Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Name: The Aphasian

Specialties: I have a deep, pleasant voice that sounds authoritative.

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/theaphasian Will make an official demo reel someday, currently has random uploads but you can get a feel for my voice.

Payment: Mostly want critiques now, if the project is bigger we can negotiate.

I use a Sony H2 Zoom in a sound dampening cube I rigged up.

I really want to get into this, but need some critiques and pointers.

I took a voice and diction class, and can do accents, but only by way of the fairly accurate but arduous process of transcribing them in IPA, something I haven't done in years. I worked at an NPR affiliate for a couple of years in Marquette, Mich. and my voice is still used for bumpers and promos at Public TV 13 there.

I really think we should make a Google group for real-time workshopping, provided one of us is knowledgeable enough that we aren't teaching each other bad habits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Well, I'd be interested in hearing goon renditions of "The Raven" (Shakespeare). I want to do a sample of this myself too just to get some feedback/criticism on my voice; I've been told I read out loud pretty well but I have never been critiqued on how to improve my voice or given an idea of how much I could do with it. I'll probably post my voice once gunk stops dripping down my throat and making me cough it up, hopefully in the next few days.

e: I guess I should link to it even if it's trivial to google: http://famouspoetsandpoems.com/poets/edgar_allan_poe/poems/18848

Posting this for feedback:

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

The Joe Man posted:

It's supposed to be a 30s spot, but I don't care about time requirements. Just want to hear how you sound with something more down to earth.

quote:

Getting that promotion at work must feel good. Why not celebrate moving up by moving to Summerset Hills? The neighborhoods of Summerset Hills are now entering into their third phase of building! Choose from dozens of single-family homes on pie shaped lots tucked away on Lilies Fair Court, perfect for young families and parents who want a safe and secluded street on which to raise their kids. With homes selling quickly, you’d better act now so that you can move into your dream home before the first snowfall! Open houses are being held every Saturday and Sunday from 12 until 4. To learn more about the Summerset community, visit our website online or call 555-3125. Summerset Hills: move in today and stay for a lifetime.

Hey, I'd love some feedback too. Tried more emotion this time (thanks Nessa), but it's hard at 250 wpm.

That copywriter should be shot, preferably with a tranq gun or syringe filled with Quaaludes.
Not audible: a 3-second gasp for breath half-way through that I edited out.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

The Joe Man posted:

Well, good hustle. Reason I said no time-constraints is because as you've demonstrated, it'll sound ridiculous in 30s. I'd like to hear you do another take sloooower. Can't accurately judge this one other than I'd like a more emotionally-appealing ending. Slow it down and I can take another listen.

Also breathe (or you'll die).

Here's a more sane take; the 30 second challenge was too tempting I guess. Thanks for taking the time to give us all feedback.

Listening to it after uploading, "must feel good" sounds wierd.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

One of the benefits of overcoming a mumbling speech impediment is that I enunciate fairly well and didn't even know popping was a problem people had until radio coworkers commented that I seemed to be immune, although the monotone thing is still something I struggle with obviously.

Unfortunately, I still mumble in face to face communications sometimes (although never on the phone), so I'd have to be careful about that if I ever met a potential client in person. I can only guess that it is because the "therapy" centered on making me record myself and play it back over and over until it matched a sample tape.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I would like to try Wilkins in order to practice emotional delivery.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

titties posted:

I'm just waiting on my new mic and whatnot before I start recording again. The boom arrived today, hopefully the rest will get here tomorrow.

I started posting in this thread by wondering if my voice could overcome the limitations of my gear. Now I hope my gear can overcome the limitations of my voice.

Something I've noticed in my own practice is that I always sound a lot better until I start recording. Then it feels like it used to when I would audition for solos in choir. My voice seems much thinner, like I have to fight my throat to get the sound out. I know practice will help with this, but has anyone dealt with this before? Are there any particular tricks or techniques or whatever that you'd recommend?

I worked at a public radio station in college and never had any problem with the live news breaks or announcements, but when I went to record segments for overnight (station broadcast 24/7, but had no on-air staff from 10-5) I'd screw up, get flustered, voice cracking nonsense. Simply knowing that if I messed up I could stop and start again made me screw up more than the pressure of knowing that there was no going back during a live cut in. Eventually I had to just tell myself "Only two recordings, first practice, keep the second no matter what", which made for some very poor attempts for a couple days before ironing it out and becoming just as good as live.

This isn't a perfect example since "live-sounding" meant I still made occasional stumbles or had pacing issues, and for recording you want a polished piece, but it highlights the psychological impact of situational performance.

I suggest practicing while recording. Just record everything as soon as you start to read the copy out loud, provided you have the storage for it. Hopefully your software or equipment allows for "bookmarking" your recording, but if not clap or humm loudly for a few moments (to find it easier) if you think you've just had a good take while "practicing". It may feel like Tourettes, but it may help. You just need to break down the mental barrier between "I'm practicing, easy peasy, no pressure, just having fun" and "THIS IS FOR ALL THE TOMATOES, DO OR DIE". Sometimes I think putting yourself in that "Okay, game face time" is a terrible idea.

At the very least it will help you practice breath control, posture and related mic craft while also familiarizing yourself with the material. You want to make working with a microphone something you don't have to think about 90% of the time, so you can concentrate on performing the copy correctly.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Shalinor posted:

We're spinning up the SA GameDev VII game dev challenge, if anyone's game. Past entries have definitely made use of voice actors, and without folks like you, we'll suffer the hell of "programmers yelling into webcam mics".

Seemed apropos

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Too late to the part but maybe some feedback will come my way:

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Are you going to do the effects edits (over the radio distortion, etc.)? And I'll try to do one tonight, Davis or Kevin. I'll send an email too, to get context and maybe hear your lines.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

King Lou posted:

This thread you speak of... she doesn't exist...

In other news someone just asked me to do some free recording for some educational presentation and I did it... came out ok. Bored at work I guess. I just hope that all this talk of students, synax & compiling isn't really just a secret commercial for Pepsi.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3503193

Looks like he truncated the thread id.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Apropos of nothing, that Blue Yeti microphone everyone loves is on sale at Woot for $99 until Nov. 27.

http://www.woot.com/plus/i-got-dem-blue-microphone-blues

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I've been playing with those Delayed Audio Feedback apps and boy do they gently caress me up. My wife (a teacher) and all her teacher friends are unaffected. I know accidental audio delay is sometimes an issue with computer recording, and, just out of curiosity, does it mess you guys up as bad as me? I think the teachers are immune because they have to ignore distractions while talking for a living, but I'm trying to figure out if I'm super sensitive because I'm used to immediate feedback on my voice so that I can correct mouth sounds, popping, sibilant whistling, etc. This is driving me insane, partly because they half believe I'm faking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Captain Bravo posted:

:siren: If you want Holiday Voice Work, read this post! :siren:

Emailed you as well.