Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
I built an enclosure for our new Beardie, if that's your thing. 4x2x2 made out of 5 sheets of melamine panels - I made sure to buy sheets with the rough dimensions I wanted, 4ft by 2ft, so I just had to do the minimal amount of cutting. I picked everything up including the perspex for the doors and vinyl flooring for $80-100, put it together over a slow weekend with just some basic tools and rudimentary woodworking skills. Surprisingly simple and better than anything you can pick up for a similar price.

I've got the main light screwed in at the top, just your standard 12 inch UVB floursecent, then in that hole on the right is where the basking lamp comes through just enough provide 105~ on the basking spot but too high for the beardie to touch it. Obviously that stuff you'd need to measure and figure out dependent on enclosure furniture and things like that.

I'll have to take some pictures of his current setup tonight to give you an idea of how it looks with the doors on and lights in, I don't seem to have any. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hey thanks. I'd looked at melamine designs and wasn't sure if they were really durable enough, but the cost and weight would definitely be good. Yours looks much nicer than most of the ones I've seen.

I'd really like to see exactly how you've handled the doors and the basking light. That was one of my main concerns (keeping it far enough away from his face, giving enough heat, not catching things on fire, actually fitting it in there).

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Hey thanks. I'd looked at melamine designs and wasn't sure if they were really durable enough, but the cost and weight would definitely be good. Yours looks much nicer than most of the ones I've seen.

I'd really like to see exactly how you've handled the doors and the basking light. That was one of my main concerns (keeping it far enough away from his face, giving enough heat, not catching things on fire, actually fitting it in there).

They didn't have any W runners, so I had to buy a pair of metal U runners (One side is longer than the other, does that make them a J runner?) and use tiny nails to hammer them to the boards at the top and the bottom. Some glue may have been better there, but it was my first attempt. It looks like this from the side.

_____
| | | <--- Top
- |

| - |
|_|_| <---- Bottom

The doors fit nicely into the little grooves, then I just hooked up a catch (Currently string :v:) on the handles on either side. The doors overlap in the middle and you slide them inwards to open which gives you about 1.5-2 feet of opening which is more than enough, we've never had a problem with it. As for the basking light, I cut a round hole in the top and hung the lamp in there using some pieces of wire coathanger. Melamine doesn't melt or catch fire, so it's safe to have hot stuff on it as long as it isn't touching the actual wood underneath. If you're worried you can also get melamine strips that you can glue/iron to the exposed wood where you cut it. Pictures to explain!

Out lamp had those little holes that were perfect for me to slide those metal things through so that the light hangs nicely. I've got little strips of Melamine leftover that I can put under them if I need to raise the lamp up.

Here's the UVB light on the left.

And Riker's Beard hiding out under his log. :3:

Cthulhuite fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 21, 2014

BCBUDDHA
Jul 19, 2014
Some pics of my recent adventure in to dart frogs, I chose dendrobates auratus super blue phenotype due to local availability and color. I work in the plant growing industry and was going to build something like this is my office. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yux-TskkreI

unfortunately some medical news means i'll be taking a bit of medical leave, so i donated them to a local reptile zoo/rescue.

Honestly a great hobby, the fruitfly cultures are pretty easy to make, your main costs after blowing hundreds on exotic plants for the viviarium is potato flakes and containers to make more flightless fruitflies.

the aquarium in the picture was a holding take for bromeliads and the frogs while i build the larger enclosure

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
So I've had my Tokay for a little over a year now and today I caught him shedding for the first time ever. Geckos for the most part are pretty secretive about it and the only other one I ever catch is the Leopard Gecko cuz she just doesn't care at all and I usually have to help her get the skin off her toes and sometimes her nose anyway.

Rest of the photos here: http://imgur.com/a/xbR9d

Also took a couple very quick short videos since he would eat chunks, get annoyed that I was watching him and then wait for me to walk away to continue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st_ZaQsZXcM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06x8pcv34r0

Bobbaganoosh
Jun 23, 2004

...kinda catchy...
Superb custom cage you've built, Cthulhuite! Being the creator of many poorly thought-out, short-lived cages, I respect those that can bang out a well-crafted custom cage.

Today I witnessed a tale of life and death on the wild frontier. A riveting tale of suspense. Violent hissing. And extreme overacting.

His next of kin have been notified that he died, got better, died again, got better again, and huffed and puffed out on his merry way.

Cause of death #1 was me touching his tail. Cause of death #2 was him thinking I might touch him again. Or maybe I took his picture too hard.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You are obviously a murderer. How dare you.

I found a tiny tiny tiny puget sound garter in my yard this morning but I couldn't get a single picture worth saving because it's too dark out. I'm kinda surprised to see one right here since the nearest water is a good few miles away.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Trials with the Breaking Bad baby snakes continue.

Tuco, aptly named, is a crazy feeder and eats fuzzy mice, as many as we offer him, whenever we offer him. He ate before his first shed.

Saul Goodman likes small fuzzy mice.

Jesse wants pinkie rats.

Heisenberg has eaten 1 pinkie rat and refused others.

And Tio Hector has yet to eat. I've offered him in his cage, in a feed box, over day, over night. Pinkie rats, fuzzy rats, alive and dead, fuzzy mice, pinkie mice, all scented with rats gerbils, or just as mice. Nothing. Last idea, before braining, is to use the African Soft Furred juvies I got ($20 for four small ones) as scenters and try it all over again.

Any ideas how to get this little fucker to eat before I start assist feeding?

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Cowslips Warren posted:

Tuco, aptly named, is a crazy feeder and eats fuzzy mice, as many as we offer him, whenever we offer him. He ate before his first shed.

Jesse wants pinkie rats.

And Tio Hector has yet to eat. I've offered him in his cage, in a feed box, over day, over night. Pinkie rats, fuzzy rats, alive and dead, fuzzy mice, pinkie mice, all scented with rats gerbils, or just as mice. Nothing. Last idea, before braining, is to use the African Soft Furred juvies I got ($20 for four small ones) as scenters and try it all over again.

Try scenting with chicken, tuna, or feeding lizards.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Cowslips Warren posted:

Jesse wants pinkie rats.

Try braining before buying the soft furs. Save some hassle and money.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Cowslips Warren posted:

Be patient with them. Assist feeding is an absolute last resort. And for me at least, gerbils and ASFs are the second-to-last resort, because they're expensive and/or hard for me to find and I don't want to breed them. (My colony of rats is annoying enough.) You'll go crazy if you let a bunch of BP hatchlings dictate their own diet, anyway.

You might actually be confusing them with too much scent variety. I've noticed with mine that if I switch prey (live to frozen, mice to rats, even trying a new size or source) that my pickier or younger snakes might refuse on the first few tries before they resume regular feeding. It seems like a new scent throws some of them off.

I've also read that some people have had better luck with feeding by placing live rodents in their reptile room for a while before feeding. The idea is that the snakes catch the scent and have time to build up anticipation, instead of just suddenly having prey jammed in their faces.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I'd caution anyone interested in preparing reptiles and (especially) amphibians to do their homework first - while a number of species are only venomous and not poisonous, some (notably Dentrobatidae but far from restricted to that family) are both. While consultation with a licensed herpetologist is safest, among the more commonly seen families and subfamilites (Crotalinae, Crocodiliae, etc.) you're probably safe eating first and asking questions later as long as you've properly removed any venom glands.

Given the tendency to describe reptilian meat as reminiscent of chicken, I'd tend toward lighter sauces and moist cooking methods. A wide array of spices would likely be appropriate, but centuries of classical French cooking indicate garlic is a solid starting point. Otherwise for amphibians you could go with a Cantonese approach and make congee, although I'm more a fan of the Sichuan hot pot approach with chili oil and Sichuan peppercorns.

Of course, deep frying is always an option and the one used most in the Southern US when dealing with denizens of the Everglades. Almost any protein is served well with a good dip in hot oil, and I can only imagine the majority of reptiles and amphibians would be in the same boat.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

My friend has had a baby ball python (his second) for about a month now and it still hasn't eaten for him. He's trying twice a week, using mice pinkies. He's tried wiggling the pinkies, scenting them in a gerbils bedding, and braining. The snake was supposedly eating pinkies at the pet shop just fine.

A friend of his has suggested live, which obviously isn't something he wants for a number of reasons. Is there any sort of inside knowledge or tips to help him? His first python ate right away with no problem with the same heating and setup etc so we're stumped (and my snake knowledge is crap anyway).

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Fraction posted:

My friend has had a baby ball python (his second) for about a month now and it still hasn't eaten for him. He's trying twice a week, using mice pinkies. He's tried wiggling the pinkies, scenting them in a gerbils bedding, and braining. The snake was supposedly eating pinkies at the pet shop just fine.

A friend of his has suggested live, which obviously isn't something he wants for a number of reasons. Is there any sort of inside knowledge or tips to help him? His first python ate right away with no problem with the same heating and setup etc so we're stumped (and my snake knowledge is crap anyway).
They are nocturnal ambush predators so try feeding at night with the room very quiet. Ensure the mouse at or close to 100 degrees F. Thaw near enough that the snake can smell it, that can help put it into the mood to eat. Move it around inside the enclosure to really get the scent in the air - but don't let any excess water drip onto the substrate. Then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_MdBlknGqs

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
In preparation for my ~fingers crossed~ upcoming baby Solomon Island Ground Boas, I got a frog to help with scenting. It's a pixie frog and this morning I woke up and it was staring at me. I think it was watching me sleep.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

-edit

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 29, 2014

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013

Christoff posted:

Hey guys, first time caller

Found this guy in the streets downtown. Girlfriend literally almost stepped on him. He was cold not skiddish and quite slow/drunk acting. Didn't mind me holding him or picking him up. Really long tail. I can only assume he was someone's pet

Got him in the cardboard box with a lamp for heat. It's late so stores are closed. Put some lettuce, water, and a boysenberry in there.

We're considering keeping him but might throw him on Craigslist

So uh what do I do

Not sure where you live, but that looks like a wild (not escaped pet) alligator lizard.
Find out if there is a nature or wildlife center (run by a local govt agency, not private) and see what they say.
If you're in SoCal I can give you resources.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

It's gas lamp area SD so I really doubt he's wild. He was about to cruise into the street and get ran over! But yeah who knows

Looking at pictures it's definitely an alligator lizard

Ok doing some reading they're quite common in this area. But I don't see them lasting long around here especially with the feral cats.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 22, 2014

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
Fyi when he's warmed up watch it, they love to latch onto the nearest potential threat and fling poo poo everywhere when angered or scared. No risk of an open wound, but god drat does that smell stick around.

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013
Oh, yeah. I don't mean wild like living in the wilderness... Alligator lizards are tremendously adaptable to urban areas, they just don't make great pets.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah, probably just find a little less urban of an area and let him go. Thanks!

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I'd let him go where you found him, just let him warm up a bit first so he's good to go. I know with snakes, relocations tend to have high mortality rates, and this is really late in the year for him to have to find a new territory and so on. If he's survived this long against cats, then there's a population that's managing. It might not be the best habitat, but if you release him anywhere else, winter will probably kill him.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

San Diego doesn't have winter. He'll be fine.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I interpreted SD as South Dakota, which had me absolutely stumped as to why there was a lizard out, and how alligator lizards might be that far north and east, but didn't bother to think twice beyond that.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Hey herp goons. After 4 years of living on a boat, I'm finally moving into a real house and it turns out my girlfriend is super cool with the idea of setting up a vivarium. I kept lizards in the 90's when I lived at home and boy has the market/hobby changed since then. I'm astounded that you can keep lizards on paste food alone, everything was dusted/gut-loaded live food when I were a lad. I'm amazed at the species that are now almost commonplace, not to mention the prices. I guess we have the internet to thank for that.

My pipe dream back in the day was always Gold Dust Day Geckos, which were essentially impossible for me to source, and three times the price they are now; So those are a strong contender. Though some of the Crested Geckos you guys are posting are gorgeous and they seem pretty chill and interactive, which is a big plus.

My current plan is to build a nice tall jungle viv and get it established for around 3-6 months with plants and natural leaf litter w/springtails and such. I'm into my electronics and fabrication, so I'd love to have a go at automated misting and PID temp / humidity control. Then once I'm happy I can decide on what is going in there.

Does anyone have any good resources for building 'live' vivariums? Plans, designs, tutorials, materials sourcing? I'm in the UK, if that helps.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 25, 2014

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.
Decided to get my first snake. Still in the "lets make his/her first home pretty" phase but hey you gotta start somewhere.

Guestion: which one is easier for a beginner? Corn or hognose?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

beyonder posted:

Decided to get my first snake. Still in the "lets make his/her first home pretty" phase but hey you gotta start somewhere.

Both are very easy and suitable for beginners. Pick the one you like the most. That's about it honestly.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

beyonder posted:

Hognose are venomous, though it is a very mild venom and you probably won't be hurt except for some itching or mild swelling. Their care is easy but corns are crazy harmless. Get a corn.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

beyonder posted:

Go with a cornsnake. Hognoses can be sometimes difficult eaters as younglings, and while otherwise easy to care for, them not eating for three months randomly kind of makes you feel like you're doing something wrong and stuff.

There's also the venomous thing that was mentioned, but hoggies pretty much only bite as a last resort, or if your hands smell like food. They do have a defense this g where they'll flare, hiss and smack their head at you like they're striking, but UT's a closes mouth strike. I've had my hognose for over a year and I admit it, I still flinch sometimes when I go to get him and he starts doing his fussy bullshit.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

beyonder posted:

Corns are probably better. They tend to eat more reliably, be tame, and have simple care requirements. They also come in a ton of colors. That said, hoggies are super cute. Either snake is a good beginner snake. :)

I may be a bit biased, but my bullsnake is my favorite of what I would consider my starter snakes. They can get pretty big though.

Silver Nitrate fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 28, 2014

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Hognoses are venomous, but that's sort of like saying not to stand near palm trees because people get killed by coconuts every year. While technically true, bites are always accidental and aren't medically significant unless you have an allergy, maybe. We didn't even know they were venomous until relatively recently. So, I mean, it's true, but as far as a reason not to get a snake, it's not really important or something to worry about - the other reasons against a hognose are much more important.

Big Centipede really says it best - if you get a snake, you're going to have it for several years at the least (unless it refuses to eat and dies early on or something), so pick the one that you'd like most.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I realize it's a super mild reaction, but it's just not something I can get on board with recommending. To use your own thing, you may not get killed by a coconut but man does it suck to be the guy who does.

And come on, bites aren't accidental. Hoggies are cool little guys but when they bite they mean to do it. Unless I'm totally misunderstanding you.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I should post more pictures. Here are my Dumeril's ground boas.

This is Doris. She is a super calm snake. I can plop her on my lap and she will just hang out there while I read. I actually posed her for this picture. :P

This is Rodger. He is Doris' future mate. He's got a few years of growing to do first.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I realize it's a super mild reaction, but it's just not something I can get on board with recommending. To use your own thing, you may not get killed by a coconut but man does it suck to be the guy who does.

And come on, bites aren't accidental. Hoggies are cool little guys but when they bite they mean to do it. Unless I'm totally misunderstanding you.

As someone that has been bitten pretty badly by a large female hog, I purposely didn't mention their venom because it's no big deal. Their teeth are worse than their venom.

A hog is perfectly suitable for a first snake.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Silver Nitrate posted:

I should post more pictures. Here are my Dumeril's ground boas.

This is Doris. She is a super calm snake. I can plop her on my lap and she will just hang out there while I read. I actually posed her for this picture. :P

This is Rodger. He is Doris' future mate. He's got a few years of growing to do first.

Dums are such beautiful boas.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Big Centipede posted:

As someone that has been bitten pretty badly by a large female hog, I purposely didn't mention their venom because it's no big deal. Their teeth are worse than their venom.

A hog is perfectly suitable for a first snake.

I really don't care how many times you say this. I'm going to keep disagreeing that they're not really a first time snake because if you do have that 1% chance of allergic reaction, man, would not recommend.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I really don't care how many times you say this. I'm going to keep disagreeing that they're not really a first time snake because if you do have that 1% chance of allergic reaction, man, would not recommend.

Fair enough.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Corns were easier than my hoggie. Sometimes Alice won't eat but even my gravid corns went crazy for mice any time I offered.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I put my Candoia carinata paulsonis together for a picture and they stole my hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Silver Nitrate posted:

I put my Candoia carinata paulsonis together for a picture and they stole my hook.

Very cool. Not enough people with candoia out there. Have you bred them?

• Locked thread