Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Someone at my office wants to buy me a smoker. He said it needs to be thru Amazon, and around the $50ish range. I took a quick look and found these two:

Masterbuilt 20060416 Charcoal Bullet Smoker

Char-Broil American Gourmet Offset Smoker, Standard

Are these good choices? Should I go with one over the other? Is there another I should consider? I could probably talk him as high as $70 for the right one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks, I figured that was probably the case. I'm going to suggest he instead buy a more expensive one for the office.

All suggestions welcome!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Someone at my office wants to buy me a smoker. He said it needs to be thru Amazon, and around the $50ish range. I took a quick look and found these two:

Masterbuilt 20060416 Charcoal Bullet Smoker

Char-Broil American Gourmet Offset Smoker, Standard

Are these good choices? Should I go with one over the other? Is there another I should consider? I could probably talk him as high as $70 for the right one.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

ada shatan posted:

You get what you pay for. I'm sure with enough mods and rework you can probably get either of those to retain heat for a while, but not without a good amount of frustration along the way.

I'd suggest maybe looking at this:
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-1211001-Jumbo-18-Inch-Portable/dp/B0098HR0RC/

I used to smoke a rack of ribs or two, or a tiny pork shoulder in something even smaller than that.

I already own the 14", but I'm thinking I'll tell him to buy this for the office instead. Just a matter of finding a place to store it now, our building got sold last week.

BritishRacingGreen posted:

Honestly for that money I would ask him to get me a probe thermometer and save up for a smoker on the side. I don't really think it's worth spending less than $150 on a smoker, and that's the bare minimum. Everything below that is made with questionable craftsmanship and even more questionable materials.

That's a good idea, I don't have one of those yet.

VERTiG0 posted:

Ask him to buy you a used Weber 22.5" kettle off of Craigslist and start there. That, IMO, is the absolute best entry level smoker that exists. Not only can you properly smoke on it, but it's primarily a grill. Weber kicks rear end. You will need a pit thermometer though (to measure the internal air temp as well as the internal meat temp).

Has to be from Amazon, they're a client of his. So I could suggest he get the 18" Weber Jumbo Smokey Joe for the office, but if he insists on getting something for me, I'd either go with the thermometer - or how about this for my gas grill? Are these any good?

https://www.amazon.com/Hardwood-Pellet-Smoker-Box-Grills/dp/B06Y4FDLFQ/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Just asking again, outside of a real deal smoker is this a worthwhile thing to have? https://www.amazon.com/Hardwood-Pellet-Smoker-Box-Grills/dp/B06Y4FDLFQ/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thank you both. Gonna tell him to buy the 18" Weber, not for me but for the office.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Let me guess, he wants to hit that 165 to be sure all bacteria are killed, plus a little extra to be on the safe side?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That's a problem on their end. Just wait it out.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Nipples

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Shut up and let us have fun being creative with gadgets.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

*moot

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

DiggityDoink posted:

Nice meltdown.

Faster than rendering fat.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Fire cleanses all

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I've spotted a new in box Masterbuilt electric smoker for $225. Person bought two but only uses one. Not sure of the size (retail $299). Good deal to jump on?

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 25, 2018

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Mikey Purp posted:

I got my 30" Masterbuilt from Walmart for $50 when they were clearing out stock at the end of last year's BBQ season, so if you can afford to wait it'll probably be worth your while.

BlueTooth version? I forgot to mention that. Sounds like it's this one: https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20072115-Bluetooth-Smart-Digital-Electric/dp/B00TJ1OZR0

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I am going to a Meat Auction tonight. I imagine the pricing will probably be ridiculous, but what the hell - if nothing else it looks like it'll be fun to watch. Maybe I will walk out with something.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I was at a pub trivia a few weeks back and one question was to name the 5 grades of beef. I got Prime/Choice/Select right, but didn't know that there's also Standard and Commercial (below Select).

Just did some Googling, and learned there's even three more below those two: Utility, Cutter, Canner.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Masterbuilt 30" smoker $99.99 with free shipping: https://www.bradsdeals.com/p/358977?c_id=3393&u_id=67424549

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Babby's first smoke is tomorrow morning! :woop::woop:

I got an ECB at a yard sale, and with a friend's help did these mods to it:

https://www.smoking-meat.com/modify-brinkmann-ecb-smoker

Basically,
- Added a proper thermometer, though I do have a probe one as well
- Drilled holes in the charcoal pan, also got an 8" grate for it
- Drilled holes in the lid and added this venting damper: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00820VEOQ

Picked up a 3.8lb pork shoulder/butt. Am I correct in what I'm reading at Meathead's website? Salt it tonight, then add the rub tomorrow before putting it in the smoker?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Crap, I just finished putting on the rub (then vacuum sealed it and put it in the fridge). Wish I had seen this before, but oh well. All part of the learning experience. I would like a nice crunchy bark, but I'll remember that for my second attempt. Cheers.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks! I have most of a huge bag of charcoal, as well as a regular size bag. I can always run out and grab more if needed.

And yes, I "- Added a proper thermometer, though I do have a probe one as well"

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So it went on about 20 minutes ago. I lit a chimney of Kingsford briquettes, and waited until they went from black until halfway grey. Dumped them in the charcoal pan and waited to see what temp the smoker would get up to. It got up to around 280, and I realized I hadn't put water in the water pan so I did that.

After it got down to the 220-240 range I put the meat on the top grill, and added 3 hickory wood chunks. I'm opened the door on the smoker open to vent the heat, it hit 300 with it closed but around 285-290 with it open

Just had a brilliant idea, used tongs and removed one of the flaming wood chunks and set it in the Weber chimney. Sitting on 250 now.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

4.5 hours later I'm only at 150. Should I be worried? I was hoping to be done 4 hours from now.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Akorn Jr. Kamado Kooker $109 Shipped - from Amazon

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I just figured that you've been working out, your modem is broken and your phone eats half the posts you try to make. You should try this one more time.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That smoke ring is the color of pastrami, looks super appealing. Nice job!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I eat baby skin posted:

It seems like it would be difficult to raise half a hog.

Seems like it would be extra lean

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Fall Dog posted:

How does this look?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Don't know if this model is any good, but I saw it in today's Brad's Deals email:

Landmann 26" Electric Smoker $75 Shipped from Walmart

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Paper or foil first, then a towel over that.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

tater_salad posted:

From Utica I see

No, it's an Albany expression

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

toplitzin posted:

My smoker has died.

Long live my smoker.

Did it go up in smoke? :dadjoke:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bluedeanie posted:

I have a Brinkman smoke n grill with the lovely "warm/ideal/hot" thermometer. Any recommendations for a good replacement that will still fit in the hole of the original? I assume it is fairly standard but don't want to risk ordering one I can't use.

I bought a similar sized one hoping I could swap it out, but the hole and the way it mounts is different than something conventional. I ended up just drilling a hole next to it and inserting my new one. I use that for checking the ambient temp in the smoker, but per the other advice you've already received I also use a probe to check the food's temp.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

15" Kamado $199

How good a smoker would this be? Decent for the price or not worth it?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sacrifice him.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Odds are good he's got the ECB, for which several mods were linked way back in this thread to improve performance. Still, if it were me I'd literally consider an affordable electric and call it an early Christmas gift.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Brinkmann ECB mods

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

For real, would you & your parents be open to the idea of just buying him a cheap but good enough electric smoker, and calling it an early Christmas gift? Who knows, it could be what gets him into the hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Are there typically noteworthy Black Friday deals on smokers?