Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slowfoot
Jun 19, 2005

They are also fabulous composters. Our soldier fly larvae just appeared in our worm bin at some point (through some air holes in the top). They will eat pretty much anything you would normally compost, but much more quickly than the worms can manage.

I do find them slightly... icky, however. And I'm not normally grossed out by stuff like that. If you get enough of them you can actually hear them eating. The adult flies are nice looking, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowfoot
Jun 19, 2005

OneTwentySix posted:

There are a number of people on caudata.org that keep them, though, and there's another forums member here that has had some N. v. dorsalis for something like 20 years, though she hasn't posted in the thread in a while.

Heh, that's me :) I still love my Eastern newts - they're pretty much the perfect pet for me: fully aquatic, eat well, extremely entertaining in my planted tanks. They're like little dogs that beg for food. They are a bitch to raise, though. I find the eft stage very tedious and boring. They get cuter as they get bigger, but the tiny efts are like little bugs that don't want to eat anything and randomly die - not the most ideal fun pet.

They definitely are not an instant-gratification breeding project: my three-year-olds are just now going back in the water as adults. The 'outdoor pond' method may be the best idea - I raised a bunch of larvae on my porch last year in a big tub pond and they all did well. I gave away all the efts because I just don't have time to feed so many little jerks. I'm in a bind right now because I moved to a state where I can't legally sell or give away this species, but my females are all full of eggs :(

Definitely appreciate your salamander posts! My husband's dream is to own a hellbender (will not be happening).

slowfoot
Jun 19, 2005

Captain Foxy posted:

Don't tempt me, you literal and figurative siren.

Also, these granulosa are laying like crazy but they keep eating them! We have egg-laying strips in there, but how do we preserve the eggs? Remove in a separate enclosure or can we put them straight into the wild?

Or would you like them? :)

I would totally pay you if you'd like to send me some! (My husband will kill me if he sees this post, but granulosa is a species I've been wanting to get my hands on for years.)

If you have some left after sending them to OneTwentySix, that is.

• Locked thread