Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
15-20 years ago I was heavily into performing stage plays. Haven't really done anything theatrical since.

This Saturday I have a voice audition for a small local video game producer. They sent me a casting list, and a few sides to look over. Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

CuddleChunks posted:

Speak a little slower than you're used to so that your words are distinct. Have fun and an upbeat attitude, doing voicework should be loads of fun for you. Smile often, this will brighten your sound. Try not to move around too much from wherever they have you facing the mic, it will keep the studio engineer from pulling out their hair.

Most importantly, have fun! WOOO! Voiceovers!

Oooh, thanks. I probably would move around while talking, if you hadn't said anything. I'll have to practice these sides while staying still. Should I memorize these lines since I have them in advance? Or is it best to just semi-cold read them?

'Back in the day' I would do a bunch of goofy vocal warm-up exercises before a performance. These vocal warm-ups often integrated body warm-ups as well. Do you VO people do that too? Anyone have a link to some more modern exercises?

Also, I've never really used a microphone before. (Except for one terrible VO video game audition in 1992) Do I put myself right on top of the mic? Or away from it a few inches? Or any tips?

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Well I auditioned on Saturday for that video game role. I was surprised that it wasn't in a recording studio, but in an annex of a local theatre. They were running a bit behind and I got to see 2-3 other girls and a guy audition before me. That was a little weird, but at the same time kinda nice to ease the nerves.

I read my sides, was a bit more 'theatrical' than the other people I saw auditioning, not sure if that was good or bad. They also gave me a short monologue to cold read (although I saw the other girls do it). I tripped over a word, my childhood speech impediment decided to show up while I was trying to say the word "dark" of all things. But I just powered through it and didn't stop (but went back to reread that sentence). One of the other girls messed up, and had to stop and restart the whole thing while giggling and laughing and apologizing. In my mind, time is money baby!

Anyway, long story short, I got 2 parts! Not the lead, but 1 small role of someone that gets killed, and one larger role that will be in all 4 episodes of this game, with a email confirmation that they will hire me for all 4 episodes.

$100 for 2 hours-max of work. Not bad. I record this week or next, not sure yet.

Anyway, thanks for the tips!

edit: $100 for 2 hours of work sounds great to me, but I'm wondering if that's a normal rate. What do you commercial guys get, typically? (I know it's not about the money, I'm just curious)

Meow Cadet fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 13, 2012

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Back in February I did my first VO job for a video game. They said I would get called back in April for the next installment (the game is in 4 episodes). I haven't heard anything from them, and I'm tempted to send a "Can't wait to hear from you" email, but I'm afraid that might be a little too pushy. Any thoughts?

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

The Joe Man posted:

Where are people getting these video game jobs?!

(No for real I wanna know)

I got mine from craigslist, on a random search for the suburb I live in.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Is it ever appropriate to ad-lib or slightly alter a script while recording? I have a video game gig, and the script seems a stiff on paper...

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I got a part!

There was a random post on my local Craigslist for voice actors for a cartoon web series. I responded, and auditioned today. A few hours later, I was offered a part. Recording conflicts with my day-job, but I'll try and work it out. This is not a paid gig, but it should be fun. The ego boost for being offered a role is stupid. I want to brag to everyone I know, but I know that's lame. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I just found out a regular customer of mine (I'm in retail) is the V/O guy that did all the "Please keep you hands and feet inside the ride at all times" type thing at Disney Land when I was a kid. I've heard him "put on the voice" before, but I thought he was just a really good impersonator. He said working for Disney for umpteen years was the best job he ever had. Besides recording safety announcements, he MC'd concerts and parades and stuff. So jealous! Hearing him gave me shivers down my arms. He's such a cool nice guy.