Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Hello Reptile lovers! Was in a sort of Amazing Race scavenger hunt on Saturday and this cute guy crawled on me. Can someone tell me what it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the quick response!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Now I'm thinking about getting started. Was looking at Rankin's dragon as a nice starter reptile but saw this ad which seems like a great deal for a beginner.
A friend at work has a snake, so I'm going to ask him about it and for other advice.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-pets/city-of-toronto/ball-python-10-months-50-gallon-tank-habitat/1009518522?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
If I get a young ball python (9-10 months) is it okay to use 50 gallon tank? Should I cut down the size by using some sort of partition in the aquarium? Or just give it several hides.
I don't want to buy a smaller aquarium now and then another one later when the snake outgrows it.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 24, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Thanks I'm sure I will have many questions over the next few years weeks.
Should all the hides and foliage be in place from the start? I'm asking because while the local store is happy to sell me everything right now, there's a reptile expo in 2 months and I was hoping to wait since there will be a lot more choices and variety there.
Maybe the snake doesn't care about aesthetics but I'd like the tank to display a nice habitat.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Triangulum posted:

You're probably better off having the tank decor set up beforehand, changing the environment a lot can really stress out sensitive snakes and make them go off feed. Plus if everything is set up before you move your snake in you'll be able to spend some time making sure your temps and humidity are stable beforehand rather than having to scramble to fix it after the fact.

Thanks for the advice, I didn't even think about that but it makes sense to get everything set up first, check the temps and stability and then get the snake and place it in the terrarium.
And probably leave it alone for a few days to get accustomed to its new surroundings.

edit: the local store is Menagerie. They have a pretty good rep and have been in business for a very long time.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Aug 26, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Fraction posted:

My friend has had a baby ball python (his second) for about a month now and it still hasn't eaten for him. He's trying twice a week, using mice pinkies. He's tried wiggling the pinkies, scenting them in a gerbils bedding, and braining. The snake was supposedly eating pinkies at the pet shop just fine.

A friend of his has suggested live, which obviously isn't something he wants for a number of reasons. Is there any sort of inside knowledge or tips to help him? His first python ate right away with no problem with the same heating and setup etc so we're stumped (and my snake knowledge is crap anyway).
They are nocturnal ambush predators so try feeding at night with the room very quiet. Ensure the mouse at or close to 100 degrees F. Thaw near enough that the snake can smell it, that can help put it into the mood to eat. Move it around inside the enclosure to really get the scent in the air - but don't let any excess water drip onto the substrate. Then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_MdBlknGqs

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

beyonder posted:

Decided to get my first snake. Still in the "lets make his/her first home pretty" phase but hey you gotta start somewhere.

Guestion: which one is easier for a beginner? Corn or hognose?

Have you considered a ball python? They are available in many different colourings, are very laid-back and don't move fast like a corn. Possible downsides are that they're shy and nocturnal.

big dig posted:

We also got babies. Here's some of the prettiest ball pythons from this years breeding project. I don't know poo poo about genetics, my wife and her hobby partner are all into that. I just feed and clean, also play with them.

That's an interesting pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

DrNutt posted:

Is there a trick to balls or something? Initially I wanted to get a ball python, but I ended up adopting a neglected corn snake (previous owners were feeding it one pinky a month and it was about a foot long at over a year old) and I've really enjoyed him. I work at a pet store that regularly has baby balls, and while I've never been struck, they always seem to be moody assholes. Is it something they grow out of? We took in a juvenile ball that was about three times as big as the babies to adopt out once, and he seemed just as much of a dick.

I'm just kind of intimidated because they get so much bigger around than a corn and I've yet to handle one that didn't seem one irritation away from biting the poo poo out of me. I wish I had the space for a red tail and/or didn't have any cats.
Maybe it seems moody because they're nocturnal, prefer the dark and you're bothering it in a brightly lit, noisy store when it wants to be asleep?

Only had a BP since September but he's been very chill. Has just hissed at me twice, both times when he was in his hide and I was awkwardly messing about in the enclosure - one time I was trying to put a vine in and dropped it on the hide, so it was my fault.

• Locked thread