Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I'm very jealous of you all. I'm new to smoking/grilling and only have a small weber charcoal grill. I'm ordering my PBC next week but reading this thread every day makes it hard to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

El Jebus posted:

How big of a Weber? I was smoking in my performer before jumping to the WSM. I could do full butts but a packer brisket would be too big. I've been smoking tri tips with great success on the grill instead of using the huge wsm to do a short cook for a smaller cut. I partition the heat with a couple bricks and it turns out great! Because it's a smaller area, you can use less fuel, too.

22 inches. I've done some ribs and a pork shoulder but its hard to cook for 4+ people with it as there's just not enough room on the in-direct side. When I did the pork shoulder it took like 15 hours and I got tired of taking the meat off every 45 minutes to add more charcoal and adjust the temperature. I'm hoping the PBC will let me set and forget (for the most part).

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

BritishRacingGreen posted:

The PBC is a master when it comes to set-and-forget smoking. I've had 7 racks and a leg of lamb at once on it, it did fine.
Depending on conditions you can expect the charcoal (8lbs) to last you between 8-10 hours.
I smoked a whole bone-in pork shoulder on it about a month ago, 9 hours total cook time, without replacing the charcoal. I also threw on a chicken at the 6 hour mark.

That sounds amazing. Checking the temperature on the weber every 30 minutes and replacing charcoal just stressed me out so I haven't tried since.

The first time I used the grill I almost burned my house down. I made steaks on new years eve and at the end of the night I went out and emptied the ashes out of the grill. I figured all the coals were done and put the ashes in a plastic 10 gallon home depot bucket , put the grill cover on, and went to bed. I came out the next morning and the bucket had melted to the ground, the grill cover had melted to the grill lid, and one of the grill wheels was gone. I ordered an aluminum trash can, new grill cover, and new wheels the next day.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Larrymer posted:

I'm looking to get a smoker and I'm not sure what to get because everybody on the internet has different opinions. I'd like something with temperature control so I can be lazy, basically. :v: I've read about electric, gas, charcoal and still not sure what to go with. I already have an outdoor grill so I'm kind of looking for something smaller and separate just for things like pulled pork, brisket, ribs and maybe chicken.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Pit Barrel Cooker

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

djfooboo posted:

Ugh, family is so impatient. I never get to just let poo poo smoke. Always having to finish in oven with Texas crutch because girls have bedtimes! And the temp isn't rising fast enough, and maybe you should have started at 4am instead of 6am.

That's why I keep a journal. If I'm grilling anything I've grilled before it lets me see any details and cook times that I may have forgotten. I don't think I've ever grilled something that didn't take longer than what was listed.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Fog Tripper posted:

Does bacon count as slow smoking?
Got sick of not being able to find decent maple bacon, so this is part of the belly I bought at the mega costco this past weekend. 3 slabs in the cure and waiting 7 days before it hits the smoker.

This is cool. Let us know how it turns out.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Where are all the after weekend smoking pictures? Best part of Monday.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

arisu posted:

Did someone say... BACON??

Cured in a salt, pepper, and syrup brine. Smoked with apple wood. I used the Amazing Ribs recipe with syrup, cause that sounded awesome.

Internal temp of 150, hit!

20 hours in the fridge later, after it's had some time to firm up, let the slicing begin!

I might get addicted to this.

Packaged for some of my favorite coworkers, they're getting a little gift tomorrow.

Of course, the chef gets the first sample.

Holy moly I don't think I can go back to store bought anymore.

This looks great. You should try the Asian recipe next. How much was "real maple" syrup and where did you buy it?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I'm doing a pork shoulder this Saturday and wanted to try a new BBQ sauce, something spicy preferable. Do you guys have any favorites?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Okay so I'm new and did my first pork shoulder this weekend on my PBC. The pork shoulder I bought from HEB's Central Market came pre-trimmed and looked great but when I brought it home, I noticed the bottom side of it was just fat (about a 1/4 of an inch). I trimmed some of it off but it was still showing 100% fat on that side. Well, when I put it on the grill I put it fat side down at first and I think I charred it a bit due to flare ups. My shoulder still came out good but I'm curious if I should have removed all of that fat, or just started on the non-fat side and flipped it when the coals had gone down a little?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Moey posted:

So I am feeding ~30 people pulled pork on Saturday at 3pm. My super limited grocery store only had 2 port shoulders at about 8.5lbs each.

I plan in putting them Friday at like 7pm @ 225. I assume this will give me enough time to pull/wrap/rest, then shred and bring to party. Probably going to do a memphis dust rub.

Any other suggestions?

Edit: going to trim/rub them tonight, and leave them in the fridge overnight. Any point in doing a yellow mustard rub before the Memphis Dust?

From amazingribs.com:

quote:

My experience that slathers make little or no difference in the final outcome. Mustard is water, vinegar, and maybe white wine (all mostly water) with mustard powder mixed in. The amount of mustard powder is so small that by the time the water steams off and drips away, the mustard powder remaining is miniscule. If you want a mustard flavor, you will do much better by simply sprinkling it on the meat. I usually use water beacuse the components of the rub dissolve better in water than oil. Far more important is what is in the rub than under the rub. So use whatever you want for a slather.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Jamsta posted:

Not just stalling, but no barking. 4 hours and my tiny 1.5 pounder is dark but not black.

Should I chuck on more wood, or stoke what I have? Using oak and charcoal.

What's heating it? I don't see any coals or wood under it.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

There's always that one guy at the BBQ who eats your food and then suggests his "family BBQ" recipe even though he has no idea how to grill. That guy in my group suggested I marinate my pork shoulder in Dr. Pepper next time.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Stringent posted:

TFW you out yourself. Pork and Dr Pepper are delicious together and grilling has nothing to do with BBQ.

Yeah sorry I meant that post to read more like maybe he's on to something because I had never heard of Mexican Coke Ribs until now and everyone seems to think they're delicious.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

beepsandboops posted:

Happy 4th everybody! Made some baby back ribs today on my Slow n Sear with some pecan wood using the Memphis Dust rub.

Took maybe four and a half hours, another 20 minutes with the sauce on. Turned out great! Definitely going to do this again

Looks great. Good ring

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Fog Tripper posted:

Defrosting a brisket for this weekend. :toot:

You should buy your meat fresh :colbert:

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

VERTiG0 posted:

Two 10lb pork butts today, one in my Performer and the other in the PBC. Hell yeah!

How'd your PBC one turn out? I just got one and I've done three pork shoulders with mixed results. I get mine up to 206 but it still doesn't seem tender enough. It also takes me about 5 hours for a 6 lb pork shoulder.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Larrymer posted:

What temp are you smoking at? That seems WAY too fast.

I use the PBC which isn't very good at adjusting temperature. I use the amount of coals listed in the instruction manual and adjusted the vent based on my elevation at the bottom. Also per the instructions, I cover it when I hang meats from the hooks and uncover it when I use the grate. As far as I know, that's all the PBC can do in regards to changing cooking methods.

This past week I followed the instructions from their website and still felt the meat could have cooked longer, despite me getting to 206. The pork just doesn't pull apart for me like I see in professional videos.

Colostomy Bag posted:

At 6 hours I'm assuming you did hot and fast at 275 or above.

Sometimes, you do get a tough pig.

Did you rest it after you pulled it?

I don't rest based on this article at amazingribs

RisqueBarber fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 31, 2017

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

VERTiG0 posted:

Mine turned out fantastic. Perfect at 205 with a 2 hour rest. This was actually the first butt I've done in the PBC.

What was your method? Did you use the hooks or just set it on the grate? Covered or uncovered?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

sellouts posted:

Something tells me you're cooking it way too fast, man. Pork shoulder should pull apart and the time it took you is really short compared to the last several pork shoulders I've done.

I think so too but I'm just following the directions :confused:

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Larrymer posted:

You have yet to mention what temperature you're cooking at. Are you using a probe for the oven temp?

275ish but I can't really control it:

quote:

But the PBC is not really designed for temp control and it likes to cook up north of 270°F. So don't go nuts over trying to control its temp. Fiddling with the vents doesn't always work. You cannot control bursts of heat from dripping fat, for example. So you will need to get used to different cooking times than in our recipes. If you must try, you can get the PBC as low as 200°F by preventing air from escaping around one or more of the rebar exhaust ports with crumpled foil or closing the intake port. But starving coals can sometimes produce acrid smoke so it is usually better to follow these instructions and let the PBC do its thing.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

xsf421 posted:

If your pork is hitting temp in 5 hours, I'm going to guess you're way above 275.

Thanks

dalstrs posted:

I have never heard this or really experienced this. Isn't this pretty much how you control the temp on any smoker that isn't electric?

Not sure, I'm new.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Veritek83 posted:

The PBC is fine and good. I've done butts several times and they've been great. 5-6 hours sounds short though. You can definitely adjust temp by opening or closing the lower exhaust- ideally you don't have too though. The PBC help line might be a good resource.

Are you hanging the meat or setting it on the grate? Lid open or closed?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Veritek83 posted:

Hung until it hit 165 F, then crutched and on the grate until 203F. Lid closed pretty much the whole time, except for starting it. Probably an 8 hour cook all told.

I really don't think there are many scenarios in which you want to keep the lid off, other than just using the PBC as a grill.

Sorry for multiple questions but I want to do better on my next one. Did you let it rest at all? How big was the shoulder? Are you using the "recommended" amount of coals?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Veritek83 posted:

Rested it an hour or so before I pulled it. It was 8-9 lbs., bone-in, no skin. Didn't trim all that much. Filled the basket with coals, then put about a 1/4 of them in the chimney to start, let them go for 15-20 minutes and back into the basket. Let them go 10-15 minutes in the basket in the PBC, with the lid cracked and then hung the pork.

Thanks. I'm doing all of that except resting. My pork shoulder was also 5.5 lbs so that probably has something do with it.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

sellouts posted:

Why aren't you resting meat that cooks above 165f?

because I cant read

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

CoffeeBooze posted:

I really didn't like that Amazingribs article on resting. Some of the articles he linked to as sources to support his point, like the Kenji Lopez one on Serious Eats, were all for resting meat and made a strong case for it. It kind of felt like the dude had some kind of weird axe to grind on the subject and was misrepresenting what was in the articles he used to make his point.

I didn't mean for it to come across like that. I just wanted to show my work and which directions I was following. In fact, the amazingribs article says you should rest meat(he calls it holding) cooked above 165 which a poster on the previous page mentioned. I was taking the meat off at 203 and just assuming it was done and that was that. In reality, just because it hit 203 doesn't mean it done. I assumed all pork shoulders are the same and if I hit my temp I would get juicy pork shoulder like the Pros. I should have wiggled the bone or tested the meat with a fork until the pork was tender enough:

quote:

If there is a bone, use a glove or paper towel to protect your fingers and wiggle the bone. If it turns easily and comes out of the meat, the collagens have melted and you are done. If there is no bone, use the "stick a fork in it method". Insert a fork and try to rotate it 90 degrees. If it turns with only a little torque, you're done.

I'll give it another go at some point but I'm tired of eating mediocre pork shoulder left overs. I think I'll try some ribs next.

RisqueBarber fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 4, 2017

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

For those of you who use the oven-to-grill method for ribs, can you tell me your recipe and cook times? I'm renting out a lakehouse this weekend and while there is a charcoal grill available, I'm scared it will be in bad shape or I won't be able to control the temp like at home. I'd like to do most of the cooking in the oven for consistency and then move to the grill to caramelize the sauce.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

qutius posted:

Well drat, the whole hog roast was a poo poo load of work. Up at 0500 to get her hung up on the spit and secured. Took a little bit to decide on the proper height as well, but once that got figured out she started to cook away. Lots of drinking, adding fuel, picture taking, and toward the home stretch, flare management.

Learned a LOT and if I ever do it again, will feel a lot more comfortable with the whole process. Had a good crew of peeps who really threw down on helping and the 30 - 40 people that came to the party didn't do much talking once we started eating which is always a good sign.

Went through a gallon of brine that I injected the night before, over 126 pounds of charcoal, had tons of different BBQ and hot sauces, an entire table of sides and salads, and I'm not sure how much beer.

Here she is, adding the last bit of fuel about 2 hours or so before she came off the spit:

And pulling back the amazingly delicious skin to start slicing and shredding:

Not something I want to do again super soon, but it wasn't a terrible way to spend a (long rear end) Saturday.

That looks great! How much did everything cost you?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Cimber posted:

So yesterday I went and got some royal oak charcoal instead of using the kingsford briquettes that I have been using in the past.

SO. MUCH. BETTER.

I get a longer, consistant burn at temp that do not fluctuate nearly as much, and I don't have to worry about a thick ash layer choking out the coals. There was very little ash left when I was done, and even 6 hours later i was pretty stable at 225.

I've only used kingsford briquettes just for the sake of trying to keep constants. I'll have to try the Royal Oak ones.

Here's some pics from the spare ribs I cooked this weekend. 6 hours in the PBC. Very happy with it. I used Meathead's mephis dust and Stubb's hot bbq sauce. Still tinkering with sauces but I think my favorite has been Salt Lick's spicy sauce.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Dick Nipples posted:

6 hours seems long based on what I'd been reading about the PBC. I'm curious to know how you determine when they're done? I use the "break" test - pick up the rack horizontal and if the bark breaks, it's done.

I'm thinking about picking up a PBC but I'm still a little weirded out by the difference in its cook times based on things I've used in the past.

I also use the break test. It's worked every time for me.

The PBC is suppose to cook on the fast side but all of my cooks on it have taken longer than expected and I'm still trying to figure out why. I live in Dallas so I have the vent on the bottom nearly closed.

I like my PBC but its all I have so I don't have anything to compare to. I'm also a noob as I just started slow smoking in January.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

I still don't understand how the Franklin BBQ guy can smoke his beef ribs at 275 degrees for NINE HOURS. Even with spritzing every 10 minutes mine are always ready in 4 hours (and usually dried out more than I'd like.) :smith:

I think you're cooking Pork Ribs. Beef Ribs can take up to 10 hours depending on their thickness.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Water seems fine for me

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

bewbies posted:

I have to cook for ~12 or so people next weekend and they want the full bbq spectrum. How much brisket/ribs/sausages should I plan for, assuming everyone wants some portion of each?

1.5 lbs per person? I think I read that somewhere.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Here's the amazing ribs scientific article about the stall and why it happens. Start at "Dr. Blonder"

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I did pulled chicken this Sunday and it was better than my pulled pork. I typically get my chicken from Kroger and spatchcock it to put on the PBC but Kroger was out of whole chickens so I had to go to Central Market (kind of like a whole foods). Anyway, I'm used to 5.5 to 6lb chickens from Kroger so when I asked the guy for a chicken that size he told me I was crazy and that they only come 3 to 3.5 lbs max. He told me I had been buying hormone injected chickens, which I knew, but I had no idea they increased the size by that much. Nearly double the size is insane. I learn something new every time I smoke something.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

What are you guys smoking for the superbowl? I typically make wings and pulled pork nachos but I'm looking for some fun new recipes to try.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

VERTiG0 posted:

Got the PBC fired up and humming along at 270 steady as a rock with a 7lb pork butt in there. Currently 127 internal.

Had to fight with lighting the charcoal because it was snowing like a sonuvabitch earlier, but all is well now.

My PBC pulled pork. Just hit the stall at 156

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

some pictures from yesterday:

From top to bottom: Cajun, Nashville Hot, Miso, Buffalo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Tenderloin is delicious fresh but man don't ever reheat it in the microwave. It just gets mushy and gross.