Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Anyone jumping in on The Night the Year Stood Still, feel free to drop the recordings right in this thread here. You can try on multiple parts if you want, I'm not opposed to that. Have some fun with it. Be exciting!

I'll whip it into a nice, big ol' mixdown when all's said and done.

And I'll take a crack at the technobabble script when I get a chance, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Name: madlilnerd

Specialties: female and young classic English accent, can also do a more "street" accent and sometimes a northern one. I can go pretty high pitched.

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/madlilnerd

Contact: PMs, although my hotmail account is my username @hotmail.co.uk

Payment: Paypal is fine and again is username etc

I only have a lovely headset mic at the moment and will be buying a new one to avoid awful noises. I did a recording today and it had a strange screeching noise on it (that's just your voice! :downsrim:)

Anyway, there was an ad up on London Craigslist that could be of interest to some of you. Some pervert is willing to pay for a voice actor to read out an erotic story. If you get it, I wouldn't say no to a buck as a finders fee :shobon:

Lucia
Jul 25, 2007

Lucia posted:

This thread comes at a perfect time! I need someone to read a short passage from a book for a small kinetic type animation project I am doing for school. Right now I am using a scratch track of my own voice and it is driving me mad.

This is the passage (from Good Omens):
"The men in the room suddenly realized that they didn't want to know her better. She was beautiful, but she was beautiful in the way a forest fire was beautiful: something to be admired from a distance, not up close.
And as she held her sword, she smiled like a knife."

I would prefer an English voice actor but I'm not too picky. I can pay $10 for this, but I am very willing to pay more if it ends up taking longer than expected. If interested people could send me an email at vosgete at gmail dot com that would be wonderful! I have a few directions (and versions) to give and I think it'd be easier to do that over email. :)

I just wanted to say that I have picked someone for this, but thank you to everyone who sent me interest!

Adib
Jan 23, 2012

These are strange times, my dear...
Here's my submission for the big news voice. Let me know if I should change it somehow:

Incidentally I also finally got around to recording the Summerset Hills prompt. I initially did the first recording without looking at previous advice, but I later found The Joe Man's tips on the previous page for this particular prompt and decided to re-record it in a more casual (and less news reporter-y) style. Here are both takes respectively:

Please let me know what you all think! :)

Adib fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 30, 2012

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Leofish posted:

Anyone jumping in on The Night the Year Stood Still, feel free to drop the recordings right in this thread here. You can try on multiple parts if you want, I'm not opposed to that. Have some fun with it. Be exciting!

I'll whip it into a nice, big ol' mixdown when all's said and done.

And I'll take a crack at the technobabble script when I get a chance, too!

Here's an attempt at Adam. Again, feedback is awesome.

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Adib posted:

Here's my submission for the big news voice. Let me know if I should change it somehow:

A bit of feedback, take it or leave it. You're doing a nice job of reading it pleasantly, there's nothing here that's painful to listen to, but it's not clear that you're trying to affect the listener in any way. Remember that every commercial is trying to get the listener to do something (e.g. move to Summerset Hills).

You can do this in a lot of ways. For example, you can help them (I know you've been looking for the perfect place to live, I know just the place: Summerset Hills). You can inspire them (come on, you've been talking about moving for months, it's time to get off your butt and move... to Summerset Hills). You can even scare/intimidate them (these houses in Summerset Hills are perfect, but they're not going to be around forever!). Pick a tactic and commit to it. Fully. Way more than you think you have to. You've got an interesting voice, and your speech is good, but put your energy toward affecting the listener, and I think you'll have much better results.

That's just my opinion, though. Take it or leave it.

Adib
Jan 23, 2012

Stinkmeister posted:

A bit of feedback, take it or leave it. You're doing a nice job of reading it pleasantly, there's nothing here that's painful to listen to, but it's not clear that you're trying to affect the listener in any way. Remember that every commercial is trying to get the listener to do something (e.g. move to Summerset Hills).

You can do this in a lot of ways. For example, you can help them (I know you've been looking for the perfect place to live, I know just the place: Summerset Hills). You can inspire them (come on, you've been talking about moving for months, it's time to get off your butt and move... to Summerset Hills). You can even scare/intimidate them (these houses in Summerset Hills are perfect, but they're not going to be around forever!). Pick a tactic and commit to it. Fully. Way more than you think you have to. You've got an interesting voice, and your speech is good, but put your energy toward affecting the listener, and I think you'll have much better results.

That's just my opinion, though. Take it or leave it.

This is indeed very helpful advice! I did notice that I could have been coming off as a little uninterested in the listener per se and too focused on how I articulated the passage. I'm glad that you confirmed that suspicion—now I can work on it.

Appreciate the tip! :)

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Adib posted:

The first part of it was okay. Your THIS was just about where I'd want it. THIS is the WORLD. NEWS. CHANNEL. The World News Channel is a big deal. Really hit the name of the station. The WORLD. NEWS. CHANNEL. We are AUTHORITATIVE AND IMPORTANT. Leave a very brief pause in between each word (but not too long) to really emphasize the name.

But you really threw away Slate. Poor Slate! He's the reason folks tune in. He's the star of the show, even if it is a news show. Slate knows his stuff and you should listen to him because he is AUTHORITATIVE AND IMPORTANT.

Here's SLATE CASPIAN. His name is just as important as the name of the World News Channel.

I like your voice. It's got depth, and you could really make it resonate if you worked at it.

Stinkmeister posted:

Here's an attempt at Adam. Again, feedback is awesome.

I'm digging this. I like the accent. Your first read is cool and collected, which is important, Adam can't get too involved in the story. The line about people trying to reach Dick Clark: admittedly I didn't proofread this as well as I could have, but different people are attempting different ways to get his attention. Some are using megaphones, some are yelling and some are shouting happy new year. It's a list of things. (I should have used an Oxford Comma!)

You take a breath in an odd place in the second one. Just after Dick Clark but before "to say Happy New Year" which throws me off a bit. The lines are pretty long and Adam is breaking the "one thought per sentence" rule, since everyone is very tense and very tired where he is right now. I liked the way your inflection changed on "the crowd has fallen silent"

For your third one, I really want a sense of relief here. The nightmare is over

Keep it up! Thanks for taking the time to record. :)

Adib
Jan 23, 2012

Leofish posted:

The first part of it was okay. Your THIS was just about where I'd want it. THIS is the WORLD. NEWS. CHANNEL. The World News Channel is a big deal. Really hit the name of the station. The WORLD. NEWS. CHANNEL. We are AUTHORITATIVE AND IMPORTANT. Leave a very brief pause in between each word (but not too long) to really emphasize the name.

But you really threw away Slate. Poor Slate! He's the reason folks tune in. He's the star of the show, even if it is a news show. Slate knows his stuff and you should listen to him because he is AUTHORITATIVE AND IMPORTANT.

Here's SLATE CASPIAN. His name is just as important as the name of the World News Channel.

I like your voice. It's got depth, and you could really make it resonate if you worked at it.

Oh dear! Sorry Slate—I didn't mean to steal your thunder! :(

Here's a second take in the hope that he'll accept my sincerest apologies. :)

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
Name: ifire

Specialties: None yet, this just seems entertaining

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/ifire There's not much there yet. This is the first time I've used my tindeck account.

Payment: If I ever do something worth being paid for, we'll figure it out.

Leofish posted:

All right, I have something I'd like to hear some voices on. This is a script I threw together about a week before New Year's that never got voiced. I don't have any money to pay folks for it, but it's acting so I hope it can be approached in good fun.

Length: I would think the whole thing would come in at around 6 minutes or so. I don't want the reads rushed, but I would like a sense of urgency on most of the lines.

Notes: This is a series of news hits, to be played straight, about time standing still as a result of Dick Clark not finishing his New Year's Eve Countdown. The script calls for five men and one woman. One of the men is Obama, so if you can do a good impression that would be sweet. There's also a BIG NEWS VOICE which can be either sex.

BIG NEWS VOICE: Male or Female

SLATE CASPIAN (m): Lead News Anchor. Live in studio.

ADAM ERIC (m): Lead News Reporter. On location at Times Square.

JENNIFER ANDREA (f): White House Correspondent. On location at the White House.

BILL WILLIAM (m): Current Affairs Reporter. On location at O'Hare International Airport.

ANDREW WILKINS (m): Stranded traveler from Daytona, Florida. Stuck at O'Hare International.

PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA (m): El Presidente.

Script: The script is hosted here on Google Docs. I have it set to "anyone with the link" so you shouldn't need a Google account to see it.

Now, if this is a bit too far out, then we can back off from this for the time being. Let me know if you guys are interested/not interested or if you want some direction on the script. I'd be happy to oblige.

Here's my go at Andrew Wilkins, it seemed like something I could try, so.... here goes:

Edited to add: This is both Wilkins' parts in one. I continued with "God awful mother-" in case I someone edits this all together and uses my audio, haha.

FIDEL CASHFLOW fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 31, 2012

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
This is a neat thread! I've done some dabbling in amateur voice acting, and would like the input of the thread superstars on whether I've got it or not.

I've been involved with The Adventures of Luke and Joe for about 5 years now, and I think my skills have evolved pretty well. This is a 3d-animated cartoon sitcom, recorded all over the country and assembled by two guys I've never met in person. :v:

Here are a couple episodes that feature my voice(s) fairly prominently:

http://www.lukeandjoe.com/episodes/407
What If?
I'm the "Tales of Interest!" type announcer, Chief, the mad scientist, and the crazy general.

http://www.lukeandjoe.com/episodes/412
Weather Undergound
I'm Chief again, and the creepy Weather Underground guy. I think I'm one of the news anchors, too.

I'll try some of the posted material later on. I'm about to move my computer room to a different room, and hopefully I can deaden the room more to get less echo.

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Leofish posted:

I'm digging this. I like the accent. Your first read is cool and collected, which is important, Adam can't get too involved in the story. The line about people trying to reach Dick Clark: admittedly I didn't proofread this as well as I could have, but different people are attempting different ways to get his attention. Some are using megaphones, some are yelling and some are shouting happy new year. It's a list of things. (I should have used an Oxford Comma!)

You take a breath in an odd place in the second one. Just after Dick Clark but before "to say Happy New Year" which throws me off a bit. The lines are pretty long and Adam is breaking the "one thought per sentence" rule, since everyone is very tense and very tired where he is right now. I liked the way your inflection changed on "the crowd has fallen silent"

For your third one, I really want a sense of relief here. The nightmare is over

Hey, thanks for the notes! I took another shot at it with those in mind, and I think it's an improvement, but I'd love to hear what anyone else thinks:

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Stinkmeister posted:

Here's my take on the Summerset commercial:

I wanted to avoid an 'announcery' sound, but in retrospect, I'm not sure the whispery/off voice approach worked so well. I'd love to hear feedback.
I'm not going to go too in-depth on specifics in this one but it's because the same problems I'm hearing are constant throughout:

"Getting that promotion at work, must feel gooood... ;)" sounds really sexual. "by moving to Summerset Hills?" also sounds off. A few problems with the way you ended that sentence. The first problem is that your end of "hills" isn't dedicated to one finish or the other. Yes, it's a question, but you sound unsure of it yourself. The other problems continue throughout.

Your voice is really warbly. I can hear what you're trying to do with each sentence, and your intentions are (mostly) accurate...but it sounds like your voice can't stick with the way you want to deliver it. This is honestly the first time I've come up against this issue and at the moment, I have no idea of a proven method to fix it. To narrow down what the actual issue is, I would re-record it in a very stern, authoritative, almost angry voice. Save. Re-record in a slightly softer voice. Save. Re-record in an even softer voice. Save. Continue doing this until it gets ridiculous. Walk away for an hour, and then listen to them from top-to-bottom. If you were able to hold a consistent tone with each take, then pick out the one that sounds the most natural and compare it to your original recording up top. You should be able to single-out the problem.

Another issue: You heavily z your s'. This is fixable, and the solution is obvious. Practice a script with a ton of s' in it and try to keep the zzzz's out of your s'. Purely a practice/repetition issue.

Another issue: Saliva. A lot of saliva. Clear your mouth/throat before reading several times. If that's not the issue, then I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this but you might have a slight lisp.

If you can knock out these specific issues, you'll be good to go to the next step and tone down the exaggerated delivery a bit.

My critique sounds harsh but honestly, some of these are big roadblocks that will impede you from professional work. Better to knock them out now with practice before an opportunity slips by.

Adib posted:

Incidentally I also finally got around to recording the Summerset Hills prompt. I initially did the first recording without looking at previous advice, but I later found The Joe Man's tips on the previous page for this particular prompt and decided to re-record it in a more casual (and less news reporter-y) style. Here are both takes respectively:

First take is absolutely atrocious so let's just skip to the 2nd take.

2nd take is less atrocious. Is that your natural speaking voice? It sounds like you're trying to do an impersonation of your dad.

However, if that is your natural voice, you need to work on blending your sentences together naturally so it doesn't sound like you're reading from a script. This is very, very wooden. Listen to your "moving up" for the worst example of what I'm talking about. "safe and secluded street on which to raise their kids" is okay.

You also have a slight saliva/tongue click problem as well.

I think you're trying too hard to sound like an announcer and it's throwing your whole rhythm off. You're also speaking from the bottom of your throat and not resonating from the diaphragm.

HELP MEEE, HELP YOUUUUU

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 31, 2012

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

The Joe Man posted:

I'm not going to go too in-depth on specifics in this one but it's because the same problems I'm hearing are constant throughout:

drat, you're good. Thanks a ton for the criticism! The s sounds is something I've always struggled with, and I had it pretty under control a while ago (while I was in school), but I haven't been practicing since then and you're absolutely right that it's gotten really bad. Sounds like I've got a date with Edith Skinner and Speak with Distinction.

As for warbliness, I noticed the same thing you did as I was recording, and I think you described it very well. I knew what my intention was, but my voice wasn't coming along for the ride like I expected it to. I haven't had that problem in the past, but I think it's because it's been a long time since I've used my voice with intention, and I hope that as I get back into practice it'll recede.

I'll practice my rear end off and upload another take in a couple days. Thanks again Joe Man, you're awesome.

Adib
Jan 23, 2012

I second Stinkmeister: you are GOOD.

The Joe Man posted:

First take is absolutely atrocious so let's just skip to the 2nd take.

2nd take is less atrocious. Is that your natural speaking voice? It sounds like you're trying to do an impersonation of your dad.

That hurt my pride a bit, but I guess that's why I needed to hear it!

Yes actually, that is my natural speaking voice. I've had a deeper voice than my dad (and most of the people I've ever met in person) basically ever since I hit puberty, so I would have to use a much higher register if I were trying to impersonate him. ;) The voice that comes out of my mouth may sound contrived—atrocious though it may be—but I guarantee you it's genuine. I mean, obviously when I'm angry or yelling I have a much more prominent lilt in my tone—just like the rest of the world—but then, that's not my "natural speaking voice." ;) Any artificiality you're [accurately] detecting probably comes from my sticking too close to the script, an assessment with which I totally agree.

The Joe Man posted:

However, if that is your natural voice, you need to work on blending your sentences together naturally so it doesn't sound like you're reading from a script. This is very, very wooden. Listen to your "moving up" for the worst example of what I'm talking about. "safe and secluded street on which to raise their kids" is okay.

Thank you very much for not only highlighting this problem, but also for pointing to a specific occurrence. Now I see exactly what you're talking about. I'll try to be more vigilant about bridging those unnatural gaps.

The Joe Man posted:

You also have a slight saliva/tongue click problem as well.

I've actually noticed the tongue click problem before, but unfortunately I have no idea how to fix it (or at least work towards fixing it). That goes for the saliva problem as well. Any suggestions?

The Joe Man posted:

I think you're trying too hard to sound like an announcer and it's throwing your whole rhythm off. You're also speaking from the bottom of your throat and not resonating from the diaphragm.

Hmm. I'm not really sure I know how to control that, but I suppose I can try to imagine myself doing it and see where that gets me. As you can obviously tell, I have had no kind of voice training whatsoever—though I am planning on taking a "Training Your Speaking Voice" class at my university next semester, which I hope will help with my technique.

I'll try the script again tomorrow or the next day.

Thank you so much for your constructive criticism, The Joe Man. I can't get better if I don't hear feedback, so your taking the time to give me input really means a lot to me. :)

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
Adib:

If your voice naturally sounds like you are trying to lower it, try using a higher pitch. You might have just learned to talk unnaturally low for whatever reason and your voice is really tenor. It sounds like you open your throat and lower your jaw too much. Or you could be like Ray Romano's cop brother in his show.

So, try talking like Patrick [from Spongebob], like over the top, and focus on how you make that voice...then try not to do that. Patrick's character voice is like the extreme "trying to talk low" guy.

Also, what might really help is if you can read a few sentences on video, its hard to tell if you have some kind of habit without seeing what your face is doing. Got a YouTube account and a webcam?

Stinkmeister:

Whenever you end a phrase you elongate whatever the last word is. "Summerset Hilllls"

The other thing that I hear is that you need to start sentences with a higher pitch, so that by the time you end the phrase your voice has somewhere to go. I feel like the last few words are bottoming out your vocal range, thus causing the strange pitch pattern.

For example: "Third phase of buildinnng" the word building should have a rapid descent in pitch, but instead it stays the same pitch for the most part.

"raise their kids" the word kids is good, this is how all the phrases should end. Proper word length and pitch lowering.

Takoluka posted:

ChaosTheory, I just want to pop in and say you voiced my favorite interpretation of "Doom: Repercussions of Evil". Thank you for that.

Wow, its made rounds then.

ChaosTheory fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 31, 2012

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

invision posted:

Post something for me to drawl over.
Try this:

Script posted:

Want to know where the bakers of the best Independence Day pies get their filling? They wouldn’t give away their secret, but heck, we would! Everyone down from the senate to the streets goes to Uncle Sam’s Pick Your Own, a farm owned by generations of McCaskill’s, specializing in berries that make pies go red, white and blue! All the other farms are green with envy, so you’ll know where to turn on Interstate 42 just north of Bakersville. Look for the giant American flag made of fruit! That’s Uncle Sam’s Pick Your Own, open all summer long!

Or this:

2nd Script posted:

There’s nothing quite like a day down on the farm with the family, that is, unless it’s a
day on the farm with family, fresh maple syrup, and Jackson’s Sugarbush! The winter’s
been good to us here and we’d like to share the fruits of the season with you. At the
farm, you can take a ride in the one horse open sleigh, eat pancakes to your heart’s
content in the chalet or celebrate the holiday season with your folks by booking the
lodge for Christmas gatherings, complete with a tasting of our famous ice wine. It’s as
easy as dialing 555-5555 to make reservations, but hurry because dates are going fast!
Jackson’s Sugarbush, it just wouldn’t be winter without us!

Whichever one you feel most comfortable with. With the drawl, you don't have to be spot on/word-for-word.

I don't know how this'll turn out but I'm curious.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 2, 2012

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ChaosTheory posted:

Wow, its made rounds then.
I can't say for certainty that it made rounds, but I was around when the thread it came from first happened.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
This is a great thread, and your dedication to it is awesome, The Joe Man!

The thought of being a highly paid voiceover artist has entered into my head a few times in my life, especially when people tell me I have a nice voice. I'm not the greatest at impersonations, but I can cold-read well and I have a deep and clear speaking voice.

That said, any suggestions of scripts to record to get some feedback? I tried the two above, but my southern accent needs some (lots) of work.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Oh awesome, what a great idea for a thread!

Name: Camo Guitar

Specialties: I'm actually a breakfast radio announcer (been in radio for 10 years) so I'm very good at innane chatter, very quick reads with clarity and I can do a sprightly old man voice. 32 year old Australian male keen to read anything you like - fast slow, excited, serious, up to you.

Tindeck: No Tindeck, working on it.

Payment: Paypal is fine, cheques, rock up and pay my debts in person, up to you.

Camo Guitar fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 30, 2014

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
I am a voice acting wanna be. I will work up my nerve to post some audio. Until then, some tidbits:

I've been reading "There's Money Where Your Mouth Is" by Elaine Clark. Go ahead, make your dumb jokes, I'll wait.

Ms. Clark runs a school called Voice One in San Francisco, and I've taken a few introductory classes there. The book is in its third edition and I give it a hearty recommendation for anyone looking to get into the business. The school is very good, as Ms. Clark has a degree in education, plus many years of voice acting experience to perfect the curriculum with.

For those looking to tame their room acoustics, I've found no better source for acoustic foam items than broadcast supplier Markertek.com. They have large sheets of egg-crate foam, blade tiles, and bass traps, at good prices. Why is this cheaper than the other stuff? The other stuff has a better fire rating.

Be aware that foam tames sound reflections in a room, and does not do any soundproofing. Search Markertek for 'Markerfoam' 'Markertraps', and 'blade tiles' for the cheap stuff. Read up on room acoustics and 'acoustic room treatment' a bit to learn how to properly use it. You don't need to cover the walls, floor, and ceiling, just spend some time moving foam, recording, listening, and experiment.

I've bought one nice mic, a tube mic that requires its own little power supply. I'm told tube mics warm up the sound in a nice way, and it seems to do that. It's a Groove Tubes AM62, but it was bought before the explosion of cheap, decent mics that are available today. I also have 'The poo poo Mics' - a vintage Radio Shack 'Highball', a generic karaoke mic, and some generic cheap pieces of crap. They're for novelty value or special effects. My next one will probably be an Audio Technica AT2020.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

For anyone working on the script I put up, rest assured I appreciate it. I've been absolutely swamped at work this week. I hope you guys are having fun with it.

Stinkmeister, ifire, and Adib, I haven't had much opportunity to really go over your new submissions, but I will get back to this thread when I can.

I can get more in-depth over the weekend.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
If this will somehow violate copyright I'll take it down, but I'd love to hear people post their readings of the last paragraph of Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian:

quote:

And they are dancing, the board floor slamming under the jackboots and the fiddlers grinning hideously over their canted pieces. Towering over them all is the judge and he is naked dancing, his small feet lively and quick and now in doubletime and bowing to the ladies, huge and pale and hairless, like an enormous infant. He never sleeps, he says. He says he'll never die. He bows to the fiddlers and sashays backwards and throws back his head and laughs deep in his throat and he is a great favorite, the judge. He wafts his hat and the lunar dome of his skull passes palely under the lamps and he swings about and takes possession of one of the fiddles and he pirouettes and makes a pass, two passes, dancing and fiddling all at once. His feet are light and nimble. He never sleeps. He says that he will never die. He dances in light and in shadow and he is a great favorite. He never sleeps, the judge. He is dancing, dancing. He says that he will never die.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 3, 2012

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've always wanted to try my hand at some VO work and have done a couple little things for clients that were too cheap to spring for real VO talent. Here's one video I did a couple years ago: http://remitpro.com/check21solutions.htm

While my experience performing VO's is limited, I've actually hired quite a few voice actors for commercials and paid the good ones well. The really good (and really expensive) ones are great to work with because they take creative direction well--they understand what feel we're looking for quickly and can get a keeper within the first two or three reads. The more affordable local talent often skews waaay too far into cheeseball, over-inflected announcer speak. We can usually get what we need in the end, but it takes a lot more direction.

We recently hired this guy and he was loving fantastic to work with: http://www.studiocenter.com/voice-over-talent/larry-davis.aspx We wanted a sort of grizzled Sam Elliott sound with a subtle drawl and he nailed it on the second take.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
Name: topenga

Specialties: Female. Ethnic female? Nothing really.

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/topenga

Payment: Paypal

I haven't done this before, but whenever I see these threads I get excited.

So here's my shot at Summerset Hills. It sounded so much better in my head.

New Years Rockin' Eve Horror:

topenga fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 5, 2012

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

All righty, I've taken some time to listen in. Here's what I have to say so far:

Adib, Big News Voice 2
I’m not as skilled at the technical ability direction as The Joe Man, so follow his advice.

“This” is thrown away. Every word has to count on this read.

News – add a short “y” sound—“nyews” not “nooze.”

Here’s too drawn out. Avoid “heeeeere’s.”

Enunciate between each word, here’s and Slate blend together a bit.

Stinkmeister, Adam Eric 2
Better reads than the first time.

If you can, take a break, and practice some of the stuff The Joe Man mentioned working on.

I’d like these to be sped up a bit. Don’t rush the words. Adam is trying to stay calm and collected, like a good reporter, but there should also be a sense of urgency.

The third one: This is so over the top. I literally laughed out loud the first time I listened to it. The read was great. I like stuff like that. However, you suffered a lot in technical ability. You popped the p on palpable, and the saliva sound is pretty obvious. Read it again a few more times in a similar fashion and give me the best sounding take.

ifire, Andrew Wilkins
Unfortunately, you don’t really have the sound I’d be looking for normally with this role. You sound pretty young, but seeing as this is just for fun, I’m not too worried about it.

When you say the first “a” say it more like “uh” than “eh.”

“plunge the entire country into chaos” is mashed together. Slow that delivery down a bit. You also pitch up there and sound whiny, where I’m looking more for angry. Mister Wilkins is outraged.

You pause in a strange place between “I’ve called my congressman six times” and “since this entire debacle began.” Try to say that whole phrase in one breath.

Emphasize the six. Wilkins has called a lot in the last three days. At least twice a day. But of course HE’S on VACATION. What a lazy congressman! Doesn’t that make you angry?

This part is actually pretty tough, despite being the simple sounding “angry guy.” Try not to think about what you’re reading so much. Andrew Wilkins is the most “normal” of the characters. Everyone else is a trained journalist or the President, so they’re trained speakers. Wilkins is just a regular guy, so he really needs to sound like he’s just speaking from his heart. Really get into his head.

I want to add that finishing the word or sentence that gets cut off is a very good thing to do. It allows for a more natural sounding cut-off, in the final product, compared to one where it's obvious the speaker stopped in the middle of the word.

Topenga, Jennifer Andrea
All right, this is going to be harsh, but did you even listen to this before you uploaded it?

Maybe all you have is that tinny, tiny headset mic, so try to move it away from your mouth a bit more. You be poppin’ more than my lip gloss (and my lip gloss be poppin’!)

I can’t really comment on the read until your mic problems are fixed. It’ll take a lot of practice to find the right place. Record, listen, move your mic and repeat. Repeat until you can get a cleaner sound. I think your pops are mostly due to poor mic placement and just a poor mic in general.

Since you've never done this before, there may be some bad habits that could form if you're not careful. Plosives are a pain for a lot of newbies. To give you an idea of what's hitting the mic, hold your palm up in front of your mouth, about as far away as your mic would be, and say "please be polite" in the voice you'd use to record. You'll feel the air on your palm. That's what causes the pops.

Take a script with a lot of P's in it. Peter Piper Picked a Pack of Pickled Peppers, type of thing. Practice that, have headphones on and the volume turned up to the point where you can hear yourself. Keep at it until you know how to eliminiate pops. Still say the P sound, don't fall into the trap of substituting it with another consonant. Find a method that works for you and the mic you have, since everyone is different.

If you're serious, you'll need to get a better mic at some point. I'm not a hardware guy, but some people in this thread have posted some good stuff.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Leofish posted:

Topenga, Jennifer Andrea
All right, this is going to be harsh, but did you even listen to this before you uploaded it?

Maybe all you have is that tinny, tiny headset mic, so try to move it away from your mouth a bit more. You be poppin’ more than my lip gloss (and my lip gloss be poppin’!)

I can’t really comment on the read until your mic problems are fixed. It’ll take a lot of practice to find the right place. Record, listen, move your mic and repeat. Repeat until you can get a cleaner sound. I think your pops are mostly due to poor mic placement and just a poor mic in general.

Since you've never done this before, there may be some bad habits that could form if you're not careful. Plosives are a pain for a lot of newbies. To give you an idea of what's hitting the mic, hold your palm up in front of your mouth, about as far away as your mic would be, and say "please be polite" in the voice you'd use to record. You'll feel the air on your palm. That's what causes the pops.

Take a script with a lot of P's in it. Peter Piper Picked a Pack of Pickled Peppers, type of thing. Practice that, have headphones on and the volume turned up to the point where you can hear yourself. Keep at it until you know how to eliminate pops. Still say the P sound, don't fall into the trap of substituting it with another consonant. Find a method that works for you and the mic you have, since everyone is different.

If you're serious, you'll need to get a better mic at some point. I'm not a hardware guy, but some people in this thread have posted some good stuff.

Not harsh at all. I was using a Blue Snowball mic so I would hope that's not crappy. One thing I need to seriously work on is being able to listen to myself recorded. It's cringe inducing to me. But hey, gotta get over it if I want to get better. Lots of stuff to change up, so thanks.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

topenga posted:

I haven't done this before, but whenever I see these threads I get excited.

So here's my shot at Summerset Hills. It sounded so much better in my head.

New Years Rockin' Eve Horror:

Fix your mic problems, because I'd like to see you keep doing requests. You have potential, and can put emotion into your voice without being over the top.

As a guess, I think you might be too close to the mic. A Snowball's not the best, but it shouldn't sound like that. Do you have a stand for it or what is it sitting on?

topenga posted:

but I was holding it
Mystery solved.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 6, 2012

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

The Joe Man posted:

Fix your mic problems, because I'd like to see you keep doing requests. You have potential, and can put emotion into your voice without being over the top.

As a guess, I think you might be too close to the mic. A Snowball's not the best, but it shouldn't sound like that. Do you have a stand for it or what is it sitting on?

It's on a stand (came with a tripod) but I was holding it because I didn't think it was picking up properly. I'll definitely work on it.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I'm making a soft news piece right now for a renaissance fair. I already hired talent back in the summer, but I'll make copy of the script and near complete video when they get done next month and let you guys practice at it. I may even upload some of the goofy stuff I did.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
What I changed:
-Used my desktop instead of a laptop. Marginally better sound capabilities?
-Mic on the desk, not one inch from my face.
-Tweaked Audacity

NYE Horror:

Summerset Hills:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Name: CanuckErrant

Specialties: An average Canadian / Midwestern accent is my default speaking voice, though I can do the Stereotypical Radio Announcer and a pseudo-Russian accent. I've also got a half-decent singing voice, but don't ask me to sing Billy Idol.

Tindeck: Here. Note that since these recordings I've gotten a much, MUCH better mic. One that isn't a headset mic. Ugh.

Payment: Paypal is perfectly fine.

Edit:

oh god I can't pronounce technobabble without fumbling I am so ashamed

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 7, 2012

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Hey guys and girls - If anyone's looking for practice, here's a promo script you can sink your teeth into for something/our next 'cost us nothing' stunt we've got coming up in a week or two:

It’s the Star Fm Garage Sale of Awesome.

The Star Fm Garage Sale of Awesome. As the name suggests, it’s a garage sale, full of awesome.

If the Titanic had a garage sale, it wouldn’t come close to the Star Fm Garage Sale of Awesome.

The Star Fm Garage Sale – more than just fifty cent books and broken toys.

In the latest of their crazy ideas, Al and A.D have decided to take your typical garage sale…and inject it with two tonnes of pure unfiltered awesomeness.
It’s the Star Fm Garage Sale of Awesome where daily the boys will swap prizes for your garage sale goodies.
And in the end of it, one lucky winner will be able to sell all their collected crap…er…great stuff at their own garage sale for maximum profit!
Parts to a Magna? Baby clothes? A whole heap of VHS tapes?
Who knows what they’ll end up with!
Find out more on the station that gets its crazy ideas from deep within the bargain bin, 91.9 Star Fm!

And hell if you want to post up your efforts, go for it. Without any production budget we can't offer any money (we could send you a maccas dinner box but it's only good for this town so it doesn't help) but if we end up using any of your stuff, we'll email through a produced version for your own portfolio. With processing, music and stuff that sounds good. Which might get you hired for the voice of an autobot in Transformers 4 or something. Any questions, just shoot.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Camo Guitar posted:

Hey guys and girls - If anyone's looking for practice, here's a promo script you can sink your teeth into for something/our next 'cost us nothing' stunt we've got coming up in a week or two:
College radio is the best. I had a lot of fun working at my local station. Hope you're enjoying yourself too!

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Camo Guitar posted:

I look forward to being able to knock this one out when I can be a bit more boisterous tomorrow!

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
15-20 years ago I was heavily into performing stage plays. Haven't really done anything theatrical since.

This Saturday I have a voice audition for a small local video game producer. They sent me a casting list, and a few sides to look over. Any tips?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Meow Cadet posted:

This Saturday I have a voice audition for a small local video game producer. They sent me a casting list, and a few sides to look over. Any tips?

Speak a little slower than you're used to so that your words are distinct. Have fun and an upbeat attitude, doing voicework should be loads of fun for you. Smile often, this will brighten your sound. Try not to move around too much from wherever they have you facing the mic, it will keep the studio engineer from pulling out their hair.

Most importantly, have fun! WOOO! Voiceovers!

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

CuddleChunks posted:

Speak a little slower than you're used to so that your words are distinct. Have fun and an upbeat attitude, doing voicework should be loads of fun for you. Smile often, this will brighten your sound. Try not to move around too much from wherever they have you facing the mic, it will keep the studio engineer from pulling out their hair.

Most importantly, have fun! WOOO! Voiceovers!

Oooh, thanks. I probably would move around while talking, if you hadn't said anything. I'll have to practice these sides while staying still. Should I memorize these lines since I have them in advance? Or is it best to just semi-cold read them?

'Back in the day' I would do a bunch of goofy vocal warm-up exercises before a performance. These vocal warm-ups often integrated body warm-ups as well. Do you VO people do that too? Anyone have a link to some more modern exercises?

Also, I've never really used a microphone before. (Except for one terrible VO video game audition in 1992) Do I put myself right on top of the mic? Or away from it a few inches? Or any tips?

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

CuddleChunks posted:

College radio is the best. I had a lot of fun working at my local station. Hope you're enjoying yourself too!

Actually we're a commercial radio station in a provincial gold mining town ;)

And your read was quite awesome - clear and concise with plenty of fun. Also it's great to see that you haven't driven the wav right through the roof of the editor (which so many people do at some stage) We'll definately be using this on air so I'll post up the imaging when it's done and some of it from on air when it's used - top job CuddleChunks! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I had some fun with this one! Little did I know due to my headphones being on that the girl scouts were calling around the neighborhood and every dog decided to freak out on most of my little takes :)

Anyway, here's a dog-free take in my "giving away a car" voice not meant for big serious radio!

optional comedy option take after I totally lost my low end at the end

Nothing like a little puking DJ voice in the evening. Also are you supposed to do these in one go?! Put any energy into it and boy am I out of air