Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

This was my first brisket attempt a couple months ago:

I only took the one photo and didn't realize it was poo poo until after. The center pieces seemed flappy enough but it was a little dry and didn't pull apart easily. Peppery jerky pretty accurately describes the bark. It was 7.4 lbs after trimming 5.2 lbs of fat, which may have been too much. Smoked at 180~200 for 8 hours to 145 internal, then wrapped and smoked at 250 for another 6.5 hrs to 201. Next time I'll try leaving more of the fat cap on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Doom Rooster posted:

There is only one electric smoker and its name is Masterbuilt.

Agree. I replaced my old MES 30" with a Traeger and regret it. The smoke flavor from wood chips is a lot better than pellet smoke imo. Also don't have to worry about pellets jamming an auger. Now I'm eyeing a Masterbuilt 40" electric or digital charcoal smoker, and probably gonna dump the Traeger off in someone else's yard.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

I smoked beef short ribs for the first time on the Masterbuilt and am happy with how they came out.

Took about 8 hours at 250. I didn't wrap or do anything special beyond basting it with wagyu fat and pickle juice a few times. I've noticed a lot of folks recommend wrapping it after the bark sets. I have more in the freezer so I might try that on the next one. Is the purpose of the wrap to shorten the cook time, retain moisture, or just prevent over-smoking?

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

sinburger posted:

My understanding is it prevents your meat from drying out. Wrapping in tinfoil will speed up the cooking time because you're containing the moisture as it evaporates and steaming your meat. Wrapping in unwaxed butcher paper kind of puts you in the middle, you're not steaming your meat but you aren't turning the exterior to leather by accident either.

Oversmoking isn't really a thing. You'll hit a point where you won't build more of a smoke ring, and you'll hit a point where the meat isn't really taking on more smoke flavor. But unless you gently caress up your fire and have really dirty smoke (that will taste like ashes no matter what), you can't put too much on.

Bob A Feet posted:

Those look fantastic. Bet they were delicious. Wrapping cuts down cook time. I don’t wrap unless I have to.

Thank you for clarifying. I've cooked them a few times since then and they seem to come out delicious regardless of how little effort I put into it. Last time I didn't bother trimming, dry-brining or basting. I just sprinkled on some tri-tip rub, stuck 'em in there for 8 hours, wrapped in paper with a little wagyu tallow and rested for a couple more.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

I cooked beef short ribs both sous vide and smoked to see which I preferred. Sous vide ribs were cooked at 141 F for 63 hours and then finished in a MES at 275 F for 2.5 hours. They came out fork-tender and stupid juicy and tasted magical. However I still preferred the rack that was just smoked for 7.5 hours because of the bark. The bark is real good.

I'm wondering if I can achieve a barkier texture by resting the SV cooked ribs in the fridge overnight, applying pepper and then smoking at 200 F for 4-5 hours without raising the internal temp too much. Basically wanting a dark cronchy outside with a tender pink center.

anyways here are pics of my meat

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

tater_salad posted:

Last night I had a nightmare.. My alarm went off and we were having pulled pork today.. but I never put the pork in the smoker.

:stonk:

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Fall Dog posted:

On a whim I decided to chuck a few beef ribs on to the smoker. They seem to turn out best for me when I follow a time-based routine and ignore the thermometer altogether.

Same. After doing several of them I don't bother with the probe. I set the MES to 275, pull it out at the 7.5 hour mark, then wrap in butcher paper and rest for an hour. I love them because they take practically no effort and are great every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Smoked lobster and crab: the Easter bunnies of the sea