Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I picked up Assetto Corsa on the Steam sale after pining for getting into sim racing (and because I own a Logitech Wingman Formula Force GT wheel that was gathering dust), and frankly after playing it for just a few laps I realize I really want a much nicer wheel than that, so I picked up a G27.

I plan to just mount it on my regular computer desk as I think it'll be the right height (no problems with the FFGT and they look like they have similar mounts), but I'm worried that the H shifter is going to feel all wrong being that high. What do you guys recommend for mounting that thing low and to the right outside of buying one of those $500 seat/wheel/monitor mounting stations?

Any other must-do mods that'll void my warranty on the wheel/pedals/shifter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
Joined! And thanks for the heads up on the Race 07 deal. Picked up Race 07 Injection bundle for free due to a bunch of sold trading cards and globes, so even though I'm horrible, perhaps I can join you gents. Of course, my new g27 doesn't get here until the 24th, and I'll be out of town until the 28th. So after that.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

peter gabriel posted:

Also yes you can pull the pedal units apart and put foam blocks in there to create more resistance, it's really easy to do and there are loads of guides on Google.

I'm usually a loving master at Google-fu for this type of stuff, but the only mods I keep finding are forum posts about dual springs, the Nixim mod (new spring and what looks like a rubber block), and then a bunch of crazy rear end load cell mods that break $100. Do you happen to have a link to a foam brake mod that you recommend?

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

peter gabriel posted:

[stuff about modding pedals]

Yeah, I found that video. I think the first plan of action is to see if I like them out of the box to start with, of course. The pedals are a big upgrade over what comes with the Formula Force setup... so I might be just fine with default spring action. The little bit of AC I played with my old setup left me thinking that breaking is way too linear, however... and I lost control just about every turn. Of course, I also suck right now... so it might not just be the pedals!

But I think if I try to mod them, I'm going to look for the double spring shown in that vid. That seems pretty easy to pull off in a way that shouldn't muck up the innards.

Edit: Yeah, Race 07 is on the games list for TrackIR. AC isn't on their list though... but I think I'm going to use their head track to keyboard button application and just mod in the glance controls to left and right neck movement. I find that I don't get much out of head tracking for racing games.

Essobie fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 22, 2013

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

peter gabriel posted:

Thankfully there's always RUF - always count on RUF :)
I'd love a 959 though.

It's actually just Ruf, apparently (I only know this because I just wikipedia'd it because I was curious about how they get to put Ruf cars in various video games... the only one I was familiar with was Test Drive Unlimited 2).

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

Cojawfee posted:

Ruf is a separate company that modifies porsches. So they can put their cars in games. Similar to how grand theft auto can have cars that look strikingly like real cars but aren't licensed.

I don't think that is all that similar, really. What GTA did/does is what Interstate '76 did, which is creates an alternate universe version of popular/well known vehicles and gives them clever names. There are no real world companies/logos involved in these games.

Ruf is a real company in the real world that takes real Porsches, mods them, and slaps their logo on them. And then they are featured in video games which explicitly cannot have actual Porsches featured in them because of licensing BS, yet all of the other cars in said games are actual cars in reality with all of the original logos (Ferrari, Lotus, BMW, etc. etc. etc.).

I guess the really telling thing is that I would be surprised to see a game have both the Porsche license as well as the Ruf license.

Frankly, I'm surprised EA cried like a baby about this little real-world sanctioned loophole in their attempt to keep Porsches all to themselves. Actually, I'd be more surprised if they haven't already done this on multiple occasions (I just looked and could not google up any examples of them trying to get Ruf removed from any games).

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
I got my G27 hooked up, realized I need to complete a project to prevent my computer chair from rolling away (I'll be doing this with the pedals tomorrow), but even sitting in a really uncomfortable dining room chair (without wheels) last night, I sat there and drove a Fiat around Monza for about 3 straight hours last night in Assetto Corsa. I am pretty bad at sim racing, but AC is pretty loving awesome with literally only Time Attack/Practice modes.

I also gave some Race '07 some play time last night as well. There is too much content in that loving thing (with all the add-ons I got with it on the cheap). Can someone recommend a good progression for someone who 1) has a good idea of what you are SUPPOSED to do to go fast in a racing sim but 2) is just really bad at it to start out? I just don't know where to start in that software!

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

EvilJoven posted:

I have a different setup that stows better:

To keep the rudders from pushing away from my feet (also a bonus shot of the fact that all of my cables and the switch to my power bar have to be covered because of my loving cats):

To keep my chair from sliding back:

Simple and effective.

I love the doorstop chocks. Unfortunately, it does not work well on my surface. I have carpet covered by one of those office chair rolling surfaces, which is extra slick by design. The door stop simply slides along on it. :( And I was so excited!

Meh... the DIY project should be easy and cheap, and my computer area has room for the MDF panel to lay about off to the side. I've already got a joystick/rudder pedal monstrosity made out of PVC to my right, one more bit of kit to the left isn't going to make the area look any less dorky!

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

peter gabriel posted:

Completely by accident I put a car mat under my pedals one day and have never looked back, they never move at all.
Seriously, if you can, try that, the awesome side effect is your pedals look even more authentic sat down there on a car mat!

The pedals moving isn't my problem... it's my chair moving away from my pedals.

It matters not, however, as I have completed my project! And because half the fun of doing poo poo like this is showing it off, here is some images of the results!

This is the setup in "driving mode", as it were. Chair rolls up onto the bottom panel into the slot and acts as chocks. You can roll out of the slot fairly easily but you really have to mean to.

The monitors swing as close as I can get them to the wheel and still be able to reach the keyboard if I need to.

The wheel and shifter are not perma-mounted (although that was a possibility... but I've found that currently the existing table mount mechanism holds them in place fine... and it makes switching to "non-driving mode" a breeze. Just loosen both devices, slide them down the desk to the left, and tighten one of the clasps finger tight so they don't fall off the desk. The pedal panel just slides to the left, leaving my legs plenty of room for normal sitting posture.
Shown to the right of my chair is my crazy-rear end Flight Sim rig made from PVC, which has to slide under my desk to set up. I may have a problem.

Here's what the whole thing looks like when I'm not driving:

Here's a shot of just the panel with the pedals attached:

Home Depot didn't have 3/8 inch MDF, so I had to settle for the slightly thinner 1/4 MDF, which meant that trying to countersink the bolts would have been too risky for the equipment I have, so the only concession I made was that the bolts are sitting raw on top of the bottom panel. I did a few laps in a Fiat using the H shifter (and clutch) and with just a single strip of this industrial strength Velcro on the side closest to me, these pedals do not go anywhere at all.

Here's what the part between the two boards looks like:

I did this just in case I want to adjust where the pedals are in relation to the chair (or so my 6'1" nephew can come over and play it as well... all I'll need to do is add another strip of the soft part of the Velcro closer to the wall, and it's easy-peasy). The board mounted to the pedals gives me a nice flat surface to attach the Velcro to, as the bottom of the pedals is this mostly non-solid plastic design.

All in all it took me 2.5 hours, including the trip to Home Depot and cleaning my living room of the resulting mess.

Now I just need to learn how to get fast at racing with intermittent bouts of Euro Truck Simulator 2.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

Mootallica posted:

Does anybody have anything bad to say about wheel stands in general?

I've been eyeballing this for a week or two. I've got a G27 that effectively sits in its box because I can't be bothered unpacking it to connect to the table whenever I feel like using it. Getting something like this looks like it'll be easier to store when I'm not using it.

This was the first one I started looking at, but I have a big enough desk to mount it on as well as slide it over when not playing (see my post a few pages back): http://www.wheelstandpro.com/products/wheel-stand-pro-for-logitech-g25g27-racing-wheel---deluxe

Looks like it is a bit pricier than the one you linked, but it also looks like adjusting it is a bit easier since it is tension levers instead of allen wrench clasps. There's lots of Youtube reviews of the Wheel Stand Pros as well. I have no actual opinion of the product, however.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

Jehde posted:

I finally got AC for Christmas and now it just makes me want to get a wheel more. First thing I did though was load in this track and bruteforce through it until I could finally make it to the bottom. My replay is way messier than his, but I managed 7:07.4.

What does "you need Richard Burns Rally to play it" mean on that website? Is this ported to AC, or not? Or does it use assets from RBR?

Edit: Sorry for double post. :(

Double Edit: From the readme: "If you do not own Richard Burns Rally and play this you are a bad person." Yeah, I guess it includes assets from another game.

Essobie fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 2, 2014

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
Story time!

I was having trouble figuring out what would be a good way to start learning how to actually race sim cars because I am horrible at it, so I popped in the irc channel and tehsid recommended using the standard WTCC '07 cars on Monza as it has many different corner types that typify what one might see on any other track.

As I drive a Honda in real life, I started out with the '07 Accord and got started in Practice mode to start hot lapping it. I think I put in about 3 hours and went from putting it into the wall at least once a lap to being able to consistently post between 2:00 and 2:20 lap times. And just to start getting into the idea of having other cars on the tracks, I played a couple of race events against cars (which by default start at 80% skill). The first race I did not finish. The second race I came in first... mostly because if you can just survive, you'll eventually pass 25 80% cars without any challenge at all.

I then tried out the BMW and found I really hate 5 speeds that don't have an auto-clutch. I need to try out the other cars in the class now.

Some points:

• This genre is dangerous crack for me.
  • I am kicking myself for bothering with a Logitech Wingman Formula Force for the last couple of years and not just sucking it up and getting the G27 immediately. Once you get good values on this thing for the FFB, it is simply a joy to use.
  • I don't know what clicked for me, but before today I was really worried I was just not going to grok this at all, and be doomed to spin out at every corner. But now I just want to tell others just getting into this like me: Don't give up! I'm by no means fast but I am confident I can finish 8 laps if I just keep focus. And it is fun as hell!

Watch the iRacing Driving School videos then start playing Race '07 on a popular track with cars that aren't stupidly powerful nor stupidly under powered and practice the stuff mentioned in the videos.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
Awesome stuff! Yeah, the imaginary box with springs concept is the main thing that clicked for me last night (when I suddenly just stopped going off the track at every corner that needed breaking), but that page clears up a few things I wasn't total groking.

I also did the lowering of the FOV last night as well. With my monitor arms I can get the screen only 28 inches away from my face (coupled with TrackIR), which lets me drop the FOV down to like 60. Everything feels very slow (which is a good thing, since you are dealing with reaction times for this situation).

So outside of trying to get together Goon Games and dropping hundreds of bucks playing iRacing, what do the rest of you do for your multiplayer fix? Any particular forums or leagues or whatever you would recommend?

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
The Cadillac deal is no longer available, and it appears that neither is the one from IZOD (it looks a whole lot like the "free" 3 month membership to iRacing is gained by paying them 35 bucks for their "Champion Membership" to whatever Indy Car Digital Magazine or something). It is looking like the best deal to give iRacing a try is 50% off of a 1 month membership which comes to 6 bucks (only valid for new accounts).

I think I'm going to pass on even that. I have plenty of content with AC and Race '07 (plus all of its add-ons and user made content), and frankly AI cars are still having no problem beating all of my times... no reason to subject myself to human opponents just yet!

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

An Enormous Boner posted:

I haven't tried the Civic yet, but I am reminded of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPCGnkApnDU

Is this something you can do in any racing sim that exists? It seems like if you get to that position (which I get into all the time because I'm bad!), there simply no way that tires that are realigned with forward motion ever get their grip back. That is an awesome save, for sure.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
Regarding wheel strength, what is the advantages/disadvantages to the amount of FFB strength on the wheel? It seems like you, as a player, would only want as much strength as it would take to give you the feedback you need to understand when you are going to lose grip or hit curbs or whatever... but watching those videos with a guy who's entire loving bedroom is shaking as he tries to wrangle in that mid-80s F1 car makes me think there's some benefit to struggling with the wheel like it was even more difficult than one in real life.

I guess the thing I should be asking is... do F1 cars from the 80s just not have power steering at all and he's just trying to "simulate" the real thing?

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
Nice. I see you went with screws instead of glue. I watched the Inside Sim Racing guys put one of those together and the whole time I'm cringing because they were using plumbing glue on that (and the poo poo dries in like 4 seconds or something).

How much do those chairs run, anyway?

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
So I picked up a DVD copy of rFactor for 2x :10bux: rather than the $27 they were asking for the digital version, thinking it would have a product key and I could just install the digital version and activate it. I didn't read enough of their FAQs however, so I'm on a different version that doesn't require activation (it just requires you keep the disc in the drive :rolleyes:).

I attempted to join some multiplayer lobbies just to make sure my upgraded dvd version "f" can play right along side version "g" which is the latest digital release. But of course I didn't have the track and/or the cars and/or the mods installed needed to play with random online games, so I'm still not sure if I'm stuck with bots or what. Anyone know for sure?

Additionally, the FFB out of the box is pretty much not even there, so I've installed the "Real Feel FFB" plugin and I'm trying to tweak it so it doesn't feel like it is trying to jerk my arms out of their sockets when I shift gears in a turn but also strong enough that I'm not always turning the wheel so hard I put it into a spin every corner. Anyone have any good advice on the best way to go about tweaking it for a G27? The guides I've found via google don't seem to be all that helpful since frankly I don't really know what FFB is supposed to feel like in a car going 200mph over a rumble strip into grass into gravel into a brick wall. :|

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
Speaking of paying too much to race on the Internet, someone in the steam thread pointed out GTR Evolution (packaged with Race 07) is on sale for pennies here: http://www.bundlestars.com/store/gtr-evolution/

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
Hah! The fact that I couldn't immediately decide which side was real until he took a big turn and his hands gave it away certainly says something for the graphics quality!

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

An Enormous Boner posted:

There are so many concessions you have to make if you want to actually play a racing sim and one of them is see behind. It doesn't matter if it's physically impossible for whatever reason, we need it in a computer game.

Agreed. There are so many things that you lack while playing any type of vehicle simulator, and a really big one is situational awareness. A 5.1 speaker setup will only get you so far, and mirrors never seem to be clear enough or high enough resolution to really let you use them like you would in real life.

Using TrackIR to look all the way behind me (through a car interior that is missing most of the polygons behind the driver seat) in rFactor is something I had to enable by editing an ini file to increase the distance you could look, but man is it nice to actually glance over my left shoulder when I'm pulling out of a pit to make sure I'm not going to plow into someone.

I kind of put AC down for a while since I got into playing multiplayer rFactor/Race07, but the moment that sim gets multiplayer (assuming it is as good or better than rFactor/Race07) I'm probably going to play nothing but that.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I finally got RealFeel and LeoFFB working correctly in rfactor and went hog wild getting every hillclimb and touge road I could. You should not watch this video of my first time driving up the Transfargafegrafengan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN79FXksUVc

I've had RealFeel mostly working for a while now, but I'm never quite satisfied with it. Install tutorials and tips and tricks on various forums throughout the Internet have a lot of differing methods for setting stuff up, so I'm curious how you went about getting everything working on your end. Where did you download the plugin(s) from? Do you have to set up every car (or class of car) separately like I am currently? What settings do you typically use?

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

365 Nog Hogger posted:

It's still totally dependent on the car you use it with being not terrible, but I used this guide: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/614-rFactor-Better-FFB-Tutorial
I haven't gotten any other cars to feel as good as the RX-7 though.

Yeah, that was the main thread I was pulling stuff from. Frankly I could do without the slow moving nonsense that LeoFFB offers in that combo package, but given that the guy who made RealFeel just added that stuff in with no actual way to disable it that I can figure out*, I have to live with my G27 rattling all over the place until I get up to 48kph. The rest feels fine with a bit of tweaking.

*That thread mentions "If you have severe oscillation when not moving simply lower the "Stiffness of Stationary wheels" value in the LeoFFB.ini" which actually doesn't do poo poo in this regard. I still get oscillation if I just tap the wheel a bit... and it just starts going nutso. I've tried dropping that setting to 0, and it doesn't matter. I've also tried setting the MinSpeed setting in the RealFeel ini file to 0 to essentially say "I don't want any LeoFFB stuff in my setup at all, regardless of speed", but no dice.

rFactor being the Linux of driving sims is a perfect analogy, for sure.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

Helicon One posted:

Does anyone here use or have opinions on race2play.com? At first glance it looks like an iRacing-type league creator and finder for all the sims that aren't iRacing and without the subscription. Seems like the obvious place to start if I'm looking for a rFactor league to race in but has anyone tried it who can comment?

That's what I'm doing for my event based racing. You register on their forums to get a "lisence" to enter events, if I remember correctly, then you just look at the calendar, find a race you are interested in that you are allowed to join*, and join in. The vast majority of racing is done in rFactor 1, but they also have some Race07, some GTR2, some rFactor2, and a few others.

It is free, the cars are all free, the tracks are all free, and out of the 10 or so events I've joined, only one of them featured some rear end in a top hat trying to take out the field after he ruined his car in turn 1 trying to divebomb the entire group. Everything else has been really clean racing.

No, the tracks aren't laser accurate, but it is still a great way to get organized or semi-organized race events that are miles better than randoms on random, unpassworded servers.

For fun starter races, I recommend the F1-'78 series, the Z-Mini series, and any FBMW races you can find. P3000 and S5000 races are also great.

*Some scheduled events are part of racing leagues that you are required to join that might have their own special rules and such... most of the ones I've been interested in joining are open to join.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
There is also this leaderboard: http://rivalitempo-softgrip.rhcloud.com/

They have a menu widget that allow you to pick a leaderboard with a car/track combo and a shortcut button to immediately load up a hotlap setup with that combo. They have in game widgets that do other stuff to, like have live comparisons to leaderboard leaders for the combo you are currently racing.

I haven't messed with it all that much, but it does work.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
Regarding getting rf1 tracks, you can get a ton of them on race2play.com here: http://www.race2play.com/sim/show/3#tracks

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
Played a bit of the Assetto Corsa career running around in a 500 earning medals in what is apparently a still oddly scored Time Attack mode. It is certainly fun having a set progression through stuff in a racing sim. All my passed experience has been in stuff like rFactor where it is all league races and you just get thrown in the deep end.

I'm a bit miffed since they still haven't lifted the ludicrous view angle limit for TrackIR, but until I start racing other humans, this isn't a huge deal. There's a support thread on their forums about it, so hopefully they'll address it in the short term.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
Yeah, unless you plan on practicing to become a real life car racer, I think the G27 is plenty of wheel and pedal. I don't even use the full 900 degrees for most of my racing (pretty much stick to 400). There are also mods you can do to make the pedals feel more realistic if you don't like them out of the box... but I'm fine with them as is.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
I was reading another forum that happened to be talking about shifting and someone linked an old Empty Box vid about shifting that you guys might find entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7lUi-K3A1g

He specifically mentions the fact that in most games transmission failure is typically not simulated to the degree that clutch use is even all that important, but the arguement there is that doing it is fun.

His foot cam also shows what I thought everyone knows: you should drive on your sim pedals with socks only. Unless you really want to go full sim nerd and buy a pair of racing boots. Which from what I can tell are just fire retardant socks.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

Mentos Dan posted:

WRC 4 is a pretty fun game and on sale over on Steam right now for less than you guys spend each month on video-game steering-wheel polish.

I was just about to install RBR and try to get all of the crazy mods working with it today and failed miserably (and the website that hosts the mod patches seems to not want to let me get them anyway). I think I'd rather play something that came out in the last couple of years for a Rally fix. I hope you aren't steering me wrong here! :haw:

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
I'm deeply satisfied by using extremely intrusive HUD apps to get that information. If someone told me they could put all of my dashboard info in my windshield like I was a fighter pilot, I would totally do that (yes, I know there are actual cars that have this, but they are out of my price range and taste).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
I have an Ozone. I like it quite a bit. It takes a bit of getting used to, and if you want to do some flight sims as well as sim racing, I recommend a couple of additions: The flight stick and throttle add-on, and the fully articulating keyboard tray (the one that comes with the revolution version of the desk). The basic keyboard tray that comes with the ozone is kind of poo poo... it only rotates.

That combination means you'll be able to swing the keyboard easily out of the way and pop in both a flight stick and a throttle stand (with your HOTAS attached, already of course) and switching from car to cockpit is about a 10 second ordeal.

That said, I really had to talk myself into pulling the trigger on this because it was going to mean giving up my nice Ikea computer desk and expensive office chair full time. If you read the obutto forums you'll see a lot of people go this route, and again, it takes some getting used to. I'd recommend reading stuff on their forums about it if you are thinking about either the ozone or the revolution. I think if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably get the revolution instead and eat the extra cost (which is not a small difference). It has a better 3 monitor solution than the Ozone, has more add on options (articulating table surfaces), and comes with the better keyboard mount (as mentioned above).

There are other premade cockpit solutions out there, but the Ozone was the best bang for the buck from the reviews and such that I looked at.

If you are super handy with PVC and like to paint, drill, etc., there are a few pretty good looking plans available on the net that might be worth a look that you can have for way less money (but quite a bit more time). I think the inside sim racing forums have a DYI section that has a lot of pictures and tips on that route.

• Locked thread