Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
her0n
Sep 13, 2006

hey look the world is covered in snail slime

hypnotoad posted:

I (and most everybody else in this thread) use shredded aspen for snakes. I love it, it lets my snakes burrow, and I also think it smells good. :3:

I use Aubiose which is very similar to Aspen. It's a Horse bedding and doesn't contain any ingredients that are harmful to snakes. Very cheap too, less than £10 for a GIANT bale :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Is there any reason firebelly toads didn't make the easy beginner pet list?

They're hilarious, active, and like being kept in groups. Most pet stores seem to keep them terrestrial with a water dish, but they really like spending all their time in the water. In my opinion an aquatic setup is easier to clean, and makes a nicer display, too.

These are more cast-offs, they were given to me right before I started teaching a summer class for kids about animals. Some of the kids would spend the entire 45 minute class just staring at the frogs.

The kids could tell the three frogs apart. At feeding time I would throw a few dozen crickets in the tank, and the kids would each pick a frog to cheer for and count how many crickets it ate. It was like a tiny, bizarre gladiator match.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Took some more pictures of some of my critters yesterday/today that needed some update. And uploaded some other random ones I had.

Have to share this picture of my favorite girl garg:

Cookie just has such a great personality, eats good, and I love her short and wide bulldog-like head. She's also a good layer, and had roughly 8 offspring last year. Hoping for another successful season with her this year. :3:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Greycious posted:

Took some more pictures of some of my critters yesterday/today that needed some update. And uploaded some other random ones I had.

Cookie just has such a great personality, eats good, and I love her short and wide bulldog-like head. She's also a good layer, and had roughly 8 offspring last year. Hoping for another successful season with her this year. :3:

I didn't know they could smile :3:

I love the coloration and texture of her skin, is it as pebbly to touch as it looks? That's a very nice photo, by the way.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

But shakin' its all I know!

Greycious posted:

I'm not really into gargs, but drat that is one adorable gargoyle grin. :3:

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Scary Ned posted:

Is there any reason firebelly toads didn't make the easy beginner pet list?

They're hilarious, active, and like being kept in groups. Most pet stores seem to keep them terrestrial with a water dish, but they really like spending all their time in the water. In my opinion an aquatic setup is easier to clean, and makes a nicer display, too.

These are more cast-offs, they were given to me right before I started teaching a summer class for kids about animals. Some of the kids would spend the entire 45 minute class just staring at the frogs.

The kids could tell the three frogs apart. At feeding time I would throw a few dozen crickets in the tank, and the kids would each pick a frog to cheer for and count how many crickets it ate. It was like a tiny, bizarre gladiator match.

I love firebellies, but I didn't include them because they're nearly all WC and full of parasites. They are pretty hardy though, and are a lot of fun to keep.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I have an 8 year old FBT who shows few signs of slowing down. His cagemate got a nasty eye infection a few years ago that led to me euthanizing him, but the other guy is still going strong. FBTs are awesome (though I wish I had known back then about the issues regarding wild caught animals, etc.)

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Bash Ironfist posted:

I didn't know they could smile :3:

I love the coloration and texture of her skin, is it as pebbly to touch as it looks? That's a very nice photo, by the way.

I'd say they aren't quite as soft as cresties. You definitely feel more of the texture of their scales. Their head knobs are very bumpy and hard, and remind me of a dinosaur.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.

Scary Ned posted:

Rescue herps need love too! Easy beginner species can be hardy enough to survive years of poor husbandry. This is Ramses von Niblick the Third Kerplunk, Kerplunk, Whoops, Where's My Thribble? at 7 years old, a day after starting intense rehydration therapy:

He had chunks of dead skin the size of peas under his eyelids, covering his eyes, and had been that way for a couple of years before I got him. It took a week to work them loose, and after a year and a half he is still totally blind.

It took him a while to learn to eat out of a bowl, and he gets lost in anything bigger than a ten gallon tank. He lost most of his toes to retained shed skin cutting off the circulation and can't climb, so his tank is pretty bare. He eats anything though, and he can feel people walking near his tank and comes running out to beg.

Oh my god that first picture is so pathetic and even though he's blind his eyes are so pretty! Also, his name is the best.

Where did he come from? I know it happens all the time but it still boggles my mind when I see evidence that people keep animals in near-death conditions and think everything is fine :(

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
For seven years, too! :aaa:

I'm glad he's doing well, and I hope the person who abused him got a good talking to. :mad:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Oh that is so sad I want to hug my geckos now (I do not think they want to be hugged)

How do you even gently caress up leopard gecko care? Under the tank heater, moist hide, dry hide, calcium supplement, and bugs. I am a complete newb to geckos and mine are fat and angry and growing a million miles an hour. One of mine came dehydrated and skinny and with a freshly dropped tail and has still doubled in size in like a month, and they require like no effort. It's like you'd have to actively try to get one in a state as bad as that.

Then again, when I got mine, I did have someone tell me that they didn't need water. Because they are desert animals and get all of their required moisture from their food. :downs:

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Cassiope posted:

Where did he come from? I know it happens all the time but it still boggles my mind when I see evidence that people keep animals in near-death conditions and think everything is fine :(

I was cruising the free section of craigslist every 5 minutes, hoping to score a free washing machine, and an ad popped up for a sick gecko that wouldn't eat and was terribly inconvenient because people were moving. I did a quick google search, learned how to make gecko slurry, and called. When I picked him up they had him on calci-sand with plastic plants instead of hides, and he looked like a dead stick. They said he had been healthy but then stopped eating well a couple of years ago, and their vet suggested they try different foods and substrates and nothing had helped. He didn't even have a name, but it's pretty obvious he had been handled a lot at some point.

I really don't understand how other people approach pet care. My first step is always to go online and find a forum full of whatever-enthusiasts, then read until I really understand the best way to care for my whatever. Ramses was already well on his way from mummified to fat and sassy by the time I got him to the vet, and there was never anything actually wrong with him aside from bad husbandry.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Wow I think I am in need of gecko slurry. I dont know if they are past that and in dying mode but, tails are pretty much skin and bones (they look like http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2514/3833652711_7892c334ea.jpg )

Buuutt.. those ingredients...ugh >_> Can I somehow get an alternative? Like another type of canned food that won't require a vet and I dont want to go out and buy thistle/acidophilis and just...use 2 pills. Or blend mealworms. : | Everything else looks easy enough to get...

Suggestions? The disclaimer also says to not use it for fattening up but.... looks like it works well..?

Malalol fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 25, 2012

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
I used a can'o'mealworms because I definitely couldn't stomach putting live ones in the blender. I skipped the acidopholus and milk thistle. For the prescription food you can try calling or visiting a vet's office and asking nicely, or substitute a grain-free high-protein cat food. I kept dabbing it on Ramses's nose and lips and he would like a tiny bit off. I also soaked him in warm unflavored pedialyte several times a day which helped get him hydrated.

Edit: The gecko slurry got him eating, waxworms made him fat. There is no way to adequately describe my delight when he gobbled that first worm.

Shy Retirer
Sep 9, 2011

Malalol posted:

Wow I think I am in need of gecko slurry. I dont know if they are past that and in dying mode but, tails are pretty much skin and bones (they look like http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2514/3833652711_7892c334ea.jpg )

Buuutt.. those ingredients...ugh >_> Can I somehow get an alternative? Like another type of canned food that won't require a vet and I dont want to go out and buy thistle/acidophilis and just...use 2 pills. Or blend mealworms. : | Everything else looks easy enough to get...

Suggestions? The disclaimer also says to not use it for fattening up but.... looks like it works well..?

Oh, poor things. Have you tried them on different kinds of food? Crickets or waxworms instead of mealworms? (waxworms shouldn't really be their main source of food, but if they're that skinny then it's worth trying, my gecko can't get enough of them!) Are you offering live food or canned food? My gecko isn't interested in anything that isn't moving. Is it warm enough in the tank? Are there ary signs of impaction?

If you've covered all these things, then slurry is the next thing to try. Surely it's worth the effort and cost to try and save their lives? Getting them to a vet would probably be a good idea too.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Could one of you guys write up a really quick crested gecko caresheet (temps, humidity, enclosure size, how many can be house together, etc.) so we have all the info on one place?

My sister is currently living in an apartment that doesn't allow furry animals, but would like a pet a little more interactive than fish. She did a little bit of research on her own but is asking me for advice because a lot of the stuff she read is often conflicting, like whether they need UVB or not.

Thanks in advance!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
^^I wrote one on the very first page. :colbert:

Captain Foxy posted:

I own seven Crested Geckos currently, and am beginning to develop breeding goals and stock for eventual gecko BYB'ing. :3:

Cresteds are among the easiest reptiles to keep, and I would highly recommend them for all ranges of keepers, from novice to advanced, because though their care is minimal, they're brightly colored and easily handleable, so they make a no-fuss gorgeous display animal as well as a docile pet.

The best diet for them is the Repashy CGD (crested gecko diet) which you can order online, or you can pick up the T-Rex CGD from specialty pet stores. I supplement with dusted/gut-loaded crickets, dubia roaches or waxworms once or twice a week. Be careful to not dust your feeders with a supplement containing D3 calcium, as the Repashy already has a lot in it and you don't want to overload them!

For housing, I keep mine in 18x24 ZooMed cubes, or in 20L tanks that I turn vertical to give them more climbing space, as they are arboreal and need height versus width or depth. A 20g is sufficient for an adult for the lifespan, babies should be housed in smaller containers like sterilite bins or a 5g or 10g, to ensure they're feeding and pooping. Heating is best provided by a UTH on the back or sides of the tank, not the bottom. Cresties can tolerate drops to 50F, so if your house stays relatively warm you may not even need a heat source! As long as they have a gradient of 60-80F, they're fine, but above 80F is dangerous. It's debated as to whether or not they require UVB; being nocturnal, they probably do not need it, and most breeders/hobbyists don't keep them on UVB and have great, healthy animals, so it's probably not necessary. Just to be on the safe side, though, I periodically take them out in the sun for a few minutes to a half hour at a time. Even if it's cloudy, the exposure to UVB is better from natural sunlight than from a strip light. :science:

Mist them once or twice a day, and offer a water dish for in between misting. If you have a live potted plant or planted viv, your geckos will appreciate the added humidity and natural surroundings. Good, non-killable plants include pothos, dwarf ficus, birds nest fern, etc. If getting your plants from Home Depot or Lowe's, etc, be sure to wash them thoroughly before planting or putting them in the enclosure. You can also use fake plants from Micheals or etc, but personally, I think a planted or potted viv is lovely to look at, and I think it's less stressful and more healthy for the geckos to be in surroundings that mimic their natural home. I often find mine asleep in their ferns, just like they're supposed to in the wild. :3:

They will drop their tails if stressed, pulled too hard or dropped, and unlike other gecko species, the tail won't regenerate. Because most adult cresties in the wild lack tails, it's suspected that they actually evolved to drop their tails, so a tailless crestie is no less healthy than a regular one, though they are less desired and usually sell for less.

Morphs vary hugely in this species and are complex and difficult to regulate. Here, have a link to a guide:http://www.forums.repashy.com/tutorials/11066-crested-gecko-morph-guide.html

Some crappy iPhone pics of my collection (I'm focusing primarily on high contrast pinners and yellow phantoms or brindle):

And I'm expecting to pair my adult yellow gal with this handsome fella by the end of the month, for my first clutch! :dance:

Females can be housed together as long as there is 20g per gecko, males will fight. Humidity can and should drop below 50% daily, so only mist once or twice a day depending on your climate, and they can tolerate ranges from 50-80F, so they don't generally need extra heating and can live at room temps, although anything above 80 and below 50 would be bad.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 25, 2012

Cultured Snail
Sep 19, 2006
tasteful
If you want a short version:

Crested gecko: Arboreal, like to climb and hide in foliage. Enclosures with lots of foliage and climbing branches are a plus. Paper towel substrate can be great for a beginner; planted tanks can look nicer if you end up stepping up your game.

Temps: 70-82 F, deal fine with overnight drops of ~65. Lower temps can really slow feeding responses.
Humidity: Cycle of 90% at night after misting, down to 50-60% daytime. Offer a water dish as well.
Cage size: Adult - 20 gallons tall or larger. Smaller enclosures work for smaller geckos. Recommend housing alone. Even females can fight. I had 2 females in a 55 gallon with tons of hiding spots and they went to town on each other overnight.
Food: Repashy Superfood fresh every other night, with crickets/roaches/etc. 1x weekly or every other week. Be wary of "pellet" type foods or "orange cube" type foods. Avoid baby food. Blended fruit treats with organic papaya, mango, berries once or twice a month are generally enjoyed.
UVB: Not necessary in my experience, with above diet

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Before you put animals together remember you are doing it because you want to, not because it is better for them. Make sure you do it right. they need a large amount of space and ample hiding spots.

The key for housing multiple cresteds is size of the animal and size of the tank. You can (not necessarily should) house multiple male or females together. The most important factor in preventing fighting is to monitor weight. The geckos should not be more than 1 or 2 grams apart in weight. If there is a disparity greater than this there will be bullying and you will have an unhappy and unhealthy gecko(s).

Cultured Snail
Sep 19, 2006
tasteful

nesbit37 posted:

Before you put animals together remember you are doing it because you want to, not because it is better for them. Make sure you do it right. they need a large amount of space and ample hiding spots.

The key for housing multiple cresteds is size of the animal and size of the tank. You can (not necessarily should) house multiple male or females together. The most important factor in preventing fighting is to monitor weight. The geckos should not be more than 1 or 2 grams apart in weight. If there is a disparity greater than this there will be bullying and you will have an unhappy and unhealthy gecko(s).
I second this. Even having same-sized geckos (I was very particular about making sure they were the same weight within 1 gram before combining them) does not guarantee they will get along. Woke up to 2 lady geckos with bite marks all over their heads and tails :(

For beginners I really recommend especially going slow and just getting one gecko, and if you get a second, a quarantine period is very much recommended, so having 2 tanks on hand is a good idea anyway.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!

Shy Retirer posted:

Oh, poor things. Have you tried them on different kinds of food? Crickets or waxworms instead of mealworms? (waxworms shouldn't really be their main source of food, but if they're that skinny then it's worth trying, my gecko can't get enough of them!) Are you offering live food or canned food? My gecko isn't interested in anything that isn't moving. Is it warm enough in the tank? Are there ary signs of impaction?

If you've covered all these things, then slurry is the next thing to try. Surely it's worth the effort and cost to try and save their lives? Getting them to a vet would probably be a good idea too.

They get Cricks, mealworms, and i think folks have tried popping waxworms into them. I am not sure if theres impaction, ill check next time but theyve looked like this for weeeeeeks.. Warm enough in the day, miiiiiight be too cold at night not sure.
I dont have a lot of money to spend, especially going to the vet for food and definitely not for seeing mayb 3-5 geckos. I can pick up the thistle and acido if I must. I dont really want to say whose geckos these are but people can probabky guess sigh.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Are they actually eating the mealworms and crickets and still look like that? Or are they being offered food and refusing to eat? The slurry works well as an appetite stimulant and a way to get calories into an animal that is not eating at all. If you're low on funds I would skip the supplemental ingredients, I don't think the recipe I used even included acidophilus or thistle.

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone know how chinese water dragon's make as beginner pets? (physignathus cocincinus)

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I live in the Portland, Oregon vicinity. This past weekend, there was a reptile expo in Wilsonville, one that happens on a semi-annual basis. I've been to a few of them (this time last year, I posted pictures in the previous herp thread of the normal and pastel ball pythons I picked up at one, I can post fresh pictures of them later), this past one was kind of lame. There was more stuff than reptiles available, and to my chagrin, not very many turtles. I was in the market to pick up a turtle, because my son was talking about how cool it would be to have a turtle. The show this past summer was just swamped with baby turtles of all sorts, in buckets and bins all over. This year, all I saw were the tiny assed loggerheads that spent most of their time in the water, maybe a handful of northeastern boxes that seemed like they may've been overpriced, and one young sulcata that was probably reasonably priced for its size but I still didn't want to pay about $250 for it.

If anyone can advise me of a good turtle breeder they know in my vicinity, I'd appreciate it if you could make me some recommendations. I'm not a fan of Petsmart or Petco, as they overcharge for unhealthy, heavily stressed herps any time I look in their store.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Scary Ned posted:

Are they actually eating the mealworms and crickets and still look like that? Or are they being offered food and refusing to eat? The slurry works well as an appetite stimulant and a way to get calories into an animal that is not eating at all. If you're low on funds I would skip the supplemental ingredients, I don't think the recipe I used even included acidophilus or thistle.

I don't actually know specifics because I dont take care of them. Ive seen one of them go for a tiny cricket some time ago, and I assumed they were eating a little bit because they are still alive. And there is poop. One did die in the past month. How long can they even go looking like that? I figure that this recipe (with some omissions/substitutes) better than nothing...)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

5er posted:

I live in the Portland, Oregon vicinity. This past weekend, there was a reptile expo in Wilsonville, one that happens on a semi-annual basis. I've been to a few of them (this time last year, I posted pictures in the previous herp thread of the normal and pastel ball pythons I picked up at one, I can post fresh pictures of them later), this past one was kind of lame. There was more stuff than reptiles available, and to my chagrin, not very many turtles. I was in the market to pick up a turtle, because my son was talking about how cool it would be to have a turtle. The show this past summer was just swamped with baby turtles of all sorts, in buckets and bins all over. This year, all I saw were the tiny assed loggerheads that spent most of their time in the water, maybe a handful of northeastern boxes that seemed like they may've been overpriced, and one young sulcata that was probably reasonably priced for its size but I still didn't want to pay about $250 for it.

If anyone can advise me of a good turtle breeder they know in my vicinity, I'd appreciate it if you could make me some recommendations. I'm not a fan of Petsmart or Petco, as they overcharge for unhealthy, heavily stressed herps any time I look in their store.

Avoid sulcatas. They get huge, are big diggers (they can tunnel far deeper than you'd think, and will knock down brick walls), and honestly are pretty dull in color. I recommend leopard tortoises over them any day, and that isn't just because we breed them (just got another clutch laid last week or so too). Russians are a safe bet too, if you can get a captive bred one, and they stay a lot smaller than a leopard, but aren't as colorful as most can get.

Box turtles are pretty good too, but for the price you can get a leopard or Russian, sometimes one of each. Our first turtle ever was a box, but this was over 20 years ago.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Malalol posted:

I don't actually know specifics because I dont take care of them. Ive seen one of them go for a tiny cricket some time ago, and I assumed they were eating a little bit because they are still alive. And there is poop. One did die in the past month. How long can they even go looking like that? I figure that this recipe (with some omissions/substitutes) better than nothing...)

It would probably help if someone was offering them food on forceps and recording how much they actually ingested. I'm not sure how much you can do without actively working on getting food into them, leaving them a dish of slurry may not be enough.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

her0n posted:

I use Aubiose which is very similar to Aspen. It's a Horse bedding and doesn't contain any ingredients that are harmful to snakes. Very cheap too, less than £10 for a GIANT bale :D

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question...

When you use this bedding, do you transfer your snakes to a substrate-free tank when feeding them? I can't imagine ingesting any type of bedding is good for them, but if this doesn't have harmful ingredients, then it's probably better than aspen.

(I gave my sister my 10 gallon over x-mas, and am trying to decide whether or not to buy another separate feeding tank for my BP)

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper

5er posted:

Have you been to House of Reptiles in Tigard? They are one of the few shops that sells animals and does a great job of it. As a bonus, it is better than going to the zoo. They always have several species of turtles and torts available and they carry mostly all captive bred animals. They are priced as a retail store would be expected but you get what you pay for and most of their animals come from carefully sourced local hobbyists.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

hyperhazard posted:

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question...

When you use this bedding, do you transfer your snakes to a substrate-free tank when feeding them? I can't imagine ingesting any type of bedding is good for them, but if this doesn't have harmful ingredients, then it's probably better than aspen.

(I gave my sister my 10 gallon over x-mas, and am trying to decide whether or not to buy another separate feeding tank for my BP)

Any wood is a harmful substance in a snake's belly. Also, feeding them outside of the cage is said to make them less likely to bite because they associated the cage with food. My snake goes into a paper grocery bag with chip clips at the top to eat. He has a habit of making huge watery poops immediately after he eats, so I just dump him back into the cage when he's done and throw the bag away each time.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Pardalis posted:

Have you been to House of Reptiles in Tigard? They are one of the few shops that sells animals and does a great job of it. As a bonus, it is better than going to the zoo. They always have several species of turtles and torts available and they carry mostly all captive bred animals. They are priced as a retail store would be expected but you get what you pay for and most of their animals come from carefully sourced local hobbyists.

Perfect, thank you. I was told about this place a while back now that I think of it.

I also appreciate the 'avoid sulcatas' advice, Cowslip's Warren. I had already arrived at that decision just on reading a few care sheets.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

lwoodio posted:

Any wood is a harmful substance in a snake's belly. Also, feeding them outside of the cage is said to make them less likely to bite because they associated the cage with food. My snake goes into a paper grocery bag with chip clips at the top to eat. He has a habit of making huge watery poops immediately after he eats, so I just dump him back into the cage when he's done and throw the bag away each time.

If feeding in the cage makes them associate the cage with food, wouldn't removing them to feed make them associate NOT being in the cage with food?

I've been keeping snakes for about 20 years now, and I've never seen any evidence of this. I almost always feed in the cage, and I use almost exclusively coconut coir. If the rodent is sopping wet or something, I feed outside the cage just to prevent it getting caked with substrate, but otherwise, do you really think an animal capable of digesting bones, fur, and teeth is going to croak over a tiny bit of wood?

Nearly all impactions stem from the animal being kept improperly, particularly if they're dehydrated.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

lwoodio posted:

Thanks, I'll try that. He's a messy eater, so it'll probably help to be able to dispose of the entire mess at once, without cleaning another tank.

He's never struck at me so far, but he knows that when the microwave goes on, it's time for food. :)

(Heating the water for the rat, not the rat itself)

edit: drat, varying opinions.

Big Centipede posted:

coconut coir
This makes me feel a lot better. I stopped by Petco today to pick up stuff for my dog and noticed that they were keeping the pythons in a brown bedding. I was worried it was straight dirt. Doy. :doh:

hyperhazard fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 26, 2012

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

hyperhazard posted:

Thanks, I'll try that. He's a messy eater, so it'll probably help to be able to dispose of the entire mess at once, without cleaning another tank.

He's never struck at me so far, but he knows that when the microwave goes on, it's time for food. :)

edit: drat, varying opinions.

There is certainly no harm in feeding outside the cage, I'm just pointing out that its not completely necessary.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Why are you microwaving the rat? I've always been told to avoid doing that since you can cook parts of it or get parts too hot or whatever.

I feed outside the tank 99% of the time because I'm relatively sure they would try to oreo dunk the mouse in their water.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Big Centipede posted:

If feeding in the cage makes them associate the cage with food, wouldn't removing them to feed make them associate NOT being in the cage with food?

I've had ball pythons for the past 14 years, and I've always fed outside the cage. I've never had a problem handling them outside the cage, or reaching in at them inside. They only ever adopt an aggressive posture where you know they're lit and ready for business when I put them in the typical boxes I use for kill zones. My pythons have consistently seemed to know what's up with going into those boxes, because the stimulus is always the same- get put in box, prey gets delivered, kill, eat, then get dropped back in cage later.

If opening the cage and being pulled out of it for handling, for cage changing occurs more often than feeding does- which is a really easy thing to satisfy with animals that eat once every other week or once a month- the stimulus will be too broken up and irregular for them to associate just the cage opening, just the handling and removal, with 'hunt mentality time'.

I would think that it's possible that in-cage feeding can still result in a snake that isn't aggressive every time the cage is opened, if the cage is opened more for handling and less for feeding. Reptiles are creatures that seem to me to really appreciate the nuances of ritual. If an infrequently handled snake is cage-fed more often than the cage is being opened for handling, then it's very reasonable to expect you'll have a bitch of a snake ready to fight every time the cage door is opened, just because they've adjusted to those odds. Overall, I agree with the principles behind separate feeding accomodations. If nothing else it will at least encourage an owner to more interaction with a reptile that really should be owned for it.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Why are you microwaving the rat? I've always been told to avoid doing that since you can cook parts of it or get parts too hot or whatever.

hyperhazard posted:

:)

edit for clarity: I microwave a mug of hot water, pour it into the special container I use for defrosting, and add the frozen rat. Five minutes later, voila, cooked rat! Then I dry it and serve it.

vvv Haha, no problem. As soon as I typed that post, I realized it was worded weirdly.

hyperhazard fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 26, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

hyperhazard posted:

:)

More like :downs: I totally saw 'heating the rat'. I have no idea how.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I've always fed in cage and never noticed any cage aggression from any of my snakes, but then again I've had them all for years. My guys will occasionally go two or three weeks without really being handled beyond a bit of cleaning/water changes. My retic will get a little more alert around feeding day and also tends to bang around his cage as if to say "OK, I'm hungry here, feed me or no sleep for you" but that's about it.

It always seemed to me that, particularly for problem feeders, being pulled out and moved and fed and then moved again would be more stressful for the snake. Also seems like it'd be easier to get bitten handling a snake that's still in "feeding mode". I guess it depends on how quickly your animals calm down after eating, though. Riley would probably take a nip at me if I tried to handle him right after he ate, he stays in food mode for a good 24 hours after a rat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dig
Sep 11, 2001

Cowboys > Ninjas

spixxor posted:

I've always fed in cage and never noticed any cage aggression from any of my snakes, but then again I've had them all for years. My guys will occasionally go two or three weeks without really being handled beyond a bit of cleaning/water changes. My retic will get a little more alert around feeding day and also tends to bang around his cage as if to say "OK, I'm hungry here, feed me or no sleep for you" but that's about it.

It always seemed to me that, particularly for problem feeders, being pulled out and moved and fed and then moved again would be more stressful for the snake. Also seems like it'd be easier to get bitten handling a snake that's still in "feeding mode". I guess it depends on how quickly your animals calm down after eating, though. Riley would probably take a nip at me if I tried to handle him right after he ate, he stays in food mode for a good 24 hours after a rat.

My GTP, and Bullsnake all eat in their cages, while I feed my ball python and boa in a separate dark tub. I find with the ball python, he wont have as strong a feeding response in his cage, but once in the dark blue death box he goes right into strike position. He once shot out at my face when I dropped a thawed rat and leaned over to pick it up with my forceps.

My boa is kinda dumb and wont even eat in her cage. She needs a thawed rat played with, and smushed against her face, and it's easier to do that outside the tank.

My GTP will try to kill anything that moves (she's an awesome feeder), but the bull snake has a PVC tube in her enclosure that I dangle food in front of, which she grabs and then drags into her tube for a private meal. If she's out of her tube, she wont even hiss or rattle her tail at me anymore, and is dog friendly but musks like hell.

My ball and Boa sometimes rupture their prey items, and cleaning up blood and guts is a lot easier in a tub then it is in their enclosure.

• Locked thread