Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Don't forget about the turtles!

I have to show off my Red-Eared Slider.

He was given to me in 1997, and was probably at least a couple years old when I got him. I've had him ever since.

Red-eared sliders make good and easy pets, and--as long as you maintain their tank well--aren't too messy. However, there are a lot of geographical restrictions on aquatic turtles, because they've been released to the wild outside their native ranges and have become invasive in some areas (They're native where I live). Aquatic turtles are also more of a "look at" pet than a "play with" pet, so make sure you do some research on your particular species before you think about caring for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
If you decide to keep this adorable baby turtle as a pet, keep in mind that they can live for a very, very long time. I've had my red-eared slider for fifteen years, and he was probably a couple years old when I got him. And he's as healthy as ever so who knows how long he might last. So just realize turtles are a long term commitment (but totally worth it!).

I feed mine Repto-Min pellets as a staple, and I occasionally supplement his diet with dried shrimp and fresh fruits and vegetables (his favorites are lettuce, carrots, and strawberries). Turtles are also very messy eaters, so I sometimes feed him in a bucket of water (they need water to swallow) so his food mess won't mess up his tank as quickly.

I use a simple box filter for keeping his tank clean. Suction-cups to the side, and is easy to remove for cleaning and changing filter materials. And it does wonders.

• Locked thread