Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Can we also get a list of 'popular' (as in cheaper/easy to find in pet stores) animals that most beginner people should probably avoid and reasons? eg. iguanas, savannahs, tortoises?(not sure how readily avail. the big ones are)

I dont recommend RES at all simply because people think little kritter keeper plus an inch of water :downs: is enough but then again, if people are actually looking for info and care on this thread, they arent too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Oh, herpy terminology would be cool. Why get CB, WC things to avoid... and why people go around using 1.0.0 numbers. The important of heating, uvb/a (before somebody goes and sticks a tank by a closed window or use an ordinary lightbulb), humidity, etc.

I'm not sure what animals are still mostly wild caught, most vendors at shows and occasionally pet stores will have the 'cb' label but many do not and the sales people probably give no fks about knowing. e: i mean, if you ask a lot of the sales people, it seems that they are clueless about where the animals are from and wouldnt be able to tell you if they were wc/cb

Malalol fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 19, 2012

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I've never heard about the coil bulbs being bad for reptiles..seems like Ill get results if I actively search for it but I've never come across it just looking up on reptile care. I feel bad that I might have been telling people to get it without knowing :( ...doesn't the sun have it too, or is it just more...concentrated/close in a bulb?

cubivore posted:

How often should my baby rosy boa be shedding? I'm not exactly how small he is, but

I'm unsure about rosy boas but Ive seen baby snakes shed aprox. once a month or more.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Wow I think I am in need of gecko slurry. I dont know if they are past that and in dying mode but, tails are pretty much skin and bones (they look like http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2514/3833652711_7892c334ea.jpg )

Buuutt.. those ingredients...ugh >_> Can I somehow get an alternative? Like another type of canned food that won't require a vet and I dont want to go out and buy thistle/acidophilis and just...use 2 pills. Or blend mealworms. : | Everything else looks easy enough to get...

Suggestions? The disclaimer also says to not use it for fattening up but.... looks like it works well..?

Malalol fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 25, 2012

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Shy Retirer posted:

Oh, poor things. Have you tried them on different kinds of food? Crickets or waxworms instead of mealworms? (waxworms shouldn't really be their main source of food, but if they're that skinny then it's worth trying, my gecko can't get enough of them!) Are you offering live food or canned food? My gecko isn't interested in anything that isn't moving. Is it warm enough in the tank? Are there ary signs of impaction?

If you've covered all these things, then slurry is the next thing to try. Surely it's worth the effort and cost to try and save their lives? Getting them to a vet would probably be a good idea too.

They get Cricks, mealworms, and i think folks have tried popping waxworms into them. I am not sure if theres impaction, ill check next time but theyve looked like this for weeeeeeks.. Warm enough in the day, miiiiiight be too cold at night not sure.
I dont have a lot of money to spend, especially going to the vet for food and definitely not for seeing mayb 3-5 geckos. I can pick up the thistle and acido if I must. I dont really want to say whose geckos these are but people can probabky guess sigh.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Scary Ned posted:

Are they actually eating the mealworms and crickets and still look like that? Or are they being offered food and refusing to eat? The slurry works well as an appetite stimulant and a way to get calories into an animal that is not eating at all. If you're low on funds I would skip the supplemental ingredients, I don't think the recipe I used even included acidophilus or thistle.

I don't actually know specifics because I dont take care of them. Ive seen one of them go for a tiny cricket some time ago, and I assumed they were eating a little bit because they are still alive. And there is poop. One did die in the past month. How long can they even go looking like that? I figure that this recipe (with some omissions/substitutes) better than nothing...)

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

How are they doing? PICTURES

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Snapshots I took today, that tortie baby is adorable so I wanted to get some shots of our Ben

not a tortoise

I think these guys are adorable but I've never looked at them from the front and realized they look -weird-

:neckbeard:

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

red(orange?)eyed crocodile skink! Theyre weird and the back definitely looks spikey crocodile-like.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

We've used it to no ill effect on a bunch of wild snakes. :X That and using diluted chlorhexadine.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

^I want a boyfriend like that.

Can anyone ID this snake more specifically for me? Picked him up today from petco of all places. I've been wanting a normal coloured bull forever but good luck having normal petstores carry them and the last reptile show had THREE bull snakes...at breeding size. Didnt want to order online so I gave up :( Labeled as a "sonoran gopher/bull"

First thought it was striped, but looks more like a patternless morph?

e: and..any age estimates for him? My two snakes currently were from shows so I know when they were born and sex, I hate not knowing : |

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Or adopt one, I'm sure there are rescues around with ones needing homes :3:

I think beardies are pretty rad but, ...not for me I guess, theyre on the ....boring side? Here I am thinking 'Man they dont do anything they just SIT there' while I like SNAKES that just sit there.

The food thing is the hardest part really, a habitat you only need to set up once and maintain it every now and then but food you have to prepare pretty often. And the bugs will get costly in the beginning unless you set up a roach bin.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Its such a pain in the rear end. Male mice are always fkin each other up so half of them get a lot of back wounds that you have to separate and treat. ...or don't have to treat but I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy -those- mice.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Big Centipede posted:

They can be pretty dangerous.

Yesterday morning I saw 2 Eastern box turtles mating in my neighbor's yard. That poo poo's hilarious in person.

When I revisited the rehab center I used to be at, they told me how our resident box turtle boy penetrated a newer rresident. Boy.
:gonk:
Like, picked up and couldnt separate type penetrate. Whaaat.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Would plastic cling wrap help? I know it helps with humidity... and its clear so...not as terrible as tinfoil..

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Getting a new exo terra nanos, 2 8x8x8 and 1 8x8x12......is there actually anything that can fit in there that doesnt require a UV? Heat? My plan was to move a roach into one, and a walking stick into another- guess thats for the invert thread, but was just wondering if any reptiles could work. I could do a heating pad, and light(can terrarium plants grow with a regular uvb bulb?) if some neat critters can live in there but I'm not looking to do anything fancy like frogs :\
I dont think its a big enough footprint for my scorpion, and I can't do tarantulas. Ive got a young crested in something similar, don't want..any more cresteds...

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Unless someone finds an odd looking morph or colour in the wild as a unique locale thing, I'd bet on every corn you see as captive bred.

Corn snake- $5-$100~ depending on size/morph

Tank- $40~ if you can pick up a 40g breeder during $1/g sales at stores like Petco. A 30g might work too, mine is in a 20g because I do not have room for a 40 at this moment. Zilla tanks with interlocking lids are more expensive, say $150. Otherwise, add ~$20 for a lid. You'd want a lock for that too, $1-2 edit: if you want to go wholly economic route, a big clothes/shoe/rubbermaidsterlite type bin....$10

Hides- free if you want to use household items like cardboard boxes, otherwise... $5-$50?

Water bowl- again, up to you..I use a large bowl from a supermarket that was a few bucks... same decorative thing at a pet store, probably $20

Heating- I get away with a heating pad, might be $20-40 bucks. Dome/bulb $30-40?

Mice- $20-30 for a yearly supply if you can go to a herp show. A lot more if you get it shipping/buy individually

Bedding- $5-10

I'm giving some really wide ranges, but depending on where you shop and what kind of things you get, you can spend a lot or a little. Other accessories include thermometer, spray mottle, moss, rheostat, another box if you want to feed the snake separately

Malalol fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 2, 2012

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Fluorescents for lighting? I just meant heat, just people like the heatbulb option using either red/normal light :\
I used ecoearth for a bit because I had a 'oh its more natural looking!' thing going on but its a pain in the rear end/messy for me to clean imo, so I went back to aspen last week. It does hold humidity really well though.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Need a gecko ID...I can count on crazy PI herp people right? Because I only have a poor description to go on.

Its a yellowish gecko, super tiny, maybe 2 inches or 3. Not sure if thats adult size but I believe it is. Markings wise, it has a darker line ringing the back of its head and it has oval-not quite circles going down its back. The closest thing I can find resembling it is http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-new/ehow/images/a05/52/f6/wild-amp-wherethey-do-live-800x800.jpg It has normal feet, not stick to glass feet.

I will obtain a photo later, but just curious if that description really shouted out a gecko species in particular.

V its not the gecko in the link, ...its just...sorta similar. the back ovals were pretty distinct

Malalol fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 6, 2012

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/Araask/3a4cb992.jpg
My desc was kinda off... Heres a photo. He has no eyelids if that helps.

E: http://www.lizardsofoz.com/geckos_diplo_galeatus.htm is this it?

Malalol fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 7, 2012

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

My friend just got one, a guy with reps gave him it and didnt know the type, except that it was a desert gecko. Guys at exotic store didnt know either.Figured if we could ID it we can actuallylook up care requirements since it has some stuck toes.
Didnt know thwy were so expensive.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Alright, whats a good substrate for growing plants in a terrarium that isnt super expensive and specialized? I'm not going hardcore into difficult plants but I'd like to give simple ones a shot.
The plan is hydroballs(or similar...aquarium gravel if I can't get balls) on the bottom, substrate, then a few plants+moss. I have ecoearth and thought if I mixed that with some soil outside from the garden it could help break down the poop of whatever creature I decide to toss in this nano. Maybe I should get a baby crested gecko :ohdear: I'm under the impression that it doesnt have a lot of fertilizer though.

Does the light matter too much? I have a regular lamp with a CF spiral bulb in it that I can use.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Ya might need to invest in a UVB lamp for him if you're gunna be caring for him. Hes cuuuute.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

How fast should sliders be growing btw?

Those illegal turtles being sold..how old are they? I assume theyre recent hatchlings... I've had people come tell me they have a little turtle and I'm like 'Oh it will grow, you need dis :D' and theyre like....... oh no Ive had it for a year and it hasn't grown. Cue horror. So uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......... assuming you care for it perfectly, feed it normally (every day), how much should they be growing in a year and how long to reach 10-12 inches?

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I totally want a baby turtle. Just a baby one :(

So I'm examining my corn snake and a lot of his snout scales are really rough from rubbing. Hes going in circles around his tank the majority of the time and rubbing his nose on the screen top. Its lookin for ladies season, and its kinda hilarious because he occasionally does the jerky dance.

Should I be worried? I dont think theres any blood..it might end up being scabby if he keeps doing it though. Not..really sure how to discourage that. Hes turning 5 years old right around this time too.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

^probably the only reason I dont have cresteditis right now :)

Petco had this really cool looking snake called the Indonesian Gartersnake and Ive been eyeballing it for a bit, they are having a 50% all reptiles sale in a week so I wanted to pick something up but a bit of google reveals that they are all wildcaught Striped Keelbacks..... super cool snake still, but they apparently come with a heavy parasite load and 'keel' over rather quickly. :( Glad I didnt impulsebuy going 'boy its just a simple garter'

Sadly still itching for another snake. Been looking for an interesting and easy lizard/herp creature that is handleable/doesnt need uvb but I mostly like the rhacs. Maybe a pictus gecko would work.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

So I might have lied about the cresteditis.

Is there a basic colour guide for them? Not patterns, just colours..I know there are yellow, green, buckskin, reds.... this one at work is grey(I guess its more blue in animal terms) in the body, with a little bit of rust/red on the top and I like it a lot. Along with one thats sorta green/flamey with dashed pinstripes that really stand out.

I cant afford highend geckos, but these will be $30 this weekend soooooooooooooooooooooooooo........

But yea I can't actually find any GIS images of a grey crestie that matches this guy so I'm wondering if it'll colorchange as it gets older. They came in super tiny but its been about 2 months and its quite a lot bigger now. Or its just in shed, I'll see in a few days and probably be disappointed. Also interesting is how much variation there is in their snoutlengths. Dont know if a stubby face or long face is considered "better"

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I know freezing isnt a humane way of euthanizing at all for reptiles, that..probably applies to frogs too? I dunno :ohdear:

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

^Wow thats a really cool looking snake. I would completely mistake that for a cornsnake from a top view, minus the head.

Need a turtle ID here, its aquatic and was kept as a pet (somebody dropped it off at work) but I have no idea what he is. He is a uniform dark colour, pretty much blackish. I dont think he is a mud turtle the shell is definitely different and resembles more like a sliders with the scute patterns. But hes got no markings. Maybe 5-6 inches. Didnt look at his plastron. Ill take a picture next time if the description isn't enough

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Are they getting uvb or unfiltered sun light? metabolic bone disease is a baaad thing. :(

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I got pictures of the turtle tonight. Doesnt look to be a musk turtle?

Also...crestitis? FK.

My guy.

new guy.

:( hes got the cutest fringing on his toes.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Oh quick question! Sterlite bins are so cool. Buuttt...do you need to put in airholes or will they have enough air since its not air tight? I use a few of them but I have always drilled holes into the lid, until I saw that my friend doesn't even do it for his rodents and they are, well. alive. Humidity issues aside...

I'd like a few more bins but dont have access to a dremel now.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Greycious posted:

I use sterlites for geckos and rodents alike...I cannot imagine not using holes for rodents, or even not using a screen mesh. I tried it once and holy how the stink was horrendous. For most of the rodents and geckos I cut a large portion of the top and install screens. The only ones I don't do this for is my chahoua because she needs higher humidity, and same with my rhino ratsnake.

CGD and gecko poop gets moldy pretty easy without enough ventilation...it is disgusting when it happens.

Well, I checked em out and it seemed pretty clean, no smell or anything. But he keeps spiny mice and more odorless rodents. I do have a GIANT issue with mold though, I can have all the ventilation I want and...mold. I ended up buying a kritter keeper tonight for the crestie though.

The turtle seems to be a diamondback terrapin. Though most GIS pics look like they have squiggly markings when hes all black. Either way, its illegal to have him oh boy.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Thanks for taking care of them :( you need a uvb still, but in the meantime, stick them outside in the sun for an hour so they can get it that way
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/medshell.htm not sure if. That helps

Malalol fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 16, 2012

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I'm glad I wasnt weird for looking at that photo and just felt... wrong. You just rarely see crested geckos in poor shape and then, wham! They are so -off- when not cared for. He looks like my guy too :(
And they seem pretty bombproof in terms of care too.. supply Crested Gecko Diet. Mist often. And thats pretty much it in terms of specific crestie care. Theres other basic things like, keeping it clean, proper temp. etc. Everybodys already said what needs to be done.

I'm also curious if sun will help the guy. I know theyre nocturnal, but maybe some UVB rays might help get some calcium going? Dunno...

excited about this new guy because he just looks so drat pretty when fired up

the other one. Started switching over from ecoearth to forest floor..Im liking it so far. Wonder if that has any affect on mold growth because the moss I use liked to get moldy.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Can I get an ID on this guy? I got him as a tadpole a few days ago from a feeder tank. He had backlegs but was pretty much still tadpole. I see him today and he is a frog! Highly doubt a fishtank would be suitable for a frog so Im wondering if a species ID will reveal some care info. Leopard frog maybe?
I hope I didnt stress him out, that was the only time I handled him- to get a photo. I dont know if hes breathing air either, hes gasping with his mouth open and that worries me? There are places to crawl out (that heater) and lots of pennywort on the surface to lay on.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I dont even like frogs :colbert: but..I love tadpoles. and didnt want it to get eaten. Would small crickets work? I dont know if its needs special lighting.. my current plan is to bring it to work where it can live with some other frogs. We have green frogs, whites tree frogs, fire bellies, and a tiger salamander. If it can live with any of these guys, would be great.
But if it can live without a lot of land, not need special lighting, and subsist on crickets I would keep it in the fishtank...

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Like the ejaculating penis on its neck.

...sorta.

And the happy face tail

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Any issues with keeping my snake outside? I want to move my corn to the garage, he lives in a 20L in my room and I have absolutely no room for a bigger tank in there. Trying to think of how I can shift furniture but its not working out right now.

I just picked up a 40b and I also have a 30g? that I can use out there. Temperaturewise, itll be pretty similar to inside I guess (I dont use a heating source for him in the summer time). 80s/almost 90 daytime, its 74 outside right now nighttime.

e:
V I havent thought about that, not sure how diff. the temps are. When its about 90s out, my room hits about 86+ so on average a 5 degree difference? Ill check what the garage is tomorrow...

Malalol fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/JpfE7.jpg

The head doesn't look all too great, but that scale texture is baffling and just makes the last shot that much more unnerving.

• Locked thread