Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I've been reading a lot of sites that suggest the water heater cover or welding blanket ideas, although those are more for efficiency than temperature control. Personally, I went for the lazy/overkill idea of getting a DigiQ to deal with the constant Vegas wind.

The new PartyQ is a lot cheaper and would do the same thing.

There are a ton of suggestions for enclosures on https://www.virtualweberbullet.com as well.
http://amazingribs.com/ has suggestions too, including a link to harbor freight welding blankets like you mentioned.

I love my Weber Smokey Mountain/DigiQ combo, but I am looking for cheaper (and equally lazy) solutions to suggest to others.
My first target is one of those propane cabinet smokers, preferably a steal off Craigslist, but I see a lot more cheap offset smokers.

I know people diss them, or complain of a bacony flavor but they seem more fun to mod and like they'd be better than electrics.
If I go that route I'd try an alton brown flowerpot smoker first.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Plywood would be good if you can find it cheap- a cheap temperature controller like an iQue or PartyQ is a lot easier to use and store, and only about twice as expensive as 2 or three big sheets of plywood and a couple of sets of hinges.

They are running 139$ right now for either, I think. If I buy another ATC it will be one of those, or splurging on a CyberQ.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Vegetable Melange posted:

While I know this is the smoking thread, I was wondering if anyone had experience pit smoking a piglet. I was wondering how much lump charcoal and how long to cook it by pound, specifically.

This is something I've wanted to do for a while. Raichlen's "How to Grill" has some basic instructions on it, based on a 50 pound pig. For that size, he says about 30-50 pounds of fuel, 4 logs or 3-4 pounds wood chunks, and about 5 hours. I'd go with the 50 or even more for lump, depending on how good the quality is. 6-10 pounds per hour is his estimate. I've certainly heard of pig cooks going on a lot longer than that, though. Hell, it's not abnormal for me to go longer than 12 for two butts (14-18 lbs), let alone the whole hog!

I don't want to start a charcoal argument, but lump is not the best choice here.In the pictures, he's using briquettes, and that says something cause he usually likes lump. I'd go the same way, a lower and long burning fire is what you want. See if you can find a deal on Royal Oak or Kingsford Competition- those are my go-to, easy to find, consistent fuels for my smoker.

Then again, if you've got a lot of cheap lump you can use that, it just burns quicker and hotter.

Fake Edit: Are we talking earthen pit or metal pit? The recipe I'm looking at is on a pig cooker.

EDIT: Fo reals this time. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/whole_hog_cooking.html
He even has a cinder block pit design! This site seems pretty good, but if any goons have criticism I'd love to hear it.
This site is rapidly becoming my #2 fave besides virtual weber bullet.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 13, 2012

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/building_a_hog_pit.html

Link for the lazy, that's as sound a design as I've seen. Most are just cut open barrels, metal boxes or pits anyway, heat control is achieved by shoveling the coals into the right place.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Those homemade power controllers look like they have some nice features, but they don't seem to be any cheaper than the cheapest commercial ones. Of course they have as many features as the really expensive models (CyberQ, Stoker) by man is that a lot of effort to get there.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I am but not with a soldering iron.

I kind of want to teach a class on barbecue where I work, but I only own vertical charcoal smokers. I want to try some other smokers, mostly ones that I could honestly encourage people to buy without breaking the bank or requiring lots of mods. That, and a couple to help people tame their ill-advised purchases of ECB's and cheap offsets. I have a ECB, so I can give people advice about that although it's pretty much just drill some holes, or better yet, don't buy them.

Still looking for a propane smoker. Cheap build quality I expect, but it seems like everything in my price range is just a little too small inside. I might order the Masterbuilt 40" but I'd still rather buy used. People just don't sell propane ones like they do cheap offsets and ECB's. I suppose an alternative would be to propane mod my brinkman but i think it's an out of round, air leaking lost cause.

A cheap offset is probably next on the list, they pop up on craigslist pretty regularly.

About electrics I have no clue, they're hardly barbecue in my opinion but people like em. My wife kinda wants to do low temp stuff, tofu and dried veggies, so that might work. Maybe I will try to catch a sale on masterbuilt's at the end of the season.

I need a bigger kettle too, those pop up on craigslist all the time. Masterbuilt is also making a 26" kettle for about the same price as a Weber 18". It won't last forever, but you could probably make a lot of indirect chicken and ribs in the meantime, let alone normal grilled food.

The only thing kamodo like in my price range is the Char Griller Akorn cooker, which Lowes is selling now.

Of course, if I get any of these I'll have to put the Brinkmann, my 18" Weber kettle, and possibly my Smoky Joe, up for sale.

Or I could do some crazy poo poo like build a smoker out of a fridge from my father-in-law's backyard.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html#beginner

I would try those before trying a long cook like butts. They are shorter and easier to do, and they season your smoker so that the inside surfaces become matte and it runs cooler.

Your smoker's instructions probably tell you to do a dry run anyway, to drive out any nastiness from the paint. Mid-price and expensive smokers usually don't have this step but cheap ones do.

You should look at the smoker setup instructions at amazingribs.com, for whichever type of smoker you have (I think it's a vertical water smoker, but I don't know everything they make for Lowes).

Seconding the thermometers- get a maverick or two oven thermometers, the difference can be 50 degrees.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Anybody done faux pastrami using corned beef round as opposed to flat? Debating whether to crock-pot or smoke one I got half off Sunday.

Also considering a 20$ weed burner from harbor freight.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 21, 2012

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Haha, I was more thinking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKKDWbfCm-w

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I started my corned beef "pastrami" a couple of hours ago. I kinda had some speedbumps though- I couldn't quite tell when my coal was lit enough with my new HF weed burner, and the pit probe on me guru kept wiggling out of it's seat on the end connected to the box. It read like 90 degrees or HI alternately, and I ended up opening the door on my WSM to see if it was lit. This was a bad move, because once I did get everything seated correctly it read 290 and took two hours to get down to 230, where I made a damper adjustment (I have the 10 CFM fan, it can let too much air in so I usually have to close it)and quickly got it to 225 where it is staying thanks to the guru.

I also went to Bass Pro Shops and took a look at the Masterbuilt GS40 It does look a bit cheap but no worse than any of the other propane smokers I've looked at, although admittedly those were all cheap.
It is a lot wider than any other cabinet smoker I've looked at, and I certainly wouldn't have to cut any racks of ribs to fit a bunch in there. The chip pan looked like it would need instant replacement and it probably needs one of those needle valves to turn the heat down too.

I dunno, I still wanna get one, despite people dissing on them. I'd rather my pork be a little bacony than have no smoke ring like electrics tend to do.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I did some amazingly ill timed (I.e i started spares at 4:00) ribs this Sunday, and I gotta say I now want a wide-rear end cabinet smoker just so they can lay flat. One week until I get paid, and that 200$ Masterbuilt wide-rear end gasser is looking good. I tried getting away with only half a ring of charcoal on my WSM, and had to unstack midway. I also had to roll my ribs, and got impatient and foiled them. This ended up with them being really tender, and getting sort of mangled. One fell in half when i un-foiled it, the other two had bones pop out or got big rips, It didn't matter much after I got them sauced and grilled them a bit to sizzle it on, after that they were drat tasty.

I just cannot go as lazy as electric. Some days I'm too lazy for charcoal, but I need some fire involved.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Bradley smoke generators don't generate enough heat to hot smoke, right/ I'm thinking the "turn anything into a smokehouse" product, not the propane/electric heater with the big silver cover.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Niagalack posted:

Hello savvy smoker's , I just bought a BBQ ( Napoleon p450rbnss-9 to be precise ). Now I am wondering if it's possible to smoke a brisket? I also bought a tray that I can put charcoal in it but I have never cooked with charcoal so far.. Any tips or recommendation is appreciated. Am I dumb for even thinking of trying? I wanted to buy a smoker but my budget went into the BBQ and now the family council ( WIFE ) will not approve one.

You need the optional smoker tube (or some wood chips in a tin foil packet with lots of holes poked in it). The set up is on page 20 of the brochure for your grill: turn on the left main burner tube, stick smoke tube/packet over it, put the food on the other side. From the looks of it you could do a brisket flat (as opposed to a larger whole brisket) easily. The setup would be something like this, though gas grills vary so much you will have to tinker to get it right.

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/gas_grill_setup.html

Personally, I inject my briskets with beef broth, and cook at higher temps then foil when the meat reaches 150 degrees. After that it's feel- after half an hour in foil, start poking it with a toothpick then and every 15 minutes thereafter. If it goes in with a little resistance like room temperature butter you're good. If it's overdone there will be very little resistance and your meat will present poorly and fall apart. It still tastes great though, and makes great sandwiches.

Later I can post a recipe for foolproof barbecued chicken,that you ought to try first That way you can learn your setup with less likelihood of ruining your food and less cost if you do.

EDIT: and that tray is for charcoal direct grilling with some added smoke, not really smoking. That smoke tube or something improvised is what you'd use for your brisket.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 25, 2012

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Pork butts take a looong time though, that's the only issue.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Food4Less had picnics for 1.29 a pound. What they had out was sliced up and a little trimmed, but they got me a 16lb pack of 2. No brand, no enhanced meat warning, they still might be because Food4Less is owned by Kroger, who apparently sells enhanced butts and picnics. I have bought those before (on sale for less than 1$ per pound, or nothing else was available) at Smith's and they were clearly labeled as such. Literally all that was on the packer was the USDA stamp and safe handling instructions.

I guess I will have to find a way to tell if they are enhanced or not before I cook, so I don't inject or use salt in the rub if they are. It probably isn't, the law does state that it has to be on cryovacs and or labels somewhere.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Jo3sh posted:

As a followup to my previous posts in this thread:

I've been looking into a few electric smokers, and while I don't doubt that goons have had good results with them, reviews in various places have been... mixed. And, I have to admit, the idea of an electric smoker seems somehow disconnected to me.

So I am back to wood-or charcoal-fired smokers. Big Green Egg just seems a little expensive for what it is. I've already been through two Brinkmann charcoal smokers. I could weld up something out of some steel drums and various pieces of plate, but that seems like a lot of bother for uncertain results.

Maybe what I need is something that is a smaller step up than I had originally suggested. One thing that catches my eye is the 18" WSM, possibly with the addition of a pit controller of some kind for better temperature control. Or maybe I just need to man up and find someone with a plasma cutter to make the fabrication of the drum smoker less laborious.

gently caress, I dunno. What other suggestions do you guys have?

I have always liked my WSM, especially since I got my DigiQ2 a couple years back. It makes charcoal almost lazy, there is still clean-up and possibly the hassle of adding fuel but as long as tere is enough fuel and it's sealed well, the guru keeps it really steady. There are 3 different ATC's on the market that you can get for less than 150$, and if you live somewhere windy like I do, they are the best way to smoke overnight ever. They aren't all clunky like a windscreen and they store in their shipping box, which is like 1/4th the size of a shoebox.

Personally I'm looking at a cheap propane smoker, a Masterbuilt GS40 for 200+tax.
Propane for lazy and cabinet for flat ribs. The WSM is fine for butts and turkeys and the like but for flat pieces of meat like ribs or brisket, a square grate would be more convenient.

That said, char-griller is selling a new, relatively cheap kamodo for 300$ at Lowes called the Akorn cooker. But for some flash on the grill grate, it looked pretty nice.

If that Brinkmann's a smoke'n pit, it might be worth it, but I see cheap offsets for 50$ pretty regularly here. I wouldn't bite unless it was well taken care of or fairly new.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 28, 2012

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

Home Depot has them, so does walmart, and I've also seen them at kroger. You may have a little more trouble finding chunks than chips, especially if you are looking for an applewood or cherry wood instead of something like hickory or mesquite.

Bass Pro Shops has a ton of smoking stuff, including some famous rubs and most kinds of chunks (OAK YAY) not to mention everything the amateur game butcher would need to process his deer.

I'm going to scratch my plan for picnics this weekend, I gotta softball team to feed next weekend and they will still be good. I'll just get a chicken and do that recipe I was talking about but was (and am) too lazy to post at 12am.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

This is my basic process:

Rub the butts with Steven Raichlen's Lexington Pulled Pork Rub, from BBQ USA:
4 tsp sweet paprika
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper.

That makes a little more than enough for one butt, so adjust as needed.
I don't trim much fat, and I frequently inject something like the following, or just apple juice and Worcestershire sauce.

Found on virtualweberbullet.com
Chris Lilly's Six-Time World Championship Pork Shoulder Injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar 1/4 cup table salt
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
Combine all ingredients and stir until sugar and salt are dissolved.

Then I smoke, fat cap down (on a vertical smoker), with 3-4 chunks hickory at 225 till it hits 190-195, no basting, no foiling. Let rest 30 mins loosely foiled and pull. Or follow the directions for holding and storing meat here:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/storing.html

I serve on a bun with Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce, and Salad Oil Slaw with my edits. I take out some pepper flakes and chipotle powder because the original was hot as hell with the spices I use. Plus I am something of a wuss when it comes to heat on barbecue.

1 quart cider vinegar
12 oz Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 t red pepper flakes
2 T salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp celery seed
2 T Worchestershire sauce
Juice of one lemon
1 t chipotle powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 T onion powder

For coleslaw, I make an even lazier version of "Easy Salad Oil Slaw" from "Smoke in the Mountains" by Kent Whitaker.
2-3 pounds bagged shredded carrota and cabbage.
1 cup canola oil
1/3 cup vinegar
1 T garlic powder
1 t salt
1 t black pepper

If you use an immersion blender to mix it all up it emulsifies and becomes quite creamy and will stay that way for a day or so.

This is more for NC hill country style pulled pork, not Memphis style. I had to experiment for a while to figure out what I liked, which is pretty much what i grew up with in southern Va. and when I was visiting relatives in western NC.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 30, 2012

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Damnit, the weed burner start is not working out for me. It lights too much every single time. Maybe I need to use it better, or just light 4-5 briqs with it in a chimney starter.

Doing spare ribs on the WSM and chicken on the kettle, and I already botched the ribs. I used the rub from a Rendevous clone recipe and didn't read the instructions closely enough at12am last night. The rub goes on after the cook, and I put it on before. It's for baby backs, and I used St Louis cut, and I had planned on doing them slow but my smoker is running between 275 and 300. Ah well, if I keep mopping them they will still be good.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 29, 2012

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Get a second probe thermometer asap so you can measure temperature at the grate, grill thermometers are usually off quite a bit and lid temps are usually different one way or the other by a lot. That said, you are probably still in a good range regardless just keep an eye on the meat temp.

Ribs!

Ghetto Smokenator for Chicken!

Dr. Pepper barbecue sauce.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 29, 2012

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Got done with the ribs.

Bend test.

Plated

The half I didn't eat right away.

The smoke ring was not as good as last weekend's wet ribs, and the rub was way too spicy for my taste. they were less tender, and it's no surprise since the smoker ran hot. Ah well, I will eat the leftovers instead of giving them away. I wanted something different, and as the Doctor says, buys the ticket, take the ride.

Since the ribs were done early, that freed up my smoker so I'm doing a head to head comparison of my "ghetto smokenator" rigged up on my 18.5" Weber kettle with two bricks vs my WSM and DigiQ2. I have the Q set at 275 and it's holding steady- it's not acting up like earlier, if figure I didn't get the middle section seated right. The kettle is doing respectably well, and it's staying right around 260-280 with a tiny minion start of 5 briquettes lit in a chimney via weed burner . I used the knob more, and the high heat trigger less and that worked out well.

I gotta keep my eyes out for a 22" on Craigslist, it would work much better in terms of distance, coal capacity and food capacity. With a new coal grate I might be able to do a double decker.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Just stick a probe therm in through the lid vent if you don't want to drill.

Anyways, my setup with the bricks was able to hold 270 degrees on an 18" kettle with the vents half open on a minion start for like, 3 hours. Lower can be done, especially on a 22" with more volume to heat.

Bass pro shops should have the gas smoker I want in tomorrow, I will definitely post pics unless something puts me off the purchase. It's take a lot, I know it's cheaply built and will take tweaking, but it's only 200$ + tax and I have an extra tank already.

I just want to make a whole mess of flat ribs on the lazy, if Weber made a cabinet smoker for under 500$ I'd buy it.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 1, 2012

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Canuckistan posted:

You can fit a boatload of ribs on the WSM 22". Using a rib rack I've put 12 racks of ribs on.

I tend to smoke in volume and then freeze or sell the extra. I just can't see the point of doing a smoke for a few racks of ribs or a single pork butt. A food saver vacuum sealer is great for freezing Q.

I think this weekend I'm going to do some meatloaf. I can fit 6 good size loafs on and do a high heat cook in a few hours.

Yeah, but it's 400$, not cabinet style accessible and one of my goals is to learn how to use a variety of low cost but capable and highly recommendable smokers. That, and cheap offsets because I want to be able to teach people to deal with what they have if they've already got a smoker.

EDIT: If you have hot smokers, you can just stick an AMNPS in there with no other heat to cold smoke things, right? I put one on my graduation gift list and I would like to be able to use it for tofu, cheese, veggies and the like for my vegetarian wife. My plan is to use it in the propane smoker I should have by the time anybody gives me any graduation gifts.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 1, 2012

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Sarah Palin Smoker!

Like her home state, she is full of pork. A whole suckling pig in fact!

There is a Photoshop thread going on in GBS right now: (where this was shamelessly stolen from)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3482360&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

And here are some real articles on it's debut last year and its more recent showing in Chicago.

Memphis:

http://www.gomemphis.com/news/2011/may/23/tastesee-creations-marry-form-function/

Chicago:

http://linkstomemphis.com/2012/04/premiered-in-memphis-j-taylor-wallaces-metal-palin-smoker-now-showing-in-chicago.html

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I got my smoker and assembled it last night. It all looks good except for the know design issues (i.e. crappy wood chip pan, small water pan)and the door being bent on the hinge side, leading to a sizable gap and an annoying whine at low heat. I'm going to try and gently fix the door with a clamp before resorting to returns or a furnace gasket.

Beyond that I was immediately impressed by the size and the amount of cooking space. I had seen one before but somehow it was different putting it together in my backyard. It lit up immediately but it took longer than I expected to get up to temp, a little less than a WSM on a minion start.
Dry it wouldn't stay at 225, putting water in the pan helped it stay stable. I usually don't do wet pans, or at least not on my WSM, so maybe I will have to try sand. I'm going to play with it more tonight and continue the seasoning/burn in process.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Canuckistan posted:

A terracotta flower pot saucer makes a dandy heat sink, plus it's easy to foil and keep clean.

Hah, I have one that I used for my WSM before I got my guru. I just found complete with charcoal, ash and grease stains. It may need to be tinfoiled and pressed back into service. Water does work, but the dry, windy climate here makes the pans dry up too fast for overnight smoking.

Comparison shot : 18" WSM vs. "40" inch Masterbuilt XL.
I use quotes because it's not 40" tall.

I need to do a better door mod on my WSM, and replace the metalized tape over the vent the Guru mount is on.

The gap:

Cheap Chinese XL smoker, meet cheap Chinese over-sized clamp.

This appears to be working, the gap is visibly smaller. the clamp is off now though because I am seasoning it and running it with a couple water pans to see how it holds up. It can go lower heat but if I do it makes an annoying squeal. I kind of want to try the needle valve thing, when it gets over 100 at night outside it's going to need some help to stay under 250 let alone 225+/-.

EDIT: Seems to be at 220 now, still I am worried about higher ambient temps. Maybe it was the wood chunks smoldering that did it?

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 3, 2012

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I just found a deal on Farmer John products, buy 3 get 6$ off. I used it on baby backs, it made them almost as cheap per pound as spares.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

It's not my smoker, it's one GBS stumbled across and Photoshopped the hell out of. I'm nowhere near that talented (or demented).

Picnics:

I have ribs on too , but the goddamn wind blew out my propane smoker! They sat for less than an hour but it's still gonna eat up my margin for error.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 5, 2012

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

They were well-liked by the co-ed softball team from my work. They killed the ribs too- I had to tin foil them to get done on time, and I had no time to re-harden the crust so I just sizzled on the sauce and went. I've made ribs 3 times so far, and the ones I foiled turned out better in my opinion.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I have a smoke going for Mother's day. I got a 3 lb. fillet of salmon from Costco for the main attraction, but I wanted some pig too. Albertsons had a special on previously frozen spares for 2.49 a pound, but they were gone when I got there. I asked the meat department guy if they had any more and he gave me the same price on some racks of fresh, non-enhanced spares! There was a catch, though- they are a weird cut, Farmer John "prime cuts" which look like a St. Louis rack cut in half lengthwise. I got a couple, because at that price it was worth a try. I'll see how they do tomorrow.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Yeah, even doing a "High and Fast", i.e. around 350 degrees, a whole brisket will take about 30 minutes per pound. Either way, your brisket was at the point of needing to get foiled, although the last time I did one the standard advice was to foil between 165-180. Then check after an hour for doneness, which was when a toothpick or skewer went in the flat sever places about as easy as room temp butter. If you stick it in and flicked it, it should wiggle like jello.

I know they have a more exact and formulaic recipe posted on the virtual Weber bullet forums, supposedly contest winning.

I've tried low and slow and high and fast on select briskets, and low and slow always dried them out. The High and fast way sometimes produced falling-apart brisket but it was always well liked. Injecting helped too, and leaving on some fat and doing it fat side down in my Weber.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 14, 2012

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

gently caress, Beaten.

Cured 4 hours, smoked 2.5 at 225+ a little due to wind and air leaks.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 15, 2012

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Goddammit they need to do a deal on Comp, I won't touch blue bag because of the start up smell.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

poo poo! I have a softball team of 15-20 to feed tomorrow, but I can't get much of the daytime off. Budget is ~40$. I get off at 5, mealtime is 10:15. I'm thinking pork loin Matambre (stuffed whith sausage and veggies, and wrapped in bacon), chicken halves/quarters/thighs, or maybe get some 5 pound butt roasts and smoke em while I'm at work. I prefer whole, but smaller is faster and 5-6 pounds leaves room for error.

I'd have to get my rear end out of bed for that last one though.

Or I could sink to fatties, but gently caress that they look gross.

EDIT: A Matambre, some pulled chicken (88 cent leg quarters, yes please), and
sadly, a fattie. I'm going to leave it plain and see how it does under the chicken.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 1, 2012

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

cornface posted:

If the weather is decent this weekend I am going to try to do a brisket using the high heat method. I picked up a ~10 lb packer last night.

Any pointers or suggestions for rub/sauce recipes would be great. I think my main concern right now is being able to keep the temp in the WSM up that high.

Just as mentioned is pretty good, but if you go with the #5 sauce, definitely add the drippings, and add hot sauce to taste. High heat briskets have always worked well for me, regardless of rub or sauce.

I've had some temperature issues with my XL Masterbuilt but they are largely solved by adding more meat or a pan of beans. More ballast keeps it even. It also got a bit better once it started to get seasoned in a bit, which is par for the course for anything. The biggest issue here in Vegas with everything is the wind, and my barbecue Guru helps with that a lot on my Weber.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

WaterIsPoison posted:

I have an electric Weber grill (Weber Q series and not out of choice but of necessity) and I'm wondering if I can purchase a smoker box and just place it directly on my heating element. Will this work or am I pretty much poo poo out of luck?

I have the bigger gas Q series (Q300) and I've stuck an a-maze-n pellet smoker on there a few times to good effect. Alder pellets plus salmon fillets rock.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I smoke roasted a whole chicken on my 22" kettle last night, and it came out pretty good. I got air temps at the vent of over 325, which got the skin all brown and crispy. Still, the meat could have been done better, the thighs were alright, but the breast was too hot. I'd normally expect dry chicken out of that but you could cut it with a butter knife. I've tried types of chicken cuts for smoke roasting or indirect grilling, and halves are the best balance of laziness vs. results. Whole chickens are easy but don't give the best results (typically overdone breast meat like a turkey). Pieces cook quickly, and you can pull them at the appropriate temperature for the piece, but it's easier to mess up the timing or the placement and get overdone meat. Halves take a little longer to cook, but much less prep time and they are easy to turn and baste.

As for direct grilling, I am way too lazy to direct grill chicken. With indirect grilling, sometimes I overcook things if I am away for too long. With direct grilling you can't leave at all and you can get flare ups, or even charcoal your chicken by lighting it on fire with relative ease.

As for smoking chicken low and slow, it's ok, but indirect grilling at over 300 for a crispier skin is better.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

The recipie I used (Steve Raichlen's) was for hot smoking, but it used 2/1 sugar to salt + various herbs and pepper. You may be using too much salt or curing too long if it gets dry like that. Raichlen usually suggests 4 hours. I've done it less, and my guests preffered it but again, the fish gets fully cooked the way I do it.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I'm having a hard time hitting 325 with my WSM/Guru combo- it's not even hitting 265. Maybe it's the cool 37 degree breezy weather. Oh well, I have a pellet smoker or an oven if it's not hot enough by the time the Turkey hits 145.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

No, this is on a BBQ Guru temperature controller so everything is shut but they bypass on the fan, which is wide open. It's a 10 CFM fan, over-sized for my 18.5" 8 year old beat up and leaky WSM. It's certainly gone above 265 before, just not when it was this cold. I'm using Kingsford Comp briquettes, I gave up on using lump years ago, too peaky.

It's a full ring and I blasted the lot with a weed burner, that should have lit the top layer.

I took a good digital thermometer to the top vents, thinking that something was off with my pit probe. The result was 270-295, with the lower result after opening the lid to re-position the pit probe. My thought is that the gravy pan below is putting off steam that is lowering the temperature. I should look into new probes too, they are 8 or 9 years old.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 25, 2016