Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Never understood the point of cruising servers. At least not with the small tracks, anyway.

They use open layouts so they are effectively longer.

There's really no point, I just find it to be zero-pressure fun that's very relaxing. Running from cops can be cool too if that's your kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Speaking of cruising, if you're a weirdo who loves distance driving on his computer like me, you should check this track for rFactor out http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Cannonball%20Run%20USA

It's got tons and tons of roads to drive and all sorts of secret shortcuts/alternate routes. I wish there was something like it for a more modern sim.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Bad Coffee posted:

Are there any inexpensive wheels that aren't the Driving Force GT? I bought one a few weeks back and it was great for a couple days, but then something inside started loosening up (I think) and now it rattles and feels terrible. This seems to be a pretty widespread problem and I'd hate to return this one only to get another that'll start falling apart so soon again.

Logitech has some of the best hardware support mankind is capable of. Contact them.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Caremad Effortpost posted:

It's got tons and tons of roads to drive and all sorts of secret shortcuts/alternate routes. I wish there was something like it for a more modern sim.
My wet dream would be something like Test Drive Unlimited, but with proper physics.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

There was an old mac game call vette that was awesome, had all of San Francisco mapped out, I'd love a modern game like this.

How much death do you forsee with rfactor 1 when the new version comes out?
I just acquired an older 6year old or so dell and would like to run an online racing game with. And rfactor looks like it could run okay on it. And for not much cash.
Can I do offline racing with it and the mods? (I'm pretty sure I can but wanted to ask anyways)

Any other recommendations for online racing that has low investment, no monthly fees (I have a family and not a ton of time) and will run on older hardware? It doesn't need to be a "sim " but I would like it to be not nfs

Edit : why is nascar 2003 @70 at Amazon? I have the Mac version of this and was thinking of grabbing the pc copy, ouch

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 2, 2012

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

tater_salad posted:

There was an old mac game call vette that was awesome, had all of San Francisco mapped out, I'd love a modern game like this.

How much death do you forsee with rfactor 1 when the new version comes out?
I just acquired an older 6year old or so dell and would like to run an online racing game with. And rfactor looks like it could run okay on it. And for not much cash.
Can I do offline racing with it and the mods? (I'm pretty sure I can but wanted to ask anyways)

Any other recommendations for online racing that has low investment, no monthly fees (I have a family and not a ton of time) and will run on older hardware? It doesn't need to be a "sim " but I would like it to be not nfs

Edit : why is nascar 2003 @70 at Amazon? I have the Mac version of this and was thinking of grabbing the pc copy, ouch

Live for Speed S2 is still one of the best sims around, and it has an active online community. The development is... slow... to the point of people wondering if we'll ever see a new version. It runs great on old hardware.

It has only a few tracks, but there's a lot of possible layouts and a lot of variety in the cars. Tire modelling does not currently get any better than LFS's -- only NetKar is comparable (some may disagree with me on this). Some of the cars are real and some are fictional, but they are all *very* fun to drive.

This is preference, but as I've mentioned elsewhere in the thread, it translates the g-forces acting on the car into the force feedback. So even though it is as brutal as other sims, it's much easier (for me at least) to feel the limit and stick to it.

It's also got probably the most customizable in-game set of options of any active sim, too.

Now, as far as rFactor goes -- as it stands right now, you have to dig around through forums to find events. There's not a lot of pickup racing at all because everyone runs a different mod. I can't imagine it'll get any better once rFactor 2 is officially out, of course, because that should move even more players away.

It's a great sim, and most people have played it for a significant amount of time, but as you clock in hours and try other sims youll probably start to realize that the physics just feel dated.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I checked online and looks like I can run lfs on my pc so I may try and run it tonight after second work

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

tater_salad posted:

I checked online and looks like I can run lfs on my pc so I may try and run it tonight after second work

There should be people playing the demo online too. For some reason the demo is still quite popular, relatively speaking.

Most players are outside of the USA (dunno where you are) but it never really matters much because the netcode is very good.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So if the number on the top left is the fps im getting 7.
Also it won't let me adjust my controlers 0 point as it is slightly to the left.
I'm going to try rfactor today as well if I get the chance
video card isn't cool enough for rfactor

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 3, 2012

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I'm not a racing sim type of person at all, but just letting you all know of an upcoming project. Kartsim.

I knew the guys making it (they were my teachers a few years back) and back then they had just switched to the Unity3d engine. They are having an open alpha/beta soon with one or two tracks and plan on having a bunch more things in the future.

http://www.kartsim.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-ZqEUe_8YA

UFS207
Oct 29, 2005
I remember reading the developers of LFS saying they would maybe release some modding tools once the game was considered complete (after the release of S3 I assume?). They seem to actively discourage any real modding for fear that people won't bother to purchase the "full" game due to a possible influx of user mods keeping the plebs sated. Understandable, but sucks all the same.

I've been playing the game off and on over the years since the original demo release....close to a decade ago. I STILL would LOVE the ability to start fooling around with track designing. I remember how much fun was had building simple layouts on blackwood with the layout editor in release S1.

What they should do is just release an editor and charge the same price as one of the periodic content releases. I'd pay the full game price all over again for the ability to design/edit tracks in this game. I'm sure many others would as well. Even something that would export the game's track files into an editable format and back again would be worth $40-50 in my opinion.

As for RBR: how is the track editing situation these days? I remember a few years back Bob's track builder was in the beta stages of being able to create tracks.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

For LFS to survive, they need to finally release S3 and modding support. I doubt that a single art guy will be able to do more cars and tracks in any sort of realistic time window.

There's competition at the horizon, and they're very interested in unsettling the rest of the sims. There's Assetto Corsa, Project CARS and rFactor, and they're making up a lot of ground in the simulation physics. And graphics. And content.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

For LFS to survive, they need to finally release S3 and modding support. I doubt that a single art guy will be able to do more cars and tracks in any sort of realistic time window.

There's competition at the horizon, and they're very interested in unsettling the rest of the sims. There's Assetto Corsa, Project CARS and rFactor, and they're making up a lot of ground in the simulation physics. And graphics. And content.

Hopefully Assetto Corsa will kill LFS, and I say this as an avid daily LFS player. I have no hopes for S3. I hope AC rules and everyone migrates over.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I really hope Assetto Corsa is more successful. The biggest issues with Netkar was their netcode (which is now fixed, and shouldn't be an issue for AC) and the lack of any real online community besides pre-planned races.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Brownie posted:

I really hope Assetto Corsa is more successful. The biggest issues with Netkar was their netcode (which is now fixed, and shouldn't be an issue for AC) and the lack of any real online community besides pre-planned races.

Also, LFS has http://lfsworld.net which is an integrated server browser, stat tracker, hotlap ranking thing, etc.

...while NetKar has nothing :geno:

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

An Enormous Boner posted:

Also, LFS has http://lfsworld.net which is an integrated server browser, stat tracker, hotlap ranking thing, etc.

...while NetKar has nothing :geno:

Exactly, Assetto Corsa needs a bigger focus on fostering a community!

EDIT: WOW that is a lot of people still playing the LFS demo...

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Brownie posted:

Exactly, Assetto Corsa needs a bigger focus on fostering a community!

EDIT: WOW that is a lot of people still playing the LFS demo...

No poo poo. There's always a 30-person server that's full playing the demo, and others usually have some players as well.

I seriously don't get it because the game is very cheap and very old. Why not drop the $20 or whatever?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The fun with the FXO alone is worth the 20 bux.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

drunkill posted:

I'm not a racing sim type of person at all, but just letting you all know of an upcoming project. Kartsim.

I knew the guys making it (they were my teachers a few years back) and back then they had just switched to the Unity3d engine. They are having an open alpha/beta soon with one or two tracks and plan on having a bunch more things in the future.

http://www.kartsim.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-ZqEUe_8YA

Any idea when "soon" might actually be, they've promised it "next week" about 5 times now, including months ago.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

No poo poo. There's always a 30-person server that's full playing the demo, and others usually have some players as well.

I seriously don't get it because the game is very cheap and very old. Why not drop the $20 or whatever?

It's 24 pounds for the full version of the game, which is ~40 dollars CAD, so it's not really that cheap, certainly not as cheap as Netkar Pro for example which is like 15 Euro's (~20 CAD).

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Amazon has it for like 20 usd for the cd version

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
So i installed the RSRBR mod for Richard Burns Rally.

My god.
:stare:

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Downloaded the LFS demo yesterday and I've been having a blast, but I refuse to buy it because S3 will likely never come out and I should just save my money for Assetto Corsa or something.

But goddamn it's fun to have great physics + great FFB + people to play with.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Brownie posted:

Downloaded the LFS demo yesterday and I've been having a blast, but I refuse to buy it because S3 will likely never come out and I should just save my money for Assetto Corsa or something.

But goddamn it's fun to have great physics + great FFB + people to play with.
Yep. It really is one of the best racing sims of all time that's simply dead in the water because there haven't been updates to it in years

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Get iracing, buy a couple hundred dollars of content and you too could be racing with these superb drivers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h9QLstSzpA&hd=1

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm not familiar with the track, but it seems like a little lift off of the throttle is all that's needed to successfully navigate this corner.. Looks like no one in that video felt like they needed to follow the rules of physics and kept it nailed to the floor.
I love how in the fist part some random dude minding his own business gets taken out by some retard in a slideways car.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Largepotato posted:

Get iracing, buy a couple hundred dollars of content and you too could be racing with these superb drivers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h9QLstSzpA&hd=1

expected goonpileup. disappointed. a shameful salesman. :)

Side note : upgrading to a DX11 video card made project C.A.R.S go from worthless to very playable. If you're testing it on older hardware, you're doing yourself and the game a disservice.

All i want out of life is a realistic dirt-oval sim that isn't an rFactor mod. :(

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Goons can drive ovals!

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
iRacing is... not for me. I'm not interested in spending that much money, especially if I'll be forced to play in racing series I have literally no interest in before being allowed to use the cars I want.

EDIT: not to mention the money for the tracks

Brownie fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 13, 2012

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'd be down for either money for tracks and cars or a subscription model, but doing both is a little excessive

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

It's more of a long-haul investment. Most iRacers say this : If you treat it like a game, it's ridiculously expensive. If you treat it like a hobby, it's a great value. You kind of get what you pay for. Definitely not for everyone though.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
A lot of people never even do official races and just use it for leagues. Don't need licenses for them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Largepotato posted:

A lot of people never even do official races and just use it for leagues. Don't need licenses for them.

This is me. In the 9 months i've been playing, I never do the official races, except time trials.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
To me it's not worth it I guess, I know I won't have enough time to play it for it to pay off in comparison to other games. The game clearly isn't targeted at me, with it's US centric car and track selection and it's emphasis on licensed content. It seems to me the development team isn't really the smartest either...

Laser scanning tracks to within a mm is cool and all, but games do this without charging $8 or $12 or w/e per track, and in the end that accuracy means very little once you transfer it to a polygonal mesh which will have a much lower resolution. They can scan every little bump all they want but current hardware can't actually support a polygonal mesh anywhere near that resolution.

Same thing with the cars, they can "weigh every part" as much as they want but in the end they're just pulling numbers from graphs to simulate engine performance.

Anyway, Assetto Corsa has a new car, the Lotus 49:
http://www.assettocorsa.net/?p=2080

EDIT: resolution, not frequency

Brownie fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 13, 2012

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

One thing I really like about iRacing is the way the camera works. You can tweak it via some config files so that the camera will stay stable with the track, and the car will bounce around independent of your head (which still moves a little). This is much more realistic, because in real life things are very shaky, but your head does its fair share in trying to keep your overall vision steady. There's an rFactor 2 plugin that does this, although it's slightly less convincing.

Compare this to every other sim, where your head is sort of anchored to the headrest. It might bounce around a bit, but you're still treated as being attached to the car, rather than an independent object inside of it. It's a subtle thing but it winds up making a huge difference.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
There appears to be a demo for the sim "Automation". Not sure if it's so much a racing or driving sim as engine building sim, but it still looks really interesting.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/16/gearing-up-automation-demo/

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Looks like SimRaceWay is going to create a new Indycar game, so says their blog.

SimRaceWay posted:

When we announced our beta in November, we listed some of the features our players could look forward to. One of those was the hosting of reproductions of renowned, real-world series on the Simraceway platform. Well the time has come to unveil our first virtual series—and it’s a biggie!

Earlier today we officially announced that Simraceway has reached a deal with INDYCAR to produce the first full IndyCar video game in years.

This landmark agreement allows us to feature all the teams and tracks from not only the current IZOD IndyCar and Firestone Indy Lights seasons, but future ones too—and we intend to make the most of the opportunity, doing these celebrated sporting events complete justice and taking the racing game genre in a whole new direction.

So who better than four-time IZOD IndyCar Series champion, Dario Franchitti, to help us get things underway with the preparation of the main car to be featured in the game, the new 2012 “DW-12” IndyCar, named after our friend and Simraceway pro driver, Dan Wheldon.

Dario was at the Simraceway Performance Driving Center recently, shaking down his real DW-12 and our virtual DW-12 back-to-back, to ensure that our players get the real deal when they download the new car to their Simraceway Garage.

We feel truly privileged to be able to work on such a prestigious series which, of course, includes one of the most renowned races in motorsport—the Indianapolis 500—and while we can’t divulge too many of our plans at this stage, we can say that the game will include live, full-size recreations of each season.

The agreement also allows us to fulfill one of our core objectives: to start blurring the line between real-world and virtual racing. We will reveal more about how we intend to do this—along with the key features of the game—at a later date but, for now, we can confirm that we will be looking for every possible chance to maximize the synergies between each virtual and actual event.

We can also announce that the game will utilize our brand new “Skillquant” technology that we’ve hinted at previously on this blog. The world’s first highly-accurate, real-time skill quantification system, Skillquant will allow us to measure each player’s driving ability to an unprecedented level of detail, allowing us to accurately match players online and ensure ultra-competitive, IndyCar-style racing.

We’re really excited about our deal with INDYCAR, and you can expect more details about our plans for the game in the near future. In the meantime, we will be whetting your appetite by releasing a range of preview IndyCar content, including the Dario-tested DW-12 racer.

We look forward to sharing more information with you soon.

Don't really give any timeline on when it'll be done but I actually kind of like the driving and FFB of SimRaceWay so I kind of have decent hopes for this.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

The Sports Coupes mod for rFactor has been released. It includes standard, cup, and GT versions of the Toyota MR2, Lotus Elise, Lotus Exige, and Ferarri F40. I'd played the MR2 and Lotus mods before, but not the F40.

This is probably the best-driving mod for rFactor I've played and they're some of the best cars I've driven in any sim (make sure to use their included RealFeel+LeoFFB inis). The FFB behavior is fantastic... you can tell exactly what the car is doing. There's actually a working sense of understeer with tires sort of "scrubbing" without grip that is surprisingly convincing. rFactor is quite old at this point but it certainly doesn't feel like it when you're driving these cars.

The MR2 is a lot of fun around the Targa Florio. I'm too stupid to handle the F40, though.

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 11, 2012

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

New build of the rFactor 2 beta out. I haven't played it yet, but people are reporting performance boosts and better graphics. The Meganes, Formula Renaults, and Nissans all received updates, and a new high-powered formula series (similar to F1) was added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

New build of the rFactor 2 beta out. I haven't played it yet, but people are reporting performance boosts and better graphics. The Meganes, Formula Renaults, and Nissans all received updates, and a new high-powered formula series (similar to F1) was added.

It's a MAJOR step forward. They have done some experimenting with shaders and such and it really has a great look to it. The physics have been further improved and the cars provided so far are much more predictable. To be honest what was out prior to this could almost be called alpha because the difference is amazing. It's still beta, it runs like a dog, some textures and sounds are still pretty bad, HDR and shadows are way off, but im loving it now.

The new Formula Masters (F1) cars are very good too, worth a try for someone who's only interested in F1 sim stuff.

• Locked thread