Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zandorv
Nov 22, 2011

Hello, reptile and amphibian thread! I'm planning on getting a turtle for a friend- specifically, a Central American Wood Turtle. She wants a herbervorous turtle, and this was the closest I could find for beginners (I'm not sure why she wants a turtle and not a tortoise. It seems like it would be easier to find herbervorous tortoises, but she said she wanted a turtle). Anyway, it seems that while a good 30 gallon terrarium will work for a hatchling, these guys need enclosures of at least 4' x 4' x 2' (L x W x H) as adults. Since standard terrariums don't have these dimensions, I'm assuming we'd have to build the enclosure ourselves. Does anyone have any experience with these turtles that could give me some advice on keeping them? Is there anywhere where I can find an enclosure of the proper size for this type of turtle, or will I have to build one? Finally, are there any other herbervorous turtles that you guys could suggest for a first-time turtle owner? Maybe one that doesn't require so much space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zandorv
Nov 22, 2011

Well, according to several sources I've seen, the Central American Wood Turtle is "overwhelmingly herbervorous," and some people don't feed them insects at all. It seems the insects are not a necessary part of the diet, and the protein can be supplemented. If I'm wrong feel free to correct me- I don't want to accidentally give my friend a turtle that needs insects and tell her it's okay to feed it as if it were a herbevore.

• Locked thread