Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
Okay, so i'm about to get a pair of Crested Geckos and join the world of reptile pet ownership, but i'm a little wary about pairing them up only to find that 6-8 months down the line I have two males and they start ripping eachothers faces off.

Do I just start with one and hope it doesn't get lonely, then perhaps introduce a friend later on down the road, or hope that if I get two juvis they turn out to both be female or female/male?

I can't really keep two seperate terrariums, and i'd be loathe to split the one I do have into two smaller boxes as it might get a little cramped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
Wow, thanks very much for the replies, everyone! I'll just be getting the one Gecko, in this case, and be very glad it won't get lonely.

I guess that means all I need to do now is take pictures to post in the thread. :3:

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
As promised, here is a picture of Bowie, the crested gecko. He's looking a little pale as he was ready to shed, but is usually a bright orange.

He also thinks eating means 'Mashing your head into the food, then licking it off your face' :3:

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
All this talk of lovely pet stores is sad and depressing, so have some pictures of little Bowie watching Red Dwarf with me after feeding.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
I have a bit of a heat problem in my apartment, and I just wanted to see if there's anything more I can do.

My crested gecko tank is starting to get up around 28-29 degrees during the day, and I know that this is the upper limit for him. I've been leaving a cube of ice in his water bowl every morning to bring the temperature down, and giving the entire tank a liberal spraying every few hours when i'm home with cool-ish water. There's not many other places I can put his tank as they're all about as warm as the next area.

Is he going to be okay, or should I be doing something more? He's not lethargic, in fact he seems a bit more active than usual, I just worry a lot. :ohdear:

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
I tried to feed my Crestie crickets last night, give him a change from the usual CGD and a bit of fun to hop around all over the place scooping up babby insects. Instead he huddled down in the middle of the container I had him in, and did nothing. Whenever a cricket would get close he'd actually flinch, until he was just huddled in one corner hiding from them.

I felt so bad, I could see he was getting a little agitated so I took him out and put him back in his tank. He's about 3 months old, and weighs 8 grams, is this too young\small to be eating live food? I made sure the crickets were tiny, definitely smaller than the gap between his eyes. Is this normal for younger geckos and I just need to wait until he's bigger and older?

Here's a picture of him getting weighed, for :3:

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
I heard you can get Beardie trees. Confirm/Deny.

edit: Oops, tables.

Cthulhuite fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 10, 2012

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
I put in a red light for my Crestie yesterday and I have to say it's genuinely the best purchase I've made for him. He always does the usual thing of freezing like he's just committed a crime when the light comes on (Yesterday it was with his face firmly planted in the food bowl :3:) but last night I just flicked the red lamp on, let him get adjusted and then spent about an hour just watching him crawl around the place, hopping from vine to wall to log.

I've had him for almost a year now and this feels like an entirely new experience in owning a Crestie.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I'm considering doing this so I don't spook my ladies too much by flipping the lights on to watch them eat. Does it increase the heat in the tank noticeably? Right now we just use a ceramic bulb up top.

I've noticed maybe a 1 degree increase. Not much more than that. I went with a 60w bulb though, so factor that in with what's available as it took me a while to find anything below 80w.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
We adopted a 4-year-old Beardie a few weeks ago, some people were moving out West and didn't want to stress him out by taking him along so we gladly took up the challenge. Since we've had him, he tends to glass surf a lot. A little more this weekend since I just finished building him a bigger enclosure as he's probably getting used to it. He's about 13-14 inches too long and he was in a 55 gallon enclosure when we got him, so we assumed that he might be a little stressed and cramped but he's still surfing. His new enclosure is a big 120 gallon melamine thing I made.

When we take him out and let him run around the apartment - assuming his surfing meant he wanted to get out - typically he'll find some out of the way spot, flatten himself out with his nose in a corner and go to sleep.

He has a little cave to hide in in his enclosure, the temps are 105 on the basking spot and 89 on the other side - I'm hoping that's an adequate gradient. He has stuff to climb on although he typically just goes from a short basking after eating to dashing back and forth at the front.

Is there anything I could be overlooking as a cause of his stress? Should I give him more hides in his enclosure, somewhere else for him to hunker down and sleep? I don't like the idea that the little guy isn't happy. :(

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
Beardie update!

I managed to get the cooler side down to about 82, but we're having a crazy hot period here on the east coast right now so everything is crazy warm. I also set up some more things for him to run around on in the enclosure, and I haven't seem him glass surfing in two days so i'm taking that as a good sign!

I've just built a little basking platform and ramp which i'll be putting in there shortly, just to give him more stuff to pretend he can't climb and then randomly hop up onto like he's made of springs when he thinks I'm not watching. I'll take some pictures of his enclosure and his fat little belly this weekend too.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Captain Foxy posted:

82 is still too high. Can you raise your heating source(s) further away from the tank? The only other alternative is using a smaller wattage heat source, but since your basking zone temps are perfect (105) you don't want to affect that. Thermogradients are a pain in the rear end to regulate.

82 is with the main white light off (10.0 UV is on the left, basking is in the right) and a small fan blowing through the vent on that side. It's ridiculously warm here right now.

Could I freeze a bottle of water and put that in on that side wrapped in a towel? Any other ways I can bring the temperature down on that one side?

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
I built an enclosure for our new Beardie, if that's your thing. 4x2x2 made out of 5 sheets of melamine panels - I made sure to buy sheets with the rough dimensions I wanted, 4ft by 2ft, so I just had to do the minimal amount of cutting. I picked everything up including the perspex for the doors and vinyl flooring for $80-100, put it together over a slow weekend with just some basic tools and rudimentary woodworking skills. Surprisingly simple and better than anything you can pick up for a similar price.

I've got the main light screwed in at the top, just your standard 12 inch UVB floursecent, then in that hole on the right is where the basking lamp comes through just enough provide 105~ on the basking spot but too high for the beardie to touch it. Obviously that stuff you'd need to measure and figure out dependent on enclosure furniture and things like that.

I'll have to take some pictures of his current setup tonight to give you an idea of how it looks with the doors on and lights in, I don't seem to have any. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Hey thanks. I'd looked at melamine designs and wasn't sure if they were really durable enough, but the cost and weight would definitely be good. Yours looks much nicer than most of the ones I've seen.

I'd really like to see exactly how you've handled the doors and the basking light. That was one of my main concerns (keeping it far enough away from his face, giving enough heat, not catching things on fire, actually fitting it in there).

They didn't have any W runners, so I had to buy a pair of metal U runners (One side is longer than the other, does that make them a J runner?) and use tiny nails to hammer them to the boards at the top and the bottom. Some glue may have been better there, but it was my first attempt. It looks like this from the side.

_____
| | | <--- Top
- |

| - |
|_|_| <---- Bottom

The doors fit nicely into the little grooves, then I just hooked up a catch (Currently string :v:) on the handles on either side. The doors overlap in the middle and you slide them inwards to open which gives you about 1.5-2 feet of opening which is more than enough, we've never had a problem with it. As for the basking light, I cut a round hole in the top and hung the lamp in there using some pieces of wire coathanger. Melamine doesn't melt or catch fire, so it's safe to have hot stuff on it as long as it isn't touching the actual wood underneath. If you're worried you can also get melamine strips that you can glue/iron to the exposed wood where you cut it. Pictures to explain!

Out lamp had those little holes that were perfect for me to slide those metal things through so that the light hangs nicely. I've got little strips of Melamine leftover that I can put under them if I need to raise the lamp up.

Here's the UVB light on the left.

And Riker's Beard hiding out under his log. :3:

Cthulhuite fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 21, 2014

• Locked thread