Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

As long as a gray banded kingsnake is already on f/t food there is no reason a beginner shouldn't be able to handle one. My first snake was a greyband, they are still my very favorite snakes :3:
My four are all very easy-going and reliable eaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Captain Foxy posted:

These are the parents.
Dad:

This gecko is obese. That is in no way a healthy looking leachie.
Leachies should have loose skin, yes, but not rolls of fat. I've heard some leachie owners boasting about feeding multiple pinkie mice in one sitting, which is in no way healthy for them.

That is the most :smith: leachies I've ever seen. :(
It looks like it hardly has any toes left too, and obviously a missing tail. That is a lot of damage for one reptile.

UltraGrey fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 20, 2012

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Took some more pictures of some of my critters yesterday/today that needed some update. And uploaded some other random ones I had.

Have to share this picture of my favorite girl garg:

Cookie just has such a great personality, eats good, and I love her short and wide bulldog-like head. She's also a good layer, and had roughly 8 offspring last year. Hoping for another successful season with her this year. :3:

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Bash Ironfist posted:

I didn't know they could smile :3:

I love the coloration and texture of her skin, is it as pebbly to touch as it looks? That's a very nice photo, by the way.

I'd say they aren't quite as soft as cresties. You definitely feel more of the texture of their scales. Their head knobs are very bumpy and hard, and remind me of a dinosaur.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I don't use CL for posting anything important..I've offered some of my fancy mice before that I use for both breeding for fun and for snake food.. But even that wasn't worth it. I was so pissed off the other day about idiots asking about them, that I write long explanations for, get the best pictures possible (which is so drat hard to do for mice that never stop moving!) and then they just never get back to me.

I even had a local reptile enthusiast ask me about them, sent a nice email with lots of pictures and two days later, still no reply, I told them 'Hey, I am culling off some males soon, if you want any please let me know asap!'

Still no reply...How hard is it to just type 'yes! I want this one!' or 'No thanks sorry changed my mind!' and hit send? It isn't. People are just loving annoying.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Another mouse-related story.

Now that I am raising some of my own rodents for my snakes, I have an even stronger appreciation of the whole 'Don't feed live' warnings.

I prekill my live mice for my snakes when I give them the ones I've raised. I have however tried to give one of my more voracious eaters a eyes-barely-opened baby once, and that thing nipped her on the head and gave her a really good scare. I was pretty shocked it managed to do that...Never doing that again.

Yesterday I was handling some of my latest litter for socializing and fun, because they are so drat adorable. They had just opened their eyes earlier this week, and 1 of the 11 decided it was going to be an rear end in a top hat. This thing bit me so hard with it's tiny teeth, and would NOT let go. It sat there grinding it's teeth onto my finger. It was smaller than a walnut, and didn't break skin, but that thing hurt! Hurt more than one of my geckos biting me, and was sore for a whole hour afterward. Needless to say...That one is becoming food as soon as it grows up a bit more.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Big Eyed Whip Snake; Ahaetulla mycterizan

King's rock monitor; Varanus kingorum

Golden tail gecko; S. taenicauda (the most realistic one for me)

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I Am Hydrogen posted:

Gecko!

I assume you're talking about an African Fat Tail gecko, and not a leopard gecko. A lot of people who see them think 'if the tail is fat, it is a fat tail' but leo's and AFT's both have plump tails- AFT's more so though.

I honestly never see any African fat tails in the petstores around my area, just leopard geckos. I only keep and prefer AFT's because I find them much more adorable- and they are slower moving.

If you do want an AFT though, two females would do just fine together in a 20gallon long. I highly recommend you don't purchase from a petstore, especially a chain one, because there is little to no chance the employee will know what is a female and what is a male. If you end up with two males, they will fight, and a male/female..well you could guess, and that would be very stressful on the female to be with him constantly

AFT's don't need special lighting as they are nocturnal. Just dust their crickets with a calcium supplement with D3. The best thing to do is get an undertank heater.

Definitely look to order your geckos online. A breeder will be able to hook you up with two normal females at a great price. They can also tell you if they are too small to be sexed if they have been incubated at temperatures to produce females, as they are a Temperature sex determined species.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Cute gecko, like the name. :)

And yes, feeding insects to cresties/gargoyles that are on the repashy diet is completely optional. Some still really like bugs, but others will just turn their heads to them. No big deal.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

CB Tokay's can be tamed down very nicely. I spend a bit of time on the Pangea forums and there is a member there who breeds Tokay's and once post this amazing picture:

There was a thread recently by her that really showcases both the worst and the best of Tokay: http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/showthread.php?60694-*GRAPHIC*-Example-of-how-seriously-Tokays-take-parenting-*GRAPHIC*
It's a good read for anyone interested in tokay at all.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Big Centipede posted:

Oh wow, not many people keep Eurydactylodes. Very cool. What's it's temperment like? I imagine they're more skittish than Rhacs.
E. agricolae have had a boom in popularity all of a sudden. It seems like everyone and their mom wants one- well, when it comes to gecko keepers that is.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Shachi, the viv looks very nice.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Is there a favorite cricket dusting powder for cresteds amongst goons?

I LOVE Rep-cal. Pangea also sells it if you like shopping there:
http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/rep-cal-ultrafine-calcium-with-d3.html

It is super-fine and coats insects very well. Sometimes I'll mix it in with my laying females CGD too.
They have Herptivite as well, which is a multivitamin, great to switch it up every so often. I've even given a little bit to my snakes by dipping mouse butt in it before. :)

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Cultured Snail posted:

It works fine but gets expensive if you're rearing an entire B. dubia colony like I am. Stuff is gone in minutes. Would work fine for smaller numbers of bugs though.

Yeah, this. I kind of like it but I probably won't re-order it. Just too much $ for not enough roach food.

I made my own thing the other day I called "Roach gruel" that they went nuts for. A small amount of CGD, handful of fresh Kale, handful of oats, handful of tortoise pellets. Add water and blend. Pour on flat lid for roaches to go insane for.

Freeze the rest in small portion-sized cups (although next time I'm going to just use an ice cube tray).

Was fun, lasted all week, super healthy for the roaches, and very in expensive since I just used things on-hand to make it.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Ah, good. That's the stuff I've been using. Calv didn't want to eat his crickets last time so I wanted to be sure it was just him being a dick and not something else.

My hands were wet yesterday while I was handling them. He found the little space between my index finger and my thumb and sat licking it for a bit. :3: And by the way, Greycious, you can't even tell their tails apart anymore.

That's good :) I'm glad they are doing well!

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

nesbit37 posted:

She'll be OK. They get like that every time they mobilize for eggs. It seems to be harder on them than many other geckos because they put so much calcium into the shells. Next year I am going to see if she will take a season off for me.

They all seem to have it to some degree, it's interesting..even the short leachie tail. Seems like it's just something that happens to all of them to one degree or another.

Love the xrays, very awesome. Thank you for sharing.

Amazing how huge the chewies eggs look inside her, incredible they can lay them.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

That is a very nice crestie Captain Foxy. Who are you going to pair him with?

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Insane week reptile-wise, and it will continue this weekend with the White plains show on Sunday!

Sunday night I discovered my first fertile leachie eggs, from my high-pink pair. :)

Monday morning my greybanded kingsnake began to lay eggs- my first snake eggs. She JUST finished laying the rest of them this morning. I'm not sure how many she had exactly right now, as she laid them over the course of the week and I haven't tallied how many normal eggs, boob eggs, and slugs. Somewhere around 8-9 normal, 2 boobs, and three slugs.

Several of the normal looking ones were lost though...one she ate (not kidding), one I was dumb with and yeah...and another I actually saw BREAK as she was pushing it out.

I hope it was only this crazy because she is a first time snake mom.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Bobbaganoosh that is amazing, I'm so jealous...I wish I had awesome wild reptiles where I lived.

The white plains show was a little disappointing yesterday. I didn't see anything that really WOW'ed me. The good thing about that is I ended up dumping all my money on a new and huge and amazing hatchling/juvvie rack. I'm expecting some AFT babies and Greybanded kingsnake snabies in the next coming months (My first snake eggs! :3:)

And, since I didn't come home with any new animals (except one I paid for in January that I've been planning to pick up for months) I put a deposit down on an amazing garg from some insanely colored lines. :dance: Will be getting it in a few weeks, pictures WILL follow!

Edit: I haven't shared any baby garg pictures from the last couple weeks!

UltraGrey fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 23, 2012

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

hypnotoad posted:

Ohmygawd Greycious, that garg with the yellow "eyeliner" is just.... Eeeee. :3:

Another picture of one of those two I have right now from that mom
That mom's babies always have her bright yellow eyeliner, it's cute :)

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:3: That little gecko is so pretty. I don't know garg morph names. What is it?

All those babies are stripes. That dark one is from eyeliner-mom I think, she produces somewhat funky 'broken' stripes, they don't have a perfect thick stripe but instead have several thin stripes.

The one in the second picture is from my high contrast b/w pair, it has a much more heavy and defined stripe..

Gargoyles don't have very cut-in-stone morphs. There are three basic patterns,
Retic/Reticulated

Banded:

Striped:

Within those three basics, individuals can vary a lot. You'll especially find Retics that have faint bands, or stripes that seem to have some reticulated areas as well.

None of these have colors, there are "Base" colors, that show up when the animal fires up, and then there are other colors where the animal always has that coloration, and it is usually in stripes along the back stripe, or in big Blotches of color.

Red "Base" striped, This is her fired up, when fired down she looks like a dull pink.

Red/Orange stripe, color shows up brightly even when fired down

Orange blotch

UltraGrey fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 24, 2012

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Cthulhuite posted:

Okay, so i'm about to get a pair of Crested Geckos and join the world of reptile pet ownership, but i'm a little wary about pairing them up only to find that 6-8 months down the line I have two males and they start ripping eachothers faces off.

Do I just start with one and hope it doesn't get lonely, then perhaps introduce a friend later on down the road, or hope that if I get two juvis they turn out to both be female or female/male?

I can't really keep two seperate terrariums, and i'd be loathe to split the one I do have into two smaller boxes as it might get a little cramped.

I know several people have already said this, but I just want to drive it home:

A single crestie will not get lonely. It will be very happy to have its very own habitat without another gecko in sight. They enjoy having their own territory all to themselves just fine.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Cthulhuite posted:

I guess that means all I need to do now is take pictures to post in the thread. :3:

Yes, this is a must!

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Gargoyles are the best. I only have 20-something, so I think I like them a little. :3:

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Trilineatus posted:

So, how you doin'? I've always wanted a garg, and it seems you have an excess... :downs: I also accept pictures of them being cute.

Cute you say? How about some pictures of some of this years hatchlings?!

Garg-smile!

Yellow eyeliner

Nice chubby freshly-hatched baby

Eye looking cool

Don't be shy, come on out!

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Trilineatus, I PMed you a link.. :)

Gargs are by far my favorite, over cresties, leachies, and chahoua. Mainly I just love their stoney/prehistoric look. They are definitely as a whole easier to handle than cresties, they tend to be less jumpy. And obviously more affordable than leachies and chewies. Chahoua are pretty awesome though.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Malalol posted:

Oh quick question! Sterlite bins are so cool. Buuttt...do you need to put in airholes or will they have enough air since its not air tight? I use a few of them but I have always drilled holes into the lid, until I saw that my friend doesn't even do it for his rodents and they are, well. alive. Humidity issues aside...

I'd like a few more bins but dont have access to a dremel now.

I use sterlites for geckos and rodents alike...I cannot imagine not using holes for rodents, or even not using a screen mesh. I tried it once and holy how the stink was horrendous. For most of the rodents and geckos I cut a large portion of the top and install screens. The only ones I don't do this for is my chahoua because she needs higher humidity, and same with my rhino ratsnake.

CGD and gecko poop gets moldy pretty easy without enough ventilation...it is disgusting when it happens.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Oooooh Bobbaganoosh, if you produce any Trans pecos let me know. I might want one :D

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Dienes, that doesn't sound so drastic that you'd have to give it immediate attention tonight. I'd say just wait to call the vets tomorrow if you think you'll be able to get then or the next day.

Is there any way she could have burnt herself? Some under tank heaters can get very hot when not controlled by a thermostat. Is your temp gauge sitting right on the hot spot, or do you have one there? Might be good to check. Only thing I can think of by your description.

It sounds very weird to me to have a cornsnake on rat pups.. :psyduck: Corns don't grow large enough to eat adult rats...why not just feed it mice? Mice tend to be less expensive too.
Not that I think there is any problem with it, just never heard of someone feeding corn snakes rats.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I have three grey-band snabies :3: My first ever snabies!

One of the few pictures I have right now. Haven't shed yet. I'll get lots more after that happens :dance:

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Big Centipede posted:

Spixxor's post reminds me, be prepared to have some trouble getting the babies on rodents. Grayband babies do well with lizard scenting though usually, a live or dead leopard gecko, house gecko, or anole should work. Be patient, and they'll be fine... sometimes they even take rodents right from the start.

Oh yes, I'm ready for a long ride trying to get them to regularly feed, if it comes to that...

I do have plenty of geckos to try and scent with, and an anole if needed. Also some litters of mice on they way, they better hurry up though because I just found two sheds this morning! The third one is a day younger, so expecting some shed tomorrow from that one. :)

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Snaffoo posted:

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with all the work I have out ahead of me, but I'll ask now so I can start processing my plan of attack: what should I do about the shedding problem? What if a q-tip either makes it upset or doesn't help get off the skin? A lot of it came off after I put him in the cup with wet paper towels, but there's still plenty stuck on his face and feet. I'm really scared for his toes, mainly. What if they're beyond repair? :cry:

How long have you been leaving him in the 'moist bath'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSuirE906p0

Don't worry TOO much about the toes...if a couple toes fall off, it is okay, he'll probably be fine. I would be much more concerned about his head and face, especially the shed over his eyes. Just keep giving him the baths and use the qtip the gently rub. He won't enjoy it, but he needs it very badly.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Atmus posted:

How large and in what configuration would be best for a breeding pair/group?

How much hight do they really use? If you built them some crazy 7' tall enclosure complete with 'trees', would they use the whole thing?

A 20gallon would be fine for a breeding pair- assuming you're separating them during the off-season.

Do you currently own any cresteds or geckos? Just in case you don't know, a single pair can lay up to 6+ eggs from a single mating. It is quick and easy to get overwhelmed by eggs/hatchlings if you are not careful, especially when there are tons of lower-end geckos available.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Captain Foxy posted:

Your enclosure plans are good. Bigger is always better for any species, and cresties are easily housed.

I have to disagree with this somewhat. Some geckos are very much so creatures of comfort/familiarity, and sometimes large spaces can stress them and make it hard for them to find food. Most of my geckos, while they explore/feed at night, always return to the same spot to sleep every day.

I'm not saying don't try to give them more space, go ahead and try it, but keep track of their weight and make sure they aren't dropping, and be prepared to put them in something smaller if needed.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Bobbaganoosh posted:

Listen to these wise people. Save yourself now. Crestitis is terminal and spreads fast. Run if you can.

Monsoon rains ripped thru S. Az today. Naturally the amphibians are loving it and out in force, although I don't remember them being quite this loud.

Very nice! I was listening to a tree frog by me last night, it's fun to hear the seasonal noises of summer back again.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Trilineatus posted:

Greycious breeds them :3:

Hey thanks, and also, I just weighed your baby: 6.5 grams

Guess what else...

It's a boy! :toot:

(About 95% certain, at least. Lots of pores already!)

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Glad I stopped buying rodents from Rodent Pro / Micedirect awhile back. I've found dead mites on rodents from both places, and one (I forget which, I think mice direct) sent me a rat with a giant abscess on its neck that burst/oozeded out a load of pus when I thawed it. Needless to say, that rat was tossed out and not fed to anything.

It was enough for me to quit buying from those places.

I was considering buying from this place: http://www.laynelabs.com/
I've heard really good things about them, but never placed an order because for me the shipping was just way too much ($20 over most other places) because I am on the opposite coast.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Big Centipede posted:

I've never had problems with Provent-A-Mite.

I used Provent-A-Mite before and it worked well. I also sometimes put some in my Rodent bedding.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Gosh. I just did monthly weigh-in with the cresties. Rich is 16 grams. Calvin is 15 grams. And I can't find a single pore on either of them.

Richina and Calvette, I guess. :doh:

They're in 10 gallon plastic totes at the moment. I should be fine to move them up to their permanent 29 gal tanks at this weight, right? Just check their weights and be sure that they don't start losing? Or would you guys wait a little longer?

They should be fine, just weigh them the first couple weeks to make sure they are eating and adjusting if you're worried.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

My dart frogs were going wild this morning calling and fighting and wanting to mate, I think.

http://youtu.be/XW8qwNQAnQ0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Okay, so this is what all that fuss was about :

I am shocked, but also not too horribly shocked to have found these this morning. My friend who is the 'frog guy' gave me these about a month ago. Yesterday he was over and said "Yeah the girl looks pretty chunky, she might have some eggs in her"

Yes- quite a lot of eggs, too!

• Locked thread