Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Capn Payne posted:

Anyone with the rFactor 2 beta: https://sites.google.com/site/mididrumcoverpartner/rfactor2-realheadmotion-plugin

This is a shittily-translated page... they refer to file/ (which means your My Documents/rfactor2) and some other dir, which is your Program Files rfactor2 directory.

This more or less is the same thing as the iRacing ini tweak for equilibrium. This makes your "eyes" stay level with the track, while the car bounces around you -- it does what your inner ear does for you in a real car. It means you don't see a crazy bouncing view, but a stable, level one. It absolutely rules and turns something good into the best Cyber Nerd Sperg Driving Experience around.

Somewhat related, is that I always find the display of sims waaaaaaay to crisp. You get some blur from high frequency shaking. Especially in the mirrors. That's always just sort of annoyed me somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The tires are Dave Kaemmer's fault and he's kind of nuts so its probably not going to change. In NR2003 (basically iRacing v1.0) it was the same way. He got super spiteful about Sierra and EA and released all the NR2003 dev tools so a bunch of mods made it a lot better. There was a guy who basically released a replacement track for every track in game that had better grip values and were used in the actual racing driver's fun leagues.

Then he started iRacing which uses the NR2003 code base, sent a C&D to all the places hosting the dev tools and mod makers to remove the tools/mods from the internet.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Essobie posted:

Hah! The fact that I couldn't immediately decide which side was real until he took a big turn and his hands gave it away certainly says something for the graphics quality!

The real one is the one that doesn't look like a truck full of lard with a leak took a lap around earlier in the day..

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I used to use an oversized joystick for sim racing and it honestly felt like cheating sometimes.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Looks like Nikolaev forgot some frame bolts on his car or something :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Ziploc posted:

I really hope the netcode in Assetto gets better.

Netcode from LFS 10 years ago is still really really really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIUHaPGFfhY

Look at this poo poo. All online. No mods. (apart from a shader) Insane fields. Minimal jitter. And the cars still move around in such a way that you can read what's about to happen. Pickup races in LFS used to be amazing. I wonder if you can still find fields like that online.

God I love that game.

Man, there were so many good free to play sims back in the day.

The worst netcode in a game I've ever played was Dirt Track Racing. If a car lagged it's speed would suddenly be set to -20 and go backwards on the track for a second. Most of the races ended up with everyone but the leader crashed out.

• Locked thread