Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I thought the burn population in Florida got knocked down pretty good when that cold snap happened a while back?

Either way, that's quite sad, but not really surprising considering the media slant and those f

ucking awful animal planet shows about KILLER SNAKES. I watched one a while back that basically came right out and said that anyone who owns snakes is bugfuck crazy and just seeking attention. gently caress animal planet and gently caress the scare tactics that pushed this through.

Also, if I recall correctly, this originally included all constrictors. Odd that they left out retics, not that I'm complaining-I'd rather not have to become a criminal just because I want to move to a different state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I would have no problems at all with permits being required to own large snakes. I really don't think some 15 year old should be able to walk into a pet store and walk out with a baby burm. 9 out of 10 people are not qualified or prepared to own a large snake.

gently caress, it's like pulling teeth to convince half of the experienced keepers to even follow the six foot rule.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I know we're really piling it on you here, but maybe we should have a common misinformation section too? Things like why you should never use heat rocks, why live feeding is dangerous, not using calcium sand, ect.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I've always fed in cage and never noticed any cage aggression from any of my snakes, but then again I've had them all for years. My guys will occasionally go two or three weeks without really being handled beyond a bit of cleaning/water changes. My retic will get a little more alert around feeding day and also tends to bang around his cage as if to say "OK, I'm hungry here, feed me or no sleep for you" but that's about it.

It always seemed to me that, particularly for problem feeders, being pulled out and moved and fed and then moved again would be more stressful for the snake. Also seems like it'd be easier to get bitten handling a snake that's still in "feeding mode". I guess it depends on how quickly your animals calm down after eating, though. Riley would probably take a nip at me if I tried to handle him right after he ate, he stays in food mode for a good 24 hours after a rat.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Anhedonia posted:

Hey, I'm a new owner of a beautiful baby blue panther chameleon. I'm not really sure what to expect to be honest, at the store he was really playful and crawling all over me but now that I brought him home (in a really nice 2 foot by 4 foot terrarium with tons of plants for him to climb on) he's nervous and reserved. I know I'm jumping the gun because I only got him yesterday but I really want him to like me! Is there anything I can do or is this just a patience exercise?

Not really. As others pointed out, reptiles aren't anything like most pets in terms of what people generally think of when they get an animal-they aren't affectionate or playful. The absolute best you can really hope for with a reptile is them being relaxed enough with you to use you as a heat source.

Also it sounds like you're trying to handle him a lot, which is something you want to avoid with a new reptile. Give him a week or two to settle in and make sure he's eating well first. Even then chams aren't really hands on reptiles, they prefer to be left alone.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Stolen from the Cute and Adorable thread in PYF.

I know this dude is certified crazy but damned if it isn't still adorable. This is the mellowest ol' croc ever.

http://www.wimp.com/lovescrocodiles/

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Every time I see pics of baby turtles I want one really badly for about five minutes, and then I remember how messy they are and what assholes they are and how big they get. :sigh:

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
So I did a thing today. :3:

Baby albino Blood Python! :neckbeard: He is so pretty, the pic does him no justice at all, but he's gotta settle in and start eating for me before I can do a real photo shoot. I think he needs to gain a little weight too-does he seem just a smidge skinny for a blood? What do you guys think?

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Big Centipede posted:

Beautiful blood, man. I would ask how its temperment is, but I can probably guess :)

It doesn't look skinny to me, but its hard to tell with bloods.

He's actually not bad, a little flighty, but he hasn't tried to bite yet. Unlike the other three I handled, who all seemed to take personal offense at my very existence. Day spent dodging baby snake bites = best day. :3:

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Is there anything I might have sitting around the house that I can use to be a sort of buffer between the heating pad and my blood? He keeps burying himself in the substrate and sitting right on the glass on top of it, and I'm worried that it's too hot.

Or do I need to go to Petco and get some drat cage carpet for this little pain in the rear end?

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Gorgeous babies! I'm generally a python gal but grey bandeds are one of the few colubrids I want. Quit tempting me, I just bought a snake! :argh:

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Does anyone know what might cause a sudden attitude shift in a retic? He's a dwarf (Jampea) and about four years old. He's always been the most mellow snake but in the last couple of months has gotten a hell of a nasty temperament. He nailed my husband on the shoulder the other day and has gotten pretty much unhandleable. We've had him checked out by the vet of course, and all seems to be well.

It's a little annoying that he waited til he was pushing nine feet to become an rear end in a top hat. :argh:

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Big Centipede posted:

Hard to say. If all the care is the same and it's not sick, maybe he's just horny?

We were wondering if it might be sexual maturity, actually. Unfortunately we're a little low on girlfriends for him.

I'm just curious if it's something he'll grow out of or if I'm stuck with prick Riley forever.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I've always loved the look of bull snakes, but it seems like no one really keeps them. Are they pretty easy care wise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
It's probably less petco deliberately lying and more that their vendors lie to them. I know ours insisted all the stuff they sent us was CB when it was blatently clear they weren't. This was confirmed when a red foot tortoise we took to the vet turned out to have some species of south american tick all over it, they ended up getting reported to...whatever agency controls animal imports, I forget which one.

• Locked thread