Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
It might be worth throwing a line in about VR friendliness, I can offer some info if needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

That's a great looking OP.

Cockpit talk might be worth a couple lines in "other hardware" For the amount of shopping I'd done before committing, I can be quite confident in saying Obutto pits are the best bang for your buck, short of building one yourself. I can potentially put a few lines down talking about them in the next day or so, if you like.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
As in "games that properly support Occulus"? Sounds good. A short list under the hardware section might be good.

I hope Occulus comes out this year. As someone who doesn't have the space for a tripple-screen I'm really looking forward to it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

GhostDog posted:

Care to write a four sentence paragraph about it? :)

Sure, I'll put something together tonight.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Nerdrock posted:

That's a great looking OP.

Cockpit talk might be worth a couple lines in "other hardware" For the amount of shopping I'd done before committing, I can be quite confident in saying Obutto pits are the best bang for your buck, short of building one yourself. I can potentially put a few lines down talking about them in the next day or so, if you like.

Yeah, just throw it my way.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

GhostDog posted:

As in "games that properly support Occulus"? Sounds good. A short list under the hardware section might be good.

I hope Occulus comes out this year. As someone who doesn't have the space for a tripple-screen I'm really looking forward to it.

Well, there's stuff like this (how I would put it)

iRacing: Native Rift support, extremely easy to use. The game asks if you want to use your Rift when you join a race, just click 'Yes' and away you go - all menus in game are VR friendly. Probably the best implementation of VR support out there.
Performance is great in game, no problems. Some HUD elements are tricky to read at the edges of the screen, but not unreadable.

Assetto Corsa: Native Rift support. Rift is selected in the in game graphics options as a monitor. VR only works in game, menus right now are not VR friendly and are impossible to use with VR headset on. It's recommended to keep the Rift turned off right until you click 'Start' to race.
Performance in game is good. Overall experience is excellent once driving. You have to hit alt + F4 to quit races for some odd reason. Using in game post processing effects can break the game with VR. It's a work in progress however, so benefit of the doubt given to these annoyances for now.

Live For Speed: Native VR support with official patch:
https://www.lfs.net/patch-6f

Select Rift from in game menus, all menus are VR friendly. In game experience is excellent and gives new life to an old game. Highly recommended for people without beastly PCs as the target 75 FPS is achievable on modest hardware.

Stuff like that.

I can write more if needed :)

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 27, 2015

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
That's pretty much perfect. I try to keep things as short as possible, just to give an idea of what's there, anybody who wants to dig deeper into a topic is not going to look at a thread OP.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

GhostDog posted:

That's pretty much perfect. I try to keep things as short as possible, just to give an idea of what's there, anybody who wants to dig deeper into a topic is not going to look at a thread OP.

I'll look at your list and see which I have played, I don't get project cars for a month or so though :(

In other hardware the Buttkicker is something fun that I recently got, it's pretty cool for racing sims.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Other than the actual racing wheel, the buttkicker was the most immersive upgrade I've made to my setup since I started trying to get deep into SIM racing.

Did you get yours for racing, or was it primarily for something else?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
My racing seat is on the second floor, and I'm afraid a Buttkicker could be heard through the floor or walls. Does yours do that at all?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Norns posted:

Other than the actual racing wheel, the buttkicker was the most immersive upgrade I've made to my setup since I started trying to get deep into SIM racing.

Did you get yours for racing, or was it primarily for something else?

I got it primarily because my hearing sucks, after multiple operations I am left not really hearing much bass if any these days and so it's been a huge improvement to me (anyone with hearing aids will tell you they are pretty tinny sounding).

I'm hearing stuff that I haven't heard in years, no lie and without getting too soppy about it it's really improved my quality of life when just listening to music etc.

Gaming wise I got it mainly for sims yeah and Elite Dangerous - anything I use VR for especially.

As a side bonus I can practice bass guitar and stuff using it and not bother anyone, it rocks for that kind of stuff.

CaseFace McGee posted:

My racing seat is on the second floor, and I'm afraid a Buttkicker could be heard through the floor or walls. Does yours do that at all?

Mine is on the ground floor so it's not an issue but I honestly think it would be OK, the idea is it vibrates your chair slightly and your body reverberates the sound - 'Buttkicker' is a bit misleading as a name I think

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

CaseFace McGee posted:

I'm on the ground floor of my house, but it doesnt seem to make any noise I can hear in my crawl space .

I think you would be fine.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got Assetto Corsa working finally. :homebrew:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I said come in! posted:

I got Assetto Corsa working finally. :homebrew:

What was wrong with it?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

What was wrong with it?

Couldn't get my Driving Force GT wheel to work with it. So AC did technically work itself, but without a wheel it's horribly unfun.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I said come in! posted:

Couldn't get my Driving Force GT wheel to work with it. So AC did technically work itself, but without a wheel it's horribly unfun.

Ahhh right, yeah that sucks.
Still, AC overall is a pretty nice experience now I think, glad you got it all sorted :)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Here's some rift info for the games I have played:

iRacing: This sim has full rift support. Turn on the rift, click the join button and wait for an alert box asking if you want to use the rift. You can use either direct mode or extended mode. Try both to see with which you get better performance. Sometimes you can get an annoying scan line in direct mode. If this happens, turn the rift off and then back on. Repeat until the scan line disappears. The rift does not need to be primary for extended mode. When using extended mode, you can also use SweetFX. Download that file, extract it and then copy the SweetFX folder, the two DLLs and the two text files into your iracing install folder (Default C:\Program Files (X86)), not into your documents folder. Make sure iRacing is set to be in 64bit mode. It applies a sharpening affect that increases the perceived resolution. You can open the settings file and scroll down to LumaSharpen to change the sharpen settings. It goes from .1 to 3. I set mine around 1.5 as 3 was way too sharp. Scroll Lock toggles it on and off.

Assetto Corsa: This sim has basic rift support. It has to be run in extended mode and the rift has to be set to the primary monitor. None of the menus have rift support so you either need to remove the lenses and look at the screen. AC does render the game in a separate window, so you can move the main window to a different monitor and it will still render the actual sim on the rift. In the graphics settings, the filter must be set to "None" or the sim will crash when trying to load.

Project Cars: This sim has basic rift support. It has to be run in extended mode but the rift does not need to be set to the primary monitor. None of the menus have rift support so you either need to close one eye and try to see where you need to click or remove the lenses to look at the screen.

Keep a can of compressed air around if you take the lenses off. Even if just for a second, something got in there and stuck to the screen and now you have a spec of dust or a hair being magnified through the lenses.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Cojawfee posted:

Here's some rift info for the games I have played:

iRacing: This sim has full rift support. Turn on the rift, click the join button and wait for an alert box asking if you want to use the rift. You can use either direct mode or extended mode. Try both to see with which you get better performance. Sometimes you can get an annoying scan line in direct mode. If this happens, turn the rift off and then back on. Repeat until the scan line disappears. The rift does not need to be primary for extended mode. When using extended mode, you can also use SweetFX. Download that file, extract it and then copy the SweetFX folder, the two DLLs and the two text files into your iracing install folder (Default C:\Program Files (X86)), not into your documents folder. Make sure iRacing is set to be in 64bit mode. It applies a sharpening affect that increases the perceived resolution. You can open the settings file and scroll down to LumaSharpen to change the sharpen settings. It goes from .1 to 3. I set mine around 1.5 as 3 was way too sharp. Scroll Lock toggles it on and off.

Assetto Corsa: This sim has basic rift support. It has to be run in extended mode and the rift has to be set to the primary monitor. None of the menus have rift support so you either need to remove the lenses and look at the screen. AC does render the game in a separate window, so you can move the main window to a different monitor and it will still render the actual sim on the rift. In the graphics settings, the filter must be set to "None" or the sim will crash when trying to load.

Project Cars: This sim has basic rift support. It has to be run in extended mode but the rift does not need to be set to the primary monitor. None of the menus have rift support so you either need to close one eye and try to see where you need to click or remove the lenses to look at the screen.

Keep a can of compressed air around if you take the lenses off. Even if just for a second, something got in there and stuck to the screen and now you have a spec of dust or a hair being magnified through the lenses.

Richard Burns Rally: This sim, believe it or not, has great Rift support thanks to a Finn. The Rift solves the original RBR's terrible cameras. To get it working you have install the Official Patches 1.01 and 1.02 then head over to http://www.kegetys.fi/richard-burns-rally-oculus-rift-mod-update-v1-2/ download the mod.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTBPVrC0tPw

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

osker posted:

Richard Burns Rally: This sim, believe it or not, has great Rift support thanks to a Finn. The Rift solves the original RBR's terrible cameras. To get it working you have install the Official Patches 1.01 and 1.02 then head over to http://www.kegetys.fi/richard-burns-rally-oculus-rift-mod-update-v1-2/ download the mod.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTBPVrC0tPw

Oh good loving god yesssssss

Is this site legit?

https://uk.gamesplanet.com/game/richard-burns-rally--2693-1

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 28, 2015

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
For iRacing, weather and dynamic grip buildup? lol I don't think so. Even 'weather' is a bit generous. It's mainly just skybox changes and generic temperature and wind stuff.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

L_Harrison posted:

For iRacing, weather and dynamic grip buildup? lol I don't think so. Even 'weather' is a bit generous. It's mainly just skybox changes and generic temperature and wind stuff.

Not yet, but they are in progress per the staff on the forums. RFactor 2, on the other hand, has a kickass implementation of RealRoad and decent dynamic weather.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

GhostDog posted:

Care to write a four sentence paragraph about it? :)

Here's what I got, thought if Ziploc (or anyone else) has something to add that'll be welcome too.

Live For Speed

https://www.lfs.net/
Developer: Scawen Roberts, Eric Bailey, Victor van Vlaardingen

First released as a demo in 2002 Live for Speed is developed by a three man team independent of a publisher, keeping it both cheap and focused, but sometimes slow to update. The game focuses on online gameplay making it very easy to just pick up and race, though lacks some of the bells and whistles featured in newer titles. The game features a mix of fictional and licensed content, fully supports the Oculus Rift, and has a time-unlimited demo. Because it is still under development the game is not open to adding in community made cars and tracks, though applications can be made to connect to LFS for data manipulation and server administration.

Available on the official site

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Notable content mods released for Assetto Corsa as of February 2015:

Cars:

Tracks: (Tarmac circuit unless otherwise noted)

There's tonnes more out there if you know what you're looking for.

--------------------------------------------------

It might be an idea to let me have second post or something so I can update it whenever, but it's up to you. When it comes to GPL, it's probably worth mentioning the GPLPS overhaul mod too. Otherwise the OP is looking great, love how you approach the "physics question". I will say though, for making a less wordy OP, it's still pretty big. Maybe some of the games could be trimmed out? I'm not one to say which games are more important or what, though.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 28, 2015

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Jehde posted:

Notable content mods released for Assetto Corsa as of February 2015:

Cars:

Tracks: (Tarmac circuit unless otherwise noted)

There's tonnes more out there if you know what you're looking for.

Welp, I guess I know what I'm doing in the morning.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Set for a while for Assetto Corsa.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Yes it is. I bought my copy there, no shady business.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

L_Harrison posted:

It hasn't? Weird, I didn't even doubt that for a second. Sloppy research on my part. Corrected :)

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

pik_d posted:

Here's what I got, thought if Ziploc (or anyone else) has something to add that'll be welcome too.

Live For Speed

https://www.lfs.net/
Developer: Scawen Roberts, Eric Bailey, Victor van Vlaardingen

First released as a demo in 2002 Live for Speed is developed by a three man team independent of a publisher, keeping it both cheap and focused, but sometimes slow to update. The game focuses on online gameplay making it very easy to just pick up and race, though lacks some of the bells and whistles featured in newer titles. The game features a mix of fictional and licensed content, fully supports the Oculus Rift, and has a time-unlimited demo. Because it is still under development the game is not open to adding in community made cars and tracks, though applications can be made to connect to LFS for data manipulation and server administration.

Available on the official site

Perfect. Well... I'm going to to change the banner to left-justified because MY LAYOUT.

Edit: I thought I had to reiterate how much I appreciate you putting the time in to copy my layout despite getting the banner alignment so terribly wrong ;)

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 28, 2015

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Jehde posted:

It might be an idea to let me have second post or something so I can update it whenever, but it's up to you. When it comes to GPL, it's probably worth mentioning the GPLPS overhaul mod too. Otherwise the OP is looking great, love how you approach the "physics question".

I was wondering how to approach the mod section. I'd be happy to leave you second post if you want to curate an AC mod list, so maybe I'll put very very important mods for older games like GPLPS and RSRBR in the OP and leave the more comprehensive listing for active games - AC and rF2 I guess - to second and third post? Actually it might be third and fourth post, I'll probably split the OP into two posts.

How do I make sure you get second/third post though? Just timing?

Jehde posted:

I will say though, for making a less wordy OP, it's still pretty big. Maybe some of the games could be trimmed out? I'm not one to say which games are more important or what, though.

My goal was more "less words per sim but more sims overall". I think the only games I'd be okay to take out are netKar and Grand Prix 2, but then again the whole thing takes like 10 minutes to read through so I think it's okay.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 28, 2015

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
And some more words on AC track mods: I tried a lot of them and found I really dislike most of the rFactor1 conversions because every corner that isn't flat you'll start bumping over the low poly track mesh. Like, I downloaded nearly everything from racedepartment, and only about a dozen tracks are still installed.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

So my best options for oval are an old NASCAR game and iRacing? iRacing is great but I want to try EVERYTHING.

This sim racing poo poo is a really fun rabbit hole to go down, but holy poo poo it's eating all my hobbie funds!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

GhostDog posted:

Perfect. Well... I'm going to to change the banner to left-justified because MY LAYOUT.

Edit: I thought I had to reiterate how much I appreciate you putting the time in to copy my layout despite getting the banner alignment so terribly wrong ;)

It's obvious now that I look at your post again, whoops. Also please put LFS in the Current Sims on the basis that it's still under development.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

If any of you should choose to hardmount your wheel, make sure the pedal cable is plugged in to the pedals before you tighten everything down :v:

Silly Fanatec, putting the connections in a place that's protected but inaccessible when the pedals are mounted to plywood...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

osker posted:

Yes it is. I bought my copy there, no shady business.

Awesome thanks :)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

GhostDog posted:

How do I make sure you get second/third post though? Just timing?

I'll PM you my email, just email me like 5-10 minutes before you plan on posting the OP as a bit of warning, then email me again immediately after you've posted it and claimed your second post. The email should notify me the most reliably and I can quickly claim the third post. Then I guess advertise the new thread in here once it's all secure. I don't know anything about rF2 mods though, I just keep up to date with AC projects. If anyone else does want to currate some notable rF2 mods though, I'd be happy to include them in the mod post. I assume the rF2 section of mods would need less updating.

There's already a new mod to update the AC list with. :mrgw: Monte Carlo Sprint

Oh and latest news about the 288 GTO: The guy managed to find two physics gurus that are willing to take care of the physics for him, it sounds like they found some more data too. Meanwhile the guy doing the model just learned how to do AO baking, so the next release should be a lot less "flat" looking. Sounds like the mod is picking back up at a good rate though, I'm guessing the next release could be as soon as a month from now.

GhostDog posted:

My goal was more "less words per sim but more sims overall". I think the only games I'd be okay to take out are netKar and Grand Prix 2, but then again the whole thing takes like 10 minutes to read through so I think it's okay.

Oh okay that's cool then. Yeah you do a good job of summarizing each game, so I think it's great as it is then. After all, people can just scroll over the games they don't care about, and you make it easy to do so.

GhostDog posted:

And some more words on AC track mods: I tried a lot of them and found I really dislike most of the rFactor1 conversions because every corner that isn't flat you'll start bumping over the low poly track mesh. Like, I downloaded nearly everything from racedepartment, and only about a dozen tracks are still installed.

Yeah porting old games' mods is still a staple of AC mods. The Ford mods are actually all originally GTA:SA mods if I'm not mistaken. Often what will happen is someone will do a straight port from an older game then release it as is. Often they'll just forget about it after that, but if the mod is popular enough, they usually do second and third passes over the mod to smooth out problem areas and add more graphical detail. I remember Joux-Plane being pretty bad with bumpiness when it first released, it's still pretty bumpy in some corners but it's better now.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 28, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CaseFace McGee posted:

I have a buttkicker in my couch directly above my office. I just turned up some music as loud as I could go without the amplifier's "Peak" light coming on (driving the buttkicker with a 100w car stereo amp) and couldn't hear a difference from downstairs whether it was on or off.

Agreed that they're great in a sim cockpit. After installing the first one in our old setup one of my housemates and I sort of got addicted to the things, now there's one in each couch and the new cockpit PC is getting a dedicated sound card to drive a set of smaller transducers with SimVibe.

edit: I also have no notable insulation in the floor/ceiling between. It's Couch>Carpet>Pad>Plywood>Air>Drywall>Air>Me.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 28, 2015

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I was about to correct GhostDog on the SimBin games being delisted from Steam but they are. Apparently Sector3 is working to get them back on.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Cockpits :

Short of constructing your own, the generally accepted price-to-performance choices are from Obutto.

Pictured above is the Ozone, which starts at $364.99 , but include the practically necessary $99.99 Fully Articulating Keyboard Tray , and $119.99 Triple Display Mount , You're looking at around $585.

A similar concept but improvement on stability, aesthetics, and build quality can be found in their R3volution for $799 which includes the articulating keyboard tray, but the $129 Triple Display Mount is still an optional accessory.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
There are some things I don't like about the Obutto.

- The monitors are on the same frame as the rig. So if there are any vibrations or movement or swinging, your monitors will shake.
- The monitors are not really close to the wheel, which can have an effect on MY IMMERSION.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I really want to get into some kart racing. Is Kart racing pro my best bet? http://www.kartracing-pro.com/

If so, how active is it?

• Locked thread