Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Torabi posted:

Isn't rolling starts more of an oval racing thing?

Endurance racing/sports car racing uses it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

holocaust bloopers posted:

This is slightly off topic. I'm curious about the difference in qualifying lap times versus race lap times. Is there a site that has info regarding those?

It depends on what you're talking about, I guess. Are you talking about the actual times themselves and how they compare, or are you looking for "how does the driver drive differently"? And also do you mean in video games, or in real life?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yea race pace in real life.

For F1 at least, Wikipedia has all that information on the individual race pages. For example here is the most recent race. Pole position was about 4 seconds faster than the race time.

It used to be a lot smaller before the rules changed to ban refueling. If you go back to the same race in 2009, the last season before the refueling ban, the race lap is actually faster than pole position.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Let's not leave out the best sim of all, Live For Speed, which is still in development believe it or not.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Yeah where the hell is LFS

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

GhostDog posted:

Care to write a four sentence paragraph about it? :)

Sure, I'll put something together tonight.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

GhostDog posted:

Care to write a four sentence paragraph about it? :)

Here's what I got, thought if Ziploc (or anyone else) has something to add that'll be welcome too.

Live For Speed

https://www.lfs.net/
Developer: Scawen Roberts, Eric Bailey, Victor van Vlaardingen

First released as a demo in 2002 Live for Speed is developed by a three man team independent of a publisher, keeping it both cheap and focused, but sometimes slow to update. The game focuses on online gameplay making it very easy to just pick up and race, though lacks some of the bells and whistles featured in newer titles. The game features a mix of fictional and licensed content, fully supports the Oculus Rift, and has a time-unlimited demo. Because it is still under development the game is not open to adding in community made cars and tracks, though applications can be made to connect to LFS for data manipulation and server administration.

Available on the official site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

GhostDog posted:

Perfect. Well... I'm going to to change the banner to left-justified because MY LAYOUT.

Edit: I thought I had to reiterate how much I appreciate you putting the time in to copy my layout despite getting the banner alignment so terribly wrong ;)

It's obvious now that I look at your post again, whoops. Also please put LFS in the Current Sims on the basis that it's still under development.

• Locked thread