Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

But shakin' its all I know!
Yay! New thread! :D Love the thread title, too. Great info so far everybody, I can't think of anything to add myself.

...except maybe some pictures of my critters.

Stir-fry! Male crested gecko, maybe he'll get himself a ladyfriend this year!

Mango, unsexed juvenile crested gecko.

Tom, the Western Hognose.

And Cornelius the normal ol' corn snake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

That is seriously the fattest crested and leachie I've ever seen in my entire life.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Golden-i posted:

This is Azula. She's my girlfriend's ball python, about a year old now.

Azula likes food.

E: While I'm posting here, maybe I can get some advice... this is our first snake, and I keep hearing mixed things about what kind of bedding/substrate to use. The stuff in the picture above is no longer in her tank, since she's got mites right now :( thankfully it's not a bad case. We've got her tank stripped bare until this is sorted out, but once the mites are gone what substrate would you all recommend going with?

I (and most everybody else in this thread) use shredded aspen for snakes. I love it, it lets my snakes burrow, and I also think it smells good. :3:

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

OneTwentySix posted:

If you've got an anole living in your bedroom, that came in there on its own will and keeps coming back, why set it up in a tank? Instead, why not treat an open portion of your room as if it is his tank; provide some hides for him, a water dish, a lamp to sun under and get some UV, maybe get some houseplants that he can climb around in, etc.

Anyone can put an anole in a tank. Having a free-range anole, on the other hand, is far less common.

I know a few people that've kept free-range day geckos in their frog rooms to eat the fruit flies, and one who kept a cane toad. The geckos even bred for one of the guys. I'd absolutely love to have free-range lizards in my house.

My local aquarium/reptile shop has two sides to it, one for actual fish and reptiles, and one for accessories and stuff, with a door separating the sides. The fish/reptile side had at least one tokay on the loose all the time, and I think a day gecko as well. It was awesome, but kinda scary at the same time. :stare:

Also just wanted to add in that Stalker Anole is the best thing ever. :3:

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Greycious posted:

Took some more pictures of some of my critters yesterday/today that needed some update. And uploaded some other random ones I had.

Have to share this picture of my favorite girl garg:

Cookie just has such a great personality, eats good, and I love her short and wide bulldog-like head. She's also a good layer, and had roughly 8 offspring last year. Hoping for another successful season with her this year. :3:

I'm not really into gargs, but drat that is one adorable gargoyle grin. :3:

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Cultured Snail posted:

Also here is a handful of E. agricolae hatchlings because they are adorablllle.

I feel like a total creeper commenting on this on Pangea and here, but day-ummmmm! :swoon: I can't get over the pure awesomeness!

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

I could have sworn they sold that stuff or something equivalent at home depot. Or do they, but it's just super expensive?

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

nesbit37 posted:

Does anyone here had a successful experience with leachies and live plants? This has always been an issue, and the only plants that keep coming back some larger bromolids like aechmea fasciata and pothos (because nothing can kill pothos! :black101: )

I did find some more useful links in my searching this time, like this:
http://neherpetoculture.com/geckoplants.htm

and this:
http://www.geckotime.com/a-primer-for-planted-vivariums/

and I emailed the guy at NERD, as listed at the bottom of that first link, for recommendations on plants for larger geckos. I would still love to hear if you or someone you know has a leachie viv with live plants and the leachie didn't go all :tbear: to the place after a few weeks.

I'd also be curious to know the answer to this, as I'm getting a leachie hopefully at the next show I'd attend. I would like to get into live vivs eventually, but everything I've heard about leachies and live plants has sounded pretty disastrous so far!

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

OwlbearHug posted:

I've been thinking a lot about getting another snake: My first snake was an albino cornsnake that my Dad bought me when I was four, I named him Rex because as a little girl I was in love with dinosaurs. I loved him and as i grew older i gained more and more responsibility until i took care of him 100%. When we went away to college for my final year he passed away (he was 18) and I didn't have the heart to get another reptile...

Rex was very easy to handle and I only was bit twice in his lifetime so I would like another chill buddy. I've really been researching western Hognoses but I don't have a particular favourite for colouring/morphs, as they all seem beautiful to me.

I guess the biggest question I have is how to locate a good breeder and I am in northern Alberta right now so I am worried about them being shipped up from too far away. they are usually very careful right? Do they drive or Fly?

There seems to be so many places online with so many animals i just cant figure out who is a responsible handler.

A price range would be interesting as well because i've seen anything from $680-900 American.

Your story about Rex is incredibly sweet. :unsmith:

I got my western hognose at a local reptile show, he's a plain normal morph, and cost $50.00.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Yeah my guys have been slowing down too. Still gaining weight though, just...not cleaning out like half of their bowls like normal. Mango's finally hit 10 grams, now maybe sexing the bugger will be a little easier!

I feel like I asked this in the end of the last thread but can't remember, but any goons heading to the Hamburg PA show on the 25th of this month? Hopefully I'll be making it. :) Tough decisions though, I can't decide what I most want to pick up! I'll either come home with a chewie, a phelsuma grandis or MAYBE a female crestie if I find one that's particularly stunning. But I also reaaaaally want to grab up one of those babies from Mrs. and Mr. Gatorbelly come shipping weather. ;) (at least I hope!)

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Oh...my... god. :3:!!!!

So our very own Cultured Snail offered some of her E. Agricolae babies up for sale last night! And after emailing and spending a night doing this :derp: I woke up this morning to find out I was the first person to email about the one I wanted! I pretty much exploded with excitement. I am SO giddy to finally be able to get one of these guys! I cannot wait for shipping weather so my new little guy can get here!! I just had to share with you guys. :)

Here's a link to the specific one I'll be getting. How stunning! I think I'll be keeping the name too, it's too adorable to change! :D I am so happy right now. Nothing has been able to ruin my day since I found out. :3:

http://www.jbscresties.com/flicker.jpg

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Captain Foxy posted:

You lucky bastard :argh:

Congrats! It's my own fault for not watching the site, but ohhh I wanted one! I totally get your excitement; they're just lovely little things.

Ahh well. I need to focus on building racks and preparing for a leachie baby anyway, so it's probably for the best.

I really did luck out! I just so happened to be on facebook the SECOND she linked to her page saying she had added a few new geckos for sale. I was like :aaa:

We just put together a nice awesome rack in our room, it makes things sooo much easier! I'll take pictures of it one day. Corn snake and dubia colony on the bottom, cresties the next level up, and reptile/miscellaneous pet supplies on top. Our hognose is on a table by himself though, he's cool like that I guess. I'm going to be preparing for a leachie baby here myself soon, it is going to be my boyfriend's new baby. All the geckos have kind of been 'mine' so far I guess, so this baby leachie will be his very first rhac. :3:

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Captain Foxy posted:

How did you set up your rack, if you don't mind my asking? And what's your heat source?

I want to DIY my own but I'm a little :ohdear: about wiring Flexwatt because I feel that I have a strong possibility of burning myself and my pets to the ground....which I would like to avoid.

ETA: And clearly you need to post a thousand pictures of the agricolae baby when it arrives!

I actually cheated on my rack, it wasn't DIY, I just found I had one of these laying unused and forgotten about in the corner of my garage:

It's been absolutely wonderful, and the shelves are adjustable. :) I use a UTH for my dubias to keep them a little warmer to motivate them to breed, and a little heat lamp for my corn and hognose respectively. My room is already on the warm side, so I'm lucky enough that the temps stay between 68-75 in the winter and 72-82 in the summertime, so the rhacs are fine. I do really love a good DIY rack though, so I hope you give us photos!

And yes! There will be an aggie picture overload once my little guy arrives. Which, if the weather stays as bizarrely warm as it's been, might be sooner rather than later! :D

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Wow some of these CL stories are... Wow. :stare:

The only time I've ever used CL to sell an animal was to rehome my boyfriends cobalt blue tarantula. I guess we lucked out, the person who responded was incredibly familiar with tarantula care.

The only other time I've sold an animal I used the Pangea trade section because I hadn't heard of the Fauna Classifieds yet. Those people were super friendly, they even sent updated pictures to me like 6 months after I sold him (him being a male pastel BP). It was really cute. I love knowing he got a wonderful home. :3:

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Joshsfrogs.com sells springtail cultures, I was just there checking out their biovines and stumbled across them.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Speaking of Really Useful Boxes, I recently converted one into an extra tank. I'm going to eventually switch all my geckos over to bins, I think they look nice and are so much easier to move and clean. :)

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Big Centipede posted:

Welcome to the most addicting little shits you can possibly keep.

This. This times a thousand. Oh god.

Speaking of which, I picked up a new one myself today!

Also picked up my very first leachie! I'm in love already. :3:

MUST OWN ALL GECKOS :shepface:

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Angela Manaconda posted:

Paarthurnax

The best name. :3:

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

I love seeing your salamander pictures. :3: I really would like an axolotl one day, but I'm too worried I'll mess something up. :( They really are amazing though, at the reptile show I just went to a guy had a giant table full of them, from itty-bitty to huge!

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Shachi posted:

Thanks for all the info. You listed some of my concerns right off and some others I hadn't even thought of. Yeah one of my main concerns if being able to sell them off and coupled with that, being able to sell them off to responsible owners. Chahoua's also sound very interesting and fun, my only concern is how goddamn expensive they are. Convincing my g/f to let me buy a $300-$1000 animal is going to be tough when she's been pestering me for a diamond engagement ring, hehehe.

I'd like to more logistical details and will PM you. Anything I think is thread worthy I'll repost in here for other peoples benefit if you guys want. I just don't want to turn this into a rhac megathread.

If there are any other folks who are into breeding Rhac's I'd be interested to hear about logistics from you too!

Nesbit pretty much covered any big concerns, but I'm just going to echo that you can NEVER do enough research! I've had my rhacs for over two years now and this year will probably be my first ever year I'll be breeding. All I've done is research research research. And I STILL find myself asking questions and learning new things. Hopefully things will go well in my first season of breeding cresties, and then I might move on to try my hand at breeding a slightly more difficult species like chahoua or e. agricolae later on.

In other news, I hate waiting for good shipping weather. The worst part? The weather next week should be almost perfect for shipping on both ends, but I'll be out of town all of next week. :smith:

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

At the last reptile show I went to, one breeder had a handful of absolutely gorgeous CBB tokay juvies. I am still regretting not picking one up, tokays are one of my personal favorite geckos that I've never had the pleasure of keeping.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Speaking of viper geckos, they seem incredibly hard to find. I haven't seen any specific breeders who have them, I just find that they pop up occasionally on the fauna classifieds. Anyone have any better luck?

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Shachi posted:

I know there were a couple goons who bred cresties but I can't find the posts and don't remember names. I'm in the midst of modding a tank and will have it planted within the next few weeks. I'm taking my time purchasing the animals I want and trying out all my options.

If there are any goons breeding cresteds or have hatchlings/adults for sale feel free to PM me. I'm just trying to weigh out all my options and the prospect of buying from some one I sort of know and is a small time breeder makes me feel better than buying from these "famous breeders" with 5000 animals and selling off half their stock to chain pet stores.

EDIT: Right now I'm looking for geckos with nice structure, crowned/pinners etc. more than I am concerned with coloration. I do however have a soft spot for Dals.

I'm not breeding yet, but I know JBsCresties.com always has consistently awesome babies and is generally just awesome. She's also a goon! :) There are a ton of breeders on places like the Fauna and Kingsnake classifieds, but if you want to buy from a smaller breeder I recommend checking out the Pangea forums trade section.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Mine also go nuts for sliced up potatoes and dry plain oatmeal.

^^Oh, you said potatoes too. :doh: Well I second it!

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Trilineatus posted:

As an aside, if anyone is purchasing any new supplies for their critters, I HIGHLY recommend New England Herpetoculture ( http://www.neherpetoculture.com/ ) - I had a package stolen off of my porch (because everyone in the ghetto needs a fern) and their customer service was excellent!

I second this! Just earlier today I was picking out stuff to get from them once I get paid. They have a ton of stuff at great prices!

And in other news... guess what I got yesterday!

My Eurydactylodes Agricolae! :D I've been so excited to get this guy, and he's even more awesome than I expected! (And so tiny!)

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Big Centipede posted:

Oh wow, not many people keep Eurydactylodes. Very cool. What's it's temperment like? I imagine they're more skittish than Rhacs.

I'm quite excited to be keeping one, although I feel like finding a female in his future will be rather difficult. I haven't done much handling yet as I just got him, but he was actually much more... deliberate than my rhacs. No quick jolts anywhere or leaps of faith or anything! Relatively slow moving too, it was kind of refreshing. I expected skittishness as well, but was very surprised. He just kind of scoots along. :3:

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

If you google "The Gex Files", Debbie has pairs of both Agricolae and Vieillardi and did side by side shots of both. The difference is pretty cool! And I promise once he settles in a little more, there will be a big ol' photoshoot. ;)

Here's the link: http://www.the-gex-files.nl/indexeng.php?pagina=pages/vs_eng

Cultured Snail posted:

Hypnotoad, it shouldn't be too difficult to track down a female. They really are not difficult to produce, just not a ton of people working with them yet, so just keep an eye out. I love the finger-hugging little bastards so much.

Thanks CS! :) I hope that's the case. I've been seeing pairs pop up more frequently on Fauna recently, so I have my fingers crossed that by the time my little fellow is a little bigger finding a lady won't be a problem. Is Felipe adult size yet? And in other news, after seeing pictures of Humphrey, my boyfriend is absolutely smitten!

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Great looking viv, and great looking geckos! They're stunning now, and are only going to get better with age! Eric at Mendel Geckos is a super cool guy. :)

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Soooo now that he's been here a week, here are some quick photos of my E. Agricolae! I apologize for the slight blur on some, he's so little sometimes the camera won't focus well on him.

He really is a cool little guy, I've been loving every minute of him. :)

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Celery Face posted:

What a pretty shade of blue! Or is it just the light?

It's actually just the light. He can go anywhere from a really really light greenish like that to a super dark color when he fires up.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Is there a favorite cricket dusting powder for cresteds amongst goons?

I just got this a few weeks ago to try (I had points to spend! :3: ), I'm liking it a lot so far:

http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-repti-calcium-with-d3.html

But I might still switch over to this eventually, I like that you can choose the level of D3 you want:

http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/supercal.html

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Speaking of feeder insect diet, has anyone tried the Repashy Bug Burger? I think I'm going to try it out next time I make a big reptile order, I met someone at a show who told me it was great, but I'd love some other opinions.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

drat nesbit, that's cool as hell! Thanks for sharing those! The picture of the gravid chewie is awesome!

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Hey guys! So it was relatively warm out this past weekend so my boyfriend and I tried to go herping in my grandparent's woods. Unfortunately it must have still been a little too cold for any snakes, but I did find a couple things!

I believe it's a Dusky Mountain Salamander (Desmognathus ochrophaeus). I'm really bad at identification, so if anyone has another opinion please chime in! And even though this was the only little salamander I found, I was quite excited, because around 6 years ago there was pretty much NOTHING found in the area due to pollutants in the stream. Yay! :)

We also found quite a few of these things, do you guys have any idea what it was? Some kind of insect obviously, but I've never seen one of these before! It's kind of creepy.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys! Yeah I'm really amazed at how much better the stream has been getting over the last few years, we even saw a bunch of itty-bitty fish in it this time around! Here's to hoping it'll just keep getting better. :) And thanks OneTwentySix for the fixed ID! I was hoping you'd pop in with your sweet salamander knowledge. I'm in central MD, by the way, if that helps.

In a few weeks when it REALLY starts to get warmer, I'll definitely go back out and hopefully find some more cool things. :)

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

5er posted:

Oh my goodness he is just the cutest :3:

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Those are both really nice geckos!! Nice pinning and patten! Although I shouldn't be surprised, Eric's geckos are super awesome, always. Can't wait to see more pictures of them as they grow up. :3:

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Ohmygawd Greycious, that garg with the yellow "eyeliner" is just.... Eeeee. :3:

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

ZarathustraFollower posted:

The one animal none of the keepers like to deal with because they don't want to get bit? any of the 4 leachies, all of which I'm cleared to work on

This absolutely cracked me up. :3:

I can't wait to hear more stories from your internship/volunteering! I'd love to be able to do something like that one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

That gecko is in really, really lovely condition and you should probably take it to a vet asap. It looks like it has pretty advanced MBD from those photos on top of the awful shed, and considering it's only been fed applesauce (holy poo poo what) it's pretty much guaranteed. It needs to get on repashy CGD immediately, and no more applesauce. And yes, they need to be separated especially if one is that much bigger than the other. And you should definitely try to q-tip off the shed if you can. I've never used mineral oil on my reptiles so I can't chime in on that. I've never seen a crested with that bad of a shed, are they not misting it ever? Jesus christ that's hosed up. It definitely didn't lose it's tail from "normal" circumstances (being startled, etc.), it's unbelievably stressed from MBD, low humidity, and a larger cagemate that probably bullies the hell out of it.

Fake edit: I apologize if this comes off as snippy as hell, and I know it's not your gecko, but your friend's brother obviously neglected these animals and it makes me mad. Poor baby. :( I really hope it can pull through this.

• Locked thread