Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Hey herp goons. After 4 years of living on a boat, I'm finally moving into a real house and it turns out my girlfriend is super cool with the idea of setting up a vivarium. I kept lizards in the 90's when I lived at home and boy has the market/hobby changed since then. I'm astounded that you can keep lizards on paste food alone, everything was dusted/gut-loaded live food when I were a lad. I'm amazed at the species that are now almost commonplace, not to mention the prices. I guess we have the internet to thank for that.

My pipe dream back in the day was always Gold Dust Day Geckos, which were essentially impossible for me to source, and three times the price they are now; So those are a strong contender. Though some of the Crested Geckos you guys are posting are gorgeous and they seem pretty chill and interactive, which is a big plus.

My current plan is to build a nice tall jungle viv and get it established for around 3-6 months with plants and natural leaf litter w/springtails and such. I'm into my electronics and fabrication, so I'd love to have a go at automated misting and PID temp / humidity control. Then once I'm happy I can decide on what is going in there.

Does anyone have any good resources for building 'live' vivariums? Plans, designs, tutorials, materials sourcing? I'm in the UK, if that helps.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread