Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GutBomb posted:

I do wish there were more "normal" cars in these sims though. I want to take a non-race trimmed gt86 or rx8 or 240sx out on old spa with realistic physics but I'm probably in the minority there. Spec miata in rfactor 2 is pretty good for that but it's pretty much the only "slow" car I can find.

I'm with you on this one, sorta. I want the best simulation I can get as far as real tracks and driving dynamics go, but I want the vehicles to be "interesting" by which I mean more than just the top X performance cars from Y brands. I want slow but fun cars like the 86. I want fast cars that no one expects to be fast like the SHO, Syclone, Lightning, etc. I want stupid options like the Raptor, Hummer, Transit, etc. I want the ability to do insane things like the LS7 Aveo you could build in Forza 3 (which for some reason was removed in Forza 4, even though its literally a line in a SQLite database and takes up basically no space to make available) and then have a great physics engine accurately simulate me boiling the tires off it and slamming in to a wall at a million miles per hour. Crazy "unlimited performance" stuff like GT's Red Bull cars would also be cool.

Basically if it's a real thing I want it to be as real as possible, but that doesn't mean everything needs to be real things.

For some reason though the racing game world is content to work in two different silos, where stupid fun and realistic simulation of said stupidity rarely cross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GutBomb posted:

The clubsport v2 base is the Xbox one compatible base. Any clubsport rim will work on pc, ps3, and Xbox one with the clubsport v2 base. For ps4 you'll have to get a specific ps4 compatible rim that has not yet been announced.

Yep. Recall the "Next Generation" section of the CSWv2 announcement.

edit: er wait, I didn't read your post entirely. No, Xbone will not work without the specific rim. Same with PS4. The base itself is technically compatible with either, but bullshit licensing makes it stupid.

quote:

And how can we make a product multi-platform compatible if we can only get approval for a license if the product has only the symbols of either one console on it?

We came up with an idea which brings modularity to a whole new level and protects your investment. If you play on PC then just go ahead and purchase the wheel base as it is and you will not be bothered with symbols which might hurt your eye.

But if you want to enjoy the painless simplicity of a console with its great exclusive racing simulations then you will get the option to buy an optional steering wheel which will
add full console compatibility to this base.

tl;dr: Consoles require official licensing, licensing requires logos and buttons, neither will license if other's logo is there. Fanatec does the best they can to bypass the stupidity and attaches the required bits to a removable part.

It's sort of like how Xboxes wouldn't play DVDs without the remote. They were all physically capable of it and all had the software to do it, but the DVD CCA license that made it legal was associated with the remote dongle to cut costs on the main box so the OEM software would refuse to play without the dongle in place. Same here, the CSWv2 and presumably future wheels will be all compatible with the consoles but will only be allowed to work if their specific wheel is mounted.

Here's hoping they at least make it one of the universal bases.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 13, 2014

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

r0ck0 posted:

Uh that is an European car setup, duh.

Continental Europe would disagree. The only Europeans driving on the wrong side are Brits or somewhere that used to be controlled by Brits. Actually that's pretty much true for the entire world, RHD is practically exclusive to places where British influence was strong at the time the decision was made.

I used to think it was more common until I heard Clarkson bitching about some European car not being offered in RHD, then I looked it up and found out that RHD is basically the British Empire's equivalent of America's stupid non-standard safety regulations. There are basically three variants required for a "world car" everyone will be happy with: North America, Commonwealth, and Everywhere Else.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 29, 2014

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CaseFace McGee posted:

My racing seat is on the second floor, and I'm afraid a Buttkicker could be heard through the floor or walls. Does yours do that at all?

I have a buttkicker in my couch directly above my office. I just turned up some music as loud as I could go without the amplifier's "Peak" light coming on (driving the buttkicker with a 100w car stereo amp) and couldn't hear a difference from downstairs whether it was on or off.

Agreed that they're great in a sim cockpit. After installing the first one in our old setup one of my housemates and I sort of got addicted to the things, now there's one in each couch and the new cockpit PC is getting a dedicated sound card to drive a set of smaller transducers with SimVibe.

edit: I also have no notable insulation in the floor/ceiling between. It's Couch>Carpet>Pad>Plywood>Air>Drywall>Air>Me.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 28, 2015

• Locked thread