Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Hey, let's have some fun!

I've recorded a little demo about reading speed and diction. The clearer you are when you read the part, the better. Also, SLOW DOWN! It's amazing how a piece of text will sound much better when you take more pauses and do your utmost not to rush.

Here is the text I wrote for the piece and I'd love to hear other people's take on it. You don't have to do anything other than read it and be totally silly. Try to keep whatever goofy voice you use clear and *slow down*. But that doesn't mean you can't impersonate Cobra Commander or Henry Kissinger. Go nuts!

Some text:
Behold! My ultimate creation! This product of my pure genius will finally rid me of that meddlesome do-gooder Captain Fantastic. Oh yes, and with him out of the picture then the lovely Elaine will have no choice but to fall madly in love with me. Look at how the machine glistens and hums with the sound of trapped power. Mine! The power is all mine and I choose to use it to end Captain Fantastic. Ho ho ho, oh yes, today will be a day of reckoning for it is on this very day just ten years ago that I first met that blasted paragon of virtue and Elaine fell into his muscly arms. But not this time, oh no, this time it will be different. I have the machine and soon I will have Elaine. Muahahahah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

CuddleChunks posted:

Some text:
Behold! My ultimate creation! This product of my pure genius will finally rid me of that meddlesome do-gooder Captain Fantastic. Oh yes, and with him out of the picture then the lovely Elaine will have no choice but to fall madly in love with me. Look at how the machine glistens and hums with the sound of trapped power. Mine! The power is all mine and I choose to use it to end Captain Fantastic. Ho ho ho, oh yes, today will be a day of reckoning for it is on this very day just ten years ago that I first met that blasted paragon of virtue and Elaine fell into his muscly arms. But not this time, oh no, this time it will be different. I have the machine and soon I will have Elaine. Muahahahah!

I can't really not do this for fun. I'll upload something Friday night.

EDIT: Just listened to your instructional. Very good advice, especially for folks that have a tendency to rush through a script.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 25, 2012

Blamethrower
Nov 26, 2006

Hello VO thread!

First off, i'm willing to pay £30/$50 via paypal to the chosen goon.

I'm looking for someone to record a narration for my short doc about the universe. The doc is made up of talking heads and shots of the universe created in after effects. A voice over will run thorough the doc providing an intro and connecting the questions. Ideally I would like it before Sunday 29th.(sorry for the short turn-around)

Specific request - it needs to be sent to me as a 16bit 48khz MONO .wav file.

---------------------------------
Script:

The Universe.

It is everything we know. Every star, every planet, every galaxy. Infinitely small and infinitely large, the universe is now known to be approximately 14 billion years old - a measurement taken from the time of the Big Bang. But what was the Big Bang?

Light cannot travel instantaneously. Light travels at a specific speed. Therefore, when you look out into the night sky, you are effectively looking back in time. The further away we look, the further back in time we see - enabling us to see all the way back to the big bang with the use of powerful telescopes in orbit.

The observable universe is a spherical region of space that we are able to see. Objects at the edge of the observable universe have had enough time for their light to reach us here on Earth, making them visible. The observable universe has a diameter of approximately 93 billion light years - making the distance from earth to the edge of the observable universe around 46 billion light years. In short, nobody knows what lies past the edge, as it is unobservable.

There are between 200-400 billion stars in the milky way. But there could be more galaxies in the universe today than there are stars in the milky way. How did all these stars and galaxies form?

-------------------------------------

Any questions or submissions - lamethrower AT hotmail.co.uk

Thanks goons!

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
is that lamethrower AT hotmail.co.uk

or blamethrower AT hotmail.co.uk
?

EDIT: blamethrower AT hotmail.co.uk failed, so I guess it is lamethrower

ChaosTheory fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 25, 2012

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Blamethrower posted:

Hello VO thread!

I'm looking for someone to record a narration for my short doc about the universe. The doc is made up of talking heads and shots of the universe created in after effects. A voice over will run thorough the doc providing an intro and connecting the questions. Ideally I would like it before Sunday 29th.(sorry for the short turn-around)

Script:

The Universe.

It is everything we know. Every star, every planet, every galaxy. Infinitely small and infinitely large, the universe is now known to be approximately 14 billion years old - a measurement taken from the time of the Big Bang. But what was the Big Bang?

Light cannot travel instantaneously. Light travels at a specific speed. Therefore, when you look out into the night sky, you are effectively looking back in time. The further away we look, the further back in time we see - enabling us to see all the way back to the big bang with the use of powerful telescopes in orbit.

The observable universe is a spherical region of space that we are able to see. Objects at the edge of the observable universe have had enough time for their light to reach us here on Earth, making them visible. The observable universe has a diameter of approximately 93 billion light years - making the distance from earth to the edge of the observable universe around 46 billion light years. In short, nobody knows what lies past the edge, as it is unobservable.

There are between 200-400 billion stars in the milky way. But there could be more galaxies in the universe today than there are stars in the milky way. How did all these stars and galaxies form?

Thanks goons!

Awesome, thanks for the opportunity. Assuming you don't choose the first one you hear, I can send over my submission within the next few days (Friday evening).

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 26, 2012

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Blamethrower posted:

I'm looking for someone to record a narration for my short doc about the universe.
Neat! I'll definitely submit a reading.

Blamethrower
Nov 26, 2006

ChaosTheory posted:

is that lamethrower AT hotmail.co.uk

or blamethrower AT hotmail.co.uk
?

EDIT: blamethrower AT hotmail.co.uk failed, so I guess it is lamethrower

Yeah sorry, lamethrower! thanks

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.
I've done voice acting for game mods for years and years now, and I actually considered doing a demo reel and applying at ADV Films to do both English and Spanish anime dubs, because I was living near Houston, but that never came through.

Name: Lolitas Alright!

Specialties: Anything that requires a somewhat-deeper female voice, accents ("Posh" English, "Chav" English, Irish, Russian, German, pretty much any American regional accent from New York to Southern to Midwestern to Valley Girl), singing (Alto with a wide range, can go up to mezzo-soprano and down to high tenor, trained in musical theater and some opera). I also act, my specialty being Shakespeare, so dramatic or comedic readings are second-nature to me by now. Notable characters include Harley Quinn, Cartman, Joanne from "RENT", and Kate Monster.

Tindeck: COMING SOON with sample clips from the game mods I've voiced for and some singing bits.

Payment: Can be discussed via PM.

Adib
Jan 23, 2012

These are strange times, my dear...

Blamethrower posted:

Hello VO thread!

Script:

The Universe.

Thanks goons!

This is wonderful; thanks so much for the opportunity. I'll probably submit my attempt over the weekend.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
I sent you my submission, hope it works for you. Thanks for the opportunity!

Any other VO folks going to be at the East Coast Gaming Conference today? If so, let me know and we can meet up!

Blamethrower
Nov 26, 2006

Thanks for the submissions so far guys, they've all been great! I'll make a decision sunday night (GMT) to allow everyone who wants to submit to do so.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Name: private
Specialties: Voice-over, several languages and accents, poetry
Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/thejazztaxi
Relevant experience and skills:

> I have a good deal of experience in public speaking (audience range between 20 and over 800) as well as prose and poetry reading
> My native language is Belgian Dutch. My (slight) accent could be either an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on what you're looking for.
> I'm currently doing some voice-over and presentation work in English for the company I'm employed at.
> I can do a good impression of French, Flemish and German accents in English as well as the French, German and Dutch-Dutch accent in Dutch.

Samples:

> English (I used the standard phrases from The Accent Archive)

> German (from Der Spiegel)

> French (from RTBF)

> Dutch (from DeRedactie)

Payment: TBD

Comments welcome, of course.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Just want to point out that anyone who wants to update their information in the 2nd post with a new Tindeck or IMDB/Portfolio link or whatever is free to let me know (post/PM) and I'll change it for ya.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sent you the reading, Blamethrower. Should come in just under 9mb.

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh
I'm currently voicing a series of short animated videos for an Xbox indie video game called Brand that released a month or so ago.

Would love for you guys to check them out.

Another one coming out soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA5gMRb5dQs

Adib
Jan 23, 2012

Just sent you my reading as well, Blamethrower. Thanks again!

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh
Blame, sent you a submission. :)

Blamethrower
Nov 26, 2006

Thanks again to everyone who sent a submission! They were all great and it was fantastic to have such a diverse range of voices to choose from.

It was very difficult making a decision, but in the end I decided to go with Dirtydeluxx! The reading was perfect and I can't imagine changing anything about it - so email me your paypal address!

DirtyDeluxxx
Feb 10, 2007
Yeeeeeeeah!!!!
Probably should post this...uploading the read I did right now. I work in radio, commercial voicework included in the job description. I get most of our super high energy reads. I can add more commercial work to the Tindeck profile just for more examples.

Name: DirtyDeluxxx

Specialties: News reads, sports announcing, speed reads, various styles (generic nice guy, the triple-e -energetic, enthusiastic, emphatic - and others) Impressions include Jim Rome, NFL Films voice, Wacky-AM DJ, multiple accents, among others.

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/DirtyDeluxxx -- This is an amalgam of stuff I do, more than just voicing. Haven't had time to really organize or filter anything.

Payment: Email me

DirtyDeluxxx fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 30, 2012

DirtyDeluxxx
Feb 10, 2007
Yeeeeeeeah!!!!

CuddleChunks posted:

Some text:

Here's a take on Capt. Fantastic...

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Blamethrower posted:

Thanks again to everyone who sent a submission! They were all great and it was fantastic to have such a diverse range of voices to choose from.

It was very difficult making a decision, but in the end I decided to go with Dirtydeluxx! The reading was perfect and I can't imagine changing anything about it - so email me your paypal address!
Thanks for posting the job, and let us know if there's any work in the future!

To everyone that submitted, it might be kinda fun/interesting to hear the different readings and how each person envisioned a "documentary style."

Here was my submission:

EDIT: If you're uploading to Tindeck, you probably want to convert it to .mp3 first. Tindeck doesn't handle .wavs too well and they're about 5x larger as well.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 30, 2012

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh
Was this a good reading of it?

Apparently mine can't be streamed...

Fiction D fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 30, 2012

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Fiction D posted:

Was this a good reading of it?

Apparently mine can't be streamed...

Amplify the volume about 5dBs, save it as an .mp3, then reupload.

Fiction D posted:

I'll do that tonight. Your reading is fantastic by the way.
Thanks! I'll check yours out after you re-up it.

EDIT: Also, I checked out that video. Are you the Troglodyte voice? Sounds good to me, but there's not much I can recommend due to the nature of it being a "monster voice." Any other narration or more natural clips you've done?

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 30, 2012

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh
I'll do that tonight. Your reading is fantastic by the way.

Adib
Jan 23, 2012

This was my take:

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
how did those galaxies formed?

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh

The Joe Man posted:

EDIT: Also, I checked out that video. Are you the Troglodyte voice? Sounds good to me, but there's not much I can recommend due to the nature of it being a "monster voice." Any other narration or more natural clips you've done?

Aside from the universe thing, I've recently done a video with the university I work for. I'll post it as soon as it launches, should be a day or two.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Name: James "Jossi" Rossi

Specialties: Emotive medium-low to medium-high voice. Good for on the level documentaries or off the wall acting roles. Ugh, that sounds corny...

Tindeck:
Feel free to dig around: http://tindeck.com/users/JossiRossi

Payment: Paypal

So, a few years back I got into doing voice acting. I'd always enjoyed acting in high school and kept it up afterward for a while. I was pretty inspired by System Shock 2 for it's use of the audio logs and the game's sound design as a whole. I even went to a very neat audio program at the Center for Digital Imaging Arts at Boston University. Full time crash course in all things audio which I came away with a lot of neat skills and tools. I then promptly had a severe breakdown, was put on meds, and proceeded to lose two years of my life (and multiple acting roles in the fantastic Pendant Productions who produce a bunch of great audio shows. I highly suggest anyone here interested in that to check them out) to an admittedly pleasant medically induced lethargy.

So despite the relative confidence in myself and abilities, I have so little to back it up and so little experience that it is pretty disheartening. Anyway, not here for a drat sob story. Basically saying, I really want to get back to being involved in these things, because well I loving love this poo poo.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
As someone who's just starting out, what do I do for copies? Is there a good source for things to read?

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

CuddleChunks posted:

I recorded this with two different character voices. This is the first one.

Overproduced as usual, obviously.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

CaptainYesterday posted:

As someone who's just starting out, what do I do for copies? Is there a good source for things to read?
Anything and everything! Shampoo bottles, posts on SA, News articles. Quite literally everything.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

DirtyDeluxxx posted:

Here's a take on Capt. Fantastic...

Nicely done! I was afraid you were about to pop something as your voice got higher and higher, hahah very nice.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Ahahahah wow, this is a fantastic take on the piece. I hope little Heinrich isn't disappointed when his boss's machine doesn't work quite as expected :ohdear:

CaptainYesterday posted:

Go to the top of the page and try your hand at some silly mad scientist blather: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3461287&pagenumber=7#post402975134 If you are link impaired.

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh
I gave the Captain fantastic a shot. :)

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I recorded this with two different character voices. This is the first one.

If that was you barking that's the best dog bark I've heard since Paul McCartney

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh
I'm the gangly creature next to Miss Delaware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtGC-P1i1Mo&feature=youtu.be

Thoughts?

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I'm not a voice actor but I am a recording engineer, and I just tracked and edited a sizable VO project so I thought I would check this thread out. Normally I would spend time tracking full bands, which can be very finicky... A talented voice artist was a real pleasure to work with and I'm sort of keen on recording this stuff now. If anyone in this thread has recording-related questions I'd be happy to field them!

Also, if you live in Vancouver, BC I could conceivably help track your stuff. Check out https://www.nimbusrecording.com to see where I'm currently studying/working.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 5, 2012

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Fiction D posted:

I'm the gangly creature next to Miss Delaware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtGC-P1i1Mo&feature=youtu.be

Thoughts?
You sound natural which is good.

Nothing noticeable stood out for me, but that also may have been because I was wondering why the camera man loves rack focuses so much.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

I only had a half hour to record:

Bleghhh definitely not my best.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Recently Halflife2.net rebranded itself as valvetime.net and we started up a weekly new roundup with me doing the voice. I've been doing it for about 2 months now but would appreciate some critical feedback. Right now I have people saying stuff like my voice reminds them of Clint Eastwood which... well I don't even know what they are thinking. So some outside opinions would really really be appreciated so I can improve.

Week 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV4QBnQs0D0

Week 7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Trp3MiB1Uw

The biggest glaring problem with the most recent news bit is being a bit disjointed, I didn't have the time needed to clean that up and smooth the transitions unfortunately which drives me nuts as I listen.

So, what can I do better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
What's the consensus on commercial demos? Is it better for the quality of the different bits on the demo to sound different, as if they were actual spots, or for them to sound the same, so it doesn't sound like you just couldn't get a consistent sound? I've seen conflicting opinions and can't seem to find a straight answer one way or the other. I'm constructing a new commercial demo now (finally) and have a couple of real spots I'd like to use, but most of them are going to be fake--is that mismatch in quality going to work against me? Should I just record all fake spots for the sake of the demo? Additionally, what different types of reads should I be aiming to include? I have a naturally young, energetic voice, so most of what I include will reflect that--including one in character as a young girl--save for the clip of one of my recent commercials where I do the low, sexy/seductive thing. Should I be aiming for more variety (one "straight sell", one wildly enthusiastic, one "real person", one bright and perky, etc.) or just doing what will highlight what I do best? I know the answer is whatever will show clients why they would want to hire me, but is that a bunch of potential things they "would" want (i.e. all the different reads), or am I SHOWING it to them so that they'll hear it and say hey, we like this (i.e. what I think I do the very best)? And any ideas for fake businesses I should use? Right now it's a hybrid of real and fake--ideas taken from real VOs I've done, but with names changed, rerecorded, etc. if I couldn't find or for some reason couldn't otherwise use the original.

I'm also working on my first narration demo, which is going to be REALLY hard to limit to just one minute, yeesh. I've got bits from an in-flight video, a tour bus audio guide, and an e-learning module I voiced (all real spots I've actually done, but rerecorded/with names and such changed, except for the e-learning thing which I'm taking straight from the recording I actually made), and I made up a children's audiobook excerpt (to show off some different voices in a childrens' story context), "real" book excerpt, and a phone message. Anything else I should be aiming to include? I'm a bit concerned about the redundancy of the in-flight video AND tour bus guide narrations, but the former is more instructional and the latter shows off my pronunciation of Korean words (I speak pretty authentic-sounding Korean for a very white girl) so I feel like they each have their own purposes, but I'm not sure. And is even a narration demo supposed to be kept down to a minute? That's REALLY rough.

And thanks to everyone who replied to my last post, you really helped me get in gear with all this! I already shortened/remixed my animation demo (from 1:28 to :56, wow!) and am now working on, as I mentioned, a commercial demo and a narration demo. Hooray! I keep rearranging the animation demo, though...I keep feeling like it could be better arranged differently, but I don't know how. I know I also tend to have perfectionistic tendencies with this stuff, though, so I could be being too hard on myself again.

I welcome any and all of your thoughts on these matters. =)

Edit: Oh ffs, I just had a rousing round of "Where The F Is That Hum Coming From In My Signal Chain" and after checking every single connection, taking my external hard drive off my computer desk, switching off and on all of my external processors...it was my stupid receiver. So it looks like I'm going to have to do headphones while recording and monitors only while editing, bleeeeeeeggghhhh

blinkeve1826 fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 7, 2012