Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Former radio guy here who once had a dream to get into Voice Acting. Went to college for radio, worked at a (college) radio station on contract for a year, made a voice demo but after meeting some voice actors IRL I realized I probably don't have the chops to do it. I do have a tindeck with my various demos (mainly spots/imaging I recorded for the station I was at) but I'd have to drag it up.

Either way, if anyone has questions about the radio business (which tends to be a bit of a springboard for a lot of people wanting to get into VA/VO work) I can answer some stuff too.

[edit] Also, just so you know, the reason a lot of VAs now have radio/broadcasting backgrounds is because it's such a competitive industry that you need experience to get a job. It's a lot easier getting work when you have similar experience and radio/broadcasting is pretty much the way most people get it and get known.

robodex fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

Rabbit Hill posted:

I'm lucky enough to work at a university that offers courses in voice training for actors, but I'm wondering what kind of training I can do on my own (besides practicing reading aloud). Can you share some tips/techniques/exercises that have helped you train your voice? Any good vocal warm-ups you recommend?

Who are your voice acting idols?

You can warm up all you want, but really reading out loud is one of the best things you can do. When I was in school it was the #1 thing they told us to do--just read out loud every single night. Focus on enunciation, not slurring words, not stuttering and being able to read clearly and emotively no matter what you're reading.

Seriously, no matter what awesome funny voices you can do, nobody's going to hire you if you can't read from a script. Even if you're already good at reading out loud, keep doing it.

Also, Voice Acting isn't just people able to do silly voices really well. There's a huge demand for natural-sounding voices--just think, how often do you hear a funny voice on the radio? On a TV commercial? In narration? Unless you're expecting to pidgeonhole yourself into doing exclusively anime, cartoons and video games, practice using your natural voice over all else. You're doing yourself much more of a service practising using your normal voice than using a funny voice since A) if you're serious about voicework, you'll probably get more and B) it helps your speaking overall if you can enunciate/read well with your natural voice.

Also, I found my tindeck. I'm not a professional and never will be, and I'm not going to put a profile up, but some of what I've done: http://tindeck.com/users/robodex . All my work is stuff that's newer than 11 months old (pretty much everything from "Humber Live Intro.") I don't have any equipment now since I was spoiled and had unlimited studio access back at the station, but I do intend to get a Blue Yeti once I have some more space to set up a real studio. So for now I'm not going to bother with a profile since I don't really have access to any sort of equipment.

[edit] And I'm nthing the Audition recommendation; it's a pretty easy-to-use editing suite while not being stupidly expensive (like Pro Tools.) A lot of radio/broadcasting programs are teaching it now.

robodex fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 18, 2012

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

imnotinsane posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xL59CxfOWs

Anyone want to give a go at making a similar ad? Haha he always cracks me up. Its untapped market!

Couldn't find the Doors Doors Doors one.

It sounds like he's either laughing or trying to stifle a cough throughout the entire ad.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

One thing I find really helps when doing reads is printing off the script and marking it yourself. Mark things like emphasis, where you want your voice to rise/fall, even where you breathe. It's up to you how exactly to mark it up; whatever you're comfortable with is best. But I find when reading scripts/lines it's a lot easier to map everything out on the page rather than trying to remember how you wanted to read the script. (Especially on breaths--I've read copy before that has had some stupidly long sentences, and it has helped me immensely marking exactly where I thought the best places to breathe was.)

[edit] Also, it turns out my roommate has some pretty nice mics due to music stuff so I might try to steal some from him and contribute to the thread. It's been about six months since I've done voice stuff so I'm pretty rusty but this thread has sparked my interest to go again :)