Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

My story about the guy here in MN kinda falls in line with your post, but I'd like you to ask yourself this: do you think you'd be at the peak of your game after 2 8hr workshops? If not, why bother creating a demo before you're ready? Not to mention paying (what I assume to be) hundreds of dollars for it. You will get x99999 more experience by reading aloud and practicing on your own than any "invitation only" workshop.

Practice is free.

When the time actually comes for you to put together a demo, you'll know it (because you'll realize how much your voice has changed/strengthened).

No you're totally right. :) I know that voice actors aren't rolling in money, and I'm pretty broke myself, so it's not really worth it. It would likely cost a lot more than even my vocal lessons did.

Guess I'll fill this out now.

Name: Nessa

Specialties: I guess I'd describe my voice as pretty quiet and higher pitched, but not overly frilly (if that makes any sense). I could probably voice young girls, little boys and old ladies best.

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/Xgirl1251 All I have on there right now is a song I sang from the first and only time I ever set foot in a recording studio. It's easy to hear how nervous I was, but should give a decent impression of what my voice sounds like.

Contact: Feel free to PM or email me. My email is Xgirl1251 @ gmail.com

Payment: I've got a Paypal account, but I'm really just looking for practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Snake
Apr 1, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Name- Sgt. Snake

Specialties- Sleazy, over-enthusiastic game-show host, radio imaging informer.
Tindeck Sample (Milk!)-

Porfolio- Narrarating an 8 year old's "Jaws" fan-fiction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIjxQ9kLO00
Voice acting as the character POOPLOSER_69 aka Snake in Minecraft: The N00b Adventures https://www.youtube.com/show?p=nBC-74rwGZg

Payment: Paypal, anything, really.

-The milk ad I slopped together from a script I was given by a vocal coach, with whom I signed up for a single private class. I recorded some acoustic guitars over the back and programmed in a banjo, but the acoustics were done way too low, hence the "hiss" in the background. Either way, I did it quick and dirty just to hear what it'd sound like. I really plan on eventually spending a whole month recording some quality demos and submitting them, I would love to make a few extra bucks doing voice spots. Any advice or feedback?

Sgt. Snake fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 19, 2012

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Sgt. Snake posted:

-The milk ad I slopped together from a script I was given by a vocal coach, with whom I signed up for a single private class. I recorded some acoustic guitars over the back and programmed in a banjo, but the acoustics were done way too low, hence the "hiss" in the background. Either way, I did it quick and dirty just to hear what it'd sound like. I really plan on eventually spending a whole month recording some quality demos and submitting them, I would love to make a few extra bucks doing voice spots. Any advice or feedback?
This actually isn't half-bad! Only thing I'd recommend is to speak a little slower and emphasize certain parts, namely the end of your sentences. For example:

"like no other beverage" = slower and more of a solid ending.

"beyond calcium" = slower and more succinct with an expectant lead-in tone to "milk's got b-vitamins for energy."

"and protein for lean muscle" = more of a solid ending.

"Got milk?" = delay 1s - 1 1/2s and slightly slower.

The background hiss aside, your voice is pretty spot-on for "the average mid-30's, born in the city but decided to get a lil old farm out west" type voice that meshes perfectly for a lot of agricultural commercials. For those spots, it's always either "your type" of voice, or an "old man farmer" voice.

Main thing I'd say: talk a little slower and end your sentences more solidly. Other than that, you have a very solid base to work from. Good technical control too (no noticable pops, etc...).

Hope that helps a bit!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Okay, so if I were to post a couple minutes of me reading some dialogue from Phoenix Wright, would that be something I could be critiqued on? Or should it be something else? Should I wait for something to be suggested to me?

Sgt. Snake
Apr 1, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Thanks a bunch! I really appreciate the feedback, it's very hard for me to know what to change when I listen back to my own voice, so it's very helpful to have some other input.

Like I said, I intend to record a few more demos here soon to submit to an agency, so I may come back with a couple more for some feedback from you.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Nessa posted:

Okay, so if I were to post a couple minutes of me reading some dialogue from Phoenix Wright, would that be something I could be critiqued on? Or should it be something else? Should I wait for something to be suggested to me?
If you have a script to read, go ahead and record it. Surprised goons aren't asking random stuff to be read by folks yet, but there's no sense in waiting.

Sgt. Snake posted:

Like I said, I intend to record a few more demos here soon to submit to an agency, so I may come back with a couple more for some feedback from you.
No problem; that's why I started the thread!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The Joe Man posted:

Surprised goons aren't asking random stuff to be read by folks yet, but there's no sense in waiting.

Well, I'd be interested in hearing goon renditions of "The Raven" (Shakespeare). I want to do a sample of this myself too just to get some feedback/criticism on my voice; I've been told I read out loud pretty well but I have never been critiqued on how to improve my voice or given an idea of how much I could do with it. I'll probably post my voice once gunk stops dripping down my throat and making me cough it up, hopefully in the next few days.

e: I guess I should link to it even if it's trivial to google: http://famouspoetsandpoems.com/poets/edgar_allan_poe/poems/18848

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 20, 2012

MrChrome
Jan 21, 2001
I'm a DJ (https://www.djchrome.net) and I've been looking for someone to record some bumpers for me for when I DJ live. My friends and I have tried to make these a few times but they all sound terrible. If someone wants to have some fun, try to record some bumpers like this:

"DJ Chrome, in the mix"

"You're listening to DJ Chrome"

"DJ Chrome, in the mix, live..."

Or anything similar to this. You can be creative. I can do all the post-processing and sound effects.

I don't have any money right now, the most I can shoot you is $5 via paypal. Anything would be appreciated!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I'm a voice actor.

If anyone has any questions about the industry (or wants to hire me oh god please hire me user name at gmail) I'll answer them.

Also I'll upload a tin deck tonight. All my demos are on industry sites you need access to.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Also, gonna throw this out here, but if you ever see "voice acting classes", they're never worth your time, if not outright scams.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...
Name: bigtom

Specialties: Accents include NY/NJ, Boston, as well as Yiddish/Jewish. I have a smooth, mature voice, somewhat low but not Barry White. Can deliver high energy or laid back & relaxed

Portfolio: http://bigtomlawler.com/?page_id=6...scroll to the bottom for my voice demo (under Production), or listen to the radio demos

Payment: Paypal preferred

Equipment: Shure SM-7B, Symmetrix 528E mic processor, M-Audio MBOX soundcard. Will give with compression/eq and without for comparison.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Well, I'd be interested in hearing goon renditions of "The Raven" (Shakespeare). I want to do a sample of this myself too just to get some feedback/criticism on my voice; I've been told I read out loud pretty well but I have never been critiqued on how to improve my voice or given an idea of how much I could do with it. I'll probably post my voice once gunk stops dripping down my throat and making me cough it up, hopefully in the next few days.

e: I guess I should link to it even if it's trivial to google: http://famouspoetsandpoems.com/poets/edgar_allan_poe/poems/18848

Posting this for feedback:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The Aphasian posted:

Posting this for feedback:

I think you have a really good speaking voice and all of your words are very clearly spoken.:)

It's very monotone though. Every verse sounds the same and some lines are even a little robotic sounding. I think something like The Raven needs more inflection and emotion put into the voice.

Wet Bandits Copycat
Apr 18, 2004

So I don't want to pursue voice acting as a vocation, HOWEVER, I do lots of voice overs for these videos that I make about microbiology. I've got a really boring, droning, voice. Is there some way I can make this slightly better? I feel myself improving with practice, but if there's something specific that would really help then I'd like to hear it.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

nunchi posted:

So I don't want to pursue voice acting as a vocation, HOWEVER, I do lots of voice overs for these videos that I make about microbiology. I've got a really boring, droning, voice. Is there some way I can make this slightly better? I feel myself improving with practice, but if there's something specific that would really help then I'd like to hear it.
If you'd link a video/audio file, I can do my best to help you and give specific advice. There's absolutely no way I can give you specific advice if I can't hear it.

As a general tip for what I assume to be your problem though, I'd recommend for you to imagine yourself speaking on-stage to a large group of people. They're all here to listen & see you, and they want to be entertained. Sound interested and excited about what you're talking about!

poo poo, pretend you're Beakman.

Wet Bandits Copycat
Apr 18, 2004

The Joe Man posted:

If you'd link a video/audio file, I can do my best to help you and give specific advice. There's absolutely no way I can give you specific advice if I can't hear it.

As a general tip for what I assume to be your problem though, I'd recommend for you to imagine yourself speaking on-stage to a large group of people. They're all here to listen & see you, and they want to be entertained. Sound interested and excited about what you're talking about!

poo poo, pretend you're Beakman.

When I post my tutorial about how to read plates on youtube I'll also include it in this thread.

Triangle Head
Jan 5, 2006

Awesome, a VO thread! Mind adding me to the list?

Name: Triangle Head

Specialties: Female medium-low to high range. When naturally speaking, I sound young (teens to early 20s, med-high). Capable of children's voices (girls and boys). As for goofy impressions, I can imitate Veronica Taylor's Ash Ketchum voice (y'know, from the first season of Pokemon), Jigglypuff (Pokemon yet again), and Stitch from Lilo and Stitch.

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/trianglehead

IMDB/Portfolio: No proper portfolio or demo at the moment, but I've been voice acting as a hobby for years. Some very old SA related samples:

The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing by Chewbot. Only parts 01 and 12 have official audio tracks. I played Billy and Penny.

I also have some ancient voicemail messages that I put together for fellow goons in an old thread in my Tindeck. Hopefully I can get some recent stuff up soon.

Payment: I've got Paypal, but I'm happy to just get more practice. We can talk about it.

Like I said, voice overs have been a hobby of mine for a long time and now I'm trying to pursue it as an actual career. Started out with some miscellaneous Logitech headset, moved on to a Blue Snowball, and now I'm using a Blue Yeti.

The Voice Acting Alliance and Voice Acting Club are good places for practice (and some paid work, if you're lucky). A LOT of stuff on those boards are anime or video game related, but there's plenty of original projects on their too. I've also been meaning to sign up on Newgrounds, but my eyes seem to glaze over every time I look at their message board.

Oh, Edge Studio has a weekly script recording contest with prizes. Even if you don't enter, you can practice with the prompts -- they also have a huge database of free scripts.

MrChrome posted:

I'm a DJ (https://www.djchrome.net) and I've been looking for someone to record some bumpers for me for when I DJ live. My friends and I have tried to make these a few times but they all sound terrible. If someone wants to have some fun, try to record some bumpers like this:

"DJ Chrome, in the mix"

Or anything similar to this. You can be creative. I can do all the post-processing and sound effects.

I don't have any money right now, the most I can shoot you is $5 via paypal. Anything would be appreciated!

Gave it a shot and read the three bumps:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I really appreciate you posting this thread. I am surprised that we have so much talent here!

I am coming at it from a different angle; more 'broadcast-y' for lack of a better term. See, i'm starting one of these terrible ironic internet meta podcasts soon, hopefully. I have a lot of things to say, and no idea how to say them. More to the point: I have a very un-powerful, weedy voice that could be well described as 'a voice fit for print'. A lot of the podcast/recording stuff is going to be me working towards my ultimate goal which is to do a couple open mic nights at local standup clubs.

The funny bit is, I have been a ham radio operator for twenty years and a phone-based support tech for ten (on and off), even did a semester at the college FM rotation-factory. I've been talking all my life, but I am painfully aware that I am no golden throat.

I'd like to see if anybody has any tips on putting some huevos into my voice, mic placement, etc. I have condensers and dynamics on tap, 31 bands of eq, enough rack compression to record a death metal band, but you know the saying - garbage in, garbage out. Are pop filters suggested/mandatory? Stuff like that, more towards the voice angle than the acting angle.

I would really appreciate any discussion on this so that I can avoid having to work on my Ira Glass impression as my gimmick.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Since no one has posted anything for you guys to read yet, I'll throw one out there. I work at a hockey rink part time and I volunteered to do the birthday announcements when they come up. I enjoy doing it and I have fun with it using an over-campy loud "top 40 radio DJ" voice. I have absolutely no professional training but VO acting interests me. I would love to see how mine compares to professional VA. So if you guys want, here is one for fun/practice:

Length: 10-40 seconds, its generally brief, but feel free to draw it out if possible.

Due: n/a this is practice

Notes: Sound excited, this is to announce a kids birthday, be loud and clear so you can be heard via loudspeakers in the hockey rink

Script: Attention Grundy Arena. We would like to wish Jane Smith, a very special 10th birthday. We hope you have fun and enjoy the rest of your day here at the Grundy Arena.

Pay: Nothing, this is practice. And don't worry about your sample being used ever unless a Jane Smith comes in for her 10th birthday. And even then it won't be used.

So, if you want, here is a short practice thing.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

MrChrome posted:

"DJ Chrome, in the mix"

I took some Nuvigil today so I'm full of pep! I did these for you.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

King Lou posted:

Loved it at "Capture the Flag"

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Loved it at "Capture the Flag"

That used to trip people out when I was playing Halo. I know a guy at Bungie and I've been begging him to get me in touch with the people who do the voice casting. No luck.

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.
Shouldn't an obscure interest thread like this be in one of those creative forums or something?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I think the idea is to have GBS'rs ask us to read stuff just for practice. A VO thread would fit in Creative Convention or in Rapidly Going Deaf, I suppose. Again, I think the idea it to give SA's tiny VO population some fun stuff and inspiration to practice. Maybe get some feedback?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

King Lou posted:

haha, I love your voice! I burst out laughing at "DJ Chrome just melted your face off".

I would love to do voice acting, but right now I'm living with a band so there's a lot of background noise. Various people have told me I'm good at reading stories with emotion and it would be nice to read audio books out.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

Shouldn't an obscure interest thread like this be in one of those creative forums or something?
Nah. I don't know if you remember the random threads that would pop up, but once in awhile there'd be some "I'll read anything you want!" thread popping up in GBS (by whoever) and tons of folks would request stuff to be read/recorded.

Instead of making this "The Random Goon #54698 Show," this thread is designed to be inclusive to anyone who wants solid practice, and to anyone who makes a request.

MrChrome
Jan 21, 2001

King Lou posted:

This is awesome! That was just what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

You should also do "Gained the lead Lost the leaGained the lead"

Paypal to loureads@gmail.com?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Okay, here goes nothing.

This is just me rambling random lines from Phoenix Wright. It's a couple minutes long.

And this is my reading of The Raven.

I can already hear a ton of mistakes, so please tell me what I can do to help fix them! I should have used our better mic (a Blue Yeti), but couldn't manage to set it up properly.

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010

[fart]fart[/fart]
Paul Hogan?!

I think my brain just disolved.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

MrChrome posted:

This is awesome! That was just what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

You should also do "Gained the lead Lost the leaGained the lead"

Paypal to loureads@gmail.com?
Glad you liked it.

My paypal is kinglou@gmail.com

Thanks!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Nessa posted:

Okay, here goes nothing.

This is just me rambling random lines from Phoenix Wright. It's a couple minutes long.

And this is my reading of The Raven.

I can already hear a ton of mistakes, so please tell me what I can do to help fix them! I should have used our better mic (a Blue Yeti), but couldn't manage to set it up properly.
I listened to them, but I'm sorry; I have to ignore these simply because I don't feel that dialogue from an anime and a long Poe(m) is representative of realistic work. I know you want to improve, so I'm more than willing to help. If you could, please read/record the following:

quote:

Getting that promotion at work must feel good. Why not celebrate moving up by moving to Summerset Hills? The neighborhoods of Summerset Hills are now entering into their third phase of building! Choose from dozens of single-family homes on pie shaped lots tucked away on Lilies Fair Court, perfect for young families and parents who want a safe and secluded street on which to raise their kids. With homes selling quickly, you’d better act now so that you can move into your dream home before the first snowfall! Open houses are being held every Saturday and Sunday from 12 until 4. To learn more about the Summerset community, visit our website online or call 555-3125. Summerset Hills: move in today and stay for a lifetime.
It's supposed to be a 30s spot, but I don't care about time requirements. Just want to hear how you sound with something more down to earth.

Oh, and see that folks?! King Lou just made FIVE TAX-FREE DOLLARS!! Just from talking for a couple minutes!!!! Voice acting pays off!!!!!!

(You take what you can get in this business.)

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

I listened to them, but I'm sorry; I have to ignore these simply because I don't feel that dialogue from an anime and a long Poe(m) is representative of realistic work. I know you want to improve, so I'm more than willing to help. If you could, please read/record the following:

It's supposed to be a 30s spot, but I don't care about time requirements. Just want to hear how you sound with something more down to earth.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know what I was supposed to record.:(

I'll try to post the commercial tomorrow.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Joe Man posted:

Saw this post right at the end of my show. SAM was recording anyway so I figured I would give this a shot (ignoring time requirements) so I could start getting some feedback on this type of thing! I kept the vocals louder so nothing would bury any awful mistakes - tough when you've never really tried to do a commercial type of thing :). Still having an issue with saliva though (especially since I drink during my shows!)

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xL59CxfOWs

Anyone want to give a go at making a similar ad? Haha he always cracks me up. Its untapped market!

Couldn't find the Doors Doors Doors one.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

imnotinsane posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xL59CxfOWs

Anyone want to give a go at making a similar ad? Haha he always cracks me up. Its untapped market!

Couldn't find the Doors Doors Doors one.

It sounds like he's either laughing or trying to stifle a cough throughout the entire ad.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The Joe Man posted:

Shure SM58 (XLR wired): http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/sm/sm58-vocal-microphone
This is also a wonderful mic, and an excellent option if you have a mixing/sound board. I've used this microphone extensively in a radio station and it gives a very clean recording. Durable as hell, too. Apparently they've come out with an XLR-USB adaptor, but I don't have any experience with it so I can't comment. Might be something to look into.

Tiny pet peeve of mine is things being called a XXX to USB adaptor, and I just want to clarify for those not realising it, that in this case it's nothing but a compact and feature limited external soundcard. Keep this in mind when considering your options. Must say it's not extremely expensive, though.

I'm a bit surprised to see the SM58 recommended specifically here. It's not a bad microphone, but it's main qualities are price and durability. It's the goto mic for live, rather than studio vocal work. Although it's obviously a massive step up from built in microphones and other computer oriented gear, certainly for some quieter and higher pitched voices, more sensitivity in the higher frequencies is wanted. Which you can only really get with a condenser microphone, rather than a dynamic one. Someone correct me if I'm horribly out of line here, this is mostly based on what I've read.

I've been out of this game too long to give a specific alternative recommendation, but I've heard that on the budget side of the market, Samson has surprisingly decent offerings.

EDIT
vvvv Fair, very much so. Wasn't exactly criticizing, sorry if it sounds that way. Just honestly surprised.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 21, 2012

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

It's a good mic, and I've used it extensively without issue. I'm not going to recommend something I haven't used.

Anyone who has experience with other quality microphones is encouraged to write up a little review and I'll add it in to the OP.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

robodex posted:

It sounds like he's either laughing or trying to stifle a cough throughout the entire ad.

My throat hurt just listening to that. It sounds like the guy is tearing his vocal cords apart by trying to sustain that voice. :(

Here's the ad I did.

It's just in my regular speaking voice. I really didn't know how to approach it, as I've never read anything "non-dramatic" before. I managed to get the good microphone working, and it really emphasizes all my flaws. My voice is all hissy and blarghy.:/

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

The Joe Man posted:

quote:

Getting that promotion at work must feel good. Why not celebrate moving up by moving to Summerset Hills? The neighborhoods of Summerset Hills are now entering into their third phase of building! Choose from dozens of single-family homes on pie shaped lots tucked away on Lilies Fair Court, perfect for young families and parents who want a safe and secluded street on which to raise their kids. With homes selling quickly, you’d better act now so that you can move into your dream home before the first snowfall! Open houses are being held every Saturday and Sunday from 12 until 4. To learn more about the Summerset community, visit our website online or call 555-3125. Summerset Hills: move in today and stay for a lifetime.

Hey, I'd love some feedback too. Tried more emotion this time (thanks Nessa), but it's hard at 250 wpm.

That copywriter should be shot, preferably with a tranq gun or syringe filled with Quaaludes.
Not audible: a 3-second gasp for breath half-way through that I edited out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucia
Jul 25, 2007

This thread comes at a perfect time! I need someone to read a short passage from a book for a small kinetic type animation project I am doing for school. Right now I am using a scratch track of my own voice and it is driving me mad.

This is the passage (from Good Omens):
"The men in the room suddenly realized that they didn't want to know her better. She was beautiful, but she was beautiful in the way a forest fire was beautiful: something to be admired from a distance, not up close.
And as she held her sword, she smiled like a knife."

I would prefer an English voice actor but I'm not too picky. I can pay $10 for this, but I am very willing to pay more if it ends up taking longer than expected. If interested people could send me an email at vosgete at gmail dot com that would be wonderful! I have a few directions (and versions) to give and I think it'd be easier to do that over email. :)