Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I’m thinking about dipping my toes into slow cooking and have been looking at different kamados. Is there a good site that does reviews or comparisons?

Recs are of course also welcome. I’ve been grilling on char coal for years on my weber but not much of a chef. I’d like to learn more on preppijg the meat myself along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Ok so I didn’t bother trying to slow cook in my weber kettle bbq as I managed to score a great deal on a large kamado.

As it was recommended to not heat the kamado up above 200 degrees (celsius) the first 3 times, I bought a bunch of ribs. Made rub, sauce and spray and had a 4 hour session of smoke and fire over the weekend.

It was fun trying to dial in temperature control with the top vent and air intake slider in the bottom. Took some time to keep it steady but I got there after some tries.

The downside of this is that it tasted so good that I probably won’t be enjoying ribs in restaurants anymore. The upside is I’ll probably be cooking at least once a week!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

That masterbuilt smoker looks amazing!

Last week I made some (4lbs) pork belly burnt ends and spare ribs.

Started out prepping the burnt ends with some olive oil and pork rub.

All prepped and ready to smoke for 2.5 hours on apple tree wood snips.

In the meanwhile I prepped the ribs.

Made some apple vinegar / apple juice / jack daniels mix to spray the ribs every 30 mins. Let them
Smoke for 3 hours.

During the smoke I made the bbq sauce which consists of honey, allspice, butter, ginger and beer After about 2 hours of smoking I put the cast iron skillet with sauce on the bbq to heat the sauce. After 30 mins the burnt ends were added to the skillet to soak up the sauce. Forgot to take pictures of it :doh:

Wrapped the ribs in tin foil after spraying them some more and then left them on for another 1.5 hours before applying sauce and leaving them for another half hour.

When picking them up from the bbq they literally broke apart, witnessed by the spare bone in the following picture.

Burnt ends came out really nice and tasted amazing.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Tim Whatley posted:

Got a Traeger 780 Pro today. Excited to join this thread.

Congrats on never being able to leave a steakhouse again without thinking “meh, I can do better in my own backyard”.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

This is true, but in that case you might reframe it as: you're not really paying someone else to cook, you're paying someone else to clean up the mess

That’s a great way to look at it differently and feel less bad about it.