Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 57 minutes!
Looking to get my first smoker, leaning towards electric so hopefully it creates less smoke so I don't bother the neighbors. Was leaning towards the black 30 inch MES but I see that it doesn't have the RF remote/temperature like the stainless steel has. Worth $40 for that (and a window, I guess)? Seems like it would be useful for a newbie when paired with a wireless meat thermometer so I know temp in the smoker and temp in the meat at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Thanks for the feedback. I thought the remote would be more useful and I thought I definitely wouldn't need the 40. No window 40 it is, thank you!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Hmm... Seems like the black model with no window doesn't come in a 40 inch version?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation

Colostomy Bag posted:

It's easy for us to spend other people's (meaning yours) money.

Just wanted to say I appreciate you taking the time for such a detailed response. Something to think on, I guess. Hopefully I can make a decision and post about all the delicious meat I'm making soon!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Ended up getting the 30 inch MES. Put a 6 LB pork shoulder in at 5am today. Wanted to be sure I wasn't dealing with that tonight if it took longer than expected, being my first smoking and all. Pretty sure I just hit "the stall" so I wrapped it in aluminum foil and put it back on.

Looks and smells delicious already. Can't wait to try it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Mine hit about 160 and was stuck for some time. This seems to be a good enough explanation for me, so I tried the foil bit. As soon as I wrapped it it started increasing at a similar speed to what it was before the stall. The entire process took about 8 hours on my 6 LB pork shoulder. Super happy with it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation

Farking Bastage posted:

Pulled on the left and money muscle sliced on the right. Goddamn that was tasty.

Hmm... yours definitely has more of a smoke ring than mine did. I was wondering if only really "smoking" it for 4 hours was going to have an effect, since it didn't really make sense to keep adding woodchips when it was wrapped with foil. May need to rethink this.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Interesting, thank you for taking the time to explain that. I think next time I am going to try without wrapping, just to see the difference.

Not necessarily directed at you, but more for everyone - The recipe I used didn't mention wrapping or using a binding to help the rub stick to the meat. If I end up not doing wrapping, should I do some sort of binding to help keep moisture in?

I'm thinking I have a lot of reading, a lot of trial and error ahead of me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
I was talking to my coworker about it and thought that maybe it was a factor of using an electric smoker. That's good to know, and also good to know that the smoke ring isn't indicative of the final product. I really like the taste of the pork shoulder I made yesterday. It doesn't taste smokey in the center of the meat, but I don't think it's supposed to. Overall very happy with it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation

Farking Bastage posted:

I'm doing another shoulder today :)

It's injected with a mixture of apple juice, lemon juice, Worcestershire, salt, sugar then dry rubbed with "magic dust" It's a 9 pounder so I'm probably looking at 7 hours or better. The back park of my land is all hickory, so I just take my handy limb saw out back and cut down some really green limbs and use that for flavoring. Works awesome.

Looks good! I am going to have to try injecting next time, yours looked great last time around.

Getting ready to go shopping for some ribs. Going to try Memphis Style. Going with the dry rub recipe from this, but going to cook it much lower - http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/06/memphis-style-dry-ribs.html

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Ribs finished and they're good, but not as tender as I would have liked. What temperature do you guys usually cook ribs at and for about how long?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
That sounds magical.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
But we gotta make sure we cook this mystery meat first. Can't buy the proper cut before we use this one!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
I hope it's Hickory!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Because you've completely ignored everything anyone has posted in response to you and you've repeatedly shown how completely idiotic you can be.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
This totally feels like one of those threads that mods were just move from sub-forum to sub-forum to turn it into a classic SA thread.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
I have an electric smoker, the MES 30 inch, because I live in an apartment in a city that also has strict fire codes and it seems to produce meat that is smokey, which is something my oven cannot do.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Smoked wings tonight.

http://dontsweattherecipe.com/amazing-smoked-chicken-wings/#wprm-recipe-container-13338

Was good. I did them at 240 for 2 1/4 hours, then grilled for a couple of minutes each side. When I do them again I'll probably skip the grill. They were crispy enough out if the smoker.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation

DiggityDoink posted:

I like my chicken skin super crispy and I've never managed to get them that way under like 400. Last time I did wings I smoked, pulled them under temp, then tossed them in the oven for a bit to crisp them up.

Yeah, I was surprised they were as crispy as they were when I pulled them out. I have an electric smoker, but I doubt that's the reason. I'm still rather new to this and it was dark by the time I pulled them, so I'll have to pay more attention next time.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation

Larrymer posted:

:same:

Did you use a water pan in your smoker for these or not? I assume they'd get more crispy without.

I did! I have an MES 30, if that helps any. It was pretty windy out yesterday and even though I had the exhaust clamped down as low as I could, I'm wondering if wind was blowing in it, causing the element to run more, giving it more direct heat than normal?

I dunno! I didn't open the door at all the entire cook, so I didn't really keep an eye on them. I think I'll just pay more attention to them next time before just tossing them on the grill.

They were great, though. Highly recommend.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
I'm smoking brisket for the first time tomorrow. I'm scared! Hold me!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation

atothesquiz posted:

Start 1 to 2 hours earlier than you already planned on.

Larrymer posted:

This but like 4-5

Well, I started it at 6am and I'm planning on wrapping it so I guess we'll see...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation

atothesquiz posted:

If you have a fear that it'll be done too soon, just wrap the wrapped brisket in a towel and stick it in a cooler. It'll be too hot to touch for a considerable amount of time. Best of luck!

It went well and I did leave it wrapped in a cooler for about an hour and a half. Took abour 12 hours all said and done. Was a 3 lb point and there wasn't a bite left after the wife and I ate.

It was almost falling apart. I think wrapping at like 155 may have made it a bit too tender / broiled? I am going to try to wrap it a little later next time and possibly throw it on the grill at the end to give it some char. It was excellent though, especially for a first time.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation

atothesquiz posted:

Looks good! I wrap when I see the color I want the brisket to be, not by temperature. Try that next time.

ROJO posted:

I usually wrap after an hour or two of stall...wrapping right at a specific temp (which my dad has done a couple of times) seems to be too premature and result in overly falling apart brisket. I'm doing one on Saturday, and am going to try butcher paper instead of foil for the first time, to see if that turns out better.

One day I'll man up and go for a full unwrapped cook, but just don't want to commit to an overnight cook.

Both good tips. Will try that next time. Thanks thread!

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 29, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
I'm thinking about smoking lamb shanks next weekend. I've never had lamb shanks before. Just saw them at the butcher and thought they looked good. Anyone got any tips?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation

DiggityDoink posted:

I've only ever heard of braised lamb shanks never smoked, so I looked it up and a few of the recipes I found call for smoking it and then finishing it as a braise. That'd work as you'd get all the smokey goodness in there before getting it in a braise to tenderize and keep it moist.

That's kind of what I'm seeing as well. Apparently lamb shanks are fairly popular for Easter? I did not realize that.

Going to be giving them a shot this weekend. Will post results and if anyone else has done them, tips would be appreciated!

[Edit: This dude seems like he just smoked them the whole way through. I might try that just to see how it turns out.]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q9KobaQMUo

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 8, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
I've been really enjoying my MES 30. It feels like I'm cheating, and I think that's probably accurate, but that's about how much effort I want to put in right now. It seems like cleanup is probably a bit more of a pain than non-electric smokers, but it's not too bad. I'm in an apartment so I don't have much of a choice right now, but it's been working great for me and it was very reasonably priced.

[Edit: For clarity, since there are multiple 30 inch MES, this is what I have - Masterbuilt 20078715 Electric Digital Smoker Front Controller, 30-Inch, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SKO7C18/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_O-V8AbZJ716EA ]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 9, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Ended up smoking the lamb shanks and just leaving them in the smoker the entire way. Pretty good! Very different flavor. I don't think I've ever had lamb shank before, but it's good!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation

Doom Rooster posted:

Brisket shibari. Post pics.

Should not have Googled that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm looking at the Masterbuilt 20071117 30" Digital Electric Smoker - with a 15% off Ebay coupon, I can get it for $145 shipped.

Doom Rooster said he's satisfied with his (though he recommends the 40",) and I was wondering if anyone else would recommend it? It seems to have good reviews everywhere except for AmazingRibs, and the article seems to be referencing an older model, so I think I just need to discount their input.

This will be babby's first smoker and I think a 40" would be overkill at this point.

I went with the Masterbuilt 20078715 30'' instead. It's about $50 more, but I had heard about problems with the way the 20071117 controller was located, causing it to overheat and possibly collect water. It is my first smoker and I am super happy with it. I haven't felt regret over not getting the 40'' yet and I have smoked probably about 10 times or so. It's just the wife and I, so we usually have more meat than we can handle anyways. :mmmhmm:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation

jonathan posted:

PS I've mentioned this before if you look at my posts in this thread but my masterbuilt smoker is a champ.

I leave it outside in the winder under 3 feet of snow and -40. I then just turn it on to melt the snow off. I spray the inside with oven cleaner and pressure wash it out whenever I do smoked salmon. I leave it in the hot direct sun all summer.

How does spraying the inside with pressure washer not damage the heating element? I'm amazed, since they tell you very clearly to keep water away from it. That's crazy.

Also, they do sell a cover you know. :v:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation

Casu Marzu posted:

Tall burgers are an affliction.

Finally, something we can all agree on.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Usually places that are that strict about propane tanks also have a "no open flames" rule that means you can't use wood or charcoal.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation

CoolHandMat posted:

i got an electric Dyna-Glo 30 in. Analog Electric Smoker this christmas, and have sinced used it a half dozen times - pork shoulders and ribs. Everything eventually turned out awesome, but for some reason (probably due to outside temp under 30 F) i wasnt able to get the electric smoker much higher than 200 degrees, so everything took a few extra hours or i finished it off in the oven.

Is this common with electric smokers - heating issues? or should I credit the outside temp?

And lastly, should i be scrubbing out the liquid and woodchip tins? they are getting pretty gummed up.

I haven't yet had a problem with my MES 30'' (like the other poster said, has the smaller heating element) and I've done a couple of smokes in sub-freezing temp. I haven't had the need to go too high, but it has definitely done higher than 200 F in those circumstances. I'm sure it's just a function of your specific heating element and the degree to which the smoker is insulated.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
What do you all think about this recipe for baby's first fish smoking?

https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/seafood/smoked-salmon

I don't have a traeger, so I'm assuming the "smoke" setting is just a lower temp to smoke it for a bit without drying it out. Any thoughts on temp?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation

Hed posted:

Here's what I do

Thanks for this. So you don't always have to leave it out to form pellicle? I noticed both your recipe and the one I linked does not do that. That's mostly what I was looking to avoid, for simplicity's sake, so I may just give yours a shot. Thank you!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Well, got my salmon in. Using the recipe Hed posted earlier (thanks again!) Forgot to take before pictures, but I'll definitely take after pictures. Using Pecan, since the wife wanted that over Apple and I don't have Cherry.

One lesson so far. My MES 30 will not produce smoke when set to 150-160. Previously I had been able to get it up to temp, throw the meat in, throw the woodchips in. Now I know to get it up to a higher temp, like 190 or so, then throw woodchips in to get them smoldering, then back the heat down to 150-160, THEN put the meat in.

No worries, live and learn. I purposefully didn't buy an expensive cut or amount of salmon since this was the first attempt.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation

Subjunctive posted:

I hot-smoke salmon at 225F and it turns out great, fwiw.

May have to try that next time. I didn't think 160 was too low, but now I know.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Biggest thing about electrics it is basically an off an on switch.

I'm not sure I understand. I guess you mean it's either at temp and smoking or not at temp and not smoking? If that's the case I might just spend the $40 for the cold smoker attachment.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 10, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Finished the salmon. It was great! Could have used some more smokey flavor, but I'll figure out a solution for that next time around. Still had a good amount of pecan flavor.

Moey posted:

Just get one of these and never look back.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/category_s/12.htm

I have never used actually fed chips into my MES30, used this from day one.

Thanks for posting this. I had heard these references but hadn't actually looked into them. Seem cool, but I just bought a bunch of woodchips. Might look into it later. In the meantime, I'm cool with cooking the fish at a higher temperature for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation

Doom Rooster posted:

Salmon looks superb! Very nice job.

The Amazen is great, and I love it in my MES. You'll love it if you get it.

That being said, you can get good smoke out of the MES at lower temps. The smoke production in an MES has nothing to do directly with the temp of the smoker, and everything to do with whether it is heating up or not. The chips are in a tray directly over the heating element. If you put the chips in before turning the MES on, you'll be smoking by 140 (assuming you are not in Arizona starting the smoker at 110 ambient or something.)

Putting a couple of trays or foil packs of ice in there will keep temps lower, and cause the heating element to stay on/keep kicking on, generating more smoke.

Thank you!

Interesting. I was kind of thinking the same thing when I started noticing the lack of smoke. I was thinking maybe I should just leave the door open for a bit so that the heating element kicks on. That's also why I had set it to a higher temp temporarily, thinking it would cause the heating element to run. Good to know that if you throw the chips in first that works. May be worth doing for a shorter smoke like fish.

Thanks all for the help and suggestions.