Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
Nobody answered me last time and since I've popped into Pet Island again anyway, I'm gonna ask again:

How often should my baby rosy boa be shedding? I'm not exactly how small he is, but he doesn't seem much bigger than the baby ones they usually sell at pet stores so it's about that. I've had him for over a year and he's shed twice in that time. He seems perfectly healthy, I feed him one pinky a week, his tank temperature is usually around a high 70.

Should I up the temperature/feed him more, or is this normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine

Joonami posted:

I just got a rosy boa (weighs approx 25g) and she was fine eating a fuzzy. Consider feeding yours larger food, the general rule of thumb is 1-1.5x the diameter of the snake at its thickest region. Also I think 70 is too cold. They are desert snakes and all the guides I have seen recommend high 80s. I agree with the other poster, my healthy snabies shed about once a month.

Yeah, I've been thinking about feeding him something larger, pinkies don't leave much of a lump in him anymore. But since I just bought a bunch I'll be feeding him 2 pinkies for now I guess.

I read the max their tank temps should go was about 82, but if it's too cool I'll try increasing the temps. Thanks a lot. :)

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
I've been tempted to get a baby tegu or some other monitor, can someone please convince me what a terrible idea this is? Thanks.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine

Big Centipede posted:

Tegus aren't a type of monitor.

Tegus and monitors aren't the easiest things in the world to keep, and should only be kept by experienced keepers. They need a lot of room (even the smallest monitor species available in the hobby would need at LEAST 8 square feet of space). They eat a LOT, and can be expensive to keep fed. They can also be mean, and even a 3ft tegu is pretty nervewracking when it's trying to kill you every time you clean its cage.

If you must have a larger lizard, get a beardie or blue tongued skink instead of a tegu or monitor.

Yeah, you're right. After looking at the bites and reading about them more, I definitely can't handle them. Even if the idea of having a dog-sized lizard is super tempting/cool as hell.

I'll look into something smaller, like a leopard gecko or a beardie.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
Hey guys, I decided to get a beardie. He's baby and I got everything all set up and ready for when he arrives. Except, one thing.

Do I have to feed him crickets? Is there any way I can feed him something else, or will I be stuck buying a lot of crickets forever? I hate those little fuckers.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
My guy's finally gonna be arriving on Wednesday. Ugh, I'm so impatient, I can barely wait! Bought him from a breeder.

He's 3 months old, so I guess I'll be stuck dealing with crickets for awhile. How old does he have to be before I can feed him roaches? I don't think I could really breed them, but the pet store around here sells them.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine

Greycious posted:

Dubia roaches are incredibly easy to breed and they will eat table scraps for the most part, fruit that is starting to go, most veggies, breads...

You're going to be stuck feeding him some type in insect in some amount his whole life. Honestly if you're complaining about it that much already you probably shouldn't have got a beardie. There are lizards out there that don't need to eat insects.

You can start feeding them roaches whenever, you just feed them the nymphs when they are small.

I personally wouldn't mind breeding roaches, my family wouldn't be happy with it though. So, it's kind of not possible.

That's great that I can feed him roach nymphs, though. I just hate crickets.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
Guys, I'm a bit worried about my baby beardie. He was shipped without a heat pack and it was in the low-50s (the weather was fine when the shipper shipped him, but there was a sudden cold snap). He's been very lethargic, hasn't moved much. He's eaten and drank a little bit, is he okay?

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
Yeah, his basking spot is at 107 degrees, is that okay?

And I brought him out into the sun, and poo poo! There's little red dots on him, I think they're mites. gently caress! Time to tell the breeder... and I thought they were good, too. :(

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
You got her from a con, Greycious? Are you located in Vegas?

I went to the Vegas con yesterday and was about to buy a leopard gecko when I got called into work. When I went again today, the guy was all sold out. :(

Nothing else really interested me at the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine

Olive Bar posted:

I love how bearded dragons always look either smug, condescending, or super proud.

Nope.

• Locked thread