Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

I'm a lizard. I have a hat. What else do you want?
:sassargh:SASS2013:sassargh:

Shy Retirer posted:

I'm going to put him back on kitchen towels for now, but can anyone suggest me a better/more aesthetic substrate? I saw mention of tiles or slate, which I like the idea of. Is there anything to stop me from just using lots of big flat stones?

Also, any tips for keeping the tank a bit warmer in a fairly chilly room? I have an appropriate heat mat but I'm worried it's a bit too chilly on the cold side.

I have slate and love it. I could be wrong, but I think it holds the heat a bit too and should help with the temps.

For heating in general I can't recommend the Repti Heat Cord stuff enough. It doesn't get super hot, doesn't burn out all the time like the stupid matts, lets you arrange it for a warmer and cooler side and you get a ton of it for $15.

No idea how to shoo off a stalker anole, but I'm super jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

Shy Retirer posted:

Thanks for the advice! I've never heard of a heat cable before, but I'll give it a try. Out of curiosity, where did you acquire your slate? I'm in the UK, not really sure where to buy from.

People use it for flooring. Got mine at one of the mega home improvement type stores, I'm not sure if you guys have those out there. Google tells me there'a place called Wickes? They list em on their site.

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

My beardie is shedding right now and good god is he miserable. He's been getting lighter for the last week or more and it just started breaking today. I gave him a bath earlier to help, but he just poops in the water within minutes, so he doesn't soak long.

I keep hearing him moving and look over to see him squirming all over his log scratching his belly. Then I laugh and he puffs out his beard at me. Poor guy, I hope it's over soon.

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

I do the same thing with my beardie, but his routine is pretty set. Splash around for a minute, drink a bunch, poop, try to play in the poop before he can be grabbed.

Baths usually last about 3 minutes total.

I guess my point is don't be shocked if your poops in there. I've read on beardie forums about people who bathe theirs every day and they get into the habit of just pooping then.

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

I Am Hydrogen posted:

SA, as always, has the best advice. I ended up deciding on a crested gecko that I'm waiting on. I bought all the supplies, including a heat lamp, but, upon further reading, it seems as if a heat lamp isn't necessary. Is this true? I have an under tank heater, though. Will that be sufficient? My apartment is at a constant 70* or so. I have UTH placed on the opposite side of the water and food dishes. I have no problem leaving the lamp on occasionally to make sure they stay warm enough, but if it's necessary I might as well return it and spend it on other goodies.

As an aside, I'm a little annoyed with where I live right now. I used to live in a bit of a hippie mecca with organic pet stores this and all-natural that, and now I've moved to a place with a single PetCo thanks to my job, so I'm stuck with that and ordering online, but I'm taking your guys' advice as much as possible and really appreciate it.

One last thing, the PetCo was out of "crested gecko food" until later next week. She said she'd put their own stock in my bag for free, but never did. I should have checked before I left. It's not a big deal right now, but in regards to food, I read that they like pureed bananas and other fruits, baby food, and crickets. Is this true? Thanks again for all over your help!

I should mention that I did this.

You don't need any extra heat for a crested, 70 is around what you want for them. You can keep the UTH if you want, they're cool with being up to 80 or so, but go ahead and return the basking light.

Babyfood from what I understand is a big no-no. Mushed up fruit and some crickets will probably be fine until you get some crested gecko diet.

Order the food from here if you can - http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/crested-gecko-diet.html It looks expensive, but a 1/2 pound bag will probably feed a single gecko for almost a year. Also it just smells better than the crap from petco, like it's fresher or something.

Anyway congrats on the little one! When you're handling it make sure you always keep your other hand in front of it at a distance so when it decides to jump it has something to land on.

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

What a handsome beardie! I love it when they do the over the shoulder glaredown

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

For your new beardie ditch the flea spray and any other strange poo poo. Here's a good guide on what veggies he can have every day, same days or never: http://www.blackninjakitty.com/herps/care/troystuttlegreeniglist.htm

For substrate I love slate tile personally. Easy to take out one tile and clean when needed, doesn't stink, holds heat well and will help file down the sharp little claws.

Understand that a beardie that size will eat A LOT. Give them all the crickets he'll eat in a 10 minute period twice a day. He will probably eat 20+ each go. This is normal. Young beardies can grow up to an inch a week, they need a ton of food to do it. Don't freak out if he doesn't eat a ton of veggies.

He'll be skiddish while he's small. With my guy at least he hit about 15" before really chilling out for handling. Now he'll usually just sit there forever, or at most run across the room and then sit around. Like everyone else said, let him settle in a bit before too much handling.

Your cresties are really cute :3

Also invest in one of these: http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Temperature-Infrared-Thermometer-Laser/dp/B002YE3FS4/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1329670943&sr=1-2-catcorr

Best thing ever for measuring temps around your tanks. Did he come with a good UV light? You want one end of the tank about 80 and the basking spot around 105. Here's a full care writeup if you need one: http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/caresheet/

Mistegirl fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 19, 2012

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

I Am Hydrogen posted:

Ordered the infrared thermometer (with Amazon Prime!!). I've been reading through a bunch of care sheets and things on what they can/can't eat but those links are really comprehensive - thanks.

For slate, is any slate okay? As in I can just stop in Home Depot and pick some up (and clean it, of course)?

Unfortunately, he did not come with a UV light. Like I mentioned earlier, the previous owners really seemed kind of iffy. He did come with a basking light though. I'm going to head to PetCo (I wish there was something other than a PetCo within a reasonable distance from me...) and pick all this stuff up.

Again, thanks for all of your help. It would have taken me a lot longer to figure all of this out otherwise, and there's a chance I might not have done it right.

Yep any slate tile is cool. It was about $25 for a box with double what I needed when I went. Warning - that poo poo is heavy - like "how the gently caress is a box this small this heavy??".

Repisun is your best bet for good UV - you can get them here for about 1/2 what petco and crap sells them for: http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/11442-504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-bulb.html

Tortoises are so cute in their own way!

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

In the tile department?? That's really strange. Try Home Depot if you have one nearby, that's where we went and looking on their site they have a bunch of ones listed.

I could be wrong but I think the canned crickets are fine. Most lizards just won't bother with stuff that isn't moving, so consider yourself lucky there!

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

Celery Face posted:

I don't really want a snake anymore. I think the entire reason I've been geeking out over them for the past few weeks is because I'm thinking about getting a reptile, I love reptiles and I'm looking over and researching the hell out of ones I've often been thinking about getting. I'm not one to buy pets on impulse.

I really like Bearded Dragons. They're so funny! Does anyone here own one and could tell me what they're like?

Bearded Dragons are awesome! They're adorable and scampery when small, and quickly grow into giant lumps that are happy to sit on you and watch TV for long periods of time. They'll look at you when you talk to them and have tons of personality.

They take some good money to setup. You'll need at least a 40 gallon breeder for a full grown along with heating supplies to make it 100ish on the hot side and 80s on the other. And a good UVB light. Don't house more than one in a tank.

They eat like pigs. The cute little 6 inch baby one can chomp down 20 small crickets and not blink twice. They also need greens and other veggies, but will mostly ignore them until grown.

They're really great lizards overall

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

Celery Face posted:

All the Bearded Dragons I see around here are babies. I heard babies are harder to take care of than adults but I think I can handle it.

I've got my eye on an aquarium at the pet store that has front open doors. I think it might be an Exo Terra aquarium and larger than 40 gallons. It's also at least 245 dollars.

Will keeping a baby in a really big tank stress it out unless I keep the tank simple? I heard paper towels will suffice as substrate. Is that true?

They're more skittery when they're small. They can loving bolt when they want and will without much warning. Other than that they're pretty drat easy and DO NOT stay small for very long (see below picture). If you put him in a huge tank just make sure he can find food at feeding time. All else fails take a big piece of cardboard and use it to divide the tank.

You can use paper towels, but they're pretty ugly. We have slate tiles that we picked up at home depot pretty cheap. They're great because when they make a mess you can just take out that tile, scrub it and stick it back in.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

Hood Ornament posted:

Hey, uh, so my Bloodred het Hypo Plasma Charcoal corn clutch popped.

I love the baby snake pictures!

Had a freak out tonight, my leopard gecko Smuggy had a huge prolapse. We looked in her tank and there was just this ring of blood all over the paper towels. Luckily our vet is close by and open until 9, so got her right in and he packed her back up. She was surprisingly perky the whole time.

He put 2 little stitches back there and I have to bring her back in 2 weeks to get them taken out, or earlier if she can't poop with them in.

Has anyone else had this? He said there's nothing special I have to do in the mean time, but was wondering what experiences others have had with the same issue. Does it usually come back? Is there a chance he put stuff back in wrong?

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

Cless Alvein posted:

Argh! I can't decide between Cresties and Gargs, they're both just so awesome.(The correct answer is I will eventually end up with both!) but I dunno which one to start with. Help help! :(

It's a tough call. Do you have a preference between jumpy or not? Holding a crested is all about making sure your other hand is always in position for it to jump to next, so it doesn't end up jumping any old place. Gargs will kind of hop, but it's usually just a few inches forward.

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

There's no harm in having a water dish in there for a beardie, just sometimes they're too stupid to figure out how to use one. Mine never paid attention to it until he tried to climb in. Then I just got one that was big enough for him to pile into and now once a week or so he'll curl up inside it.

Glad to hear you got one, they're great pets! When they get bigger they get better about handling. Mine is happy to hang on my shirt around the house or take a nap on my chest on the couch.

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

Pew! Pew! posted:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mebwwdv7W81qd2hceo1_1280.jpg

I just found this actually. Scaleless lizards. That just does NOT look right. From the post:

:( Gross.

Poor thing doesn't even look like a beardie! What fun are they without all the spikes and bumps?

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

Cowslips Warren posted:

For an animal like a bearded dragon with loving high UVB requirements...wouldn't being scaleless lead to some loving painful burns or worse?

Sonofafucking bitch, there are fish that are naturally 'scaleless' and the biggest No-Sale point to the fuckers is how likely they are to kick the bucket if you have to medicate the tank. Being scaleless ain't easy for a fish and for a reptile, I bet it isn't a cakewalk to Twinkieland either.

I did some reading on them when I first got my beardie and was curious about morphs and stuff. You have to soak them several times a week and then lotion them up to avoid their skin drying out. You also have to be careful with what you put into the tank because it can rip or tear easily. The fancy name people sell them under is "Silky" if anyone wants to google it.

It's just so ugly on beardie! The spikes and bumps and stuff are part of what makes them awesome.

If anyone wants a good laugh I was surfing around looking at kitten and puppy cams and found a bearded dragon cam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aY5U7M-xVs

I think it's the funniest thing ever because 90% of the time it's just like "hey look! A Lizard on a log.." They have multiple camera angles they switch between and everything.

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

rear end in a top hat casserole posted:

I hate you people. I have a big ol' 50gal tank that's sitting empty, and now I'm dead set on filling it with a uromastyx. Someone talk me out of this, please?

will this help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq_apH2y_bk

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

Captain Foxy posted:

Get her to a herp vet, asap. Swelling is either a sign of a break, an abscess or a cyst, and none of those can be treated at home. Abscesses in reptiles are weird and can't be treated like mammals, same thing with cysts, because their pus is thick and doesn't drain easily. And if it's a break, it really needs to be set. Most herp vets charge around $40-80 for an emergency visit, plus meds/treatment.

Vet is always a good idea, but is your Leo fat? When they get fat or too much calcium sometimes Leopard Geckos get bubble fat deposits behind their front arms. Here's a little blurb on it, you can find more with a google search of like "leopard gecko arm fat bubble".
http://exoticpets.about.com/od/leopard-gecko/a/Leopard-Gecko-Armpits.htm (No idea if this site sucks or not, but it just had the best explination of it)

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

I had one with the same kind of issues, used this stuff from Flukers: http://www.petstore.com/flukers-reptaboost-insectivore-carnivore-emergency-high-amp-boost-50-grams

Get it semi liquid and use the syringe to drip near her mouth while she licks it off. It isn't as hard as force feeding because for her it's more just like licking off drips. If she opened wide I'd try to get a good squirt in, but for the most part it was drip and lick for as long as I could get her to keep going. It was a long hard process every day, but after about a week she started to perk up and within 2 weeks was eating normally again.

She was really bad at toes too. I would dampen down a paper towel, try to use it to moisten it the best I could and then gently pull with tweezers. Didn't like it much, but beats loosing more toes :(

Good luck!

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

Quick question - we're headed on a week long vacation soon and are trying to figure out the best way to have our beardie taken care of while we're gone.

So more of a 2 part question - first, would it be a huge deal if he was lightless for a week? There's heat tape around the tank, so it wouldn't get too cold at least, but obviously I don't want to hurt him in any way. My in laws can come by a few times during the week to feed and refresh his water at least, but asking them to drive in to turn his lights on and off every day isn't realistic.

If lightless for the week is a horrible idea does anyone have recommendations for a temporary enclosure setup? He's in a 40 long with slate tile right now and if we have to lug the whole setup to my inlaws for the week we will, but if he'd be fine in some easier to travel setup we'd do that. With him at the parents house he'll be in a out of the way room and they'll take care of the lights and stuff, but he's not going to be the center of attention like he is now.

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

Captain Foxy posted:

I am legitimately confused by anyone who owns reptiles and doesn't have their lights on timers. Get a timer, unless you hate convenience and the awesome laziness it provides.

Kilersquirrel posted:

E: /\/\ Why don't you just buy a light timer or two, they're $10 at a hardware store and typically the same at Petsmart too. That way he can have the exact same schedule without anybody needing to drive over twice a day.

Holy poo poo how did I not think of this????? Thank you!!

Mistegirl fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 12, 2014

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

Noricae posted:

They're $3-5 at Home Depot and the like if you want one just one that works for 1 plug ($30-40 at pet shops for a larger one or you can just get multiples of the first).

And don't worry, it took me a good six months to be like "OH. a timer..." - before that I would try and be home around 7-8pm every day otherwise and really got on a wake up at dawn schedule. :downs:

Found one with 2 outlets at WalMart for $10 - talk about feeling silly for not thinking of that to begin with. I'm glad I'm not the only one that forgot they exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

I'm so kicking myself right now. We went to the New England reptile show over the weekend and the only thing that caught my eye was a guy that had some Mourning Geckos. I thought about it and wanted them, but then figured I'd have to get a live tank up and going, so it would probably be better to get that in order before adding the geckos. Now I'm remembering that these suckers are almost impossible to find and I probably won't be able to get a pair until the next show in October, and that's if I'm lucky. Ugh.

• Locked thread