Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I was a big fan of rFactor and have been running the heck out of the rFactor 2 Beta. It's very beta, at the moment. The tire model isnt finished, many other effects are missing too, and the content is limited, but so far its a step in the right direction. The immersion is greatly improved too, animated flag marshalls, track rain-wet-drying line is believable. Sun, glare and night time lighting all vastly improved.

Once some features are fully finished and more tracks and cars roll out, it should really start to take off, but im loving it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

An Enormous Boner posted:

New build of the rFactor 2 beta out. I haven't played it yet, but people are reporting performance boosts and better graphics. The Meganes, Formula Renaults, and Nissans all received updates, and a new high-powered formula series (similar to F1) was added.

It's a MAJOR step forward. They have done some experimenting with shaders and such and it really has a great look to it. The physics have been further improved and the cars provided so far are much more predictable. To be honest what was out prior to this could almost be called alpha because the difference is amazing. It's still beta, it runs like a dog, some textures and sounds are still pretty bad, HDR and shadows are way off, but im loving it now.

The new Formula Masters (F1) cars are very good too, worth a try for someone who's only interested in F1 sim stuff.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

By the way, if anyone has some good sets for the Renault, I would love to have a look. I'm terrible with that kind of thing but from what everyone says it's more or less necessary to get the most out of the car.

If you mean the FR 3.5, in the new build i find adding a couple of clicks to the front wing helps with corner entry, but i mostly run the Mills long course. Kinda starting from scratch now.

Brownie, that's for access to multiplayer. As far as i know you can buy and activate RF2 and play single player forever. I'm not sure how future content and updates will be affected though, but as of right now you can just throw them in the packages folder manually and update that way.

There's also a Lifetime membership option.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Falken posted:

I'll give that a whirl. I really need to upgrade my computer for RF2 and Assetto Corsa though, as I built my PC in 2008. :v:

By the way, here's a thread for the simpit build I've been working on! Link

Latest update shows me getting a FREX Shift+ sequential shifter and have rewired it to work directly to my Fanatec wheel, which allows me to a) use it on Xbox 360 and b) Frees up one USB slot for rfactor/GTR Evolution.

That's awesome. Whats the Frex like? Right now I have the Fanatec Clubsport pedals and a G25 that I hope to replace with a Clubsport Wheel if Fanatec ever get off their rear end. They also plan a shifter but that could be years away, so i might end up looking at the Frex or similar too.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Falken posted:

The Frex shifter is fantastic. The resistance is so solid that I was missing shifts due to not giving a good amount of force. Very good shifter in general.

You've got me thinking now...

Did you order straight from their site? Looks like the Shift+ is about €160 with the USB board (this is kind of scaring me, i thought it would be a USB cable and off you go)

Is it loud to use? I like to race late at night.

I'm very tempted

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Appreciate your reply, thanks. I looked at some other shifters available from Derek Speare and TSW but the Frex still looks like the best one. Now to decide if i should eat into my CSW budget :v:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Falken posted:

I'm having trouble with rFactor 2. I cannot install Megane cup, Formula Masters or the GT class. It seems to be telling me that Malaysia and Oban park(?) is missing? Is there a trackpack I'm missing out on?

Also, I'm finding the controls VERY floaty in rF2 compared to the likes of RF, Race 07/GTR Evo and iRacing. I just do not feel connected to either the classic GP cars or the Renault world series open wheelers.

There is an issue where some mods seem to require content of other mods to install. For example, to install the Master mod you need to have the FR3.5 mod updated to V1.2. There might be an issue with the GT and Megane doing something similar.

All the files are here: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1396-Downloads

I had a huuuge issue with this and ended up having to uninstall ALL ISI mods and reinstall them again, but with the mod manager it all took about 4 minutes. If it wont let you install, try updating the other mods to latest version first. They kind of made a mess of this in the recent release but, eh, that's what beta's are for.

I'm not sure about the floaty issue, cant say i have any complaints. You can always play around with the .plr file and increase the FFB if you dont feel its strong enough. It does seem slightly weaker than the last build but after a few laps i found it more realistic.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
I just ordered a Frex Shift+. At least i think i have. They sent me a mail saying they will contact me for payment, so who knows what that means.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
I reckon i will still have it before i have a Clubsport Wheel :argh:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Falken posted:

Wow, the GT World Endurance series cars seem to have absolutely no grip at all.

To be honest i've seen nothing but praise for them, and I myself drive the GTR a LOT and find it just fantastic. I don't deviate much from the default setup other than increasing rear wing by a couple of clicks. Infact, if i was pushed, id say it has too much grip, rather than too little. I can power off corners quite early providing i do some steering correction and short-shift.

Are you warming the tyres up, and not overheating them? Overheating the tyres causes a huge loss of grip, but thats all i can think of really.

E: and keep in mind the 370Z is pretty much a street car and not a purebred racecar.

CactusWeasle fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 29, 2012

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Falken posted:

Hmm. What Degrees of rotation are you using on your wheel?

In RF2 its set to 576 degrees. I'm not sure if thats default, i dont remember changing it.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Falken posted:

Well, this certainly was a crash. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9qmXLSXavI

One in a million?

Post that on the ISI forums. You will be a hero.

I havent gone near the historic stuff for a while but Brianza (Monza) 1966 is due out very soon, and possibly the Brabham too. Might rekindle my interest in those.

I was so blown away by build 85 that aside from the Frex ive also ordered a new graphics card. Now i HOPE Fanatec don't release the Clubsport for a while :v:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
First screenies of Brianza '66 and the Brabham B20

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/5859-Announcing-Brianza?p=70922

e:

quote:

So, I did a couple of 4:22s around Spa in the F3s. People on the ISI forums are doing 4:16-18. It's nuts

I've done probably 50 laps in the F2 the last couple of days. Every time you think you have Spa figured out, bam, in the trees/fence/field/house. I have even done some great laps in the 60's F1 cars there but going back to car thats 30~ seconds a lap slower doesnt mean you've got it down. The cars and track just feel so alive. One lap and the next are never the same. I LOVE it.

CactusWeasle fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 31, 2012

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
I've found that moving the brake bias on the F2's forward to about 65% greatly improves stopping ability. Coming into la source at Spa on default i have to brake slowly and early to avoid spinning the car, but now i can brake much later and harder.

Got my lap time from 3:56 to 3:53 just with this alone :)

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
The Brianza track is performance hell. It's by far the worst optimised track so far, I get as low as 20 FPS with 5 AI on track. I dont know how, because the texture repetiton on the road does my head in.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Thanks for the tips on the Frex Shift+, Falken; mine arrived yesterday :)

It's taken me quite a bit of playing around in the rfactor 2 PLR file to get it to shift right, with stock settings it was jumping gears a lot, and ended up needing to set it to 'dont shift again until last shift has completed' mode. I havent had the same problem since.

It's a decent bit of kit but really not without its faults. I'm having occasional issues where it seems to suddenly no longer be recognised by RF2, or will suddenly shift up but not down, etc. I'm kind of 'meh' on it for now, but i think with the right kind of sports car mod it could really add immersion. I may have a look at adjusting some of it aswell because when downshifting i find if you just tap it, it hits the switch enough to activate the shift, so that might be an easy fix. It's really a very simplistic yet genius design.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
The rfactor 2 Renault Clio Cup "V.0.1" is pretty drat good. It wasnt supposed to be released but some ISI tester accidentally let it get out on a test server. First front wheel drive car and handles very well. You can really throw the back end out and keep your foot planted and drive out of a slide. On occasions where the back end seems like its going too far, you can correct by steering where the rear end is going (I cant remember what this is called but it works In Real Life(tm) )

It might be the best car yet :)

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Falken posted:

Opposite lock?

I suppose that's the closest, but I thought there was another phrase for when a FWD car did that.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Falken posted:

Renault Clio Cup 1.0 for Rfactor 2 released

Shame I can't drive it. Fanatec have had my CSR Elite since the 23rd of June. :negative:

I was considering the Clubsport Wheel, but holy hell they have made a monumental fuckup of everything. I'm sticking to my G25 for a few months and see whats happening then, but I want nothing to do with this company right now.

Good luck ever seeing your wheel again :v:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Brownie posted:

What happened?

Every time they tried to launch the new website to put it on sale, the site crashed. Now they dont know for sure how many people have ordered due to the system problems, or how many duplicate orders exist, etc etc. They are now saying some people wont get their orders until September.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

There is a sound bug when there's a large pack, though, which makes for some annoying audio distortion. I think ISI is working on it.

The very same bug was present when this leaked WEEKS ago. I have no idea what ISI are actually doing with their time but very little of it seems to involve working on RF2.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Well, yeah, apart from the patches which continually improve the graphics and physics and add new or updated content. I guess a sound bug in a single mod means they aren't doing anything, though -- you should be a scientist!

I know they have a smaller team than say SMS, but the first RF2 beta hit in January, and if you actually look at the updates and changes in builds and content, progress has been slow.

I am a huge RF2 and ISI fan, but I am the first to step up and say im disappointed in the pace of things in the beta. The Clio sound bug was one of the most obvious bugs in the V0.1 leak, and between then and V1.0 now, they havent bothered to address it. I just dont see the point of releasing a dozen half finished mods to a half finished beta engine. We're going to end up soon with a release version full of official, unfinished mods. I just think its messy, and ill-planned.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
One modder for RF2 has released an amazing version of Croft, and its by far the best track yet. Even better than VLM's Mid Ohio, for me. It's an amazing drive and looks spectacular to boot. Really shows off what RF2 can do, even at this early stage.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

tehsid posted:

Apparently its touting "Realistic Physics"

"Turn wheel left, car goes left. JUST LIKE REAL LIFE!

Falken posted:

For some reason the Formula Masters don't actually have wet tires? I tried a wet drive in Malaysia with the wet tires selected. They appeared to be slicks with a very faint tread pattern texture.

Far as i know the tires are wet but not the textures yet. Overall the wet isnt finished, and in fact, in one of the recent builds, you could set faster laps on a wet track/wet tires than on a dry track with slicks. Dont know if they fixed that yet, but its all a bit of a mess at the moment (since January).

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
The (Turbo) FIA Formula 2 cars are supposed to be released later this week. That's WHY the turbo code was implemented into build 107.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
I have enough trouble racing sims with a G25; a gamepad is going to infuriate you. RFactor 1/2 really need a wheel to have proper control with precise steering/brake/throttle etc, and for RF2 you need a belt driven wheel, as a gear driven wheel has a death rattle with RF2's new force feedback system.

Check out project CARS (pCARS) which might be easier with a gamepad, but I would still suggest a wheel if its something you plan to do at any length.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Going from G25 pedals to Clubsport V1 pedals was probably the most dramatic change for me. It just FELT more immersive, and the ability to set the pressure you apply means you can really tune it what you feel it should be.

For GT cars, the Frex Shift+ is just wonderful. When it arrived, I clamped it to my desk and played with it thinking 'ive bought a 200E switch', but after a couple of weeks using it I couldnt live without it now. There are other models available for sequential shifters to suit any preference.

I then went from the G25 wheel to a ClubSport wheel with just the Formula rim for now. I only play rFactor 2 and this is quite hit and miss at the moment, but its a very impressive piece of hardware. I still poo poo myself plugging it in every time because I know how Fanatec are for reliability and customer service, but so far I havent had any problems with any of my Fanatec products.

Software is very much personal preference. I tried iRacing for a month or so, but I found it full of people who take it way too seriously, and the safety rating is complete bullshit. However, the choices are almost endless - rF1 & 2, AC, GTR3, pCARS - by mid/end 2013 its going to be bloody fantastic :)

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Falken posted:

I'm glad you're happy with your Frex Shift+ You seemed a little disappointed with it when you first recieved it.

I have short-term buyers remorse with everything I buy. It passes quickly. The Frex is really awesome, infact I've ordered a BMW rim for the CSW now because it was too hard to use the Formula rim and the Frex with any GT car.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I imagine it's almost worth it, but that's reaching the hardcore sim racing niche. If I were still playing iRacing, and at a very competitive level at that, I would do it.

It's not even anything to do with competitive level. It's just a lot more fun to be slamming down through the gears on a sequential shifter on heavy braking :) I used to use the G25 shifter in sequential mode and that wasnt even remotely fun to use. It was a flimsy piece of crap, but something like a Frex, its just a satisfying physical thing to use.

I would imagine the competitive sim racers are using whatever is the easiest/least effort shifting mechanism. No point making extra work for yourself when you could map paddle shifters to everything.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

rFactor 2 got "released". Way, way, too early. It's still decidedly a beta.

The ISI PR guy deleted everything mentioning BETA from their site. BUT, they still havent actually released anything since before xmas, so we are still on a public BETA build. There is no way in hell the known bugs and current unfinished features will be fixed for the next build. Not sure what they are playing at really.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Billy the Mountain posted:

Possibly a desperate realization that after years of promises and beta builds they have no way of finishing what they set out to do, the money has run out, and they are scrambling to make everyone think things are just peachy?

I gather rFactor 2 is pretty much a pet project for ISI. They have big money projects elsewhere in the automotive industry. The PR guy has stated many times they have no interest in what other sim games are doing, but this latest move suggests otherwise. There is not one mod that is finished, either. You cant even drive the FIA F2 cars in the rain, and they are the most finished of the current mod packages. I cant even start a list of current problems with it because you dont know what to list first, but if you go to their site now and buy it unaware, you would be in for one hell of a shock.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Are there release dates yet for Assetto Corsa or GTR3 ? I'm getting fed up with rFactor 2 and the tires on every car turning to molten lava.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
GTR3.com is still up, but the eventual link you get to goes nowhere. Last I heard about AC was Q1 '13 which is almost over. AC looks the most promising (and most likely to ever see the light of day)

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
A demo version of rFactor 2 has been released with the Corvette C6R GT2 and Lime Rock Park, available here: http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2dl/

Worth a look for anyone curious about RF2.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

It won't really bother me if the driving is fun, but I'm terrible at driving absurdly fast video game cars like the racing Corvette included in the demo so I can't tell if it would be worth buying just from that one track/car combo.

The Corvette may be the worst car to be honest, and its very difficult to drive. The best cars are the Clio (seriously fun), Megane, FR3.5 and one or two others. It *MIGHT* be possible to download and install these in the demo, they weren't clear on that.

You need to have everything maxed out, HDR on, right time of day etc for the game to look nice and pretty. It can look dull or great with minimal changes.

Be aware though RF2 is murder on a system. Dont expect high frame rates on anything but a very high end gaming rig.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Considering that SMS is pretty much a home office joint spread all over the world with somewhat of a churn rate apparently, it's surprising that ISI can't muster up some decent graphics guys.

They just don't seem to care about optimization; the PR reply to any such comment is 'just turn everything down/off to get good framerates'. The version of Silverstone they just released is almost hilariously unoptimized. It uses so much RAM & VRAM its bizzare. Its the same for force feedback; default (unfiltered) will kill any wheel, and you have to filter the hell out of it for anything that wont shake your wheel/house apart.

That said, it's such a dynamic sim its amazing. Real road, weather, drying lines, tyre wear, flatspots, wind, temperature..... once they actually make everything work together it will be the most comprehensive sim imaginable.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Not sure what "real road" is supposed to mean.

"Real Road" is what ISI call their system for rubbering in the track with racing groove, grip, marbles etc.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

CaseFace McGee posted:

ISI just released the Howston G4 and G6, which are based on the Lola T70. They're a helluva lot of fun to drive around - the back end is very playful. My first few laps in, I flirted with the wall just a bit. Bonus points if someone can figure out what I was listening to when I recorded the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rzUCKWNTyQ

G6 on Longford '67 is fantastic. Trying to stop for the slow turns (re: all of them) is really tricky. You can actually power out of corners in these cars, especially the 1969 version with the extra wide tires.

Quite happy with where RF2 is heading; build 300 gave me some great performance boosts, BTCC Honda on the way, IMS/DW12/Reynard etc etc. There are still things that need addressing from the very first beta build, but it's moving along.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

CaseFace McGee posted:

I thought RFactor2 was supposed to have some offroad racing originally... maybe something will come out of that eventually. Going by their current development rate, I expect a demo in another decade or so.

There is an rFactor 2 demo.

Don't expect any off road or point-to-point within the next year though. Infact, it's possible neither will materialize at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Curious to hear opinions on AC, seeing as many people thought it was going to be The Second Coming: Sim Racing.

Might head over to virtualr and :munch:

• Locked thread