Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I'd caution anyone interested in preparing reptiles and (especially) amphibians to do their homework first - while a number of species are only venomous and not poisonous, some (notably Dentrobatidae but far from restricted to that family) are both. While consultation with a licensed herpetologist is safest, among the more commonly seen families and subfamilites (Crotalinae, Crocodiliae, etc.) you're probably safe eating first and asking questions later as long as you've properly removed any venom glands.

Given the tendency to describe reptilian meat as reminiscent of chicken, I'd tend toward lighter sauces and moist cooking methods. A wide array of spices would likely be appropriate, but centuries of classical French cooking indicate garlic is a solid starting point. Otherwise for amphibians you could go with a Cantonese approach and make congee, although I'm more a fan of the Sichuan hot pot approach with chili oil and Sichuan peppercorns.

Of course, deep frying is always an option and the one used most in the Southern US when dealing with denizens of the Everglades. Almost any protein is served well with a good dip in hot oil, and I can only imagine the majority of reptiles and amphibians would be in the same boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread