Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
This is Azula. She's my girlfriend's ball python, about a year old now.

Azula likes food.

E: While I'm posting here, maybe I can get some advice... this is our first snake, and I keep hearing mixed things about what kind of bedding/substrate to use. The stuff in the picture above is no longer in her tank, since she's got mites right now :( thankfully it's not a bad case. We've got her tank stripped bare until this is sorted out, but once the mites are gone what substrate would you all recommend going with?

Golden-i fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

hypnotoad posted:

I (and most everybody else in this thread) use shredded aspen for snakes. I love it, it lets my snakes burrow, and I also think it smells good. :3:

Awesome! I used to use aspen for my old bearded dragon when he was younger... when he got older I didn't want him to eat it so I switched to calcium sand, which was healthier but I was deprived of coming home to this:

And yes, it does smell nice too.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Big Centipede posted:

What are you treating the mites with?

Personally, I like Bed-a-Beast with a little play sand mixed in, but thats mostly for aesthetic reasons. As long as you achieve the proper humidity it doesn't really matter what you use (as long as it's not pine or cedar). For a BP, I'd suggest coconut coir (Bed-A-Beast, Eco-Earth, whatever) because it's great for allowing you to hold humidity if you need to.

Maybe that would be a better idea than the aspen, this time of year around here it's really dry and it would help to hold all the humidity I can. I've used eco-earth in the past, so I might go that route.

As far as the mites, I spoke to the breeder and they recommended soaking in warm water with just a bit of dish soap to upset the surface of it, for 15-30 minutes a day. While she soaks I boil her hide and water bowl (just tupperware things at this point) and disinfect her tank with iso alcohol. So far it's worked wonders and it's only been a week. If they don't clear up completely after another few days I'd like to start a treatment, is there anything you guys can recommend?

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Captain Foxy posted:

Things to Avoid:
-Calci-sand (causes impactions)
-Hot Rocks (causes burns)
-Cheap stick on thermometers (unreliable)

Etc, etc.

Man you are totally right... it was a long time ago and I was young and stupid(er).

• Locked thread