Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Bad Coffee posted:

Are there any inexpensive wheels that aren't the Driving Force GT? I bought one a few weeks back and it was great for a couple days, but then something inside started loosening up (I think) and now it rattles and feels terrible. This seems to be a pretty widespread problem and I'd hate to return this one only to get another that'll start falling apart so soon again.

Logitech has some of the best hardware support mankind is capable of. Contact them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Largepotato posted:

Get iracing, buy a couple hundred dollars of content and you too could be racing with these superb drivers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h9QLstSzpA&hd=1

expected goonpileup. disappointed. a shameful salesman. :)

Side note : upgrading to a DX11 video card made project C.A.R.S go from worthless to very playable. If you're testing it on older hardware, you're doing yourself and the game a disservice.

All i want out of life is a realistic dirt-oval sim that isn't an rFactor mod. :(

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

It's more of a long-haul investment. Most iRacers say this : If you treat it like a game, it's ridiculously expensive. If you treat it like a hobby, it's a great value. You kind of get what you pay for. Definitely not for everyone though.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Once they have some dirt oval mods going for it, I'm ALL OVER RF2.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

tehsid posted:

Not sure if anybody has seen this yet, but Victory: The Age of Racing, has just gone into beta.
http://victorythegame.com/

It looks interesting, but I'm dubious about it. Apparently its touting "Realistic Physics" but just from gameplay it doesn't really look like it. But on the other hand it does look fun.

Check out the about page.
http://victorythegame.com/victory/basics

I've signed up, and I'm downloading now. The whole future F1 thing looks neat, as does building your own car. Guess I'll know in an hour.

Have some videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vEUaQSW_l4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh5QeaSfTnE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg4NBUsR2y4

Just gave this a try. It looks interesting, but the only thing that'd make it more arcadey would be if there was a timer counting down and checkpoints I needed to pass to be allowed to keep driving.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

RaceRoom immediately detected my Driving Force GT and worked nicely. In the first loading screen, it explained that all of the driving aids are on, but when it's released you'll be able to have a much more "realistic experience". I doubt it'll deliver quite the realism we expect compared to the hardcore sims, but it looks like a decent product to help bleed audiences in the right direction, if they choose.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Joink posted:

Anyone have racing wheel suggestions. Was looking to spend under $200 for a new one. But right now I see ncix has the G27 on sale for $250. Is it worth it at that price? Im not the most hardcore of racing simmer but I do want something that will last. Currently looking at the G27 and DFGT. I dont know of any other wheels to look at.

Lots of people have the G27 and swear by it. I have a DFGT and it's quite good, but I regret not investing in the G27, for the H shifter, clutch, and nicer flappy paddles.

Fun aside : I picked up an original Motorola Droid from another goon for 40 bucks on SA mart, and it's now my dedicated tach/gears/shiftlight display. Worth every penny.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Also : WRC3 is NOT out on steam. If you're like me and really prefer to give gaben your money, check out the game's bullshit Steam Green Light Page and vote for it or whatever, because apparently you can't just publish a drat game on there any more?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

To answer your iRacing question : the software is included with the service. You sign up, give them money, and download the client, which keeps everything up to date for you. It's a much slower to start option than just grabbing say pCars or rFactor2 and popping into an F1 car and going nuts. If you go iRacing, be prepared to spend time working your way up through the ranks from mx-5s to Skip Barber cars, etc. It's also by far the most expensive in terms of software (monthly fees plus buying cars and tracks separately). iRacers tend to feel it's worth it, and I agree. The saying is that you look at it 1 of 2 ways : it's either a prohibitively expensive video game, or a great value of a hobby.

For your rig, I'd start looking at reviews of some pre-built setups and basing my budgeting from there.

For your desktop PC to drive the thing, basically a 1k budget will get you something that works pretty well right now, and will run iRacing flawlessly. I'd personally put closer to 2k into the PC to guarantee that it's more capable of running future sims. My PC was maybe 1200 bucks 4-5 years ago, and still plays iRacing well on medium settings, but it struggles on stuff like pCars and rFactor2 right now.

I'd start with generalized budgets for the important components, and adjusting from there based on further recommendations?

2k for a desktop PC?
1500 for screens / mounts?
1000 for cockpit, G27, and clubsports? something like this? gently caress, i don't know.
500 for incidentals (cables, nice speakers, a year of iracing service and some tracks and cars, random poo poo, padding for other budgets?)

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I gave iRacing a try on the free Cadillac demo, I don't know if it's just certain cars but the physics feel really screwy a lot of times. I had a blast racing the Miata and Solstice, but then I gave the CTS-V race car and Skip Barber formula thing (that I drunk purchased for some reason) a try and they both feel like I'm driving an overpowered FWD car or something, like extremely loose while coasting and then stabilize when I step on the gas. Are all of the faster cars like that? I don't know if I'm just driving the game wrong but it's disappointing that the fast cars drive so weird.

Also the oval races are hilarious, it's like some kind of stock car thunderdome. I couldn't stop laughing at some of the replays of people running off the track then doing donuts trying to get back on and taking out packs of cars, I've never seen anything like it even playing Forza where there are intentional wrecks all the time.

The skip barber car isn't so much a fast car, as it is a learning tool that forces you into proper driving habits (or spins you the gently caress out). The CTS-V takes a lot of throttle discipline as well, feels really erratic if you're braking hard, and is very easy to crash. Rumor has it the new Mclaren car is a much more "beginner friendly" faster car (anti lock brakes), but I haven't bought it yet. Come chill in the iRacing thread if you want to talk more iRacing specifics.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Just as an experiment I tried some of the downforceless open wheelers in Project CARS (the only other racing sim I own that has any) and the same effects were present, just to a much lesser extent. So I guess I just don't understand how small cars drive. That said, I loved the intense competition feeling in iRacing but I don't think I really have the time or willpower to get into it unless there are some faster cars that don't try to kill me every turn. I read they were releasing some FWD Honda and the Z4 GT car which is supposedly designed to be relatively easy to drive irl so I might look into it whenever those come out.

There are fast cars that are easy to drive. The HPD is a cakewalk to survive laps with, and a shitload of fun to drive. I bought it when iRacing was promoting an all-licenses race of HPDs at Spa, and hot-lapping the HPD at Spa is still one of my favorite things to do.

The HPD is one of the first cars I bought, and as a young driver I cyberstalked forums poster Largepotato around the service and would ghost follow him around as he raced his Ford GT. I was able to keep up with him and I'd barely even be familiar with the track we were racing on.

Be warned though that it attracts the caliber of driver that gives it terrible stigma. Basically what i'm saying is HPD drivers are usually pants-making GBS threads retards that wreck everyone.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

An Enormous Boner posted:

rFactor 2 got "released". Way, way, too early. It's still decidedly a beta.

I think they might have hosed up, but let's wait and see what Assetto Corsa's state is once it's released.

Wait.. What? whoa.

Well , up until the last time I ran it, it ran like total poo poo. Now, it plays fairly nice.

Now to feverishly and impatiently wait for DirtFactor / BOZ sprintcars to be ported.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

tater_salad posted:

Looking for some help.
I recently picked up an upgrade from my 2002 era dell desktop.
I'm now rocking a core 2 2.3ghz laptop. With a 512mb nvidia card
What's the feeling towards race 07 (its about the same vintage as the lappy)
I'm lookin for a play occasional game that isn't arcade as need for speed but not punishing where I need to spend hours on the computer with force feedback controllers to get the best line. And maybe play online every once in awhile.
If there is something better leme know.

I think race07 is about as close to what you want as you can get. Live4Speed would run well on that system, but I have no idea if anyone plays it.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Welp : splurged on an Obutto Ozone, and have a g27 and 660ti coming this week.

Most important lesson learned is to make sure the displays you buy are VESA mount compatible. This poo poo is tacked on with a boatload of "Gorilla Epoxy"

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Chiming in on SimRaceway's graphics : They're awful. Absolutely just... crap. They're trying a few more interesting things, like support for drifting, and they've added an off-road track that ushers in some potential for a lot more variety.

The sim itself feels... ok, but nothing close to iRacing or pCars.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

There are weekly "events" you can participate in, which is a plus... And one of them is basically a poorly set up Supra in a ridiculously tight track, and they called it a "drifting challenge". All in all the sim is half-baked and barely deserves to be called a sim.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Just in case anyone was curious, the new Nascar the Game: 2013 feels pretty arcade-y even with all assists off and the toughest setting. On top of that, car sounds work about half the time... AI opponents spin you out as the green drops constantly, and it doesn't even support resolutions greater than 1920x1080.

It's still a "beta" on steam, but my hopes aren't high right now.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Do any of you play Project Cars with a controller? How do you like it?

It's bad, if you ask me. It feels like the steering doesn't react to my input as fast as it should, on the 360 Controller.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

:siren: Logitech G27 is $199 today on Amazon :siren:

Worth every penny , I got one as an upgrade from the Driving Force GT and it was a brilliant decision.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Google Butt posted:

There's no wheel guide in the op, sorry if this has been covered.. What wheel should I get for $150 or less?

If you're patient : find a deal on a G25/G27.

if you're impatient : Driving Force GT.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Praqzis posted:

If I can't blow the money on a g27, is a DFGT sufficient for things like iRacing? Turns out there are some local ones I might be able to snag for under $100...

Absolutely. It's a perfect beginner's wheel. Use it for 6 months, and if you get even more into sim racing, resell it and grab a G27 after you've had the chance to save your money.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Google Butt posted:

How annoying do you guys think it would be to run 2 different monitors in a 3 monitor setup? I have a 23" Dell ultra sharp and a 23" asus tn display, and I'm considering adding another Asus display if I can find one cheap enough.

I did this for a while. So long as they're all the same resolution, you won't have many issues. It'll only be bad if edges not perfectly lining up trigger an OCD reaction.

If they're different resolutions, you're in a world of poo poo.

A couple years ago, my left display was 1600x900, center was 1680x1050, and right was 1366x768. At the time, Eyefinity didn't support different resolutions (I think it does now). I had to run something called SoftTH to fool my computer into rendering the scene and placing it properly across all 3, and it was just awful.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

:siren: Assetto Corsa is on sale on Steam :siren: until March 10th for %33 off, or $26.65

edit : got distracted, and beaten by the above poster.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

:siren: The Logitech G27 is $199 on Amazon (gold box deal) today. Treat yourself.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Abner Assington posted:

Unsure if this is the best thread, but F1 2013 is 75% off on Steam today. What's the consensus on it? I have 2011 and enjoy it, and figure $16 is a fair price for 2013 + Classics packs, but I wanted to get some outside opinions since the user reviews are generally negative.

I think generally using the word "simulation" in conjunction with a Codemasters product gets you laughed at in most circles. It's not as sim-y as most enthusiasts want.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Drunk Badger posted:

Do any PC sims have karts? That's one step in the right direction

PCars does.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Drunk Badger posted:

I had the DFGT before I had a G27. Back in the DFGT days I thought the pedals were just fine, but when I took the DFGT on a trip and tried it for the first time since the G27 purchase, I agree that they're no comparison to the G27. The DFGT is still more than fine for a first wheel.

precisely this. Driving Force GT is the perfect "beginner" wheel.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

My wide feet force me to take my shoes off in order to use my G27.

Edit : Pedal gaps are significantly wider in my impreza. No problem driving it at all with my duck-feet.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 13, 2014

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Ziploc posted:

So will existing customers get a steam version?

I finally set some proper FOV settings in my sims last night. But that meant not being able to see the dash through the wheel anymore. Enter Nexus4, a piece of steel, and some velcro.

Technology overkill! I've got an original Motorola Droid pulling the same duty on my setup.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Ringo Star Get posted:

Well tightened everything and that solved most of my troubles! Thanks for the suggestions.

However my Porsche GT2 wheel is acting up. In iRacing, midway into a turn, the wheel will lose FFB and default the steering position back straight in-game, while my wheel is still turned in reality. Thoughts? It does connect/reconnect noise a lot from time to time.

Only thing I can think of is to verify that everything's plugged in as tightly as can be. I've had that issue briefly where my power adapter on my G27 was teetering on the edge of connectivity. Can you recreate the disconnect/reconnect chime when not playing a game, by jiggling cables?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

There's been talk of Driveclub a bit. I know it's not a PC Sim, but as a fresh PS4 owner since christmas, can anyone tell me if it's worth picking up, at all? Sometimes a racer that's not a sperg-caliber sim is nice brain candy.

edit: vvvv thank you. vvvv

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 31, 2015

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Essobie posted:

I have an Ozone. I like it quite a bit. It takes a bit of getting used to, and if you want to do some flight sims as well as sim racing, I recommend a couple of additions: The flight stick and throttle add-on, and the fully articulating keyboard tray (the one that comes with the revolution version of the desk). The basic keyboard tray that comes with the ozone is kind of poo poo... it only rotates.

That combination means you'll be able to swing the keyboard easily out of the way and pop in both a flight stick and a throttle stand (with your HOTAS attached, already of course) and switching from car to cockpit is about a 10 second ordeal.

That said, I really had to talk myself into pulling the trigger on this because it was going to mean giving up my nice Ikea computer desk and expensive office chair full time. If you read the obutto forums you'll see a lot of people go this route, and again, it takes some getting used to. I'd recommend reading stuff on their forums about it if you are thinking about either the ozone or the revolution. I think if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably get the revolution instead and eat the extra cost (which is not a small difference). It has a better 3 monitor solution than the Ozone, has more add on options (articulating table surfaces), and comes with the better keyboard mount (as mentioned above).

There are other premade cockpit solutions out there, but the Ozone was the best bang for the buck from the reviews and such that I looked at.

If you are super handy with PVC and like to paint, drill, etc., there are a few pretty good looking plans available on the net that might be worth a look that you can have for way less money (but quite a bit more time). I think the inside sim racing forums have a DYI section that has a lot of pictures and tips on that route.

This is a perfect post. As an owner of an Ozone myself, I agree with all of these statements %100. I'd also just get a r3volution were I given a do-over, because the addons for the ozone bring it up to close to that cost anyways.

My only issue is that I can't seem to push my G27 down far enough so that the fully articulating keyboard tray moves into place for me to use comfortably.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

GhostDog posted:

iRacing is the one I haven't tried out yet because of the time and money commitment and my inability do deal with the combination of racing pressure and people taking that stuff very very seriously. I'd be eternally afraid of accidentally bumping into someone :(

Is there a sizeable goon community doing some more laid back racing?

There's a gooncar league that runs roughly weekly posted somewhere.

I'm the same way though. I've been on iRacing for like 3 years now and I've run maybe less than 10 actual races because I'm flat out scared of being considered as retarded as half the people I've raced against in those 10 races. In most of those too my heart rate gets going so high at the start I wind up missing a shift or doing something to warrant the title of retard before the first lap is over.

It's also nice to Ghost in some actual races, where you can pretend compete with people without actually messing them up. I've drank some beers and followed Largepotato around a few races and enjoyed myself.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

That's a great looking OP.

Cockpit talk might be worth a couple lines in "other hardware" For the amount of shopping I'd done before committing, I can be quite confident in saying Obutto pits are the best bang for your buck, short of building one yourself. I can potentially put a few lines down talking about them in the next day or so, if you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Cockpits :

Short of constructing your own, the generally accepted price-to-performance choices are from Obutto.

Pictured above is the Ozone, which starts at $364.99 , but include the practically necessary $99.99 Fully Articulating Keyboard Tray , and $119.99 Triple Display Mount , You're looking at around $585.

A similar concept but improvement on stability, aesthetics, and build quality can be found in their R3volution for $799 which includes the articulating keyboard tray, but the $129 Triple Display Mount is still an optional accessory.

• Locked thread