Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PK
Apr 30, 2004

EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE!
Cross-posting this from the Cute & Adorable thread in PFY:

The local natural history museum has a resident gopher tortoise named Gus. On Sunday they celebrated his 90th birthday, with hundreds of visitors. :3:

Montreal Gazette posted:

Museum staff believe Gus, who is barely bigger than a kitten, is the oldest gopher turtle in the world.

They estimate he hatched sometime between 1920 and 1925.

His guests were treated to birthday cake and lemonade, but Gus himself dined on organic blueberries and strawberries.

The fruit was a "special treat" for the almost-century-old tortoise.

Jeff Gray, the museum's curator of marketing and communications, said Gus usually sticks to a balanced diet of lettuce, berries and bananas.

How Gus got his name:

NS Natural History Museum posted:

In the 1950s, John Augustus Gilhen was an animal lover who devoted hours of his time to helping out at the museum. Whenever I got hungry, I would trundle over to John and firmly tap his shoe until he would give me a snack. Because of this, the museum’s curators decided that I had to be called Gus, in honour of my new friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PK
Apr 30, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

The gopher tortoise makes me sad.

:(

That's a sad story. Turtles & tortoises are illegal as pets here but I think museums are exempt since it's for educational purposes.

Here's a picture of my derpy frogs to cheer you up:

Poor Ella was trying to shed in peace and then Rory decided to climb on her.

PK
Apr 30, 2004

Wanna snuggle that cane toad. :3:

PK
Apr 30, 2004

Does anyone have alternatives to crickets that aren't roaches? It seems Dubia roaches aren't allowed in Canada.

PK
Apr 30, 2004

Greycious posted:

What about other species of feeder roaches? Lateralis are fairly popular feeders too, a little quicker moving for reptiles that find dubia too slow and uninteresting.

There are also meal worms but...eh, the general opinion of those being good feeders is pretty torn. They have a lot of chitin and not much protein compared to many other feeder insects.

Is there anything besides roachs? CFIA has a ban on all of 'em.

Meals worms suck. My frogs like something that moves.

PK
Apr 30, 2004

Knormal posted:

Does anyone have any experience with collared lizards?

Here's some pictures just because:

The dark one on the bottom is the known male, the one on top of him is the one I'm not sure about. I know sitting on top of each other can be a dominance thing, but I don't think that's the case here because even though you can't really tell from this angle the one on the bottom is like 10-20% bigger than the other one. I expect him to end up the dominant one if poo poo goes down.

:3: it looks like they're wearing little lizard sweater vests

PK
Apr 30, 2004

Clumsy Card House posted:

I took a video of my beardie being cute. Please excuse my voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDY6rBBDmVQ

She does this everytime I drain her bath. She loves being in the water, I think she was a chinese water dragon in a past life or something.

:kimchi: I love beardies. So magnificent and derpy at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PK
Apr 30, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Bearded Dragons would also be a better option. Easier to care for and they actually respond to and seem to bond with their people, unlike many reptiles. They are also pretty drat adorable.

Seconding beardies. They are so loving cute.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 18, 2015

• Locked thread