Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

This is basically BSL for snakes and it's just as retarded. I could understand making folks get permits if they're that worried about it, but banning them is stupid.

And it's not like they can even -enforce- the state to state thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Burms are gorgeous and all, but I'd never own one. That doesn't mean folks shouldn't be allowed to own one. :colbert:

Remember when animal planet wasn't that bad?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Can I suggest green anoles for that? Because I've never actually seen them kept properly in person.

E: My corns-

Harley:

Joker:

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 19, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Malalol posted:

Oh, herpy terminology would be cool. Why get CB, WC things to avoid... and why people go around using 1.0.0 numbers. The important of heating, uvb/a (before somebody goes and sticks a tank by a closed window or use an ordinary lightbulb), humidity, etc.

I'm not sure what animals are still mostly wild caught, most vendors at shows and occasionally pet stores will have the 'cb' label but many do not and the sales people probably give no fks about knowing.

Probably? give no fucks about knowing? But this is a great idea too.

Zorak, I don't keep the little guys but they fascinate me and I think they're adorable. I just won't be having them for another 15-ish years. I'm worthless for information, but I hope yours are alright.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Corridor posted:

This is kind of dumb but I'm not quite sure where else to ask: Are baby snakes poisonous? Or dangerous in any way? My stupid cat brought one in from outdoors, it was about 25cm long and striking blindly. No idea what type, but since this is Australia it was likely a poisonous one.

The snake is fine, just pissed as hell. I think she was too curious to have tried mauling it yet. I shooed it outside. But I don't how long the cat had it before I noticed. She's not in obvious pain but the snake was striking all over the drat place while she was patting at its head.

Time to mow the lawn I guess. :v:

I'd have kept the snake and flew to a vet with that cat so fast. I hope your cat's okay, but man if your cat is getting struck at don't let the snake go if you can avoid it, or at least take a picture or something. :ohdear:

But yeah all the venomous baby snakes I know of are born venomous.

The only time I've had to feed live is when I had a hunger strike. Two weeks later, no problem, right back on f/t.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Holy gently caress, that crested gecko is terrifying.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Congratulations on your new WC green anole.

Also, isn't he really big for a wild anole? I've never seen a guy that large. Maybe I only saw babies, though?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Cresteds and leos are kept in single male/single female or multiple female groups all the time from my understanding. Unless I've been misinformed? :ohdear:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Is it possible he's a released/escaped pet?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

It's not just a ban of imports, though. You can't take burms across state lines anymore. If you move, you are basically a felon. (it's a felony, isn't it?)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Why are you microwaving the rat? I've always been told to avoid doing that since you can cook parts of it or get parts too hot or whatever.

I feed outside the tank 99% of the time because I'm relatively sure they would try to oreo dunk the mouse in their water.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

hyperhazard posted:

:)

More like :downs: I totally saw 'heating the rat'. I have no idea how.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You know, I'm sitting here googling and maybe I'm just not googling good poo poo. Foxy mentioned some plants for vivs, but I was looking to expand on that as far as plant needs and whatnot (light, water, etc) and species. I took the duo of crested that Greycious was offering up in the old thread and the little guys are doing great. Since they're little I have plenty of time to grow and work with a tank for each of them just.. I can't seem to find a good place to really start off so I can figure out exactly what supplies I'm gonna need. Anybody got a preferred link?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I think it looks outstanding, man.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydroton-GMHT10L-Hydroponic-Rocks-Liter/dp/B000FCPDFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327677943&sr=8-1 is what we're talking about, right?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

hypnotoad posted:

I could have sworn they sold that stuff or something equivalent at home depot. Or do they, but it's just super expensive?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202985175/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 It's about $30 a bag in my neck of the woods but home depot tends to vary their prices all over the place.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Stanfield posted:

I'm heavily considering getting a snake, but despite the reasearch I've done so far I really feel like I have no idea about anything but the most basic of basics, so I have two questions really:

What are some good, easy to understand sites that have a lot of information about getting/looking after snakes, along with the ones in the OP? And do diamond pythons make good beginner snakes (although I don't how many Australians there are here so this might be harder to answer)?

Are you comfortable with dealing with a 2.5 meter long snake? Some get bigger than that, too. You're going to need a big cage, too, at adult size.

http://www.dolittlefarm.com.au/docs/diamonds.pdf Some of this is moronic (feeding with your fingers, letting your snake go wander about in the grass to take a poo poo, etc) but it should give you a bit here and there of what you're getting into.

I think http://www.anapsid.org/ is still pretty much the go to for your primer stuff on a lot of critters.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Can they kill humans at that length? I thought it was 10 feet and up that was more apt to be capable of that.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Well what snake you plan on getting is really going to determine what kind of enclosure you need. Some snakes are going to be misted once a day, others are going to need humidity kept super crazy high. Generally you need substrate, a heating pad or tape or something along those lines, a screen top and clamps for it, the enclosure, hydrometer (humidity percentage show thingy), thermometer, probe thermometer, a hide on either side, a water bowl and.. then it kinda goes for what kind of snake you have. Arboreal (climbing snakes) are going to want branches and height. Ground dwelling snakes are probably going to want a substrate to burrow in a bit.

I'd say decide on your snake species and then go from there as far as looking at care sheets and stuff. Because some of that stuff I listed up there changes if you're not using an aquarium and you're using instead say, a 100qt plastic box.

I didn't know you guys had to have licenses down there though. This is what the site I linked earlier says about them: http://www.dolittlefarm.com.au/docs/spotted.pdf

The thing about reptiles is, you can't really go "what do I need for a snake" like you would a dog or a cat. You kinda gotta get a little more specific since there's a difference between caring for different species to the extent that good advice for one species may not be good advice for the other.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:3: Just be prepared to walk out with way more than you intended to purchase. For futher reading, read the old thread and just look for the words 'reptile show' and see how often people came back empty handed.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:3: I got chewed up by the angriest little corn snake baby I've ever met. She ferociously charged my hand while I was popping her, twisted around and bit me. And then tried to swallow the side of my hand, because gonna eat that hand. When she realized she couldn't eat my hand she spit it out, eyeballed me then rattled her tail and s'd up. Then she bit me again. I offered her back to the other guy and as soon as he took her? She bit him too.

They're just so cute and mad when they're little.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Lord Knight Impulse Buy the Six Thousandth. Call him Impulse for short.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CL around here is pretty brain numbing. Noone bothers to look up morphs. I've seen more amel/anery/butter corns listed around here as 'albinos'. There's a ton of trolls too. And selling anything is pretty ridiculous. Apparently the dudes that go to the yard sales usually just go to case houses too. Awesome, right?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You guys really need to take about a thousand pictures.

How do you feed bugs anything? I mean, crickets you just toss the chunks in. Do you just sprinkle yeast on top of the substrate for these little guys?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I never knew plastic bins were so useful until I got into reptiles.

I was looking at crested geckos the other night, getting all the morphs down and everything. I ended up dreaming that Balen had the eyebrows and pinstriping down his back with harlequin markings and a brightly colored tail.

Then he dropped it on me. :gonk:

I've got the two cresteds sort of trusting me (if I put my fingers in front of them a couple of times they'll climb up). Am I going about the right speed or am I not handling them enough?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I Am Hydrogen posted:

E: I also have a betta fish and he loves me. He follows my finger around the bowl when I move it. I think that's proof enough of my petmanship.

I wanna hear about your fishy so I, too, can scold you. :3:

I think the PI PES picture thing is at least partially a joke and tends to gear more toward mammals, which everyone takes ten thousand pictures of anyway. I got a couple pictures of the cresteds when they first got here to show Greycious that they got here safe and everything but I've largely left them alone with the camera after that. But I'm kinda with Cowslips in letting critters settle in before you get camera crazy on them. If I'm going "omg pictures :neckbeard: " in a thread I'd rather the animal be comfortable with the picture taking.

What's the other crested look like, hydrogen?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I can't believe you glassbeadazzled their stuff. There won't be any issues with the glass getting too hot? Because it's awesome.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

I found a 1 yr old crested gecko on Craigslist I've been talking to the owner about. For a nominal fee I get the gecko, cage, and a whole crate of heat lamps and supplies that could be used on other setups. I asked about temps and food and I was told kept at 'normal' room temps with feeding Repashi 3 times a week and crickets once or twice a week which seems to be in the normal feeding ranges? I'd like to give an animal a good home, they want to give it up because their job requires them more and more to be away and they don't like having to constantly talk to their room mate about care. Does this sound like something to look into? Just going off of dollar value its about 1/3 what everything would cost brand new retail.

Get it, send it to me, otherwise you're going to end up with like 500 of them because oh my god they are the most addictive little guys. I've been sick as gently caress for the past couple of weeks and I think I've spent like 15% of my time cooing over cresteds and working with my two. They are impossibly cute.

Speaking of, would it be normal for a little 4.5g gecko to develop portholes that late? I know patterns change and all, but I want to make sure I'm not crazy. The little flame is slowly getting perfect little white round dots, three each side, in a little line. Oh, and apparently I smelled like food last time I was handling it. I ended up getting licked a few times.

Superconsndar posted:

Nope, I have an under the tank heater and I tested it without the geckos in it for about 48 hours before adding them, I stuck some little felt pads to the bottom of it to lift it slightly off the bottom of the tank which seems to insulate it pretty well.

HOWEVER, they are completely freaked out by it and have stayed completely stressed all week and don't want eat/come out at all. I think the beads are too reflective and it confuses the hell out of them and they're not happy, so I'm going to have to take it down this weekend and I'm so mad because I spent like 5 hours bedazzling that thing and I love it :negative:

Aww, that's unfortunate. I wonder if they'd be okay with it if you used matte beads? Or can they see colors/faintly see colors and the mix would bother them?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

In general I think the rule is to pick up Petco's guides to laugh at them and that website is generally pretty well received across most reptile boards on the internet.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Repashy Crested Gecko Diet is pretty much what the vast majority of crested owners feed in the US and in some parts overseas. There's other mixtures out there too by different companies of course.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Sir Nigel posted:

I'm going to be purchasing a Anery B (Charcoal) corn snake soon and I've cared for snakes in the past but this will be my first time owning my own and setting up a habitat on my own. I'm going to be using a 55 gal habitat and have just about everything I would need already but I have a question about lighting. I've seen a lot about the need for UVB but the anapsid site doesn't cover individual species need for UVB and so I've come to PI and this thread in specific for advice. I have the enclosure pretty much set up. An undertank heating pad coupled with a thermostat, in tank humidity guage and multiple thermometers and the tank is currently about 83/85 on the hot side and about 70/75 on the cool side. Multiple hides and some other stuff for the snake to climb on but I'm holding off getting the actual snake until I figure out the light situation. I have a dual bulb light bar and I currently just have a pair of F18T8 daylight bulbs that were I'm assuming for a salt water tank or live plant vivarium. I'm assuming they're the 18" variety based on the fact that the tank is 48" wide.

My question for PI is what type of UVB lights a 2, 5 or 10 would I need and am I right in assuming that I can keep the daylight bulb for the cool side and use the UVB bulb for the hot side? I'm assuming that I'll need some type of UVB lighting.

I don't use any bulbs on my corns except florescent tank lighting. Some folks feel better giving it, but they don't need it.

85 is digesting heat, 70 is fine. You sound like you've already got everything you need, man. Just don't be surprised if your corn is a giant lazy rear end in a top hat and doesn't really do a lot of climbing.

E: VVVV If you're feeding repashy, it is indeed optional. However, it's still a good thing for'em. I throw crickets in about once every two weeks.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 12, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I've never so much as seen a CB tokay. :smith: I really like them and all, but I prefer stuff that can't take my knuckle off if it gets pissed off at me. For now, anyway.

Mostly because of the moving thing. Kind of like Phelsuma madagascariensis grandis (P. madagascariensis grandis? I'm not sure what the abbreviation is here). I would adore having a few of them, especially blues, but there's just no way I could provide for them or any phelsuma in the long term right now. So tokays, phelsumas, striped cal kings, albino banded florida kings, O. aestivus (or vernalis) and brooks are all kind of a dream thing. Y'know. Some day. :allears:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

hypnotoad posted:

I'm not breeding yet, but I know JBsCresties.com always has consistently awesome babies and is generally just awesome. She's also a goon! :) There are a ton of breeders on places like the Fauna and Kingsnake classifieds, but if you want to buy from a smaller breeder I recommend checking out the Pangea forums trade section.

I hope beyond hope that JB got something amazing for Wasabi. I would have likely considered selling organs for that lizard. It's just too bad I didn't have any geckos to trade, because drat, man. Gorgeous.

I also kinda hope she's not getting flak for taking a trade or something. There was some moron being pissed off on her facebook over it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Shachi posted:

I need an experienced crested gecko breeder goon/goonette for some advice. I've been talking to
Nesbit a while and he's been a huge help but I need someone that's still dealing with cresteds.

I know there's a couple goons (JBs Cresties) but I don't know their forum names. I needs advice on a potential 1.1 purchase and would like an expert opinion/eye to see if it's worth it. PM me if you can or I can post pics in the forum (I'm kind of reluctant as I don't want someone scooping up my deal).

Three days ago I thought you said you had a month of prep left, man? Are they gonna be able to hold them that long or d'you have somewhere else to put them?

:ohdear: I'm not trying to be a hassle or anything. I'm just curious.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Roach breeder people, what do you feed your roaches as a staple?

E: VVVV Any particular sort of dog food? I can't seem to find a decisive x amount is too much protein/x amount is too much carbs for CG feeders.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 19, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tarentola chazaliae/helmeted gecko? Or am I completely off? :ohdear:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Celery Face posted:

I don't really want a snake anymore. I think the entire reason I've been geeking out over them for the past few weeks is because I'm thinking about getting a reptile, I love reptiles and I'm looking over and researching the hell out of ones I've often been thinking about getting. I'm not one to buy pets on impulse.

I really like Bearded Dragons. They're so funny! Does anyone here own one and could tell me what they're like?

Beardies are awesome. But if you can't decide, can you go to a local reptile shop or show or even sit and look at one of the big reptile stores online? You can see a vast collection of reptiles, see what'll interest you and google care sheets to see what they require. Then you can break down a list of what you like and what you're willing to do to take care of the reptile. :)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Celery Face posted:

All the Bearded Dragons I see around here are babies. I heard babies are harder to take care of than adults but I think I can handle it.

I've got my eye on an aquarium at the pet store that has front open doors. I think it might be an Exo Terra aquarium and larger than 40 gallons. It's also at least 245 dollars.

Will keeping a baby in a really big tank stress it out unless I keep the tank simple? I heard paper towels will suffice as substrate. Is that true?

If money is an issue, wait until around June (it's only 2-3 more months) and Petco should be doing their $1 per gallon sale again. It won't open in the front, but hell, it's a lot cheaper than $245. :) Unless you really want the open in the front thing.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Is there a favorite cricket dusting powder for cresteds amongst goons?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Ah, good. That's the stuff I've been using. Calv didn't want to eat his crickets last time so I wanted to be sure it was just him being a dick and not something else.

My hands were wet yesterday while I was handling them. He found the little space between my index finger and my thumb and sat licking it for a bit. :3: And by the way, Greycious, you can't even tell their tails apart anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

nesbit37 posted:

As long as you are upfront about the eyes and make sure the person knows what they are getting I don't see an ethical conflict.

Yeah, this right here. If you tell them the problem in the ad or whatever, it's not like you're trying to hide it. v:shobon:v some people don't mind animals with issues.

• Locked thread