Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Does anyone know of any options for a lower profile heating lamp? Mine is 2-3 inches too tall for the shelf I want to put my gecko on and I'd really like to get her off the table and away from the windows in the room. I tried a clamp setup but it's just not getting the tank as warm as when I have the bulb directly on top of the screen over the warm part of the tank.

This is pretty close to what I have now. Ideally I'd like something 4-5 inches shorter that I can lay across the top of the tank during daylight hours. Does such a thing exist?

edit for pictures and hopefully clarity

This is where she is right now. Notice the big rear end lamp on top of the setup. Also notice that my wife was kind of messy with the calcium powder last night.

This is where I would like to keep her. A nice cozy spot in the same room for easy viewing, but away from that nasty window you can see in the first picture.

Sorry for the terrible phone pictures I didn't feel like getting out my camera

Devo fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I think my little leopard is shedding for the first time since I've had her :)

I need something for a moist hide box but I don't really have any special materials this morning. I read that a rubbermaid container with a hole cut in the top filled with moist paper towels would do the trick. Is this true or just internet bullshit?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I think Spot finished her first shed with me and now she's bright and beautiful again :3:

I didn't notice any extra skin near her toes or eyes so I'm going to assume the shed went fine. I think I'm going to leave the moist hide in there for one more night in case she needs to get a little more off.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

You don't have any small local pet stores you can go to? I get crickets from the place I bought my gecko and they cost 6 cents a piece.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I'm interested in those orange cubes. I've never seen them before. How long would a 12 oz jar of those last if I'm generally buying 30 crickets every Sunday?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah that sounds pretty good. Right now I'm just grinding up some Cheerios and throwing a soaked apple or potato slice in there every day. This way is probably more nutritious.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

So here's a dumb question...

The lightbulb in my clamp lamp burned out tonight and being that it was like 7 o'clock all the pet stores were closing. It was a Zilla I believe, 50 watt 120 volt. Is throwing a regular old 60 watt GE incandescent bulb in there fine or is this going to screw up my leopard gecko? Do I need to hit up the pet store tomorrow morning?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

My gecko setup stays plenty warm with a heat pad on one side underneath the tank and a heat lamp on for about 12 hours a day. I keep the furnace at about 68 and the AC will be on about 71-72 when it heats up this summer. I also cover three sides of the tank and most of the top with a blanket at night. This has the added bonus of being able to black her out if I have to turn on the light for something.

I posted earlier wondering if a regular old incandescent bulb would do the job in my fixture and it seems to be working. In fact, I'm using a 60 watt bulb instead of the 50 watt Zilla I had in there earlier and it can get a little *too* hot. Luckily my fixture has a dimmer switch so that's no problem at all.

e: late edit

I need to get my real camera out one of these days and snap some pictures. I let the little monster out to run around on my desk a little today and all I had was my crappy cell phone cam.

Devo fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 30, 2012

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Can someone link me to a decent thermometer? I'm still using the stick-on one that my local pet store gave me when I bought my leopard gecko setup. My wife bought some new bulbs yesterday and I'm afraid they're running a little too hot. I'm going back to the pet store today to buy some fixtures with dimmer switches but it would be nice to have a point and shoot way to get some exact temperatures in different areas of the cage.

edit: Something like this?
This is what I have in the cage right now

Devo fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 28, 2012

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I was thinking the IR thermometers were the go-to gadget for some reason. So would this be better suited to my needs?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Ok I get what you're saying now. I'll look into those. Thanks.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I hate crickets so much.

Just a random thought I'm throwing out there tonight.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Captain Foxy posted:

gently caress crickets.

I bought crickets because the pet shop was closing. But I still had to go to the hospital to visit with my daughter. The hospital parking garage is cold. Now I have to go buy crickets tomorrow.

e: Actually upon further inspection some of them are waking up. Maybe some of them won't die. Until I feed them to my gecko that is; then they will die for sure.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I just throw a blanket on top of my gecko's cage every night. This has the added bonus of keeping a good day/night cycle for her since I'm usually up pretty late and I have the lights on.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah mine is more likely to just go traipsing through the thing, but occasionally I see her duck her head down for a sip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

After nearly two years my leopard gecko is showing weird shedding behavior. Normally when her skin starts to get that whiteish tint to it I throw a small tupperware container with a hole in the lid into her terrarium. I get some paper towels warm and damp, put them in there, and she rolls around for a while and goes to town. I've been doing this since the first time she shed for me.

This is the second shed in a row now where she more or less refuses to go in there and I'm not sure why. She's just kind of scraping against her hot side hide instead of going into the damp one. Last time after she was done I had to take a wet Q-tip and fix some of the spots where the shed didn't come off all the way. Is this normal behavior after a while?

• Locked thread