Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Is there any good sites or books specifically for crested geckos? I really love the look of them, but I have zero knowledge of what is meant by UVB lights and heat mats and everything else they need :ohdear:

Is there even any good/reputable breeders of cresteds in the UK? We don't have reptile shows or anything here afaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

nesbit37 posted:

For sites I would recommend you check out the rhepashy forums and pangea forums as two good places for general care information. I know you have breeders in the UK because I see them pop up once in a while, but I couldn't name anyone specific. There are a good number of people who work with rhacodactylus in N. Europe and Germany.

This isn't exactly close to you, but if you have problems finding things in the UK and it is possible for you to do a little travel you could head to the Hamm show in germany. Its one of the biggest reptile shows in the world and one advantage to it is that a lot of US breeders will sell their animals online and then ship them the Hamm show for their European customers to pick up. I don't know all the specifics, but I think it just works out well for everyone when it comes to import regulations, tarrifs, etc.

Thanks for the recommendations for sites/forums, I'll definitely check them out. The books are a little out of my price range though!

I definitely wouldn't be able to go to Germany for some cresteds, unfortunately. It just isn't feasible, financially or time-wise or anything.

Captain Foxy posted:

Fraction, I posted a brief overview on the first page, but basically you don't need a UVB light, just a heat mat, called an Under Tank Heater or UTH, and if your house is normally 60-70 degrees F, you may not even need one. Cresties are among the easiest reptiles to keep, since they eat Repashy, don't need much external heat and aren't easily stressed by handling.

JB's Cresties site has an excellent caresheet, as well as the one on Pangea forums.

I would totally go to the Hamm show if I were you, and I will have to go sometime anyway! It's a huge variety of reptiles, some rarer than others, and is probably the best herp show out there. There's a couple based in Rotterdam, Netherlands who breed amazing geckos; google up The Gex Files. I'd get one of their babies in a heartbeat and I'm stupidly envious because shipping to your location wouldn't be super expensive.

I thought I'd seen an overview, but I couldn't find it when I looked again :doh: I'd probably need an external heat source, since the house is pretty cold in general.

Do you have any personal info on cresteds? Are they friendly, or is their attitude toward handling more tolerance than enjoyment? I've never had reptiles, only mammals.

Is shipping reptiles really not all that expensive? I'd imagine getting anything into the UK would be awfully costly, and I'm only a poor student.

Celery Face -
If you're living at home and have pets anyway... it's difficult. I'm at university and have two dogs and four mice. I live at home and have to do a ~3 hour commute in/out of uni in order to keep my pets. They're my responsibility financially, and it is super difficult at times and that's with spending all of my time and money on my pets, basically. If you're anything less than 1000% committed (and if you don't have the agreement of parent/s in getting your pets) it'll just be a nightmare.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Cultured Snail posted:

I have some (a lot) of crested geckos. Most tolerate handling pretty well, the older geckos generally being more sedate than the babies, which jump a lot (but I kind of recommend buying a young one and handling it if that's your goal - when I purchase adults that aren't really handled much they can be skittish). I've never encountered one that appeared that it was seeking out being handled. They don't butt up against you or nuzzle into your hand like a mammal might. There are people that have argued with me and said their pet gecko totally ~loves~ being handled but my opinion is that cresties, for the most part, just tolerate it. Expecting more of them may cause you some disappointment down the road so I prefer to tell people not to get their hopes up for a huge meaningful bond or anything.

To be honest that's pretty much what I assumed. I'd prefer to be able to handle it when necessary (like cleaning out the tank or whatnot) and let it hang out maybe but I didn't really expect any reptile to be cuddly or really into handling. Thanks!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Is there a good, super basic how-to/FAQ type guide for leopard geckos? My aunt just impulse-bought a baby one and is apparently not even sure about things like how often to feed it. If I could send her a link to all the info she needs (in a neat, easy to understand format) that'd be great.

E:
V Absolutely perfect. Thank you!

Fraction fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 30, 2012

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Captain Foxy posted:

Crestie photo dump! I just happened to have my girlfriend's camera on me when everyone was out and about last night.

Holy poo poo, your cresties are so cute! I want them all.

I've been wondering--crestie setups are usually pretty full of things. Does it take a long time to clean them out, and how often do you have to do it? I imagine they crap all over the branches, etc.

I still want a crestie :saddowns:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

My friend recently got a bearded dragon, who is about a year and a half, from Pets At Home (he'd been there the entire time, and was pretty well looked after because the staff doted on him). They're having trouble getting him to eat his greens though, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

They've tried:

quote:

- wriggling food
- gut-loading food
- spraying food
- low bowl
- taking him out of house whilst feeding
- mixing with bugs
- 'starving' him a day
- making food more 'attractive'
- EVERY type of safe green/veg/fruit for beardies

just off the top of my head

At the moment they're just gut-loading the bugs, but that probably isn't the best for longterm.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

This is my friend's bearded dragon Hugo, who I asked about RE not eating his greens.

He's still not eating any/much of his greens. They're continuing to gutload the crickets with veg, and he eats a tiny amount of greens from when he eats a cricket that is on the bowl, but otherwise he isn't getting much. They still offer fresh veg every day though.

When I met him it was the first time I'd gotten to touch a lizard. Do they all feel so funny? He was such a little character too, he'd stare at something for ages and then charge toward it.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

There were some little baby turtles (I think? their tank was almost all water) in the pet shop I went into yesterday. They were so cute and little that I almost bought all of them :3: The man said that they grow to be about the size of your hand, and I was just wondering what kind of turtle they are; I forgot to ask him. Also how easy/hard are turtles to care for

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I was joking about getting some :shobon: I have zero experience with reptiles, and I just thought they were adorable. I was just curious to see how difficult they were to care for properly - obviously, since it's a crappy little pet shop, the guy pretty much downplayed it. I'm surprised that he downplayed how big females get though!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

That tokay is super pretty :3:

I was at an ~exotic pets~ pet shop today and one of the workers there claimed that adult crested geckos get as big as your arm. Is that... really true? I always thought at max, their body and tail size were like the size of a person's hand.

Also if anyone could ID this badass lizard for me that'd be cool. There wasn't a sticker on the tub and it looked so amazing holy poo poo. I want it :stare:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

It's the same pet shop that misgendered a rat and sells puppies so I am a-okay with believing that they're full of poo poo!

VVV

If he was talking about leachies he must have been crazy; we were stood in front of the crested tank, and I was indicating a crestie as we spoke.

I'm not gonna run out and get a tokay though, no worries. Just thought that guy was loving adorable!

Fraction fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 28, 2012

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Big Centipede posted:

Fan-footed gecko. They're almost all WC but make fairly easy captives.

Google tells me they need fairly strict temperature regulations (and a lot of other words that went sailing over my head). They sure are pretty though. They look like little raptors :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Pew! Pew! posted:

Doesn't Fraction breed mice too or am I remembering wrong? I wanted to try my hand at dicking around with rat genes at one point but I wouldn't be able to handle culling and vet bills of the adults :qq:.

Nah I've not bred a thing. I plan to byb rats one day when I'm not living with someone who would cry forever about culling though~

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

A friend of mine wants a snake, and has decided on a ball python. There's a lot of confusing/conflicting information out there (heat mat vs heat bulb vs both, glass viv vs wooden viv vs rub, etc) and I was wondering if anyone here who has or has had ball pythons could give me the rundown on them, or good resources to point my friend toward, ty :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

My friend has had a baby ball python (his second) for about a month now and it still hasn't eaten for him. He's trying twice a week, using mice pinkies. He's tried wiggling the pinkies, scenting them in a gerbils bedding, and braining. The snake was supposedly eating pinkies at the pet shop just fine.

A friend of his has suggested live, which obviously isn't something he wants for a number of reasons. Is there any sort of inside knowledge or tips to help him? His first python ate right away with no problem with the same heating and setup etc so we're stumped (and my snake knowledge is crap anyway).

• Locked thread