Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

This is kind of dumb but I'm not quite sure where else to ask: Are baby snakes poisonous? Or dangerous in any way? My stupid cat brought one in from outdoors, it was about 25cm long and striking blindly. No idea what type, but since this is Australia it was likely a poisonous one.

The snake is fine, just pissed as hell. I think she was too curious to have tried mauling it yet. I shooed it outside. But I don't how long the cat had it before I noticed. She's not in obvious pain but the snake was striking all over the drat place while she was patting at its head.

Time to mow the lawn I guess. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

mushroom_spore posted:

An animal is only poisonous if you have to touch, bite or eat it to be affected (like wild dart frogs). If it delivers through bite or sting, it is venomous. :science:

:colbert:

quote:

If you live in an area with venomous snakes (Australia :gonk: ) and still let your cat outside, you really need to learn to ID a species on sight. Or at least take pics. It could mean the difference between life and death.

This is the first time I've actually had to deal with snakes. I've always lived in a city before now. The cat is allowed out because she just sits on the patio, but I guess the local snakes sun themselves there. Great.

I called my dad, who has lived with snakes for ages, and he said baby snakes aren't poisonous venomous... no idea where he got that info from. Plus the cat seemed fine, was just chirping and purring and lazing about like always. I was actually more worried about saving the snake from her. :saddowns: It was definitely a baby, I thought it was a shoelace before I noticed one end was up in the air.

I poked around online and I am pretty sure it was one of these, a non-venomous grass snake. I'll definitely be more cautious from now on though.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I don't know where else to ask this. A carpet python is in my house and I have no idea how to get rid of it. It's behind the washing machine, which is in a doorless alcove so it basically has the run of the house.

My two cats were freaking the gently caress out yesterday so it's obviously been in here since then. They're especially terrified of my room so it was probably hiding under my bed the whole time. :stare: There's also a heavy piss stink, I don't know if it was from a scared cat or if snakes smell loving gross.

It's kind of near to the patio door, but it doesn't seem to want to move. It's definitely awake, half of it is poking out from the side between the machine and the sink, and stares back at me when I shine the torch down there. It's probably not happy about the cats being around. I'm told it'll be too afraid of the cats to go after them, and they're obviously terrified of it, so at least they'll leave each other alone.

I don't want to hurt it, but I have kind of a snakey phobia and also don't want to touch it. I just want it to quietly leave, preferably before I go to bed and have to lock the house up for the night. :(

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

It is under my sofa now :( It has curled up on itself in a heap so its probably there for the night.

Yes I'm in Aus, I'll call someone tomorrow and see what options there are, thanks. It didn't occur to me to try, I was raised with the Aussie stereotyped attitude that being afraid of and unable to cope with scary critters is a most shameful thing. My dad is already sneering at me for being even mildly alarmed at a giant loving snake in my house

I'm really sick and stressed already so this isn't helping just gtfo already you rear end in a top hat snake

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

It was pretty drat big. And when you have a snakey phobia, doing anything that might require touching it, even with something else, is out of the question.

Doesn't seem to matter though now, because I can't find it anymore. I got to sleep finally, at like 4am, having left the back door open to maybe encourage it to loving leave. Seems to have worked, I woke late and couldn't find it anywhere. One of the cats is hiding under my bed so at least it's not in my room.

Thanks for all the advice though, it helped me calm down a lot. And I'll know what to do if it turns out to have been hiding behind the fridge or something.

e.

I like how the ad for your certified bred animals features the tubbiest gargoyle in hell.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 11, 2013

• Locked thread