Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Getting my creamsicle on the first page of the new thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

hyperhazard posted:

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question...

When you use this bedding, do you transfer your snakes to a substrate-free tank when feeding them? I can't imagine ingesting any type of bedding is good for them, but if this doesn't have harmful ingredients, then it's probably better than aspen.

(I gave my sister my 10 gallon over x-mas, and am trying to decide whether or not to buy another separate feeding tank for my BP)

Any wood is a harmful substance in a snake's belly. Also, feeding them outside of the cage is said to make them less likely to bite because they associated the cage with food. My snake goes into a paper grocery bag with chip clips at the top to eat. He has a habit of making huge watery poops immediately after he eats, so I just dump him back into the cage when he's done and throw the bag away each time.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

My corn was a bitey rear end in a top hat when I got him and I couldn't even hold him at all barehanded. I started handling him with rubber kitchen gloves until he tamed down. It would probably help with the thermal sensing thing as well.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

RebBrownies posted:

Hi everyone :)

So I recently fell in love with the idea of getting a cornsnake. I think pythons are absolutely beautiful but I think I'm going to wait to move on to bigger snakes :)

Anyway I'm still researching about cornsnakes to make sure that I don't jump into anything and end up not providing the proper environment for the animal :(

Can anyone give me a rough estimate for the price of a proper environment for a single adult cornsnake, excluding the electricity for the bulbs :) I just wanted to make a checklist of what I need and see if I can afford to take care of one :)

Also I have been looking around on Faunaclassifieds for captive bred cornsnakes. Captive bred cornsnakes will be friendlier right? :)
Do pet stores traditionally sell captive bred or captured snakes? :)

Aspen bedding. Undertank heater. Thermostat. Lid. Lid clips. Aquarium. Hides. Mice. Water bowl. I would say about $100 plus $50 for the snake to start. You should check for reptile shows where you live, they will have a much better variety of morphs than most pet stores. Here's my heating setup: http://amzn.to/JTzpOP. If you want to be cheap about it just throw in a tupperware container for water and some paper towel tubes or boxes with a side cut out for hides.

lwoodio fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 2, 2012

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Anyone in Columbus or Cincinnati want to adopt a year old creamsicle corn? I gave it away before moving in with a snake phobic and it didn't work out and he was given back to me, so I can only keep him for a little bit.

• Locked thread