Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
These are a couple of super basic questions before I go away and do more research, so I hope nobody minds!

I've been thinking about getting a frog or frogs, perhaps an aquatic species. From what I've read, a lot of them need pretty intensive water changing because filters disturb them - is this true for all frogs? I don't mind water changes and cleaning, of course, but I've seen in a few places that a 90% water change once a week can be pretty standard and I was wondering if there are any species that are a bit easier to care for as something of a beginner.

I also wondered if all frogs live up to the noisy reputation I've seen bandied about?

I had an axolotl a few years ago and always had tropical fish in the house when I lived with my parents - so I'm not a total novice - but I don't really know how vastly different keeping frogs is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

OneTwentySix posted:

If darts are something that would interest you, I'd be glad to give recommendations, resources, breeders, etc., and there are other keepers in the thread, too.
Aw, those guys are gorgeous! I'll take you up on the suggestions for resources and stuff, though I'm in the UK so perhaps breeder information and suchlike wouldn't be entirely relevant...

quote:

Back to your original question, though, it all depends on what species you want. As far as aquatic frogs go, your choices are basically African Clawed Frogs (Xenopus), Dwarf Frogs (Hymenochirus), and firebelly toads (Bombina), which are more semi-aquatic than anything. If you want something less common, there's Suriname toads (Pipa pipa), too. Off the top of my head, I can't really think of anything else that you'd keep aquatic. None of those species would be difficult at all, provided you had a properly set up tank, though Pipa might be a little bit trickier, but not much.
Can you tell me more about African clawed frogs? They're one of the species I was looking into but found a bunch of stuff about lots of water changes and filter issues. I've also come across tomato frogs and they look adorable, do you know anything about them?

I'm still about 6 months away from committing to anything, so I've plenty of time to keep researching.

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 20, 2013

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Kilersquirrel posted:

To chip in, you could do Budgett's frogs as well if you like the idea of having a carnivorous pet rock. Surinames and Budgett's basically do their best leaf-litter and rock impersonation til something tasty moves in front of them, then they gulp it down. They're both pretty forgiving in terms of water quality(nitrate wise anyways, ammonia will kill amphibs dead in a hurry regardless of species), and don't really need a huge amount of space.

If you want something that's actually going to move though, don't get these frogs. They will also bite the poo poo out of you once they get large enough, so if you wanted to be able to pick up your frog easily they're not the best idea.
I think I'd rather get something that occasionally moves, but thanks! I'm not really bothered about handling frogs - it doesn't seem like it'd do them any favours, I just miss having something to care for and stare at for a while. I'd get another axolotl but I think I want to try something a bit different this time around.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Sweet CupnCakes posted:

I have three new additions to my place and thought I would share.

1. Kenyan Sand Boa
I was at a show and just loved the colors and personality of the sand boas and decided I had to get one. Her name is Lucy.

That is one gorgeous snake!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I thought you weren't meant to keep multiple axolotls in a tank lest they get pissy with one another? Have I been mistaken?

I miss my axolotl. RIP Jesus :(

• Locked thread