Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Knormal posted:

PetCos (how do you pluralize that without it looking weird?) around here are having their $1/gallon terrarium sale again, that's a real good opportunity to pick up a terrarium for super cheap. Unless it's over already, which it might be, since I don't see any reference to it on their website.

Ended on the 11th as far as I know but I know there are some wacky regional pricing issues with Petco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Binary Logic posted:

Have you considered a ball python? They are available in many different colourings, are very laid-back and don't move fast like a corn. Possible downsides are that they're shy and nocturnal.

Is there a trick to balls or something? Initially I wanted to get a ball python, but I ended up adopting a neglected corn snake (previous owners were feeding it one pinky a month and it was about a foot long at over a year old) and I've really enjoyed him. I work at a pet store that regularly has baby balls, and while I've never been struck, they always seem to be moody assholes. Is it something they grow out of? We took in a juvenile ball that was about three times as big as the babies to adopt out once, and he seemed just as much of a dick.

I'm just kind of intimidated because they get so much bigger around than a corn and I've yet to handle one that didn't seem one irritation away from biting the poo poo out of me. I wish I had the space for a red tail and/or didn't have any cats.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Another thing you can try before going live is getting some mouse bedding from your local pet store and trying to get some of that scent on the frozen ones you're feeding. Also I always "play" a little with the mouse although I have no idea if my snake actually prefers a moving target or not. The couple times I've accidentally dropped one in there he seems to eat it just fine.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Bearded Dragons would also be a better option. Easier to care for and they actually respond to and seem to bond with their people, unlike many reptiles. They are also pretty drat adorable.

• Locked thread