Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I'm getting a snake tomorrow!

It's a 1.5 year old male kingsnake. I think he is the barred morph. Never missed a feeding and has a bunch of interesting recessive color genes should I want to breed him. I got to hold him and he seemed pretty chill. He did bite the pet store guy, but the pet store guy had just had his hand in the mouse bin. I haven't had a snake since I was a kid and it was a terrible gartersnake. I'm looking forward to having a much more interesting snake, hopefully a little less gross too.

I have his cage set up like this:

There is an UTH on the right, and the lamp has a ceramic heater in it. Hot side is running about 85 and cool side is 75.

This is the best picture I was able to get of him:

Is there anything I am forgetting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Captain Foxy posted:

The analog meter is fine but you can't use it stuck to the glass like that. If it's on the glass it's gonna tell you the temp on the glass, not where the snake is. Take it off, throw it away and either get a probe or another analog but this time just set it in the tank at the hot spot/cool spot/middle/wherever. A temp gun makes it much easier to do that but you can do the same with the analog ones, you just need to wait about a half hour to get an accurate reading whereas the gun is instant.

Two other things:
-Make sure you have long hemostats or tongs for feeding; kings are notoriously eager to feed and may grab your hand if they miss and then stupidly refuse to let go because FOOD.
-If you're at all concerned/unhappy about being bit while your king adjusts/goes through jerk teenager phase, use a hook to take them out so you don't get nailed. Not to peg them as biters, but it's just always something any prospective snake owner should think about; nobody likes getting bitten and hooks help negate that from being an issue.

ETA: Take the 30yr old rat snake to a vet to have them remove the shed with an oil solution soak. Don't do it yourself unless someone there knows what they're doing with snakes.

I have an IR gun, the stick on is just there because I had it sitting around. :) I will get some tongs when I go pick him up tomorrow. He's scheduled to eat on Friday, is three days of getting used to things enough time before giving him a mouse?

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Cool! I brought him home and he is exploring now. Such a pretty animal.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
He ate a mouse!

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
A snake ate a crocodile in Australia! Go snakes!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26413101

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
So, about two months ago my Cali King escaped. This is him, his name is Elvis.

I looked for him, but I finally gave up two weeks ago. I got a replacement snake, this is Rolo.

THEN about a week ago I found a shed from Elvis. So I set another trap. He did not get caught, but he did get the meal from it last night. Today, I found him! He's been free for seven weeks and he is really loving mad about being caught again.

So, I have a 20 gallon long tank which Rolo is in right now, and a 10 gallon tank that I had sitting around that I threw Elvis in. Because Rolo is just a baby, the 10 gallon will be okay for her for right now, correct? Do I need to do any fancy cleaning when I switch them around or should they be alright just to swap tanks? They both came from the same place and are healthy as far as I know. I'm concerned about smells and I don't want little Rolo to think there's a big mean snake hiding somewhere in the new tank.

Any idea how long it will take for Elvis to calm down after his escapade? He's shaking his tail and making bitey faces at me every time I walk past. :(

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I saw a couple of things at the pet store today when getting mice. The first thing was cool, I got to see a snake drinking, which I've never seen before. The second one was not so cool, it was a spider ball python moving its head really weird. The guy at the store said it was wobbles. I had no idea that happened. :/ Spiders are so pretty too.

I got a couple of better picture of Elvis, the angriest snake alive today. He's looking pretty good I think.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

I wonder how long this nonsense is going to last. :rolleyes:

Here he is before being a jerk:

Silver Nitrate fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 12, 2014

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I went to the MN Reptile Expo and there was the cutest little Texas bull snake there, so I had to bring it home. The guy said this one is 7 months old. The scales are just so pretty. :3

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
So, next month my kings both have hatchdays. Elvis will be two and Rolo will be one. What can I give them as a present?

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I joined the local Herp Society and I decided to foster a Boa constrictor. He's very pretty and I can't wait until he's settled in and I can pet him.

This tank is just temporary, he's getting moved to a much bigger enclosure tomorrow after I finish fixing its lid.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Foster snake got his new set up today. I did really well at the Herp Society Raffle, so most of this stuff I got with a 25 cent ticket. :)

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I'm going to do a snake photo dump because my snakes are very pretty and you should look at them.

This is Rolo, my yearling hypo Cali King. A bit over two feet.

This is the famous Elvis, my friendly two year old Cali King. Now three feet long.

This is my yearling Bullsnake, who does not have a name, but is pretty cool. He's a big bluffer and does his angry face every time I pull out the camera. About 3/5 feet long.

This is the female hypo Boa constrictor (het kahl albino) that I am picking up after I move next week.

I've been fostering a very nice Boa constrictor for the last month. She went to her new home yesterday.

I picked up this foster also yesterday and I've already decided to keep her. She's a grey rat snake, about 4 1/2 feet long and very healthy looking. Estimated to be around 3 years old.

So... those are my snakies!

This is the big fat toad that lives in my back yard. Its name is Bob and it has lived here for at least three years.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Leperflesh posted:

Wow Bob is amazing. He looks big enough to eat mice. Where do you live? Also, is Elvis biting the gently caress out of your hand there or what is going on.

I'm in Minnesota. Bob is definitely big enough to eat a hopper. :) Elvis is always biting. He's not been very friendly since his two month long escape earlier this year.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Guess what I just purchased in a parking lot through craigslist?!?

It's a female Dumeril's ground boa! I'm going to use her to do meet-and-greets with the local herp society hopefully also breed her. She's not big enough for that yet, but with the fancy enclosures and Herpstat 4(s) I have coming, it will be really easy to temperature cycle properly. She's got a mustache and angry eyebrows. :3 Deciding to use my new furniture budget for snakes and snake accessories instead of furniture was the best idea I've ever had. :D I've got a bunch of large enclosures coming in next week and it will be so nice not to have to deal with aquariums anymore. Plus, they stack so I can have some space back.

Silver Nitrate fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 14, 2014

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I've only bought one animal from an expo and he was kind of an impulse purchase and has one eye bigger than the other so I won't be breeding him, but he's otherwise healthy and a good pet. So, if you go that route bring your phone with you to check the BOI or other things about who you are buying from and get a really good look at the snake because otherwise you will be like me and go, "OMG I've always wanted one and it's the right price, sold!" and end up with a wonky eyed snake. There are also a billion people online who sell animals and snake ship pretty well, but that's for later when you are okay with getting an animal that isn't as tame/small/big/whatever as you had hoped.

It is really best if you can get your enclosure set up and temp/humidity adjusted before hand. Also, figure out where you're going to get your snake food from and look up an vet that does herps in your area. :)

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Octolady posted:

Anyone know the best way to transport a crestie to the vet? (Or any other small lizard) All I have at the moment is a large size kritter keeper.

Also has anyone has a gecko drop its tail at the vet? I'm just hoping it isn't too stressful for her...

I would just poke some holes in a properly sized tupperware, like what you would ship one in.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Cowslips Warren posted:

Trials with the Breaking Bad baby snakes continue.

Tuco, aptly named, is a crazy feeder and eats fuzzy mice, as many as we offer him, whenever we offer him. He ate before his first shed.

Saul Goodman likes small fuzzy mice.

Jesse wants pinkie rats.

Heisenberg has eaten 1 pinkie rat and refused others.

And Tio Hector has yet to eat. I've offered him in his cage, in a feed box, over day, over night. Pinkie rats, fuzzy rats, alive and dead, fuzzy mice, pinkie mice, all scented with rats gerbils, or just as mice. Nothing. Last idea, before braining, is to use the African Soft Furred juvies I got ($20 for four small ones) as scenters and try it all over again.

Any ideas how to get this little fucker to eat before I start assist feeding?

Try scenting with chicken, tuna, or feeding lizards.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
In preparation for my ~fingers crossed~ upcoming baby Solomon Island Ground Boas, I got a frog to help with scenting. It's a pixie frog and this morning I woke up and it was staring at me. I think it was watching me sleep.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

beyonder posted:

Decided to get my first snake. Still in the "lets make his/her first home pretty" phase but hey you gotta start somewhere.

Guestion: which one is easier for a beginner? Corn or hognose?

Corns are probably better. They tend to eat more reliably, be tame, and have simple care requirements. They also come in a ton of colors. That said, hoggies are super cute. Either snake is a good beginner snake. :)

I may be a bit biased, but my bullsnake is my favorite of what I would consider my starter snakes. They can get pretty big though.

Silver Nitrate fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 28, 2014

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I should post more pictures. Here are my Dumeril's ground boas.

This is Doris. She is a super calm snake. I can plop her on my lap and she will just hang out there while I read. I actually posed her for this picture. :P

This is Rodger. He is Doris' future mate. He's got a few years of growing to do first.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I put my Candoia carinata paulsonis together for a picture and they stole my hook.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Big Centipede posted:

Very cool. Not enough people with candoia out there. Have you bred them?

Not yet, I will be brumating them soon and I'll give it a shot next year :)

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Ugh, I bought a cricket keeper because my old ice cream tub was ugly and I put fresh crickets in there and now they are all dead. WTF WHO MAKES CRICKET KEEPERS OUT OF POISON?@!?

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I don't really want to bother with a roach colony for two stupid anoles. YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE FOOD.

Also, my adult male paulsoni is still not eating. I have tried mice, rats, ASF, anoles, frogs, chicks, fish, and scenting with all kinds of things. He was supposedly eating rats before I got him but I don't really trust the place I got him from.

Today I pissed him off with a mouse, he struck and killed it, then left it there and went to his hide. I threw a frog in with him for overnight but honestly I don't think it's going to work. I'm so sick of assist feeding this fucker I just want to strangle him. ahhhhhhhhhhh

I'm going to wash out the cricket thing really well and try again, but why the gently caress would they sell a poison cricket keeper? That just seems irresponsible.

Edit: Big Centipede that looks like a cool snake you should def. get one.

Silver Nitrate fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 3, 2014

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
He's about 5 feet long, a very large adult. It's been four months with me, imported seven months ago. He started loosing weight last month and I began assist feeding him. His weight loss has stopped but the only thing I can get in him is mouse pinks and he'll only cooperate with being fed up to four at a time, so I've been doing that once a week now. He's pretty thin too, very easy to feel his ribs. Compared to my female who is about 4 1/2 feet he's much, much thinner. He's so pretty and I need him to make babies so this is very frustrating.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
He has to make a poo before he can be tested. Hoping that happens soon.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I'd like to get a pair of ATBs at some point, but right now all I have room for is terrestrial animals. They're such pretty things, even if they are made of hate. I'm working on selling off my colubrids and I'm going to focus on boids. :)

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

DrNutt posted:

Is there a trick to balls or something? Initially I wanted to get a ball python, but I ended up adopting a neglected corn snake (previous owners were feeding it one pinky a month and it was about a foot long at over a year old) and I've really enjoyed him. I work at a pet store that regularly has baby balls, and while I've never been struck, they always seem to be moody assholes. Is it something they grow out of? We took in a juvenile ball that was about three times as big as the babies to adopt out once, and he seemed just as much of a dick.

I'm just kind of intimidated because they get so much bigger around than a corn and I've yet to handle one that didn't seem one irritation away from biting the poo poo out of me. I wish I had the space for a red tail and/or didn't have any cats.

The more handling a snake has, the calmer they are. A lot of the time babies are nippy because they are scared about a giant monster picking them up and touching them. They usually calm down after a couple of months.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Sorry to hear that Cowslips. :(

So, I brought my non-feeder to the vet today. The vet gave him a appetite stimulant/wormer and some protein slurry. I should know if it worked in a week or two. This is him a couple of weeks ago. You can see he has started to loose weight.

This is what he gets tube fed until he starts eating again.

I've heard from one person who had success tube feeding and rehabilitating their snake using this stuff, so hopefully it works for my guy. He's kept it down since his vet visit earlier today, which is a good sign. I really want him to pull through, but if he doesn't start eating in the next couple of weeks I'm just going to return him to where I bought him from and send out the female on a breeder's loan. Blah snakes are stressful.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
He refused an anole and a mouse last weekend, but he did make a poo and has been moving around more. Going to try another anole and mouse this weekend.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Stupid loving snake still not eating. Had anoles in his cage for 48 hours now. :( My dad is coming over this weekend to help tube him. Blarg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
5 weeks isn't too long, especially this time of year. If I was in your position I would offer her a live pinkie and see if that triggers her feeding response. Feeding live has risks and not a lot of people do it, but that is what I would do because I have pinkies to try with. Alternatively, offer an appropriately size F/T rat, sometimes the different smell makes them want to eat more.

At just 5 weeks, I'm guessing she is just nervous about her new home then got a bit of a chill and went into brumation mode, especially if she was exposed to temps that low. It might take a while for her to wake up from sleepy mode, but I bet she'll eat now that you have her temperatures correct.

• Locked thread