Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shy Retirer
Sep 9, 2011
Hi guys, I posted in the last thread but it seems like a good idea to try again in the active one.

I've got a leopard gecko, I was keeping him on kitchen roll when I first got him as I did some research and sand didn't seem like a good idea. I somehow (against my better judgement) allowed myself to get convinced to try Calci sand over Christmas, but it didn't sit well with me and having read this thread I'm now eager to get rid of it.

I'm going to put him back on kitchen towels for now, but can anyone suggest me a better/more aesthetic substrate? I saw mention of tiles or slate, which I like the idea of. Is there anything to stop me from just using lots of big flat stones?

Also, any tips for keeping the tank a bit warmer in a fairly chilly room? I have an appropriate heat mat but I'm worried it's a bit too chilly on the cold side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy Retirer
Sep 9, 2011

Mistegirl posted:

I have slate and love it. I could be wrong, but I think it holds the heat a bit too and should help with the temps.

For heating in general I can't recommend the Repti Heat Cord stuff enough. It doesn't get super hot, doesn't burn out all the time like the stupid matts, lets you arrange it for a warmer and cooler side and you get a ton of it for $15.

No idea how to shoo off a stalker anole, but I'm super jealous.

Thanks for the advice! I've never heard of a heat cable before, but I'll give it a try. Out of curiosity, where did you acquire your slate? I'm in the UK, not really sure where to buy from.

Shy Retirer
Sep 9, 2011

Malalol posted:

Wow I think I am in need of gecko slurry. I dont know if they are past that and in dying mode but, tails are pretty much skin and bones (they look like http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2514/3833652711_7892c334ea.jpg )

Buuutt.. those ingredients...ugh >_> Can I somehow get an alternative? Like another type of canned food that won't require a vet and I dont want to go out and buy thistle/acidophilis and just...use 2 pills. Or blend mealworms. : | Everything else looks easy enough to get...

Suggestions? The disclaimer also says to not use it for fattening up but.... looks like it works well..?

Oh, poor things. Have you tried them on different kinds of food? Crickets or waxworms instead of mealworms? (waxworms shouldn't really be their main source of food, but if they're that skinny then it's worth trying, my gecko can't get enough of them!) Are you offering live food or canned food? My gecko isn't interested in anything that isn't moving. Is it warm enough in the tank? Are there ary signs of impaction?

If you've covered all these things, then slurry is the next thing to try. Surely it's worth the effort and cost to try and save their lives? Getting them to a vet would probably be a good idea too.

Shy Retirer
Sep 9, 2011
This lovely little leopard gecko lady is arriving next Wednesday. I'm incredibly excited. Am I right in thinking that a three month quarantine and weighing at least 45-50g is recommended before introducing her to my male leopard gecko?

Shy Retirer
Sep 9, 2011

Cassiope posted:

Oh my god, that is the cutest gecko. Where is she coming from?

The Czech Republic. I came across the website of a breeder with some gorgeous little geckos and then proceeded to spend the next couple of hours pouring over them and squealing until I just couldn't control myself. :allears: Pricey, but beautiful.

Shy Retirer
Sep 9, 2011
Here's a crappy phone picture of my new little cutie. For some reason she really had a thing for the camera lens on my iPhone and made a beeline for it when I pointed it at her. Not had her a week yet but I'm completely smitten. She seems to be settling down a bit, had a fantastic shed last night. I'll be happier once she starts eating though.

Look at that cute little face!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy Retirer
Sep 9, 2011
One of my leos is having a couple of shed problems. I usually stick a moist hide in his tank and if he has any skin left over I'll soak him in some warm water and ease it off. Generally I don't have many problems but last shed he'd drawn some blood on his toes while (I assume) trying to chew some of the skin off. No major wounds and most of the old skin was already gone when I discovered him but he's never done that before.

He's also had some old skin stuck to his pre-anal pores for the last two sheds now. I've bathed him several times and tried to gently tug it off but it's stuck fast and the little fella always looks uncomfortable and tries to saunter away.

Should I be worried? Also - if I leave a moist hide in there 24-7, how often should I change out the sphagnum moss?

• Locked thread