Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone here in the Autoclub Revolution beta?

It's a nice concept, but I find the browser based thing a la BF3 pretty offensive usability-wise. If they needed a web interface for convenience, they could at least have embedded it into the client for fast starting action and avoiding the jumping back and forth to the desktop.

As far as physics go, I'm still only driving that Opel, but it has serious grip issues. I've actually driven Spa, and a lot of curves I've taken at higher speeds with less sliding. And back at that point, my driving experience consisted of a rally driver copilot that seemed to be a mute unless I looked like I was about to kill myself. It has essentially not enough grip, and almost nothing at all when starting to slide. Pretty much the problem pCARS fixed recently in their physics.

--edit:
Can't even reach 200kph with the Golf R32 anywhere on Spa. It's a drat 3.2 liter V6 with AWD :psyduck:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Caremad Effortpost posted:

It's not dead. I play on Cargame and cruising servers every single day and they are fully populated.
Never understood the point of cruising servers. At least not with the small tracks, anyway.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Caremad Effortpost posted:

It's got tons and tons of roads to drive and all sorts of secret shortcuts/alternate routes. I wish there was something like it for a more modern sim.
My wet dream would be something like Test Drive Unlimited, but with proper physics.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

For LFS to survive, they need to finally release S3 and modding support. I doubt that a single art guy will be able to do more cars and tracks in any sort of realistic time window.

There's competition at the horizon, and they're very interested in unsettling the rest of the sims. There's Assetto Corsa, Project CARS and rFactor, and they're making up a lot of ground in the simulation physics. And graphics. And content.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The fun with the FXO alone is worth the 20 bux.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The original Rigs of Rods had cars and trucks that solely relied on chassis flex for suspension and they acted nicely. Which has me stumped why sim developers (apparently) don't want to simulate it, apart from F1 cars, most others are relatively flexible and it would probably make a difference in cornering and/or bumpier roads.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 29, 2012

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Don't get the GTX560. Most are stock overclocked and a whole load of trouble in regards to stability.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Project Cars has ongoing FFB work. Every week feels a little different. The tire and suspension forces to FFB conversion code is parametrized to boot and currently open for player tinkering. SMS welcomes submitting your files, if you mess with the parameters, to try to find a common ground for release. Right now, it's XML editing, but an UI is supposed to follow.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

None of the sims is 100% accurate. They're all using real life values with slight tweaks to them for feel. How that translates for you all depends on quality and fidelity of the tire model, vehicle dynamics and also most importantly the FFB.

In the end, if you're talking about the sim bigwigs, it's subjective, since they're all close in terms of physics. Of course, if you start including things like Auto Club Revolution, you can start making objective claims that certain games are bullshit in terms of physical realism.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I never understood the need for turbo modelling, if the engine's a dumb torque curve.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

A proper turbo simulation requires a parametric engine model to work with, that takes, among other parameters, air intake and pressure from the turbo as parameter and outputs exhaust volume/pressure to the turbo. No simulation does a parametric engine IIRC. So a turbo simulation just spits out a ramped multiplier based on throttle position.

The only game that seemed to try such an engine simulation was RBR, but it didn't make it into game because it was too CPU heavy (it tried to simulate actual cylinder strokes).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I tried tracking down that reference, and it seems they're actually trying to come up with an combustion engine simulation.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I think the idea of Raceroom is to give you a watered down introduction to sim racing. Don't expect to be able to disable the driving aids ever in RR.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That's what I've been told. Grain of salt required. Word was that the better stuff was reserved for GTR3.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

And still no new physics or content in LFS.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Just in these update notes, they still pretend to be still working on it.

I get that these guys have day jobs, but so does the physics guy over at SMS, and he's started late in comparison, and yet is pretty far into a real-time quasi-FEM-simulation of a tire. So... I agree with you.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Promises of a new tire model, new cars including a VW Scirocco, and three more tracks. That was promised for around three years ago. Delays are fine, but this is stretching it. What makes it worse is that the head team guy makes the other content depending on the tire model which doesn't go anywhere.

There's other companies making hardcore simulations, and they have or are delivering better since quite a while. So people flock to that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That's pretty debatable. There's plenty of folks in the nKp and rF camps that may want to challenge your opinion. In the end, it's subjective. A lot of a virtual car's felt behavior gets attributed to the tire model, even tho the FFB is responsible for it (which also feeds back into the tire model to some degree, depending on how you react to the generated FFB).

What should be making you to think for a minute is why current models seem to be so CPU-heavy compared to LFS. PCARS spends a drat lot of CPU in-game on the tires, while rF2 spends a metric shitton of CPU time on creating lookup tables offline. God knows what AC does, because they keep delaying their drat techdemo.

From what I know, LFS uses a brush tire model, which is what everyone tries to get away from. Even the LFS devs (pretend to).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Keeps getting pushed back. There was supposed to be a tech demo by now, which also keeps being pushed back.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Can't tell you anything about input devices, I've only ever owned a MOMO wheel (which is pretty lovely) and a G27. You'll definitely want Clubsport Pedals. While I personally couldn't convince myself shelling out money for these yet, they have one critical advantage over virtually all other pedals, and that's a loadcell instead of a spring in the brake pedal. So if you want realism, you want a pedal simulating a hydraulic stop, i.e. the Clubsport Pedals.

As far as the computer hardware goes, you might want to consider to prop up your budget by another 1000 bucks or so, to be on the safe side, and go with a triple-screen system. Most of the new and upcoming games seem to have varying levels of direct support for such configurations.

In regards to the games themselves, it's all subjective. All the new games have pretty detailed simulation physics these days, but everyone has different idea on how to tune these physics models and how the virtual cars should feel. Personally, I've spent my most time on PCARS, so I'm pretty biased for it. It isn't wrong to get an S2 license to LFS, if you haven't tried it yet.

LFS is a popular classic option, but its development stopped almost in its tracks a few years ago, altho there have been minor fixes and additions lately after a long time of nothing, but the promised new tire model and content still hasn't been seen in over three years. The current upcoming games are PCARS, rFactor2 and Assetto Corsa. PCARS runs sort of an open development model, where you could "buy" yourself access to it for monthly or weekly builds, depending on the amount (it's currently closed off, but it appears there'll be upcoming windows to sign up). rF2 runs a semi-open beta, where you have to "preorder" the game to gain access. AC promised sort of a beta for a while, but it's getting delayed all the time. Other classic options are rFactor1 and GTR2, I've barely played the two, so I can't say anything about them.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I thought the CSPs had a foam spring for the initial brake pedal travel and then the loadcell, who actually registers the pressure applied to it?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Falken posted:

Yes, the foam can be replaced with different stiffness pieces, as well as a different metal spacer for varying travel.

There is still an actual spring on the pedal though.
Yeah, but pedal position isn't defining the brake input. Once the foam spring's been squashed (or whatever you replaced it with), the pedal's at a fix position, like a hydraulic stop (pads in contact with the discs) and only the pressure on the loadcell counts.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It has the 458, so I guess I'll be getting an AC license... somewhen this century, whenever that is.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

For poo poo and giggles I tried to spend some time on multiplayer again. Seriously, unless you got iRacing style overly sensitive punishing and qualification systems, why would one want to play multiplayer? It's not like simracing games have such a huge following, so you have to play on public ones. Since it's become more of a niche, you'd expect the average skills to be higher. And yet, you have still to deal with people that don't use brakes, cut everything and constantly careen into other players, because they don't look into mirrors and carry too much speed into every corner. How exactly is that fun?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I thought this Race Room crap is kneecapped GTR3 (i.e. with forced driving aids). Seems advanced enough to be not too far off.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It's another ISI-based game, before you get your hopes up for fancy physics.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Physics are supposedly on the level of rF1, since they didn't do much to the ISI code. So don't expect magic that'll hold a candle to the new games coming up. As far as graphics go, I don't have a clue, the last time I've tried it (a few months ago), it wasn't anything to cry home about. Some tracks looked pretty bad.

--edit: 12USD and upwards for single supercars. Heh.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 6, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What do you mean "support for drifting"? Drift tracks, or a drift mode in game? Because latter doesn't exactly sound promising from the physics standpoint. A simmer may get the impression that the physics aren't adequate enough to make the car driftable by setup only.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I just toss it under my desk. It's pretty wide, and the case stands next to it on the outside, so there's of space.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

All the youtube videos I watch mention how the people who make rFactor are apparently good at making a racing engine but terrible at every other thing that is involved in making a game.
Considering that SMS is pretty much a home office joint spread all over the world with somewhat of a churn rate apparently, it's surprising that ISI can't muster up some decent graphics guys.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

CactusWeasle posted:

That said, it's such a dynamic sim its amazing. Real road, weather, drying lines, tyre wear, flatspots, wind, temperature..... once they actually make everything work together it will be the most comprehensive sim imaginable.
They're not the only ones doing that stuff.

PCARS has weather/rain/drying lines, tire wear+flatspots and all that. Working that is (maybe not tuned properly, tho). Their throttle system even respects ambient air pressure of the locations, track position and weather dependent, live changing the power output of the car.

I'm sure Assetto Corsa's implementing the same features. I wish they'd reveal more details about their engine.

Not sure what "real road" is supposed to mean.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

All depends on what you want to do. If it's realistic driving/racing physics, doing a softbody simulation isn't enough. I'd wager the suspension in it is a simple spring, tires are probably nothing special either. Modern racing sims spend considerable CPU on simulating whole suspension geometries and multivalve dampers, as well feature highly complex tire and contact patch simulations. The advantage BeamNG has is chassis flex, something with racesims have not bothered simulating yet, which is think would still be worthwhile on non-F1 cars.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Haven't been playing much lately, but if, then I'm dicking around with the M3 GT or the R500.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Team members get daily updates since two weeks or so. Make sure you've selected the proper membership in the beta properties page in Steam.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Don't get used to the daily updates, tho. They're just happening because the physics guys are tweaking tires all day long.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

They'll probably delay it yet again.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I thought RR and GTR3 are essentially the same game engine, except with former having various aids forced on?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

GhostDog posted:

Why is it so hard to make a good rally sim? Was there some kind of one-in-a-billion genius working on RBR? If yes, where is he now?
Eero Piitulainen.

Not sure what he's doing how, but for being the supposed physics god everyone's making him out to be due to RBR, the same people also seemed to hate his other work, namely SHIFT 1 and 2. Last thing I know is that he was supposedly working on a MMO racer called Driver's Republic, but the lean info that was available on the web disappeared meanwhile.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

PCARS added the regular non-GT McLaren MP4-12C. Yay. I hope the GT-R is next, it was listed as GT and non-GT versions in the project roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That hillclimb track isn't included in the early access, right?

• Locked thread