Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
We'll dance and we'll play
Now, it's very easy
Come on in
Just take a chance and shake a fin~

cubivore posted:

Nobody answered me last time and since I've popped into Pet Island again anyway, I'm gonna ask again:

How often should my baby rosy boa be shedding? I'm not exactly how small he is, but he doesn't seem much bigger than the baby ones they usually sell at pet stores so it's about that. I've had him for over a year and he's shed twice in that time. He seems perfectly healthy, I feed him one pinky a week, his tank temperature is usually around a high 70.

Should I up the temperature/feed him more, or is this normal?

I just got a rosy boa (weighs approx 25g) and she was fine eating a fuzzy. Consider feeding yours larger food, the general rule of thumb is 1-1.5x the diameter of the snake at its thickest region. Also I think 70 is too cold. They are desert snakes and all the guides I have seen recommend high 80s. I agree with the other poster, my healthy snabies shed about once a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in

Big Centipede posted:

Awesome news on the rubber boas. They fill the "so-ugly-they're-cute" snake niche. I've decided to basically stop getting snakes for a while, but I had considered maybe strating a rubber boa project some day (as of now though I think my next project might be Eryx jayakari).

I've been meaning to give you a call, but it's been more hectic than usual here though (we're planning a wedding). Shipping couldn't be more simple though, I'll PM you instructions later today.

Rubber boas are on the same level as cute as Kenyans and Rosies :3: Also are those sand boas the only ones with eyes so far onto the top of their heads? Some serious flounderness going on there.

Two questions!

1. Why is my rosy boa pacing her cage and trying to get out, even the day after I feed her? Is it just a normal baby rosy boa thing where they climb everything? It's really cute to see her climbing and then later hear a soft thump as she falls ever so gracefully onto her walnut shells :v: She was about 33g before I fed her on Tuesday and I gave her a decent sized fuzzy, so I'm not sure it's a size of the food issue. Hot side of the cage is about 90*F and cool side is probably high 70s-low 80s.

2. I fed my 2 year old ball python on Tuesday after she had been off feed for 2-3 weeks (with no change in condition) and while she was eating her rat she did her usual 'stand up while swallowing prey' thing. I took the opportunity to peek inside her mouth and she struck at me (missed, thank god) with rat feet and a tail hanging out of her mouth :pwn: I waited for her to finish eating again and began to stand up to check my rosy who was eating in a second box nearby and she struck at me and missed again. The only time she's struck at me before is when my boyfriend had rats in the same room as her and she was going bonkers smelling them constantly (this situation has long since changed). Can I attribute this instance to her being in eating mode and me giving off a bunch of heat? Her temps are good and her humidity has actually been up since I added a container full of coconut fiber and moss to her cage.

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in

SpaceBees posted:

So I've been handling my ball python lately and hearing a "whistling" noise. Now I'm aware that ball pythons can develop respiratory infections, however he doesn't have any symptoms such as mucus in the nose, and isn't open mouth breathing. I think since his belly is a little pink, he's getting ready to shed and its just a piece of dead skin in his nostril. However, what do you guys think? Should I take him to the vet anyway? There has not been any other problems, he's eating normally, not "yawning" or anything like that, so I don't want to start freaking out if this is normal. If there is cause for alarm I will take him to the vet.

This happens to mine every time she's about to shed and I have a minor panic attack until I check the humidity for the zillionth time, watch her like a hawk to see if she's stargazing, and sticking my face absurdly close to her nose to try and find any trace of excess snot. Then I check her belly or notice she's kind of dull and I'm like, :doh:. Then again, mine has had an URI so I know what she looks like with one. I would guess it's nothing to worry about, but that's just me!

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in

SpaceBees posted:

He's definitely about to shed. Just checked and there is some dead skin starting to peel and his belly is pink. My temps/humidity are fine. I'm glad I'm the only one that doesn't have a minor panic attack when this happens though. For future reference, the signs of a real RI are mucus and open mouth breathing, right? Aside from a mite infestation from some bad bedding which I killed, this snake has never had any problems. Eats well, is healthy, etc.

Yes, Snickers was stargazing way more than "that corner reminds me, I'm hungry!" and breathing with her mouth open (very, very weird). Luckily her appetite has been normal (for a BP, anyway) since then, and that was over 2 years ago :)

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in

Rat posted:

When he settles and stops being ornery I will get better pictures. I was told he loves going for walks and he did come with a nice harness too.

:3: I wish I had a lizard I could take for walks!

Do the spurs on any snakes ever get long enough to warrant clipping like cat toe nails? I just wondered if that was a thing, because Snickers' are decently sized, but my rosy has tiny little nubs I didn't even notice at first.

Also, why isn't my 2 year old corn snake eating? These are the same damned micicles she had been getting for the past month or so, and she hasn't eaten in 3 weeks which is extremely weird because she's always been my champion eater :( I have yet to try a differently sized prey item, but nothing has changed in her cage or anything so I am really at a loss. At the same time, I haven't noticed any weight loss, so I'm probably just worrying over nothing. Is she horny? I thought that time had already passed. She's not in shed (though she's eaten reliably during shedding before so I don't know) either.

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in

Big Centipede posted:

You should never have to trim a snake's spurs.

The corn might be horny... as long as it's drinking and not losing weight, don't worry about it.

I would never, I just wondered if anyone ever had to. One of those things that just spontaneously comes to mind, I guess!

Is snake horniness described as similar to "I'm hungry" behavior? She's going all over her cage (getting bedding in her water every day :doom:) and I've tried to feed her 3 or 4 times over the past 3 weeks. I was not expecting this. For some reason I imagined it as more like dogs or cats, where she'd only get randy if there was a mate around or something, which is probably incredibly stupid thinking. I need to obtain a bigger mouse to see if she's finally given up on what I've got, and also to stop worrying.

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in
So, after a week long battle with god knows what, my little Pixel has died :sigh: She had a blockage in her cloaca, clearly not from eating her walnut shell bedding, I took her to the vet and they were at a loss. She had lost 2g out of the measly 9 she weighed but, "try feeding her often and bring in a stool sample" was my advice. I waited a few days between feedings (one the day after the vet, one four days later) and she had lost another gram in the mean time somehow, and developed another blockage. She must have gone septic or something, because her waste smelled more awful than regular eau de poop. It hurt a lot but I'm glad that I was there when it happened rather than me going in to her cage to get her and pulling her out limp with no warning. I'm not happy she died, but it is somewhat of a relief as I had sometimes wondered if it were more humane to just have her put down. RIP you skinny little Kenyan, I hope you get big and fat on whatever the hell you want (guessing not high quality cat food) up in that big dirt pit in the sky!

In other, less sad news... I am going to be moving from Delaware to central Florida here in about two weeks. It's going to be a 16 hour drive or so, hopefully without making an overnight stop. I have Rubbermaid type containers for each of my four remaining snakes, some cushion foam to absorb bumps/music vibrations, and some UniHeat 40+ hour warmers (because the A/C is going to be on).

My plan is to get a cardboard box big enough to fit both the largest containers side by side, put a layer or two of foam in the bottom, and to fasten the heat pack between them. On top of them will be the other 2 containers, with another heat pack between them. Inside each container will be one snake in either a snake bag or a pillow case. I may end up adding some foam between the two containers on the top and the two on the bottom. This is for transporting a ball python, two corn snakes, and a rosy boa. Am I missing anything?

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in

Joonami posted:

My plan is to get a cardboard box big enough to fit both the largest Rubbermaid containers side by side, put a layer or two of foam in the bottom, and to fasten the heat pack between them. On top of them will be the other 2 containers, with another heat pack between them. Inside each container will be one snake in either a snake bag or a pillow case. I may end up adding some foam between the two containers on the top and the two on the bottom. This is for transporting a ball python, two corn snakes, and a rosy boa. Am I missing anything?

Thanks mushroom_spore for the humidity idea. I forgot to mention before that this is mostly going to be an overnight drive but I will certainly cover them to avoid sunlight. My question is, do I really need a snake bag for everyone? Definitely for my older corn snake and ball python, but I'm not sure about the rosy and smaller corn is it necessary? I only ask because I misplaced one of the snake bags while packing and all the sheet sets are on the truck :doom:

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in
Does anyone have any experience with sandboamorphs.com? After the loss of my anery kenyan Pixel, I really would like to get another one at the Orlando Repticon in December. I know FIRE is this weekend but I have no money.

Anyway this site is one of the sponsors of Repticon (also at every Repticon from what I gather) and they seem decent, I just wondered if anyone had bought from them before and how that went.

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in

Pew! Pew! posted:

ZarathustraFollower: I like them more aesthetically. I know that's a really dumb reason but I adore the way pythons look; have for a long while.

Ball pythons are great little guys. They're really good couch potato snakes. Occasionally I will have mine out while I'm watching TV/playing PS3 and she's either just hanging out on my legs or sticking her face between the joysticks on the controller :3: I love her dopey little peanut head. Balls are notoriously picky eaters, so echoing what others have said, try and find one that is already established on F/T rodents. Safer and more cost effective! I was able to nab 25 frozen small rats for $30-35 at the last reptile show I went to. I have to feed my ball inside a plastic shoebox, because otherwise she gets distracted by...something and won't eat. The box makes her focus on the prey :downs:

I would also like to point out that Rosy Boas are great first snakes. I've wanted one since I was 12 and finally was able to obtain one and she's completely hilarious and very personable. She does have a tendency to think I'm her dinner on feeding days though, which leads to some entertaining mouthing on her part (more surprising than painful, but she's never gotten me very well because I pay attention to her behavior during feeding time).

Cowslips Warren, I know you have/breed Kenyans. Do you have any size reference pictures for a full grown male next to a full grown female? My google-fu is apparently broken. Also, do you notice any difference in temperament between males and females? My gut says there shouldn't be, but I've only had female snakes due to coincidence, and am looking to pick up a male sand boa (due to my perception of their size difference in relation to females) and figured I'd ask.

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in

Cowslips Warren posted:

Not as such, I can post some pics of mine this weekend if that would help. I do know that one of my females was sold to me as a male, as she's pretty slender, but she gave birth several times and is a girl for sure. The other female is huge, wide, and always looks pregnant. The two adult males are under 2 feet long and are much thinner.

My albino male (I hate the term albino, I have yet to see red eyes on any 'albino' sand boa) is very nippy, but they all go through that, I think. He was not handled by his first owner much but his future anery girlfriends, daughters of my two females above, are pretty chill even without frequent handling.

Where are you getting your male from? Most good herp stores can pop the snakes for you, same as at reptile shows. The latter especially; no one wants to be known as the guy who sexed his snakes wrong.

The reason I was looking for a comparison shot of full grown adults is because I think the big girthy adult females look, well, ridiculous. :shobon: I know male snakes in general are smaller so I was hoping it would look less silly. It's just that I've seen pictures of pairings where the male looks TINY compared to the mom to be, but I know that males sexually mature before females and I have no concept of an adult male size. I have no interest in breeding, it's just an aesthetics thing for me. Also it would mean a smaller cage which would be good for my apartment.

I was planning on picking one up from sandboamorphs.com when I go to the Orlando Repticon show in December. I can't decide on the morph I want, but I think either a high orange or high yellow of some kind. Nippy just means it has a good prey drive, right? Considering my anery female that died in july was anorexic, that sounds tolerable to me, haha.

Everything else aside, I would very much appreciate it if you could post some comparison shots of yours. :)

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in

Slinky Weasel posted:

I'm trying to set up a tank for my snake and bought a under-tank-heater and mounted it on the size (I figured it was safer) and it's not really heating the tank. It's a ten gallon aquarium and I bought a ZooMed UTH. The ambient temp in my room is around 70F and it's heating the aquarium to 72-73F. Am I doing something wrong? >__>

Are you measuring the temperature with a digital thermometer or an infrared gun? I have dimmer switches on all my UTHs because otherwise they can hit 130* F or higher, but those lcd strip thermometers don't give accurate readings on that.

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in

Slinky Weasel posted:

I'm using this thermometer as well as an aquarium thermometer that I was using to double check the accuracy. I have a digital aquarium thermometer I could take out of one of my tanks, would that work?

I'm not sure, does it have a temperature probe on it? I know for instance petco has digital 'reptile' thermometers for about $9, though I bet you can also get similar things at walmart or something. The probe should be on the glass under the substrate and then test again above the substrate.

Edit: Here's the link to petco's digital thermometer. http://www.petco.com/product/106227/Zoo-Med-Digital-Thermometer.aspx

You can find dimmer switches at home depot/lowe's or sears hardware if you need them :)

Joonami fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 13, 2012

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in

Little_Viking posted:

Anyone with experience with Sand Boas? Ive had kings, corns and milks for years, and Im looking into trying out Boas. The red tails of course have their appeal, but something about Sand Boas are appealing to me. Ive been doing some research, and it seems that many sand boas wont take F/T. The city I live in is tough to find feeders, so I stick to having frozen rodents shipped. Any pros/cons with the separate subspecies?? (Once again, Ive mostly been browsing kingsnake.com and haven't found a whole lot of really specific info.)

They're great little snakes :3: I had one before that was poorly bred and wouldn't take any food no matter what I tried (she eventually died) but I have a little Kenyan boy now that I got from sandboamorphs.com while at a reptile show and he chows down on f/t pinkies like a pro! He also is terrible at hiding and I like to play "find the Petri" with my boyfriend and I would highly recommend them :3: they have a lot of personality and are very curious and try to dig through your hands with their dopey shovel faces!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in

Pew! Pew! posted:

My ball python eats better if I feed her in a dark place so that's what I do.

Usually. (linked for dead rat)

Lately mine will only eat if I lock her (read: loosely put the lid on top) in a plastic shoebox and leave her alone for a few hours or overnight. How they survive in the wild is beyond me.

• Locked thread