Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Can we put up a few resources for people interested in acquiring their first cold-blooded bundle of joy? PetSmart/Co have some of the more common reptiles and amphibians, but there are far better places to get your new companion. (Perhaps captive bred vs. wild could be added to the FAQ as well)

I've always been a fan of rescues. Anapsid has list of rescues across the US as well as information on international ones. There are so many unwanted animals out there (How were we to know that little Jimmy would get tired of his ball python we bought at PetCo on a whim?) and so few resources out there to help them find homes. As much as I respect responsible breeders and love all the different morphs out there, there are a lot of "mutt" snakes and lizards that get tossed in the woods when their owners are tired of them.

You can also foster herps!

http://www.anapsid.org/societies/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Sweet CupnCakes posted:

For those who think a burm would be a good starter pet because the local reptile shop has cute little 1 foot baby burms. Here is some info:

A female burm can reach lengths of 15 - 18+ feet. They grow about 6feet give or take in the first year. My albino is exactly a year old and 6.6ft.
And they live 20+ years! If you're not prepared for a long-term investment, most snakes are not for you. (Hell, most reptiles aren't for you. Those scaly suckers live forever :3:)

Sweet CupnCakes posted:

This is adorable. He looks so curious about the camera. How old was he when this picture was taken?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
For seven years, too! :aaa:

I'm glad he's doing well, and I hope the person who abused him got a good talking to. :mad:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

her0n posted:

I use Aubiose which is very similar to Aspen. It's a Horse bedding and doesn't contain any ingredients that are harmful to snakes. Very cheap too, less than £10 for a GIANT bale :D

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question...

When you use this bedding, do you transfer your snakes to a substrate-free tank when feeding them? I can't imagine ingesting any type of bedding is good for them, but if this doesn't have harmful ingredients, then it's probably better than aspen.

(I gave my sister my 10 gallon over x-mas, and am trying to decide whether or not to buy another separate feeding tank for my BP)

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

lwoodio posted:

Any wood is a harmful substance in a snake's belly. Also, feeding them outside of the cage is said to make them less likely to bite because they associated the cage with food. My snake goes into a paper grocery bag with chip clips at the top to eat. He has a habit of making huge watery poops immediately after he eats, so I just dump him back into the cage when he's done and throw the bag away each time.
Thanks, I'll try that. He's a messy eater, so it'll probably help to be able to dispose of the entire mess at once, without cleaning another tank.

He's never struck at me so far, but he knows that when the microwave goes on, it's time for food. :)

(Heating the water for the rat, not the rat itself)

edit: drat, varying opinions.

Big Centipede posted:

coconut coir
This makes me feel a lot better. I stopped by Petco today to pick up stuff for my dog and noticed that they were keeping the pythons in a brown bedding. I was worried it was straight dirt. Doy. :doh:

hyperhazard fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 26, 2012

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Why are you microwaving the rat? I've always been told to avoid doing that since you can cook parts of it or get parts too hot or whatever.

hyperhazard posted:

(Heating the water for the rat, not the rat itself)
:)

edit for clarity: I microwave a mug of hot water, pour it into the special container I use for defrosting, and add the frozen rat. Five minutes later, voila, cooked rat! Then I dry it and serve it.

vvv Haha, no problem. As soon as I typed that post, I realized it was worded weirdly.

hyperhazard fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 26, 2012

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Stanfield posted:

Thanks for the tips guys, I think I'll start small than a diamond, maybe a spotted python?

What I would really like is a site that has a list or something that says "Here's the things you'll need to know/do before you even think about going out and buying a snake." I know about getting a lisence and that I'll need to set up an enclosure(although i have no idea how, as in what do I put in it, where is a good place to put it, ect.) but past that I'm lost.
Another piece of advice is to get a vet set up before you do go and get a snake. I know, this sounds self-explanatory, but I've known a depressingly large number of people who bought pythons or boas and just sort of assumed their regular vet treated herps too. Depending on the services near you, it might even influence what type of snake you get.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Since you live down under, why bother buying one? Just check your nearest toilet.

Seriously though, I googled carpets to learn more about them, and couldn't believe how beautiful they are. I don't blame you for wanting one.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Wow. It takes a hardcore herp lover to go for the camera before pulling off the snake :)

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Yikes, 4 years old? I have a horrible feeling he's one of those vendors who picks up surrenders and sells them for a profit. So...consider the snake a rescue! He's definitely in a better situation now than he was before.

How are you thawing the rats? My guy's usually such a pig that he gobbles them up even if they're still wet, but not all balls are cool with that. One thing that works if he's really picky is to cut open the rat and smear some of the brain on the outside; they love that.

Minor point, but I'd move the basking light so it doesn't sit directly on the mesh top. The metal can get heated, and if he's a climber, he can get burned.

He's such a cute guy, all curled up there. I've always been a little :3: for balls.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Captain Foxy posted:

She also bought an '11 hatchling Mexican Black Kingsnake at the expo, but that was her planned purchase. It's eating well on pinkies like a garbage disposal, which is typical. That snake is called Captain Snakerton.
Well obviously you need a first mate!
I'm leaning toward Gilligan, but Bally Bones has a nice ring to it.

(Confession: My BP's named Eric after Eric Idle...of Monty Python :blush:)

Braining's not that bad. I thought it would be a mess, but it was pretty clean, all told. Rat skulls are surprisingly strong and take some effort to crack, but it won't be gushing blood or anything.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
I looked at it about 3 separate times before I even noticed the gator. Yikes.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Shy Retirer posted:

This lovely little leopard gecko lady is arriving next Wednesday. I'm incredibly excited. Am I right in thinking that a three month quarantine and weighing at least 45-50g is recommended before introducing her to my male leopard gecko?

"Oh," I thought to myself, "I guess I can take a look at the site. It's 1am, but I'm not hugely into geckos, so I'll probably just skim it..."

Two hours later, and I was still going strong. Dammit, he has some beauties. (You definitely got the cutest one, though :)) He also has pictures of his latest red-tailed clutch which made me want to hold each and every one of them. Baby snakes are the cutest.

her0n posted:

I do indeed move them at feeding time. I use Really Useful Boxes :)
I use these for storing odds and ends for crafts, but that's a great idea. For some reason the thought of using clear containers never occurred to me. I can cover it with a blanket but still lift it periodically to check in on him. Sweet!

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Big Centipede posted:

So, whats a species you've always wanted to keep?
Python curtus (Blood Pythons). I am in love with these little sausages. :)

There's something about the darker morphs that especially appeals to me, although the vibrant ones are also pretty easy on the eyes.

I don't have the resources to take care of a 35+ lb python right now, but maybe some day...

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Big Centipede posted:

I've had a few baby bloods a few times, but never kept any adults. If I'm not mistaken, the black bloods tend to stay in the 3-4 foot range. Might be up your alley.
Ooh, I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Taliaquin posted:

Bonus:
A badly-lit pic of Rosencrantz hiding in a crate: Claws! :black101:

Please tell me the other one is named Guildenstern. :pray:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

mushroom_spore posted:

Yes. Basically, snakes are stupid. If they can simultaneously smell rat and see heat/movement then clearly all these triggers belong to the same object, which means your limb is a rodent and they should try to eat it.
Mine always gets excited and pokes his head out when I start the microwave. I have no idea if it's because he associates it with me warming up his water to prepare his rats, or if he senses the heat coming off of it, or if it's the vibrations, or what. (My kitchens opens into the living room; I'm not some weirdo who keeps snakes next to my toaster or something.) I just make sure to let him calm down before handling him.

Shachi posted:

Chahoua's also sound very interesting and fun, my only concern is how goddamn expensive they are. Convincing my g/f to let me buy a $300-$1000 animal is going to be tough when she's been pestering me for a diamond engagement ring, hehehe.
"Honey, I have something very special to ask you. Will you do me the honor of gut loading these mealworms and then helping me sex this tank of geckos?" :3:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
So here's an odd question. How badly are snakes affected by paint fumes? I'm painting my house this weekend, and don't know if there are specific precautions I need to take. Obviously I'm going to have plenty of ventilation so I don't kill myself or my dog, but it would be really awesome not to poison any other family members, too. :)

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

souplix posted:

We were under the impression, from reading care sheets from petco that a 20 long with lights is the best way to go. But after reading http://www.anapsid.org/king.html it seems that a 60 gallon is instead best, and with an under the tank heater. Ideally we would like to have to buy the size that is needed for the snake once it becomes an adult.
One quick thing about the tank size: If you're getting a juvenile, you probably shouldn't buy a 60 gallon. I know it seems cost-effective to get one tank that it will live in for the rest of its life, but they can be freaked out by too much space. If your snake gets stressed, it won't eat, and it won't shed properly. I like having a smaller tank on hand anyway, for feeding, or to store the guys in when cleaning the big tank. And if some disaster happens and the big tank breaks or the lid gives out or whathaveyou, you have something to fall back on.

e: Okay, looks like Anapsid suggests getting young king snakes set up in a full-grown size tank. Huh. I'd trust Melissa's advice over mine, but I still vote for picking up a spare tank just in case. :)

hyperhazard fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 11, 2012

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

souplix posted:

**TLDR**Are lights needed if you have adequate heat throughout the tank? Or are they just to simulate day and night cycles while maintaining a heat source?
I typically use lights to maintain the right spectrum for the snakes. It's hard to maintain humidity with heat lamps, so I'd suggest a cool UV light and another heat source. Just be careful not to get heat rocks, because they cause burns. I also place the heat pads on the side of the tank, not the bottom, but people have different opinions about this. If you have enough substrate, bottom pads shouldn't bother them.

Re tanks: I don't normally suggest getting supplies from big retailers, but every few months, PetCo has amazing sales on tanks, $1 per gallon. I picked up my new 40 gallon from there for $40 (down from $140), and that's hard to beat. If you have a store near you'd I'd keep an eye out for these sales!

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Celery Face posted:

I think my dad is forgetting that lots of girls own reptiles. Not just guys.

I think I heard Sugar Gliders are illegal here in Canada.
Has your dad seen pictures of corn snakes? They're pretty girly.

Hell, you can even get them in pink! ;)

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Cowslips Warren posted:

Okay, snake people, level with me; what snake eats guinea pigs? Or better yet, why would you feed your snake guinea pigs?
It's probably just ignorance on her part. I babysat a 7 lb rabbit one summer, and the owner kept asking if the ball python I had at the time would eat it.
I got asked the same question when I adopted my dog a few years later. She was 10 lbs, and grew to 30 :doh:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

PooBoots posted:

I'm sure I've done the right thing, then! I took him down to the riverbank this morning and let him go. He dug himself into the mud and a minute later, I couldn't even see him.

I'm still baffled as to how two turtles got into the pond. I've seen a female laying eggs nearby, but it's a good 500m or more from there to here. It would have meant crossing a couple of streets, getting under peoples' fences, etc. The river is a lot closer to the hatching spot :iiam:
Good call on the turtle. My cousin caught one when he was a kid and decided to raise it as a pet, figuring he could "tame" it. His parents thought it would be like a hamster or gerbil and die off after a few years, so they allowed him to keep it.

30 years later, my cousin's married and starting a family, and that evil fucker is still going strong. Snapping turtles live forever, and they can be mean as hell. Everyone hates that turtle, including my cousin, but he's dead-set against releasing it. After all this time, I guess another 5 or 10 years won't make a difference, but still. That thing has never and will never be what you'd consider a "good" pet.

Small ponds can turn up the weirdest things. My parents have a small koi pond, probably about 4-5 ft in diameter, that had been neglected for a few years. All of the fish died, so they decided to drain it and start again, but leave out the koi this time.

A month after it's been drained and filled, I'm helping them scoop some leaves out of the pond with a pool skimmer. I bring the net up out of the water and HOLY gently caress A FISH. It flips over and dives back into the pond, while I just stare in shock. To this day, I have no clue how it got in there.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
If you think that's bad: Airline arrests man with snakes, tortoises in pants

The worst part is, I was looking for another article from 2003-ish. Apparently this has happened many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:neckbeard: Harley and Joker are home!

And Harley spent twenty minutes wriggling all over me. We had to pry her off.

Yay!

So now you know you have to post pictures, right? I mean, what if they've changed? We deserve to see. :colbert:

• Locked thread