Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
The NetKar team have announced a new game pretty recently:
http://www.assettocorsa.net/?lang=en

Looks like it'll be another Racing sim, with more licensed content, and much higher moddability than NetKar, which means a bigger community. Which means yay!

Not a lot has been shown in the way of gameplay though, but still, it doesn't seem like a bad time to be a racing sim fan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
This is something I wrote up back when I was thinking of actually making a Sim Racing thread myself. It's about RBR! Woooo

Richard Burns Rally

Released in 2004 for PC, PS2 and xbox by developer Warthog Games and publisher SCi. A rally simulator featuring incredibly realistic physics and tight, technical tracks, it has since become incredibly popular with the sim community seeing tons and tons of cars and mods released each year. It's easily my favourite sim game ever, and introduced me to racing sims.

What's so good about it?
It features one of the most advanced physics systems to date, specifically when it comes to simulating the amount of power that ends up reaching the wheels. The suspension modelling is also incredible, and the tyre model is more than adequate.
Here's a short blurb about the physics system:

quote:

RBR simulates an actual internal combustion engine, down to each compression stroke. Power is computed on the fly as a real engines is.

quote:

RBR does proper turbo modelling, based on actual compressor maps. It calculates the exhaust gas rate in MFR (mass flow rate), based on load and RPM, then uses that information to calculate the manifold pressure (including boost pressure drop across the intercooler). From manifold pressure, you then get a direct reading for horsepower at the engine when combined with current RPM and engine load. THEN, it calculates drive line losses through the 4wd system, and you get individual power readings at all 4 tyres, WHICH varies in real time based on how the front, middle and rear differentials distribute the power as directed by your setup. Result? Load affects power. Boost is different in different gears. Thats why RBR can model things like a blown turbo, or a hole in your intercooler going over a jump. You can selectively fail anything in the engine and RBR will adjust accordingly, because its calculating everything on the fly, and like a real engine, everyting is connected.

Additionally, the tutorial mode called "Rally School" is top notch, teaching you specific skills like left-foot braking, power sliding, Scandinavian flicks, etc. by showing you how the maneuver is pulled off, letting you do it, and then evaluating it step by step with a replay. It's great, it's very polished, and far and beyond what most sims have.

Unlike recent Rally racing games, RBR actually features tight, twisting and extremely dangerous tracks that really punish you for mistakes but give you an incredible sense of accomplishment upon completing them unscathed.

In short, the game is amazing and everyone should play it. The only way of purchasing it as far as I know, unfortunately, is through random sellers on Amazon. :(

The amount of mods available for the game is also pretty impressive, with a key one being RSRBR (which has updated every year since like 2006 or something). I've never been able to install this properly so I can't comment :(

Also the CamHack is pretty essential, you can grab it here. It's pretty essential if you're using a widescreen moniter as it will allow you to adjust the FOV + Aspect Ratio so that everything's not stretched.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Capn Payne posted:

RBR is one of the most technically interesting sims, and is also one of the most balls-out fun. Driving the Mineshaft is really great, especially that huge jump. Do you have any user-made track recommendations? I saw some guy on YouTube driving one that took like 45 minutes to finish and it seemed undetailed but interesting in theory.

I used some ini tweaks to fix the FOV and aspect ratio, though. I think that cam hack thing is for people who need multiple viewing angles for some reason...?

edit: holy poo poo this RSRBR thing looks awesome and I am going to install it today

Unfortunately, when I was first REALLY into RBR it was before people had figured out how to make tracks for the game, and since then I've never really looked for additional content except in RSRBR, but that never works... :(

I don't know of anything ini tweaks that will fix FOV or aspect ratio, to be honest. Even RSRBR tells its users to just get the camhack for FOV stuff. I think.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Capn Payne posted:

This has got to be the most convoluted install process I've ever seen for any video game mod.

Yeah, precisely. It's never worked on my PC either... despite trying it several times.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

GhostDog posted:

Wait, what are you people doing? I just installed RSRBR for the first time three weeks ago and it went:

1) Download Core Pack, Run Installer.
2) Download Track Pack, Run Installer.
3) Download Car Pack, Run Installer.

I didn't have to do anything else.

And it's totally worth it for the function to start any track with any surface you want alone. Hate the tarmac in France? Just drive on gravel!

Edit:
I don't have to use CamHack either, this works just fine:

Turns out the game only works on Vusta if you install it on a hard drive other than the one Windows is installed on ... No idea why. I only just got a second hard drive so I should get around to installing all this stuff again.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I really hope Assetto Corsa is more successful. The biggest issues with Netkar was their netcode (which is now fixed, and shouldn't be an issue for AC) and the lack of any real online community besides pre-planned races.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

An Enormous Boner posted:

Also, LFS has http://lfsworld.net which is an integrated server browser, stat tracker, hotlap ranking thing, etc.

...while NetKar has nothing :geno:

Exactly, Assetto Corsa needs a bigger focus on fostering a community!

EDIT: WOW that is a lot of people still playing the LFS demo...

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

An Enormous Boner posted:

No poo poo. There's always a 30-person server that's full playing the demo, and others usually have some players as well.

I seriously don't get it because the game is very cheap and very old. Why not drop the $20 or whatever?

It's 24 pounds for the full version of the game, which is ~40 dollars CAD, so it's not really that cheap, certainly not as cheap as Netkar Pro for example which is like 15 Euro's (~20 CAD).

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Downloaded the LFS demo yesterday and I've been having a blast, but I refuse to buy it because S3 will likely never come out and I should just save my money for Assetto Corsa or something.

But goddamn it's fun to have great physics + great FFB + people to play with.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
iRacing is... not for me. I'm not interested in spending that much money, especially if I'll be forced to play in racing series I have literally no interest in before being allowed to use the cars I want.

EDIT: not to mention the money for the tracks

Brownie fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 13, 2012

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
To me it's not worth it I guess, I know I won't have enough time to play it for it to pay off in comparison to other games. The game clearly isn't targeted at me, with it's US centric car and track selection and it's emphasis on licensed content. It seems to me the development team isn't really the smartest either...

Laser scanning tracks to within a mm is cool and all, but games do this without charging $8 or $12 or w/e per track, and in the end that accuracy means very little once you transfer it to a polygonal mesh which will have a much lower resolution. They can scan every little bump all they want but current hardware can't actually support a polygonal mesh anywhere near that resolution.

Same thing with the cars, they can "weigh every part" as much as they want but in the end they're just pulling numbers from graphs to simulate engine performance.

Anyway, Assetto Corsa has a new car, the Lotus 49:
http://www.assettocorsa.net/?p=2080

EDIT: resolution, not frequency

Brownie fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 13, 2012

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Why does rFactor 2 have a yearly online cost? Will everything be hosted on their dedicated servers or something?

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Not a racing sim, but super promising for the future of damage modeling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KppTmsNFneg

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Falken posted:

I'm going to be slowly upgrading my PC for rFactor 2, C.A.R.S., Assetto Corsa etc.

Right now I'm running a C2D 8600, Nvidia GTX280 and 4GB of ram. I'm probably going to throw in a GTX560 this month, and then look into upgrading the rest of the system the next month.

Sound like a good idea?

If I was you I'd probably hold off until those games were closer to release, because hardware moves stupidly fast and for all you know a new generation of cards/CPU's could come out that are a better purchase.

Do you have any performance issues with rF2 or CARS now?

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
iRacing doesn't provide a short trial, that makes zero sense for a subscription game.

It seems to me like the iRacing team isn't very intelligent about the way they handle things like that. Really they seem to be bad at most things.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

CactusWeasle posted:

I was considering the Clubsport Wheel, but holy hell they have made a monumental fuckup of everything. I'm sticking to my G25 for a few months and see whats happening then, but I want nothing to do with this company right now.

Good luck ever seeing your wheel again :v:

What happened?

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Ugh my Fanatec standard pedals have finally given up the ghost after working on and off for the past few months. I contacted the store I bought them from and they're willing to give me a refund, but since the pedals are out of stock there's no way to get them replaced.

It's frustrating because the pedals that came on my lovely $60 Thrustmaster had better response and were stiffer (but did lack a clutch, which admittedly I never used) and the whole set cost AS MUCH as the standard pedals. That's retarded.

So now my only option is to not have pedals or to upgrade to the CSR pedals which cost like $130, bleh.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Well SimBin has finally released something!... and it's not GTR3. But it is a free demo of a Free2Play racing game coming out later on steam I guess:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/211500/

Anyone tried it? My fanatec stuff is still broken :(

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

I said come in! posted:

The force feedback is non-existent on my Logitech wheel. I give up on Codemaster's games. They clearly aren't even trying anymore to ship quality products, so gently caress them.

Thank you for finally, finally seeing things from my point of view, Dirt 3 OP. Codemasters is the most frustrating company making games right now.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

I said come in! posted:

I know we've butted heads before, and didn't see eye to eye on a lot of stuff, but I've actually started to warm up to your opinions about racing sims lately.

I know, it wasn't meant to be mean spirited or anything, just a little teasing that's all!

News about Project Cars should be coming soon, the Seta Tyre Model that their physics guy has been working on has been passed on to the rest of the team and is implemented well enough that one of the other developers has been posting a bit about it. The time scale for release in a public build is only "weeks, not months" away! Yaaaay

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

I said come in! posted:

WRC3 is a big improvement over last years. Unlike Codemasters with the F1 series, WRC is actually making improvements each year and getting better. It feels like the developers are serious with making this into a real good rally simulation that at that same time is accessible to everyone.

As much as I hate Codemasters, and I do, I really do, they've released 7 patches for F1 2012. While it sort of shows just how buggy their games are, that's a surprising level of supports that greatly exceeds their previous attempts.

That said I am really disappointed that WRC doesn't support my Fanatec :( I was really looking forward to this game.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

GutBomb posted:

Read my post a few posts up. It shows how to use the fanatec in logitech mode and it works wonderfully with everything including WRC 3.

I read it, but that's not exactly native support. The force feedback you get with the two different drivers isn't the same, and it's a pretty big hassle to have to do that.

I won't have a chance to try out the game for a little while so hopefully they patch in support maybe???

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
On the Clubsport Pedals:

The resistance in a clubsport pedal is still provided by a spring. The load cell just measures how much force is being applied, it doesn't provide any resistance itself.

In the first generation of Clubsports the resistance came from a spring combined with a small chamber filled with a foam tube (that was replaceable). In this new generation the foam has been exchanged with a oil dampening chamber that's meant to dampen the movement of the pedal, which is neat (and probably feels very realistic) but ultimately it's a dampener for how far the pedal moves, its not part of the load-cell construction or indicative of the actual input you're getting.

What the load cell does is replace a potentiometer that would otherwise be measuring the position of the pedal. The disadvantage then is that your input is completely dependent on the throw of the pedals, whereas with a load-cell you can adjust it such that even at a fully depressed position a further application of force can be detected by the pedal (despite no movement).

Load cells do not provide a necessarily more accurate or realistic experience, it's their implementation that matters. In fact, if use a long throw on your brake and a low force setting on the load cell it will make no difference if its a potentiometer or a load cell. In the case of the first generation of pedals it makes literally no difference, in the case of V2 there's a slight difference since the hydraulics will slow the rate at which you can change the position of the pedal but not the impulse.

I personally think that while the Clubsports are way too expensive for what they provide, it's definitely the most realistic experience possible IF you get the V2's and use a throw that's short enough you need to apply some additional force at the fully depressed position to reach 100% input.

My advice to you Leadcar50 is the following:
Set aside $1k for your PC (actually $800 is enough if you're patient for deals to pop up, use Part Picker and this thread)
For instance a build like this (which is just slightly better than my current computer) would be able to run any racing sim out right now on full settings:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rBOE
Note it'd probably end up costing like $1K once you add an HDD and SDD and other silly stuff.

Make sure you get a nice monitor. All the amazing peripherals and PC hardware won't mean anything if you're using a 19" or something with awful colours.

When it comes to wheels it's sort of up to you. Logitech provides cheaper, gear driven wheels that are very widely supported and the company has very good support. Fanatec provides expensive belt driven wheels (quieter, "smoother," but also somewhat higher inherent resistance?) but as an owner of one I think they're pretty over priced and often have QA issues. Their support is not as good, and they aren't doing a great job of providing older hardware with the same level of support as you get with Logitech. This is probably the thing you're going to have really investigate yourself if you can.

When it comes to games, you seem like you'd probably enjoy iRacing the most just because it's the easiest to get into in terms of effort. Lots of people playing, races happen often etc. Note however that it is expensive, very expensive in fact when compared to other racing games. You'll have to pay for tracks and cars individually (which can cost anywhere from $5-15 or something) and you won't be able to race any car you want right off the bat. I think iRacing is really awful but it is probably the best choice RIGHT NOW if you don't want to struggle with patches or betas.

If you're patient, Project Cars is shaping up very nicely and other games like Assetto Corsa and rFactor 2 will be coming out within the next year (or two...)

I have literally zero clues when it comes to cockpits, all i know is that my office chair is really really bad for racing.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Cojawfee posted:

I think the reliability thing is mostly just a squeaky wheel gets the grease situation. The only problem I ever had with my wheel was when it wouldn't save my settings and the solution was just to update the firmware.

I've had my wheel overheat and my pedals break within only a few months of using the GT2 and standard pedals. I've got the CSR pedals now and they are wonderful but there are quite a few QA issues with my GT2. The stitching on the leather is really poor and actually has sharp plastic sticking out of it in the thumb groove.

EDIT: And the latest firmware has been shown to decrease max FFB strength by 75% for no real reason.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, but pedal position isn't defining the brake input. Once the foam spring's been squashed (or whatever you replaced it with), the pedal's at a fix position, like a hydraulic stop (pads in contact with the discs) and only the pressure on the loadcell counts.

Yeah that's correct. There's still a spring there to provide resistance though on all generations of the Club sports. The load cell doesn't provide any resistance itself.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Assetto Corsa's tech demo looks like its finally done and release is imminent, as Stefano Casillo has been tweeting that the demo itself is finished and its just a matter of finishing setting up the infrastructure to let NetKar owners play it. Some people have been posting gameplay videos on youtube as well, and some websites have even released impressions etc.

Here's a youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N9EfbmUpA0

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
:siren:Assetto Corsa Tech Preview has been releeased!!:siren:

There's a few download links on the side but unfortunately most of them are out of commission, including the torrent (:() but I would still suggest trying them if that's what you prefer. I'm using the second Mega.co.nz mirror and its pretty fast so whatever.

I really wish it was any car other than this lotus, I hate this car in every video game I've played!

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

I said come in! posted:

I got the preview installed, ran it, and it won't let me actually play. It says its only for nKar Pro owners right now.

[edit]
To be fair, it said right there on the website, I just didn't see it.

Yeah, they've been saying that for a while. I even said it in my earlier post!

Anyway, let's post times. I'm terrible at all simulation racing just FYI. My best time is 1:29.856

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Cojawfee posted:

Until March 1st, you can buy netkar pro for 7 bucks, which I did to play this demo. It would be pretty fun. Even though it's sponsored by Fanatec, several of the functions of my CSR wheel don't work in the game. It doesn't even see the axis for my clutch pedal. You can't even set a button to be the clutch. It doesn't accept the hat switch as inputs. So right now all I can do is drive around, lift off throttle all the way, change gears and then go back on throttle. Anything else and it grinds the gears for a second. I'm a bit disappointed.

That's weird. I have a Fanatec GT2 + CSR pedals and everything works perfectly. My hatswitch, my clutch pedal, etc are all recognized. It's true however that you can't bind clutch to a button, but I'm totally okay with that considering the game comes with automatic clutch and even automatic throttle blipping as aids if you want them.

EDIT: Here's a list of known issues:
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/known-issues-check-before-posting.207/

One of them is not being able to assign clutch to a button, looks like it might happen later. Also says that D-pads aren't supported right now.

Brownie fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 22, 2013

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I personally would actually recommend against it. I've got a Porsche GT2 wheel and I've various problems with it. It's overheated, newer firmware has introduced bugs and other problems like reducing the maximum strength down to 75% of what it was previously, and I've actually started using the logitech drivers and PS3 mode more often. The build quality is also kind of shoddy, with the stitching around the fake leather being so poorly done I had to remove some of it because it was giving me blisters on my thumbs. At the same time it's pretty quiet (although almost everything has a really annoying whine to it - the fan, the belts inside) and is supported by basically every game ever. I don't know how many of these problems are present on the CSR wheel though.

I'd say if you play any racing games on an xbox, it's worth it. Otherwise I really don't think it's worth the high asking price, and I'd probably just get a logitech.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
The 911 wheels were always touted to be the best wheels available before elite wheels were announced. They were the only belt driven wheels for a long time and were widely considered to be very good but with poor build quality. The Fanatec CSR wheel is based off of the GT2 wheel with a new rim, electronics, paddle shifters and is officially licensed for Forza. It has the same internals in terms of belts and stuff in the base. The only differences are in the wheel rim. You also get fewer buttons and no ps3 button lights. There's less leather and more plastic on the rim, but honestly this might be a good thing based off my experience with the GT2. The firmware is also different because of the new electronics and the company seems more interested in supporting the CSR line than the older GT2 since the GT2 has basically gone out of production (all the bases are used to make CSR's now).

The elite and the club sport are both new designs that are definitely more powerful than their logitech counterparts. The CSR and GT2 seem to be about the same strength to me.

To be clear if you get a CSR you will enjoy yourself and it will probably fulfill its purpose plenty. It will also probably break (or already have problems as soon as you get it) within your warranty period which is a hassle but they'll fix it no problem as long as you order directly from them. I don't think that Fanatec is worth the extra asking price though, not over Logitech. In the end Logitech is cheaper and more reliable, has better software support regardless of wheel and is just as widely supported.

EDIT: This is just talking about their wheel's though. I heard their shifter is utter garbage, breaks often and is flimsy as gently caress, and I strongly recommend you don't spend your money on it. Their pedals are all good but the clubsport comes with a loadcell which is kind of a big deal (maybe) so you might want to look into that. It's all overpriced though.

Brownie fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 15, 2013

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

GutBomb posted:

If I could get a csr elite with a porsche gt2 wheel rim with paddles it would be absolutely perfect for me. Might be a possible mod.

Wish we could swap wheels so bad bro

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

CactusWeasle posted:

That said, it's such a dynamic sim its amazing. Real road, weather, drying lines, tyre wear, flatspots, wind, temperature..... once they actually make everything work together it will be the most comprehensive sim imaginable.

But the question is will they ever actually do this? At the rate they're going we are probably going to hit the heat death of the universe first.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Oh man I've been looking forward to updates on that game, had no idea it was close to alpha though! Going to pick it up soon I think, except I don't know if I can take the emotional strain of playing more than one racing game in alpha at the same time, waiting for updates for both before they become proper fun.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

Anyone know if this is still true, or is it too late now it's launched on Steam? For 3.99 I'm probably going to get Netkar anyway.

Owning Netkar doesn't get you access to the Early Access that's on steam right now, only the technology preview that's hosted on their site.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I just played Assetto Corsa's beta for the first time and oh my goodness do some of the cars feel incredible to drive. The Ferrari and BMW GT3 in particular are really really fun and feel fantastic. The formula abarth is also really awesome, but the turbo charger can catch me off guard a lot, accelerating out of some of the slower corners requires more attention than usual. You can also push cars over the limit quite a bit without spinning out, which is great and reminds me of LFS (like others have said).

Really really impressed with it, far more than I am with iRacing or Project CARS.

ps death 2 iracing

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I couldn't get into iRacing at all. Knowing how much money I'd have to shell out just to play in the non-rookie championships for the various tracks and cars really killed any enthusiasm I had for continued play in that game. And knowing that I'd be paying 15 dollars a month just to play and increase my rating to the point where I could then give them more money for those things made me feel like there wasn't really much point in continuing past the first cheap 3 months. On top of that, at the time the physics model for the Williams Formula 1 car were awful, and the guys driving in that league at the top were very openly negative about it. No idea what it's like now since you can't read their forums or watch races without a subscription (the latter is really stupid of them) or even check my old profile. And all the endless promotion and branding in a subscription based game...

I ended up only playing the game for about 3 weeks. I won two races in the rookie leagues using the Mazda MX-5 in the first week of the season and was actually the only rookie to do it for one of the leagues that week (I found out months later). The second week of the season had the rookie championship on a track I didn't really care for, and I had less time to practise, so I just walked away.

What I'm saying is iRacing is cool for the number of people it has playing, it's cool for having a driveable MX-5, but everything else just killed my enjoyment.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

AgentCow007 posted:

The funny thing is Forza 5's microtransactions make iRacing look cheap.

In the end you can always just grind to get the cars though. No level of grinding will produce cars in iRacing, in fact you will actively lose money since you are paying for each month!

Additionally, once you pay for content in GT or Forza, it's yours forever. Not so with iRacing! Pay $15 for a car but don't want to pay the monthly subscription? You lose all access to any features offered, including any straight up content that you paid for.

iRacing seems to me like they are not very good with their money. They have a (relatively) huge player base that's all paying money out the rear end and yet they constantly deny the possibility of making it cheaper for subscribers, despite the fact that other companies are able to offer content of the same quality for much much cheaper.

What exactly are you paying for with that monthly subscription? The servers that host your races? That seems a bit ridiculous to me. You're not paying for active content development, since any future content will have a price-tag anyway. Maybe it's all the phong shader development that they're still doing. It's sort of like how you have to pay for Xbox Live even though that's all peer-2-peer (actually XBL is worse).

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

tehsid posted:

The racing makes it all worth it. While yes, in rookie racing you'll face idiots crashing, most its mostly inexperience rather then malice. People really think about the fact they could end up wasting another $15, if they ruin their Safety Rating and that generally makes everybody try to race clean. You really don't see it in other sims. Its always a T1 clusterfuck.

Also the cars and tracks are worth the price. They put so much work into them that you'll rarely find anything as good in any other sim. Asseto Corsar is looking and feeling great, mind you, but the I fear the online races are going to be awful. We'll see though.

Assetto Corsa is a great example. A team comprised of a handful of people were able to finance development of a game that uses laser scanning for both cars and tracks and will retail for $50 dollars. The beta's physics model seems fantastic so far and impressively capable of handling for very different types of cars while not looking like it's from 2005, and there's additional content in the future promised as free updates. Not sure about standing starts though...

To me, iRacing's only advantage is the number of players and the standardized rating system, which means that you'll be paired up with people of similar skill. That's a really great thing, and I really hope that CARS or AC introduce similar systems to decrease the painful aspects of their online systems, but those games aren't even out yet, and when they do come out, it'll be interesting to see whether they attract the sort of numbers required for such a system to actually mean anything.

I never did like the community in iRacing though, mostly because whenever I discussed the pricing model with them they would always just shout some variation of "hobbies are expensive get over it" or "its totally worth it because they weigh every part man!" and so I got rather jaded pretty quickly. Also I never raced outside of the rookie league so people were very ready to yell at each other for incidents. Not sure if that's the case outside of the rookie league.

In terms of content, iRacing does not really offer enough of a difference from other products to justify the associated price. I think I might just not give enough shits if a car is made from CAD data or scanned in or if a track is created through laser scanning or photo reference and cad data, but even if I did other games are starting to offer that now.

If a game like AC offered a similar rating system and matchmaking system as iRacing (which wouldn't require a subscription, FPS and RTS games have been doing it incredibly well for years) then I would never even think about going back. I think a little competition is really needed for iRacing, and that it would really benefit subscribers if another sim came out that was able to cause the iRacing team to sweat a little. Until then I'll just stay bitter about it.

EDIT:

quote:

The problem with this is the learning curve and the way racing works. It really cant be done like League of Legends. Not possible.

...Wait why not? Something like DOTA has just as steep a learning curve as iRacing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

I said come in! posted:

I dunno, iRacing has 60 race tracks. Not sure of any other racing games with that many?

But I'll never actually own all 60 tracks, as people have already said that'd be stupid and expensive. Nor would I want to, since so many are ovals or tracks in America I've never heard of (out of my own ignorance). It's great that it has that selection but for me my favourite tracks (Spa, Monaco, Monza, Suzuka) almost always pop up in every sim anyway. In fact, I really don't like the fact that if I want to fully participate in the higher leagues, I'll probably have to buy some track that I'll never race on again outside of that, or worse I'll buy a track only to find that I find it incredibly unfun to drive on!

It's also hard to compare the amount of content since no other sim has seen continuous development for as long as iRacing or had so much money pumped into it.

quote:

The whole point is you work your way up to the top tiers of racing. You can't just jump into a Le Mans prototype race car in your first day. That would be horrible to allow rookies to be able to do that.

Haha why? You just keep them separated from the rest and let them do their own thing. They may not be fast but whatever, it lets them get excited about driving something faster than a Miata and let's them try out different cars. Hell, don't count the trials towards any ratings and it won't matter if people crash. Or even just let them only practice with the car/track for free for a week or two, it'd still be a smart way to allow people to recognize which cars they'd enjoy driving and even push them toward impulse buys.

Cojawfee posted:

As steep a learning curve to master, not to play basically. You can't jump into a new car in iRacing and expect to even be mediocre at it. It takes time to learn the car and it takes time to learn the track. That's why the rookie series is always the same four tracks over and over again every four weeks. While you're getting used to the game, you're always in familiar territory. If one week you got the mx-5 then the next was the mustang, then the next was the Lotus 79, you'd never progress in the game. It takes a lot of practice and effort just to be able to drive a new car around a track at a pace that doesn't get you slammed into from behind.

And as far as pricing goes, you're not just paying iRacing, you're also paying the company that owns whatever it is you're buying. The tracks get a cut of each sale and so do manufacturers.

The rookie season is the same 4 tracks over and over again because those are the tracks that come with the base subscription. And your point regarding pricing is true for every other racing game as well...

I'm not saying replace the rookie series with a series where each week the car is randomly chosen, I'm saying that having a track or car be free to test out for a week or two (separate from the main series) would definitely benefit both the members and the company.

EDIT: iRacing may not need to change right now, but I'm hoping that it's forced to change to something that is more fun, cheaper for members and more profitable for the dev team. That seems pretty reasonable.

Brownie fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 14, 2013

• Locked thread